Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

AD not a done deal?

Started by RME, November 17, 2017, 11:38:42 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Tusks

there is 0% chance BB is HC of the Hogs next season.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

The NewEra

Quote from: NuttinItUp on November 17, 2017, 12:33:00 pm
Why would more than one candidate accept the same AD position?

That makes no sense at all.

Then you don't understand how this works.  At the end of the discussion with them you ask:  "If offered the position, would you be interested and willing to accept it?"

Etowah

Bo didn't say it would be Jan 1st....he said at least by Jan 1st.

A big difference.

I think there is at least a 50/50 chance BB is not fired.  He may resign...but good chance the AD will hire the next coach and that may not be this year.

31to6

Quote from: longtimeHogfan on November 17, 2017, 12:21:02 pm
I never say never but.....most coaches would want to know who their boss is going to be before taking the job. 
Or be promised input into the interview process.

Citizen2729

If Gus is their first choice, you have time on the AD position. Auburn's run at a NC has to play out, and it could be over at the Iron Bowl or go all the way. If it is truly Gus's job to turn down they will have to wait and see how it goes from here for Auburn. The man can't leave right now even if he want's to be the HC of the Hogs next year with a legit chance at a NC on the radar.

HF#1

Quote from: Etowah on November 17, 2017, 12:42:49 pm
Bo didn't say it would be Jan 1st....he said at least by Jan 1st.

A big difference.

I think there is at least a 50/50 chance BB is not fired.  He may resign...but good chance the AD will hire the next coach and that may not be this year.

He didn't say anything that wasn't in the release.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

NuttinItUp

Quote from: The NewEra on November 17, 2017, 12:39:48 pm
Then you don't understand how this works.  At the end of the discussion with them you ask:  "If offered the position, would you be interested and willing to accept it?"

Sure, but more than one cannot actually accept the same position. That is the part that doesn't make sense.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: tusked on November 17, 2017, 12:38:51 pm
there is 0% chance BB is HC of the Hogs next season.

There are very few things that are 0% or 100%. This is not one of them.

(note: 0.01% does not equal 0%)

jgphillips3

It is 44 days until January 1st.  Assuming the new AD has a job, I can see them taking some time to wind down current business affairs and doing family things during the holidays before going "full time" at the UofA but I doubt seriously they aren't named very, very soon.

The NewEra

Quote from: NuttinItUp on November 17, 2017, 12:56:34 pm
Sure, but more than one cannot actually accept the same position. That is the part that doesn't make sense.

It's not a formal offer of employment, but one of contingency.  It's called a pre-close.  The part that makes it incredibly easy is you already know up front what the basic compensation would be, which keeps comp from being a stickler in the end. 

Again, the question is:  "If offered the position, would you be interested and willing to accept it?"

rhog1

Quote from: jgphillips3 on November 17, 2017, 12:58:51 pm
It is 44 days until January 1st.  Assuming the new AD has a job, I can see them taking some time to wind down current business affairs and doing family things during the holidays before going "full time" at the UofA but I doubt seriously they aren't named very, very soon.
It would have to be soon for an AD. We need a new coach as soon as possible to try and salvage recruiting. So we need an AD to hire him.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: The NewEra on November 17, 2017, 01:01:10 pm
It's not a formal offer of employment, but one of contingency.  It's called a pre-close.  The part that makes it incredibly easy is you already know up front what the basic compensation would be, which keeps comp from being a stickler in the end. 

Again, the question is:  "If offered the position, would you be interested and willing to accept it?"

Thank you, but again, I understand that part.

The part that doesn't make sense is two people being employed as AD at the same time. That can not and will not happen.

devildoghawg

I hope this is the GOBN's attempt to flush out Longs remaining leakers by setting Bo up.  Sounds far fetched, but it's what I would do. 
Quote from: kingofdequeen on July 25, 2013, 06:21:48 pm
If you've got a dumba** son, do you love him any less?  no.  you just overlook his faults b/c you love him.  At least that's what my dad does.

The NewEra

Quote from: NuttinItUp on November 17, 2017, 01:02:31 pm
Thank you, but again, I understand that part.

The part that doesn't make sense is two people being employed as AD at the same time. That can not and will not happen.

You must be toying with me.  I don't think I can make the point any clearer than I already have.

Jonbo

Quote from: Tim Harris on November 17, 2017, 11:51:30 am
I agree but I don't think it would look good to announce a new AD within a week of firing your old one.  We all know things have been going on behinds the scenes but you usually still make it appear as if there was a search.
WDDIM?

farmhawg

Quote from: OtterHog™ on November 17, 2017, 11:42:30 am
The biggest cause of Bo's extremely sandy nether regions as of late, is the fact that his inside track has just narrowed greatly.

I would take what he says with a grain of salt. He's still busy crying over his framed Jeff Long picture.
So is the op.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Donny2665

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on November 17, 2017, 11:38:42 am
Bo Mattingly tweet:

"I'm told the U of A plan is to put together a search committee to hire a new A.D. and it will be a nationwide search. One source believes they can get get a new A.D. in place by Jan 1st."

But mods on here are saying done deal, and announcement coming possibly as soon as Monday. So...which is it?

https://twitter.com/SportsTalkwBo/status/931576539380178944

P.S. Not a big fan of Bo and I know he likes to stir the pot/act important. But what's the deal?

Bo has sources? That's funny!
This life's hard, but it's harder if you're stupid.~George V.Higgins

Ignorance is a voluntary misfortune!~Nicolas Ling

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.~Mark Twain

Boardon Hamsay

The GOBN could never have a plan backfire....
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

OneLardAlmighty

Bo Mattingly tweet:

"I'm told the U of A plan is to put together a search committee to hire a new A.D. and it will be a nationwide search. One source believes they can get get a new A.D. in place by Jan 1st."

But mods on here are saying done deal, and announcement coming possibly as soon as Monday. So...which is it?

P.S. Not a big fan of Bo and I know he likes to stir the pot/act important. But what's the deal?

I have no idea what is actually going on behind the scenes or how the AD hiring process works.  But if AD is like a lot of other university positions, then the job will have to be posted and open for a certain amount of time before a hire can officially be made, even if there is already an inside candidate who effectively has the job.  It's kind of a pro forma exercise and university departments go through it all the time, oftentimes even interviewing people they have no intention of hiring.  Again, I don't know if that's what's going on here, or if last night's gossip was much ado about nothing.  But it's possible that both are true.

RME

Quote from: farmhawg on November 17, 2017, 01:07:01 pm
So is the op.

The University of Arkansas still exists, doesn't it?

If so, I'm perfectly fine. I thought Long was a fine AD. Doesn't mean my happiness is tied to him, but lob stupid and incorrect shots as much as you'd like.

Jim Harris

Quote from: HF#1 on November 17, 2017, 12:38:06 pm
I have no doubt about that. What I don't buy is that we are conducting some sort of national search. If that is the case, this wasn't planned or well thought out.

I do know now based on learning that someone was asked about interest in the AD job on Wednesday that they did not fire Long with the the new AD already hired. Maybe they know that a certain person will take the job if offered, but the PTB asked someone else who has no interest in it. That person is out of state, did not attend Arkansas but definitely has some Razorback and state connections and makes way way way more money and lives in a lot more luxury than available through having a UA job, even AD.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

PorkRinds

Quote from: Donny2665 on November 17, 2017, 01:08:40 pm
Bo has sources? That's funny!

Bo likely has more sources than anyone on here.

OneLardAlmighty

Quote from: Jim Harris on November 17, 2017, 01:14:22 pm
I do know now based on learning that someone was asked about interest in the AD job on Wednesday that they did not fire Long with the the new AD already hired. Maybe they know that a certain person will take the job if offered, but the PTB asked someone else who has no interest in it. That person is out of state, did not attend Arkansas but definitely has some Razorback and state connections and makes way way way more money and lives in a lot more luxury than available through having a UA job, even AD.

Bill Clinton?

hogginbama

Aww the worry is starting to show on Hogville. They got rid of the "carpet bagger" JL and "fat-boy" BB is next on the block, just what everyone wanted. Now the worry is that the BOT, who everyone begged to do some firing to show Arkansas is serious about football, may not have thought it all through and have set the program up to look bad by being hasty. Damn you guys have some serious ADHD/Anxiety issues.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

HF#1

Quote from: Jim Harris on November 17, 2017, 01:14:22 pm

That does not give me warm feelings that we aren't botching this entire process.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

hawgball40

Quote from: hogginbama on November 17, 2017, 01:17:52 pm
Aww the worry is starting to show on Hogville. They got rid of the "carpet bagger" JL and "fat-boy" BB is next on the block, just what everyone wanted. Now the worry is that the BOT, who everyone begged to do some firing to show Arkansas is serious about football, may not have thought it all through and have set the program up to look bad by being hasty. Damn you guys have some serious ADHD/Anxiety issues.
u dont know diddly

jkstock04

Bo Mattingly tweet:

Bo is a blowhard but this makes common sense to me. I know the mod claimed its 100% a done deal...but to me if that's so why didn't he tell us who it's going to be? Or more common sense if it's done why didn't the university announce it instead of a interim?

I would guess they have someone or 2/3 guys in mind and are targeting but if it was a done deal there would've already been an announcement.

Keep in mind this is the same guy who started this thread: 

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=641945.0

He obviously doesn't know 100%, he's just giving an opinion.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

ShadowHawg

Quote from: OtterHog™ on November 17, 2017, 11:42:30 am
The biggest cause of Bo's extremely sandy nether regions as of late, is the fact that his inside track has just narrowed greatly.

I would take what he says with a grain of salt. He's still busy crying over his framed Jeff Long picture.

The inside track is now wider than it's been in over a decade.

Ironhawg

Grant Hall just read a text on the air from Dudley Dawson correcting what Dudley had said earlier about Scanlon's health.  The text said that the rumor of Kevin Scanlon having health problems is false.

Jim Harris

Quote from: HF#1 on November 17, 2017, 01:19:12 pm
That does not give me warm feelings that we aren't botching this entire process.

Based on who the one booster-BOT was that was most adamantly wanting to get rid of Long, I know they could be shooting for and thinking they'll hire the "Billy Gillispie circa 2007" of ADs and head football coaches and end up with the John Pelphrey of ADs and head football coaches before it's over.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

razorbackfaninar

There was no plan in place before they fired Long.  it was an emotional decision based on a bad football season and now we are looking for an AD and I assume shortly a coach. The season ends in a little more than a week early signing period is in December and we have to find an AD and a coach, again presumably at the same time.  The timing of this couldn't be worse if they had been trying to screw it up.       

Jim Harris

Quote from: Ironhawg on November 17, 2017, 01:24:02 pm
Grant Hall just read a text on the air from Dudley Dawson correcting what Dudley had said earlier about Scanlon's health.  The text said that the rumor of Kevin Scanlon having health problems is false.

Scanlon has had his knees replaced. That's it. I don't think he'd mind me revealing that. He's fine.

HF#1

Quote from: Jim Harris on November 17, 2017, 01:25:31 pm
Scanlon has had his knees replaced. That's it. I don't think he'd mind me revealing that. He's fine.

Dudley just tweeted that the heart condition stuff was false.

wildturkey8

PorkSoda

Quote from: Jim Harris on November 17, 2017, 01:25:31 pm
so does that mean he is still a candidate? or has he already said no?

assuming the search committee is a real thing, I'm guessing he said no.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

HogCard

Quote from: longtimeHogfan on November 17, 2017, 12:21:02 pm
I never say never but.....most coaches would want to know who their boss is going to be before taking the job. 

What if the new coach in waiting already knows who his new boss is going to be and is cool with it.  Or the new coach in waiting has been promised he will have a say in who the new AD is.

(notOM)Rebel123

"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

RazorbacksFTW

Not liking this news.
I feel like we will all be looking around next football season and CBB will still be here.
we're all gonna be like

jgphillips3

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on November 17, 2017, 01:25:14 pm
There was no plan in place before they fired Long.  it was an emotional decision based on a bad football season and now we are looking for an AD and I assume shortly a coach. The season ends in a little more than a week early signing period is in December and we have to find an AD and a coach, again presumably at the same time.  The timing of this couldn't be worse if they had been trying to screw it up.       

Do you really believe that or are you just trolling?  Firing Bielema might would have been an emotional decision.  Firing Long is a business decision that has been coming for months...maybe longer.  The guys who make these decisions don't just roll out of bed and say let's tell the Chancellor to fire the AD today.  This has been thought out and we are seeing the execution of a plan that has been made.  Now, will the final results work out?  Who knows.  But there is zero chance this was an "emotional" decision or not thought out.

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: HogCard on November 17, 2017, 01:33:42 pm
What if the new coach in waiting already knows who his new boss is going to be and is cool with it.  Or the new coach in waiting has been promised he will have a say in who the new AD is.

The "new coach in waiting" doesn't know who it is because the board doesn't know who it is. What has happened is they fired the AD on a knee-jerk reaction.  They have no plan for a new AD and now we are going to have to either find a coach who has so little bargaining power that he would be willing to take the job without knowing who the AD is, is dumb/desperate enough to take the job without knowing who the new AD is, or we are keeping Bielema for another season, or worse they are going to fire him and put an interim in place for one year.  Either way we aren't going to get a quality, in-demand coach without having an AD in place which we don't have.  There isn't some secret AD hire that they are waiting to announce. Razorback fans have been well and truly screwed by the timing of this mess. This is why we can't have nice things at Arkansas.

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: jgphillips3 on November 17, 2017, 01:50:40 pm
Do you really believe that or are you just trolling?  Firing Bielema might would have been an emotional decision.  Firing Long is a business decision that has been coming for months...maybe longer.  The guys who make these decisions don't just roll out of bed and say let's tell the Chancellor to fire the AD today.  This has been thought out and we are seeing the execution of a plan that has been made.  Now, will the final results work out?  Who knows.  But there is zero chance this was an "emotional" decision or not thought out.

Does that really make sense to you?  A business decision that has been coming for months? If it's been coming form months then why pull the trigger at the worst possible time. I don't think there was a "plan" to fire long prior to the BOT meeting two weeks ago.  This is typical of the types of things that happen at Arkansas.  The money was pissed at Long they leaned on the right people and they fired him.  I don't know which suggestion makes the PTB look dumber, saying that this cluster is the result of a "plan" , or saying they fired Long as a knee-jerk reaction.  This is not what a plan looks like.  This looks like the wheels are falling off.   

PorkSoda

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on November 17, 2017, 02:04:01 pm
Does that really make sense to you?  A business decision that has been coming for months? If it's been coming form months then why pull the trigger at the worst possible time. I don't think there was a "plan" to fire long prior to the BOT meeting two weeks ago.  This is typical of the types of things that happen at Arkansas.  The money was pissed at Long they leaned on the right people and they fired him.  I don't know which suggestion makes the PTB look dumber, saying that this cluster is the result of a "plan" , or saying they fired Long as a knee-jerk reaction.  This is not what a plan looks like.  This looks like the wheels are falling off.   
its a tad early to say the wheels are falling off, but I think you are both right to an extent.  I have no doubt that some powers have been pushing for long to be fired for a long time.  when this season tanked, they got the necessary support to make it happen.  now that it has happened, do we get our guy? or do we get snubbed and have to play the field?  its too early to tell on that.
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Porked Tongue

Keep in mind this is the same guy who started this thread: 

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=641945.0

He obviously doesn't know 100%, he's just giving an opinion.
I did in fact start that thread. I will stand by that at the time I wrote it.  There was some late developments that certainly led to that statement being incorrect now.

Jim Harris

Quote from: HogCard on November 17, 2017, 01:33:42 pm

There is no new coach in waiting.
Quote from: PorkSoda on November 17, 2017, 01:29:53 pm
so does that mean he is still a candidate? or has he already said no?

assuming the search committee is a real thing, I'm guessing he said no.

He hasn't been asked.

Tusks

This Dudley/Scanlon thing is weird.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Jim Harris

Quote from: jgphillips3 on November 17, 2017, 01:50:40 pm

The poster is correct. There was no AD in hand when they fired Jeff Long. There may have been people they feel they can hire, but it isn't done and there won't be some Monday press conference announcing a hire unless some really key people in the UA decision-making are being left out of the loop.

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: PorkSoda on November 17, 2017, 02:09:25 pm
its a tad early to say the wheels are falling off, but I think you are both right to an extent.  I have no doubt that some powers have been pushing for long to be fired for a long time.  when this season tanked, they got the necessary support to make it happen.  now that it has happened, do we get our guy? or do we get snubbed and have to play the field?  its too early to tell on that.

You have to ask yourself? Why was Long fired? Now surely no one thinks he would have gotten fired if we had won say 7 or 8  games this season so far.  What would be the reason given?  No one was talking about firing Long until the season started to go south. Then everyone wanted to fire him because of the enormous buyout that he had given Bielema, that was when you started to hear people crow about firing Long. That was just after the TCU game and got louder after ATM and really got hot after the SCar loss.  There wasn't a plan to fire Long.  It was a reaction to this season.  It was not well thought out and now we are in a bad position.  Don't buy into the whole secret AD hire that we are just waiting to announce, or that the secret head coach hire we have already hired knows who the new AD will be. This is a mess and going to get messier. My only hope is that the folks making the decisions get lucky and fall bass ackwards into a great AD and Head coaching hire.     

ricepig

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on November 17, 2017, 02:31:27 pm
You have to ask yourself? Why was Long fired? Now surely no one thinks he would have gotten fired if we had won say 7 or 8  games this season so far.  What would be the reason given?  No one was talking about firing Long until the season started to go south. Then everyone wanted to fire him because of the enormous buyout that he had given Bielema, that was when you started to hear people crow about firing Long. That was just after the TCU game and got louder after ATM and really got hot after the SCar loss.  There wasn't a plan to fire Long.  It was a reaction to this season.  It was not well thought out and now we are in a bad position.  Don't buy into the whole secret AD hire that we are just waiting to announce, or that the secret head coach hire we have already hired knows who the new AD will be. This is a mess and going to get messier. My only hope is that the folks making the decisions get lucky and fall bass ackwards into a great AD and Head coaching hire.     

Well, as it turns out, I don't think we could do much worse than what we had, and I thought both were ok until the wheels came off this season.

PorkSoda

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on November 17, 2017, 02:31:27 pm
I'm not buying in to illuminati schemes or the sky is falling.   its too early to tell how this is going to play out.  I just think its obvious JL had made some enemies and due to the bad season, those enemies got enough support to pull off a coup.  I'm sure they had someone in mind that they thought would further their interests. whether that person accepts the job, or we are left doing a hiring search remains to be seen.  if someone with arkansas connections is hired in the next week, it will prove that theory.  if we go with a national search, then that means they struck out on thier top choice and are now forced to do a real search.

again, the only thing we can do is wait to see how it plays out, and make judgements from there.

lilRockNDubb

Quote from: HF#1 on November 17, 2017, 12:16:07 pm
If we fired Long two weeks before the end of the season, knowing Bielema is gone to, and we didn't have an AD already lined up then the Chancellor and BOT need to pack their crap as well.

I fully expect the AD to be named/announced early next week. I also think Bielema will coach his last game Saturday.

What was the point for hiring an interim AD if it's just for 5 days...