Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bonfield ?

Started by ricepig, March 02, 2015, 07:53:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

Ok, this isn't player bashing, but he doesn't seem comfortable, or picking the ball up well. He looks the part, big athletic kid, but I can't remember too many quality cuts by him. I hope he finds his stroke soon.

TikiHog

Ive been to all 8 games so far and I think his swing is way to big

flippinhogmana

Quote from: TikiHog on March 02, 2015, 09:24:56 pm
Ive been to all 8 games so far and I think his swing is way to big

I have been around baseball for awhile, perhaps not as much or as high a level as some of you.  I have never been paid for playing (coaching is a different story but not high level there either).  One of the posters suggested once before the season started that Bonfield might have a whole lot more problem in higher level college ball and the higher he went in the professional arena because he lifts his front leg and strides into the ball besides a big swing.  The poster was, as I recall, more derided that supported by other posters.  It has been my experience that he was right but I kept my powder dry at the time.

For whatever reason so far he has been proven right.  The only thing I said at the time was that Bonfield was unproven at this level.  Now, first it is a very young season, and its still cold out.  Some people dont get loosened up until later.  So, I am not going to form any conclusions until I see him into May or so. 

But that being said, I will simply say this: for me as a hitter (and we are not all alike) if I wanted to hit it out, I could still get a pretty good swing with a short stride, and no leg kick.  I tried that leg kick some and gave it up fairly quickly very early in my playing days.  I found for me I could have a lot better control with my hands and more flexibility with the bat head on hitting especially breaking pitches.  I could go with the pitch and follow the speed of it better if I started my swing as late as possible.  Its hard to stop a train.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

onebadrubi

Sounds to me like that ball was coming in a lot slower and looked like a softball to him just a couple months back.  It will just take some at bats to get that back.  He's not competing with equivalent talent and he will step his game up.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: mrp on March 02, 2015, 10:56:20 pm
I'm not a big leg kick fan but I don't think the problem is his leg kick.

I got to watch him for the first time today and I think he's doing too much with his hands in an effort to do too much.

If he can he just needs to relax and play. The problem is the more things go wrong the more you press.
Quote from: onebadrubi on March 02, 2015, 11:16:34 pm
Sounds to me like that ball was coming in a lot slower and looked like a softball to him just a couple months back.  It will just take some at bats to get that back.  He's not competing with equivalent talent and he will step his game up.

Well brothers, hitting is about the least complicated (providing you don't have to get signs to allow you to) part of the sport.  You just see it and hit it.  Kinda like an alum of ours said once 'grip it and rip it'.  You think to much it has a tendency to tie you up. 

Like I said, and like one of you said, I am not a big fan of a leg kick but some people make it work.  He is a nice looking athlete.  I would (and so would DVH) hate to see him lose his spot in the lineup for any length of time, but he has to hit.  At least he worked a walk today.  That counts some. 

I have no doubt his swing generates a lot of power, but he has to hit for average and cover the field too to have as much success as we and he needs.  His swing is more complicated the way he does it, so it probably is easier to get out of kelter and harder to get back, but, I wish him well.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

Sueie

This is why we should not declare recruits to be the next Mickey Mantle UNTIL they do something at the college level.

TNhawgfan

I've coached high school baseball for years, I know different animal than college, and don't care about leg kicks. It's all in the wrists, hands, and hips and how much speed you generate. I've seen guys with no stride kill it and guys with leg kicks kill it alike
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

Baseball Hog

His timing is off.  He'll be fine.  Don't mind the leg kick, he's just got to get his foot down.

PorkRyan

The kid has 16 ABs on the season, give him some time.  Benintendi is struggling just as much right now. 

hogman64

Quote from: flippinhogmana on March 02, 2015, 10:39:50 pm
I have been around baseball for awhile, perhaps not as much or as high a level as some of you.  I have never been paid for playing (coaching is a different story but not high level there either).  One of the posters suggested once before the season started that Bonfield might have a whole lot more problem in higher level college ball and the higher he went in the professional arena because he lifts his front leg and strides into the ball besides a big swing.  The poster was, as I recall, more derided that supported by other posters.  It has been my experience that he was right but I kept my powder dry at the time.

For whatever reason so far he has been proven right.  The only thing I said at the time was that Bonfield was unproven at this level.  Now, first it is a very young season, and its still cold out.  Some people dont get loosened up until later.  So, I am not going to form any conclusions until I see him into May or so. 

But that being said, I will simply say this: for me as a hitter (and we are not all alike) if I wanted to hit it out, I could still get a pretty good swing with a short stride, and no leg kick.  I tried that leg kick some and gave it up fairly quickly very early in my playing days.  I found for me I could have a lot better control with my hands and more flexibility with the bat head on hitting especially breaking pitches.  I could go with the pitch and follow the speed of it better if I started my swing as late as possible.  Its hard to stop a train.

no offense but what you could do with a leg kick and what Bonfield can do is Mars and Earth.  He knows how to hit , he is in a slump and it is happening at the same time when his confidence level is naturally not as high as it was in high school, so it is a little harder to work thru it..... there is nothing wrong with his swing that he wouldn't be killing the pitchers  we have faced so far  if he was on his game.  Even if he does have some  flaws in his approach at the plate you think a hitter  with his talent  wouldn't be killing NDS and EI pitchers, if he was at his normal level ?  I can promise you if he does have problems they are not going to surface against the level of our competition so far.
All this analysis of his leg kick based on his performance so far  is ridiculous....

flippinhogmana

Quote from: hogman64 on March 03, 2015, 09:15:11 am
no offense but what you could do with a leg kick and what Bonfield can do is Mars and Earth.  He knows how to hit , he is in a slump and it is happening at the same time when his confidence level is naturally not as high as it was in high school, so it is a little harder to work thru it..... there is nothing wrong with his swing that he wouldn't be killing the pitchers  we have faced so far  if he was on his game.  Even if he does have some  flaws in his approach at the plate you think a hitter  with his talent  wouldn't be killing NDS and EI pitchers, if he was at his normal level ?  I can promise you if he does have problems they are not going to surface against the level of our competition so far.
All this analysis of his leg kick based on his performance so far  is ridiculous....

No offense?  How is it when someone starts a sentence like that they mean to do nothing but condemn, spew contempt for anything but their opinion and to deride anyone of a different experience and opinion.  I believe I said, different hitters (like different free throws shooters, etc.) have different mechanics that some of them make work.  You looking for someone to criticize this morning?

Let this get between your ears and behind your eyes if at all possible what I have already said, "He is a good looking kid.  He develops a lot of power with his swing.  I will wait to mid-May or so to make a judgment about him.  I wish him well".  Do those statements sound like I am over critical of him or are roundly dismissing his choice of mechanics?  I believe I clearly stated for me it wasn't the best approach, I chose a different apple to his orange Or as you put a different planet to his, is there something wrong with that?  I don't mean to offend.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: PorkRyan on March 03, 2015, 08:57:36 am
The kid has 16 ABs on the season, give him some time.  Benintendi is struggling just as much right now.

It is true with Benintendi but I am not sure how positive an example that is-he only hit .276 last year.  Fairly solid but not exactly setting the world on fire in college ball himself.  But Benintendi is displaying more power this year.  Like you said about Bonfield and his 16 abs-Benintendi doesnt have much more and its a very young season, and it cold outside.  I am not sure how well Pete Rose or Tony Gwinn would be swing this early and with it this cold.

hillbilly

Bonfield is going to be a stud, he just isn't quite ready yet. That's why I thought it was hilarious when we had certain posters on here (I won't name any names, but you know who you are) crowning everyone in this freshmen class as kids who were going to come in and make huge impacts right away.

We have 4 outfielders right now (Spoon, Serrano, Benintendi, Eagan) who are all experienced and playing well. Those same posters who were counting so much on these freshmen (mainly Bonfield) to come in and take some of these guys spots were unrealistic.

hogman64

Quote from: flippinhogmana on March 03, 2015, 09:49:09 am
No offense?  How is it when someone starts a sentence like that they mean to do nothing but condemn, spew contempt for anything but their opinion and to deride anyone of a different experience and opinion.  I believe I said, different hitters (like different free throws shooters, etc.) have different mechanics that some of them make work.  You looking for someone to criticize this morning?

Let this get between your ears and behind your eyes if at all possible what I have already said, "He is a good looking kid.  He develops a lot of power with his swing.  I will wait to mid-May or so to make a judgment about him.  I wish him well".  Do those statements sound like I am over critical of him or are roundly dismissing his choice of mechanics?  I believe I clearly stated for me it wasn't the best approach, I chose a different apple to his orange Or as you put a different planet to his, is there something wrong with that?  I don't mean to offend.

That was funny.

flippinhogmana

If not enlighten, or share, I do seek to amuse!

SPAL

Until he learns to hit a breaking ball, he will continue to struggle. It is more timing than mechanics.

billmontgomery10

Bonfield went 0-3 for the day, hitting in to a double play. I'm afraid he losing his DH role to Shaddy.

TikiHog

I agree with Sueie and billmontgomery10.....still say his swing is to big

kennymayne

Gotta remember that he also didn't get to play in the fall. I  think he'll be fine. Just gotta get his timing back. He didn't forget how to hit.

Sueie

Quote from: TikiHog on March 03, 2015, 04:02:46 pm
I agree with Sueie and billmontgomery10.....still say his swing is to big

Well that was probably your biggest mistake. LOL!!

Knot2brite

He has a lot of physical attributes but he has to start producing. There are enough folks on the bench that are hitting when they have gotten the opportunity. Mcafee had better be watching over his back for Bernal. There are a list of guys that are not safe. This is a great problem to have.
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

TikiHog

ricepig

Quote from: Sueie on March 03, 2015, 04:13:00 pm
Well that was probably your biggest mistake. LOL!!

I was thinking we might need to sticky this, someone agreeing with you!

TikiHog

you know Sueie if people met us in person at the games our applauds would go through the roof

ricepig

Quote from: TikiHog on March 03, 2015, 04:31:53 pm
you know Sueie if people met us in person at the games our applauds would go through the roof

Whoa, don't get carried away......

Baseball Hog

Making any assumptions after seeing 19 ABs  of any player is inherently ignorant.  If anything could be made by such little observation there would be no need for a scouting department.

TikiHog

well like DVH said at the Swatters Club....he doesn't really know what a gloves used for now....so if he doesn't start hitting after this weekend he'll be a midweek player

Sssss!

This was indeed discussed earlier.  At every level he goes up he will struggle with a high leg kick.  It's hard to hit a breaking ball when your head moves that much. Wish him well.

ucahogfan

When was the last time a true freshman dominated right out of the gate?

It took Ficociello a couple of weekends to get going and then he had one of the better freshman seasons in program history.  Bonfield has a lot of talent at the plate and looks to be getting some good swings, but just missing it.  It will all click for him at some point and then he will go on a tear like we have seen in the past.  Just have to keep getting him ABs, but this lineup is much deeper than we have had in a long time under DVH so we don't have to let someone work through a slump which is a double edged sword IMO.

As for the high leg kick, it is just a timing mechanism.  I don't see it as an issue.  While most hitters don't have the huge leg kick, every hitter has their own comfort zone.

Big Nasty 34

My thoughts from watching high school highlights had a couple red flags as well. Besides the high keg kick, he often arm bars which can make him a dead pull hitter and his load would often go beyond his back knee. Those were a few things that made me predict he would make it to campus and need an adjustment period. I think his swing will be a bit different in 3 years.

azhog10

Quote from: Baseball Hog on March 03, 2015, 04:44:34 pm
no need for a scouting department.
Now this seems to make a lot of sense as of late.