Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who would you like to see get the starts this weekend?

Started by JonClaudeVanHam, February 23, 2015, 01:36:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JonClaudeVanHam

Assuming Killian is not returning this week.

My vote is this:

Thursday: Taco
Friday: McKinney
Saturday: Sanburn
Sunday: Pate or Jackson

Would like to see Jackson relegated to long relief since he did such an outstanding job at it last year. Let's not forget that some great pitchers (such as Brandon Moore, Barrett Astin, and TJ Forrest) were always much better in relief than as a starter.

So far the freshmen have been much more consistent strike throwers than the upperclassmen. Not to mention the fact that if we get into a jam it is far more comfortable to bring in an upperclassman than a freshman out of the bullpen. I also don't think we can rule out the possibility of Stone becoming a starter if we can't get this sorted out. A stud closer is a luxury in college baseball, and though I assume some may have soured on Patten after his appearance yesterday, I think he has the stuff to do it. And there's no doubt after what happened that he will have a chip on his shoulder to prove that he is mentally tough and that what we saw was an anomaly. There's also Lance Phillips. Who, with the arm slot, has proven effective so far in short stints.

We have lots of guys with good stuff, it's now just about finding them their roles. Hopefully we can get these games in this week. It will be worse than going 1-3 in them if we can't get them played. But that's just my opinion. A young team needs experience. The less we play the further behind we'll be.
Quote from: rhames on March 28, 2024, 10:56:37 amMusselman wants the UofA Transit Director Job.

flippinhogmana

Sounds about right to me.  However, I would just like to see Fant pitch.  Starter, reliever, in the field even, what has happened to him?  Hopefully just waiting to give him a shot?  btw, its going to be brrrrrrrr! this weekend.  Any chance any or all the games get cancelled?  The Cali team will freeze!
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

SPAL

Tacco
Jackson
Sanburn
Mckinney

Leave McKinney in the Sunday slot.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Mr.Swine89

Taco
Alberius
Sanburn
McKinney

Save Pate for lefties and Stone for jams. Don't lose faith in Stone and Teague. They'll get it figured out. Teague needs to develop another pitch or learn to throw that curve for a strike. His slider is a wipe-out, but you gotta throw strikes in order to set it up.

We will come to rely heavy on Phillips this year I think. He will be tough once through the line up due to his arm angle and heavy ball. If the guy had a change-up that he could break away from lefties, then he would be starting. If Chadwick can keep the ball down, then he will be effective also. He has a really good breaking ball that he keeps hidden well (just watch video on him against right handed batters), but when he has two strikes on a batter, he leaves the pitch up and it gets rocked. 

JonClaudeVanHam

Quote from: Mr.Swine89 on February 23, 2015, 05:30:13 pm
Taco
Alberius
Sanburn
McKinney

Save Pate for lefties and Stone for jams. Don't lose faith in Stone and Teague. They'll get it figured out. Teague needs to develop another pitch or learn to throw that curve for a strike. His slider is a wipe-out, but you gotta throw strikes in order to set it up.

We will come to rely heavy on Phillips this year I think. He will be tough once through the line up due to his arm angle and heavy ball. If the guy had a change-up that he could break away from lefties, then he would be starting. If Chadwick can keep the ball down, then he will be effective also. He has a really good breaking ball that he keeps hidden well (just watch video on him against right handed batters), but when he has two strikes on a batter, he leaves the pitch up and it gets rocked.

I haven't soured or lost confidence in Stone. We just need someone who's effective to start.
Quote from: rhames on March 28, 2024, 10:56:37 amMusselman wants the UofA Transit Director Job.

Sueie

Quote from: flippinhogmana on February 23, 2015, 02:14:06 pm
Sounds about right to me.  However, I would just like to see Fant pitch.  Starter, reliever, in the field even, what has happened to him?  Hopefully just waiting to give him a shot?  btw, its going to be brrrrrrrr! this weekend.  Any chance any or all the games get cancelled?  The Cali team will freeze!

I think Fant might be redshirting this year. 

flippinhogmana

Quote from: Sueie on February 23, 2015, 08:34:35 pm

Thats the first I have heard Fant's name in that conversation.  I had heard a couple others ones mentioned (people saying they thought they would redshirt).  One of them has played so far, so at least one of the three isnt.  You may be right, but I dont see why exactly.  He is one of only two lhp's.  Some years we have had six or seven of them.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

ricepig

Quote from: Sueie on February 23, 2015, 08:34:35 pm

I'd say that's pretty obvious at this point, we saw everyone but the bullpen catcher pitching.

azhog10

Many thought we were gonna struggle. Some said we would be solid. Clearly our pitching is not where it has been. It's definitely something to worry about.

Sueie

Quote from: flippinhogmana on February 23, 2015, 08:52:59 pm
Thats the first I have heard Fant's name in that conversation.  I had heard a couple others ones mentioned (people saying they thought they would redshirt).  One of them has played so far, so at least one of the three isnt.  You may be right, but I dont see why exactly.  He is one of only two lhp's.  Some years we have had six or seven of them.

He struggled with finding the strike zone.  It is going to be hard with ONE left handed pitcher though.

ricepig

Quote from: Sueie on February 23, 2015, 09:27:58 pm
He struggled with finding the strike zone.  It is going to be hard with ONE left handed pitcher though.

Yep, it does seem odd that we only have two, and it appears only for all practical purposes.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: Sueie on February 23, 2015, 09:27:58 pm

Do you mean in fall ball, practice or where exactly since I dont know of him pitching otherwise?  Struggled to find the strikezone?  Thats hardly a rarity on this staff.  I have been optimistic from the start, but I keep getting bad feelings about Killian, Jackson, and now Fant, as well as the pitching staff in general.  Still optimistic, but queasy I guess you could say.  I have always maintained that our pitching was far from a lock.  Too much unproven...hurry back Killian.

SPAL

I'm not worried at all. If we are still struggling to find quality arms a month from now, it will be something to worry about. These things are things that will come around. Most of these guys are young. We've been spoiled over the last, what, 5 or 6 years? As long as out coaches are still coaching, pitching won't be a worry. At least not this early. They will get the control issues under control. I mean, they know as well as anybody they can't issue walks and hit batters and throw wild pitches and expect to have success.

Kevin

I just want the weather to cooperate so we can see anyone pitch
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on February 23, 2015, 02:25:21 pm
Tacco
Jackson
Sanburn
Mckinney

Leave McKinney in the Sunday slot.
I agree with McKinney on Sundays, but he may not pitch if we hold him until the last game....because of the weather.

Hogington

Fant has struggled with throwing strikes.  Didn't travel with team to Mobile, AL.  Threw the ball all over the place in the Fall.  Jorn totally changed his mechanics.  He is now trying to locate his pitches.  Hope Van Horn regains his confidence in him soon.  We need him quickly.

dbhog

Quote from: Kevin on February 24, 2015, 06:35:30 am
I just want the weather to cooperate so we can see anyone pitch

I would say there is about a 50% chance that 4 games will not be played.  Cannot see them playing at all on Thursday with the high forecast for 30 degrees.  Not much better on Friday in the mid-30's.  Just not baseball weather.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: Hogington on February 24, 2015, 09:32:37 am
Fant has struggled with throwing strikes.  Didn't travel with team to Mobile, AL.  Threw the ball all over the place in the Fall.  Jorn totally changed his mechanics.  He is now trying to locate his pitches.  Hope Van Horn regains his confidence in him soon.  We need him quickly.

Thanks for the info.  1+