Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

my opinion on Jackson

Started by TuckFexas, February 21, 2015, 08:07:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TuckFexas

It's still very early and things can change. However,  I think DVH is wasting Jackson by starting him. He is extremely effective as a long relief guy. Perfect bridge to Stone. He has outstanding stuff, but is only effective one time thru the lineup. I know we're waiting on Killian to return, but starting Jackson is ineffective and under utilizing his strength and value to this team.
Famous quote.
Follow me on Twitter: www.twitter.com
Become my friend on Facebook: www.facebook.com
The post above may or may not accurately reflect the views of TuckFexas.
Yes, they let me out of the Tavern on a day pass.

Sueie

Ok. Who do you replace him with?

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: TuckFexas on February 21, 2015, 08:07:59 pm
It's still very early and things can change. However,  I think DVH is wasting Jackson by starting him. He is extremely effective as a long relief guy. Perfect bridge to Stone. He has outstanding stuff, but is only effective one time thru the lineup. I know we're waiting on Killian to return, but starting Jackson is ineffective and under utilizing his strength and value to this team.
Jackson wasn't himself tonight, but I agree that he is best used as a middle/set-up reliever. DVH has mentioned him and Taccolini as guys that have rubber arms and may be the best on the team as far as coming back on a day or 2 of rest. Plus Jackson is a real competitor, he needs to be in more games.

TuckFexas

Quote from: Sueie on February 21, 2015, 08:19:00 pm
Ok. Who do you replace him with?

Right now, take your pick of Teague, Mckinney, or another newcomer. We need our starters to keep us in the ballgame for 5-6 innings instead of 3.
Famous quote.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

February 21, 2015, 08:30:48 pm #4 Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 08:32:05 am by A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S
Quote from: TuckFexas on February 21, 2015, 08:23:29 pm
Right now, take your pick of Teague, Mckinney, or another newcomer. We need our starters to keep us in the ballgame for 5-6 innings instead of 3.
McKinney should end up a good one. Teague will get better and Jackson will have better days.

JonClaudeVanHam

Quote from: rhames on March 28, 2024, 10:56:37 amMusselman wants the UofA Transit Director Job.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Kevin

without killean, i think they need the 3 best pitchers to start.

whatever the reason, jackson & teague are having a hard time throwing strikes. that needs to change, no matter where they are pitching.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

JonClaudeVanHam

We're running into the age old problem of the guys with the best stuff having the worst ability to locate it. I'm very worried about Teague, less worried about Jackson, who I feel needs to get readjusted to the game. He very well might have expected to be absolutely dominant just by taking the mound. If we know his stuff is electric, then I guarantee you that he knows it as well.
Quote from: rhames on March 28, 2024, 10:56:37 amMusselman wants the UofA Transit Director Job.

Knot2brite

As we discussed on the game thread, there are a lot of legit excuses that can be attributed to our early walk problems. The seams are different, throwing against live batters other than your own people, the weather and the fact that it is early and all of these factors are jammed together. Hopefully we will get the jitters and the gremlins worked out. Experience is a major issue at this point. We will need to find some guys early that we can go to and it may cost a few games early
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

SPAL

McKinney should cement his place as the Sunday starter. I don't know the answer to the rotation yet. Nobody is separating themselves.

flippinhogmana

You all have good points, and valid concerns, and I would say have expressed them well.  But I would simply reiterate one question posed to the valid point of both Teague and Jackson, replace them with whom?  I agree and have already stated that imho Teague has played his way to middle reliever if not mid week, middle reliever.  Jackson deserves another shot at starter.  He still has under a 2.00 era despite the walks today (with great defense) he didnt give up a run.

I frankly havent been bowled over by anyone who has started a game for us yet.  Sanburn has been good, but it was a very short snapshot to judge from too.  We had some others who had zero era's that got blowed up yesterday (chadwick, and whoever the first reliever was).

Its early, some of us said before the season the team had some holes to fill.  Some derided us who said such.  Its early, we have a young staff, we have some senior citizens, thank God for them.  I am glad Spoon came back, McAfee, and now especially Wernes (as well as other position players that helped in the five dp's today).  There are a lot of bright spots, we are 4-1, maybe 5-1 after this weekend.  There will be some pain and anxiety along the way.  But noboby panic, nobody panic, it was foreseeable.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

dotnet

The only question about Jackson is his control. Apart from that he could start, close, any thing you want.

If he can't control anything than he won't be good in long relief either. He'll be in and out of trouble regardless.

So why not take a chance he'll be his most effective self? This isn't a few years ago where sunburn could have some of the best stuff on the team and just barely pitch bc he wasn't polished. Dvh needs Jackson to pitch well and improve his command and control.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: dotnet on February 22, 2015, 06:23:53 am
The only question about Jackson is his control. Apart from that he could start, close, any thing you want.

If he can't control anything than he won't be good in long relief either. He'll be in and out of trouble regardless.

So why not take a chance he'll be his most effective self? This isn't a few years ago where Sanburn could have some of the best stuff on the team and just barely pitch bc he wasn't polished. Dvh needs Jackson to pitch well and improve his command and control.
This is a good point.

Kevin

Really, hope mckinney has a great day today. more questions, than answers, right now.

not using stone last night, makes me think we could see him today, to get out of a jam, at any time during the game.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

Big Nasty 34

I say we see mckinney through 3 innings, would love to see more if he's on, patten for 2-3, and stone to close it out. I really want mckinney to do well, I think he will be a stud.

ucahogfan

Quote from: Kevin on February 22, 2015, 08:22:26 am
Really, hope mckinney has a great day today. more questions, than answers, right now.

not using stone last night, makes me think we could see him today, to get out of a jam, at any time during the game.
I think we see Stone today for at least one inning.  DVH isn't going to go a weekend without using him especially this early when he needs to log game action.

ucahogfan

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on February 22, 2015, 08:38:50 am
I say we see mckinney through 3 innings, would love to see more if he's on, patten for 2-3, and stone to close it out. I really want mckinney to do well, I think he will be a stud.
Ideally, it would be McKinney for 5, Patten for 2-3, and then Stone 1-2.  It is scary to think just how many pitchers we have used this weekend and the amount of talent still waiting for their turn.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: ucahogfan on February 22, 2015, 08:49:02 am
Ideally, it would be McKinney for 5, Patten for 2-3, and then Stone 1-2.  It is scary to think just how many pitchers we have used this weekend and the amount of talent still waiting for their turn.

Agreed on all points.  Cant wait for a couple of mid-weeks games to start, then we will get a look at some of the other players and get a chance to start developing them, start stretching their innings, etc.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

BroyledNutts

After watching our staff pitch these games, it seems as though pitching is aggressive until the opponent gets a hit or two, and then it's nibble, nibble, nibble...0-2 count? Pitch away...nearly every time. Good teams pick up on this - it becomes easy to sit and wait for the count to even...maybe foul one or two off...then it's back to nibbling...the odds of a walk increase with every passive pitch. I understand the concept of location pitching; of working a hitter in-out to keep him guessing. I also understand the concept of using a hitter's overly aggressive plate presence as a weapon against him.

Experience and playing time teach pitchers when to be passive, and when to go right after a hitter. A lack of experience seems to cause too much nibbling when our pitchers struggle with location, or when hitters are making contact with the power pitches, and too much nibbling equals walks and scoring opportunities.

I would like to see our pitchers stay aggressive beyond the first time through the rotation. I'm pretty sure Jorn and DVH would like to see that too. This staff just needs more experience on the mound and confidence to go right after hitters, even after yielding hits...let their defense behind them work for them. Just my thoughts.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: BroyledNutts on February 22, 2015, 09:53:31 am
After watching our staff pitch these games, it seems as though pitching is aggressive until the opponent gets a hit or two, and then it's nibble, nibble, nibble...0-2 count? Pitch away...nearly every time. Good teams pick up on this - it becomes easy to sit and wait for the count to even...maybe foul one or two off...then it's back to nibbling...the odds of a walk increase with every passive pitch. I understand the concept of location pitching; of working a hitter in-out to keep him guessing. I also understand the concept of using a hitter's overly aggressive plate presence as a weapon against him.

Experience and playing time teach pitchers when to be passive, and when to go right after a hitter. A lack of experience seems to cause too much nibbling when our pitchers struggle with location, or when hitters are making contact with the power pitches, and too much nibbling equals walks and scoring opportunities.

I would like to see our pitchers stay aggressive beyond the first time through the rotation. I'm pretty sure Jorn and DVH would like to see that too. This staff just needs more experience on the mound and confidence to go right after hitters, even after yielding hits...let their defense behind them work for them. Just my thoughts.

An excellent observation Broyled...I noticed that especially Jackson did this yesterday (his two strikeouts were the first two batters, none after that).  I think there can be several reasons for this, not the least of which is blue (the man behind the catcher) but you have to deal with that anyway.  If a pitcher only has two pitches or only two that he can get over the plate, then after two strikes, if he isn't aggressive, he tends to think what next; and then starts to try to get with spotting what he is afraid he cant get with stuff. 

A confident, proven pitcher attacks.  However, we only have one pitcher (Killian) who is a proven starter. 

TuckFexas

So I was off on the effective only one time thru the lineup, but damn does he look much better coming out of the pen! This team looks a lot more formidable with Killian back in the rotation.
Famous quote.

Kevin

On two pitchers used   Full bullpen for tomorrow

flippinhogmana

Quote from: TuckFexas on March 06, 2015, 06:23:00 pm
So I was off on the effective only one time thru the lineup, but damn does he look much better coming out of the pen! This team looks a lot more formidable with Killian back in the rotation.

Tuck, I don't know if you're mostly right or a third right.  One, he definitely went through the lineup effectively more than once as you acknowledge, but I don't know if it was that he better coming out of the pen, or just better. 

Team sports are curious things.  I have seen some people that didn't want to outdo their teammates because they considered them leaders.  Sometimes I have seen players wait until injured teammates got back until they really started to perform.  I don't know if it was psychological or intentional, but I have seen it before.  I don't know if that was the case with Killian being back today for the first time this season, but for some reason Jackson cut loose today didn't he?

TuckFexas

I think Jackson would like to be a starter, but is more comfortable out of the pen. As a starter, you're expected to give at least 5-6 innings before turning it over to the pen. With that, you have to pace yourself. When he comes in to relieve, he can cut it loose because the expectation is to get outs and not worry about how many innings as DVH will pull you when he's seen enough. For right now, Jackson is $$$$ as a long reliever and that's where he adds the most value to our staff. I think it stays that way all season.
Famous quote.

ricepig

Quote from: TuckFexas on March 06, 2015, 06:54:40 pm
I think Jackson would like to be a starter, but is more comfortable out of the pen. As a starter, you're expected to give at least 5-6 innings before turning it over to the pen. With that, you have to pace yourself. When he comes in to relieve, he can cut it loose because the expectation is to get outs and not worry about how many innings as DVH will pull you when he's seen enough. For right now, Jackson is $$$$ as a long reliever and that's where he adds the most value to our staff. I think it stays that way all season.

We need someone to be that long reliever like Moore was, maybe they'll plug Jackson in that spot and use the others as short guys. Of course, if our weekend guys go as we hope, he doesn't get many innings.

TuckFexas

Quote from: ricepig on March 06, 2015, 07:06:08 pm
We need someone to be that long reliever like Moore was, maybe they'll plug Jackson in that spot and use the others as short guys. Of course, if our weekend guys go as we hope, he doesn't get many innings.

If Killian stays healthy, then ideally he goes 7-8 per and Jackson is only used an inning max if at all and can come back Saturday or Sunday and go longer if needed. I've got a feeling we won't see long outings on the regular from Taco, McKinney, or anyone else we roll out there.
Famous quote.

SPAL

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Certainly feel better about our pitching staff after today's performances. 1 walk and 1 HBP total today. Feel like we just added 2 aces to the staff. Hopefully more pieces to the puzzle will fall into place tomorrow.

Feels good to win a 2-1 ball game with Killian on the mound. Happy for him and Jackson. 

hogman64

Quote from: TuckFexas on March 06, 2015, 07:11:57 pm
If Killian stays healthy, then ideally he goes 7-8 per and Jackson is only used an inning max if at all and can come back Saturday or Sunday and go longer if needed. I've got a feeling we won't see long outings on the regular from Taco, McKinney, or anyone else we roll out there.

Good chance you are right but I am thinking McKinney may have a heck of a freshman year, he looks like he has "it "  to me....

ucahogfan

Quote from: TuckFexas on March 06, 2015, 07:11:57 pm
If Taco can consistently throw strikes, he is the type of pitcher who can have some quick innings and can be a workhorse on this staff.

And I agree with hogman, McKinney has the "it" factor, but then again, you would expect a top 50 recruit out of high school to have the "it" factor.  His outing against Maryland was excellent and he couldn't even throw his best pitch for a strike.  That is the mark of a special talent IMO.

TuckFexas

McKinney certainly could have a helluva freshman campaign, but he hasn't gone thru the grinder of SEC play yet and could certainly have some short-lived outings. I'm hoping he can give us a solid 5-7 per start on Sundays and if so, we'll definitely have a shot at Omaha.
Famous quote.

ricepig

Quote from: TuckFexas on March 07, 2015, 09:34:37 am
McKinney certainly could have a helluva freshman campaign, but he hasn't gone thru the grinder of SEC play yet and could certainly have some short-lived outings. I'm hoping he can give us a solid 5-7 per start on Sundays and if so, we'll definitely have a shot at Omaha.

I remember our Ace having a good non-con and then having trouble when it came time for SEC play as a freshman. It's a pretty good jump up when it gets league time.

flippinhogmana

March 07, 2015, 10:37:48 am #33 Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 12:00:23 pm by flippinhogmana
Quote from: ricepig on March 07, 2015, 09:55:14 am
I remember our Ace having a good non-con and then having trouble when it came time for SEC play as a freshman. It's a pretty good jump up when it gets league time.

The younger you are the more a tight and inconsistent strike zone on the road seems to bother you.  Throw in a botched play behind you, and you can fall into the trap of thinking you have to strike out everyone; and not only that, but on perfect pitches, maybe even blow it by them.  Before you know it, you're over throwing and its easy enough to be down three or four runs.  Welcome to the SEC on the road, rookie!  May not be fair, but it happens.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S