Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

This Weekend's Opponents

Started by GatorHog, February 15, 2015, 10:45:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

GatorHog

February 15, 2015, 10:45:11 pm Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 07:55:20 pm by GatorHog
(1) UCF (4-0), last year: 36-23 / outscored Siena 28-5 opening weekend, beat Bethune Cookman 10-2 mid-week

(2) So. Alabama (4-0), last year: not good / outscored New Orleans 23-11; beat Auburn 7-4 mid-week

(3) Maryland (3-0), last year: 40-23, lost to UVA in Super Regional 2 games to 1.

MD outscored WKU, Canisius, Old Dominion 20-9 (combined) opening weekend.

Should be fun! 

flippinhogmana

February 15, 2015, 11:11:48 pm #1 Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 10:56:07 pm by flippinhogmana
As a poster said in one of the game threads Gator, this weekend and the couple to follow will tell us a lot more about ourselves than the first glorious weekend.  For one thing all three schools are further south than our first opponent and will have had prior playing time and outside practice that ND didnt have the first weekend.  Second two of the three are far enough south that they might have had more outside time than us. Third, two of the three are ranked above us (Maryland and UCF).

I look forward to the challenge none the less. ghg
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

February 15, 2015, 11:13:10 pm #2 Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 09:21:57 pm by A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S
Weather in Mobile next weekend:

Friday: H54/L51 20%
Saturday: H68/L61  40%
Sunday: H67/L42  80%

Fayetteville has a 70% and 90% chance of rain on Friday and Saturday and a 50% chance of snow on Sunday.

RussVegas Hawg

Will Killean be ready this weekend or will it be closer to SEC play? I haven't heard DVH say.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Kevin

All the teams did what was expected the first weekend.  Figure us & Maryland will do a lot if work inside this week with the weather
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

flippinhogmana

Quote from: Kevin on February 16, 2015, 07:03:19 am
Not till sec

if then  :puke:  .  Playing pretty much year round now has always bothered me, particular with pitchers.  I am afraid we may have burned him a bit with the USA thing last summer, but if it wasn't that, it would have been summer ball, but he also threw quite a bit in the season.  The arm can only take so much.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

February 18, 2015, 03:59:45 am #7 Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 09:23:22 pm by A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S
South Alabama is hosting this weekends games, here are some links to their ball park, Stanky Field:
Looks like these pictures in the website haven't been updated in a while, but here they are:
http://www.usajaguars.com/sports/2006/7/30/973200917.aspx?tab=facilities
and here is their main page:
http://www.usajaguars.com/index.aspx?tab=baseball&path=baseball
and here are their stats:
http://www.usajaguars.com/custompages/Stats/Baseball/2015/teamstat.htm?path=baseball

It appears that these photos were taken in 2002 and 2006.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

flippinhogmana

Quote from: A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S on February 18, 2015, 04:28:03 am
South Alabama beat Auburn on Tuesday, 7-4 at USA.
http://www.usajaguars.com/custompages/Stats/Baseball/2015/usa15-04.htm

Correct me if I get this wrong, but they are the only team not ranked above us (I know Maryland is ranked above, and I think Central Florida is).  This will be a very stern test of our relatively new team (a lot of vets, but a lot fresh, redshirts and transfers yet to fully blend and find their chemistry).  I am glad we have quite a few vets performing well.  We will do as well as Tacco and Jackson do, I think.  Stone will definitely play meaningful minutes this weekend too.  It should be exciting.

Kevin

I look forward to this weekends games.

SPAL

Depends on the poll. I use perfect game exclusively for rankings and we are ranked above both. Maryland is ranked above us elsewhere, but I don't think UCF is in any poll.

ricepig

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on February 18, 2015, 12:00:26 pm
Depends on the poll. I use perfect game exclusively for rankings and we are ranked above both. Maryland is ranked above us elsewhere, but I don't think UCF is in any poll.

#22 in BA poll.

flippinhogmana

First UCF is ranked, but the point that I was making is that the weekend will be VERY competitive.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Forgot about So Alabama beating us twice last year at Baum......pay back time!

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

February 19, 2015, 07:25:47 pm #17 Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 07:41:57 pm by A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S
Razorback Baseball ‏@RazorbackBSB  · 2h2 hours ago 
Wrapping up a chilly Thursday night practice at South Alabama. First pitch against @UCF_Baseball in 21 hours. #WPS

GatorHog

UCF beat Bethune-Cookman 10-2 yesterday. Looking forward to Tacco's outing tomorrow!

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: GatorHog on February 19, 2015, 08:01:14 pm
UCF beat Bethune-Cookman 10-2 yesterday. Looking forward to Tacco's outing tomorrow!
Should be some good ball games all weekend. I think this club is ready for some decent competition and we may be ahead of most years, at least defensively.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: RussVegas Hawg on February 15, 2015, 11:30:01 pm
Will Killean be ready this weekend or will it be closer to SEC play? I haven't heard DVH say.
DVH said Trey may be throwing around this week in practice and hopes to have him pitch a little bit against Cal or Loyola. Hope we don't miss him this weekend.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S on February 15, 2015, 11:13:10 pm
Weather in Mobile next weekend:

Friday: H54/L51 20%
Saturday: H68/L61  40%
Sunday: H67/L42  80%

Fayetteville has a 70% and 90% chance of rain on Friday and Saturday and a 50% chance of snow on Sunday.

UPDATE for Mobile, Al.
Friday
Mostly Sunny
54° / 49°
Saturday
Mostly Cloudy
69° / 58°
Sunday
Mostly Cloudy
72° / 47°

jry04

In my opinion, and I think most would agree, since Aaron Fitt and Kendall Rodgers joined D1 baseball, D1 Baseball is probably the best poll to go by. Those 2 are probably the best guys in college baseball, and now they are together.