Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Anybody miss Chuck?

Started by Hawgey-Davidson, February 15, 2015, 03:16:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawgey-Davidson

Listened to all 3 games of ND series. Kinda hard getting used to new guy. Thought Chuck was one of the best out there. What say you?

Dr. Starcs

Chuck should consider himself very fortunate to have a job at the u of a in any capacity, much less able to live in Florida.

SPAL

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on February 15, 2015, 03:26:23 pm
Chuck should consider himself very fortunate to have a job at the u of a in any capacity, much less able to live in Florida.

Why?

Replacing chuck in baseball is like replacing Paul in football. Yeah, I said it and I mean it. I thought the new guy did a great job. Very concise, knowledgeable, has good sound. I think he will be a home run. I admit, I only listened to brief periods, but in those periods, he was great.

jacobp

I'll always miss chucks call of a baseball game.

This guy could be good though

PorcineSublime

I listened to part of the game Friday (got out of work later than I meant to). I just have one issue that I suppose I will get over. I can't stand the way he continually refers to base runners as a "duck on the pond". It annoys me for some irrational reason. But otherwise pretty solid.
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

grayhawg

That "duck on the pond" phrase sounds like little league baseball too me.

DOGALUM

The new guy was fine....and will get more comfortable as we go on.  While I agree that Chuck was a very good baseball PBP guy, I will never be able to forgive him for his past transgressions.   Terrorist indeed...
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

Scott7703

To me Chuck was the best in the business. Hated to see him go but Phil Elson will do just fine. I thought baseball was Chucks best sport.

ImHogginIt

Where in Florida does he live now ?

ThisTeetsTaken

I thought the new guy did a good job.  He is a pro and did a nice job of continually describing the action and not allowing the listener to wonder what was happening.  Having said that, though, I missed hearing Chuck call the game.  I'm sure I'll get over that with time. 
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

micali

I really missed Chuck in baseball.  I wish they would find someone else to do the other sports. I don't care for him in FB or BB.

TikiHog

Chuck is great in all sports

Kevin

Just wish we could get rid of Rick   It is time for him to go.

New guy is professional, needs to be more of a homer.
Alex Perlman on the sec + is terrible
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Hawgzinbowlz

Phil sounds like he will settle in and be a very professional voice for 'Omahog Ball'.

With a little time both Phil and Rick should adjust to each others style/tempo.

Chuck's timing was excellent, in his BB broadcasts, and he will be missed.

" GO OMAHOGS "

respirback

I don't get the Chuck Barrett hate. I thought he was a great baseball announcer. The new guy is boring.

westside_player

I've listened to Phil Elson do a lot of Travs games. He's a lot different than Chuck but if you listen to Phil enough you will get to like him more than Chuck. Phil is real good

Hawgey-Davidson

Quote from: westside_player on February 16, 2015, 09:26:44 am
I've listened to Phil Elson do a lot of Travs games. He's a lot different than Chuck but if you listen to Phil enough you will get to like him more than Chuck. Phil is real good
I listened to Chuck for 15 years or so. Dont know if I got that much time left. I love my Hog baseball so I guess I give it a go.

trippigs

Chuck was very good and as such will be missed. Phil is good as well and will do just fine. I just wish you could sync radio and SEC video together for the best of both worlds. I tried this during football games and all three baseball games....just doesn't work unless I am missing some trick.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: trippigs on February 16, 2015, 12:21:41 pm
Chuck was very good and as such will be missed. Phil is good as well and will do just fine. I just wish you could sync radio and SEC video together for the best of both worlds. I tried this during football games and all three baseball games....just doesn't work unless I am missing some trick.
WatchESPN was about a minute behind the radio for me this weekend. Going to try the university website audio link next time to see if it delays it some to sync it up closer.

fullfan

What's the story behind Chuck not being here? Is he out in Football as well?

jry04

Where he lives is irrelevant. I do not get everyone crying about him living in Florida, but calling Arkansas games. Why does it matter where he lives?

An old hog fanatic

Chuck no longer works for the University. He is employed by IMG.
Winners never quit and bitchers do - Lanny

BroyledNutts

Quote from: respirback on February 16, 2015, 06:16:03 am
I don't get the Chuck Barrett hate. I thought he was a great baseball announcer. The new guy is boring.

+1 for the RJD avatar....

Chuck had the natural ability to fill the spaces between plays...he also did a very good job of describing what was occurring on the field. He had a historical depth and an emotional tie with the program that gave him a unique perspective, and he was able to incorporate that into the broadcast; which in turn broadened the interest of the broadcast. It wasn't just balls and strikes; there was a back story, and Chuck was able to tell it during the course of a game or a season. He and Rick Schaeffer are solely responsible for my interest in Razorback Baseball.
Phil Ellson has that natural ability to weave history and stats into a broadcast as well - although his delivery is different. He also gets animated at the right times during a game, just as Chuck did. Phil's historical knowledge is good enough to fill the voids of the broadcast too...and he works just as well with Rick as Chuck did.

I think in time he will be a good PBP man for the Baseball team; he just has to get a little more accustomed to calling college baseball and not the minor leagues.

Make no mistake, however; there was only one Chuck Barrett in Baseball PBP.

Hogustus Caesar

"Mastering the art of discourse with the tenacity of a razorback and the eloquence of an emperor – HogustusCaesar, where discussions meet greatness."

Knot2brite

I miss Chuck but Chuck makes more money doing football and basketball and he has to do less work at times for those two than football. The new guy will get better but he won't be as good as Chuck was for Hog baseball.
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

pigture perfect

I like Chuck better, but I'm not that much of a complainer. I'm also not buttthurt by a 8 year old comment.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Science Fiction Greg

Quote from: pigture perfect on February 16, 2015, 11:53:03 pm
I like Chuck better, but I'm not that much of a complainer. I'm also not buttthurt by a 8 year old comment.

Agree on all points.  Thought I do like Phil and I'm sure he will grow on me even more.  Sounds more than competent.

Disappointed to read one thing in this thread, though.  After listening to about half of game 1 and half of game 2 on the radio I told my wife that I'm at least glad we didn't get the "ducks on a pond" guy because I hated that phrase so much.  Apparently it is that guy and he just isn't saying it?  Or I missed him saying it?
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

kennymayne

Quote from: Kevin on February 15, 2015, 07:01:01 pm
Just wish we could get rid of Rick   It is time for him to go.

New guy is professional, needs to be more of a homer.
Alex Perlman on the sec + is terrible

Perlman is pretty bad. Analyst isn't very good either.

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: Possible Oatmeal on February 17, 2015, 09:07:46 am
Agree on all points.  Thought I do like Phil and I'm sure he will grow on me even more.  Sounds more than competent.

Disappointed to read one thing in this thread, though.  After listening to about half of game 1 and half of game 2 on the radio I told my wife that I'm at least glad we didn't get the "ducks on a pond" guy because I hated that phrase so much.  Apparently it is that guy and he just isn't saying it?  Or I missed him saying it?
I heard him say "ducks on he pond" a few times.   Didn't like it either.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

ricepig

Quote from: kennymayne on February 17, 2015, 11:16:05 am
Perlman is pretty bad. Analyst isn't very good either.

At least the analyst played, I'm not sure Alex ever played with the way he calls a game.

woodhog14

Quote from: PorcineSublime on February 15, 2015, 04:25:25 pm
I listened to part of the game Friday (got out of work later than I meant to). I just have one issue that I suppose I will get over. I can't stand the way he continually refers to base runners as a "duck on the pond". It annoys me for some irrational reason. But otherwise pretty solid.

Yeah, I agree. My annoying irrational reason was that I couldn't stand how Chuck would say "a Grand Slam Homerun". We all know that a Grand Slam is a homerun. It's just Grand Slam...

Dr. Starcs

^^^

In fairness, its also a breakfast at Denny's. :)

woodhog14

ricepig

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on February 17, 2015, 05:56:49 pm
^^^

In fairness, its also a breakfast at Denny's. :)

Goes without saying......

PorcineSublime

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on February 17, 2015, 11:28:21 am
I heard him say "ducks on he pond" a few times.   Didn't like it either.
I was disappointed when I heard it was going to be him because of that, but after getting to hear him a bit, I think I can overlook that one phrase as he seems more than competent otherwise.
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

Dr. Starcs

How 'bout "Hogs in the pen"?

GaryHog

Not only no but hellllllll no
Make America Great Again!!!!!!!

cosmodrum

Chuck is one of the best in the biz in baseball. That's not even much of an opinion.

Hard act to follow. I'll certainly give the new guy a chance.
Go away, batin'

cosmodrum

Quote from: woodhog14 on February 17, 2015, 05:53:17 pm
Yeah, I agree. My annoying irrational reason was that I couldn't stand how Chuck would say "a Grand Slam Homerun". We all know that a Grand Slam is a homerun. It's just Grand Slam...

Lol that's some nit picky stuff right there
Go away, batin'

Razorback7281

Quote from: cosmodrum on February 18, 2015, 11:52:04 pm
Lol that's some nit picky stuff right there
Happens like what 2 or 3 times a year at most right, not like a ball or strike call.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on September 16, 2015, 08:55:43 pmgurantee I'm smarter then you..but that's not saying much.
Quote from: talley on September 17, 2015, 09:53:38 am
you misspelled "Guarantee" while trying to talk about how smart you are.  Epic Fail.
Quote from: Lanny on October 16, 2015, 07:37:58 am
Good job everyone except Faldon.

bighog2255

On days like this when it's Rick only, I will miss Chuck. Don't know how that guy has that job

HogFansReunited

I hated listening to Chuck do play by play for football but he was a very good baseball play by play guy.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

reddogjcss

Many didn't like Chuck when he started and now most do. Give a little time and see what we think on the new guy. I'm sure he's not at his best this early in the year.

fieldturf

Now that Chuck is gone it will set the Razorback baseball broadcast back 10 years...

JIMMY BOARFFETT

Quote from: fieldturf on February 22, 2015, 05:38:47 pm
Now that Chuck is gone it will set the Razorback baseball broadcast back 10 years...

DOH!  +1
My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

Dr. Starcs

Don't miss chuck at all but do miss Stanek, Sugg, Keuchel, etc.

RazorPiggie

Guess I missed something. Why?

Science Fiction Greg

Quote from: pigture perfect on February 16, 2015, 11:53:03 pm
I'm also not buttthurt by a 8 year old comment.

Amazing how many are.
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.