Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Veteran Employers in Arkansas

Started by Großer Kriegschwein, February 27, 2015, 09:15:43 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Pork Twain

Quote from: Hudge on January 02, 2017, 01:41:59 pm
While I agree a lot with this, part of it is the state of Arkansas itself and how it looks at vets.  My wife was on a committee while at LRAFB for a short time that consisted of base leadership, state agencies, and local businesses to get them interested in hiring vets.  Vets were the number one population in the state (roughly 2009 time period) that had at least some education, training or some sort or the other, and drug free, that was either unemployed or underemployed in the state of Arkansas.  Oklahoma has a work placement for veterans that many local DoD officials at LRAFB were trying to push to the state, but they would not get on board with it.  She said it was frustrating at how many companies kept saying they were taking work away form other Arkansans, as retired and disabled veterans were already getting a pay check from their time in, and that didn't feel that was right.  Either way, get your education while your in, I will never regret finishing my BA, getting a BS, and my MBA while in. 

I think the best person should get any job, not the 2nd or 3rd best person that gets pushed ahead of #13 because he is a vet.  That is just me though.  We are all responsible for preparing for the day we get out.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Pork Twain

January 06, 2017, 12:51:25 pm #51 Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 05:19:32 am by Pork Twain
Quote from: The Chief on January 02, 2017, 04:54:28 pm
The State of Arkansas, while my home, is a terrible state from the viewpoint of working, taxes, and veteran issues.

I have 40 acres of land in Arkansas that I can build a home with and my wife and I are contemplating living somewhere else like Florida.  Arkansas gives no incentive for opportunity.  Arkansas taxes its residents out of economic growth.  Sales tax, property tax, state income tax, etc. is higher than other states whose economies are growing and providing lucrative opportunity for veterans and non-veterans, alike.

Case in point:  Why should I move back to Arkansas when I will be punished with a high sales tax when I buy real property/vehicles, then pay annual property tax for being successful and owning property, and then allow the state to tax my income that I've earned and also the unearned income I've made through investments? 

Florida, Texas, and Tennessee have no state income tax.  At least they can justify their property taxes.  See my point, Arkansas?

Sorry, got on a rant after vacationing for Christmas in Van Buren, AR, where the population has outgrown the infrastructure and the city council has no plans to solve the problem.  Also, the city council has no plans for economic growth as they allow small Alma, AR, to land retail stores such as Atwoods.  It blows my mind.
All of that sounds more like economic and tax issues and not so much veteran issues though.  Those are the same reasons I will never move back and will stay here in Virginia.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 06, 2017, 12:51:25 pm
All of that sounds more like economic ad tax issues and not so much veteran issues though.  Those are the same reasons I will never move back and will stay here in Virginia.

Yeah, I got on a roll.  My main point was that there is no incentive for the veteran/retiree to return to Arkansas.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: The Chief on January 06, 2017, 03:11:51 pm
Yeah, I got on a roll.  My main point was that there is no incentive for the veteran/retiree to return to Arkansas.

The incentive is that I don't have to listen to family piss and moan about me living out of state.

My family's incentive for me to move back is money.

In Louisiana, if you are over 90% VA disabled, you're kids go to college for free. That's about $120k worth of reason to stay in Louisiana
This is my non-signature signature.

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: The Chief on January 04, 2016, 01:22:42 pm
As for the degree thing, absolutely.  I'm five classes shy of my bachelor's degree in BA and am kicking myself for not doing this earlier in my career.  I've been steadily knocking out classes two at a time for the last few years.

Just an update.  I completed my bachelor's degree last month.  Feels good.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

hawgrunner

Quote from: The Chief on May 06, 2017, 04:07:47 pm
Just an update.  I completed my bachelor's degree last month.  Feels good.

Great Job!! Now just need your MBA, PMP and Six Sigma Cert.

;)