Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fantasy baseball question!

Started by 4th and 1, May 30, 2006, 05:12:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

4th and 1

wrong forum but i gotta ask before this guy cancels the trade...would you give up sheffield and otsuka...for jason bay??

CharlieHog

maybe for Jason Bay and a reliever...

Brewerfan10

no shot, otsuka will get plenty of save opportunities (if the ranges keep scoring and their pitching holds up) while sheffield is a HOFer and in the yankee line up, he will get plenty of RBI opportunities. jason bay is just on a hot streak right now. in the pirates line up he won't get the opportunities to drive in runs that gary does.

msudawgs64

actually it looks like Bay may repeat his 2005 numbers, may increase in HR's, probably equal or exceed his RBI and run totals and also his BA and OBP, not really a hot streak, he is the real deal but playing for a crappy club. Is this a keeper league? If so I would pull the trigger on it, Bay has more upside, even on the Pirates IMO than Sheffield with the Yankees, since keepers are for the long haul.  The only problem I would have with keeping Otsuka is that he plays for the Rangers, inevitably the heat of the Texas summer and that hitters park will get to him so I don't see him lasting much longer, though as a Ranger fan I hope he does but history has not shown me otherwise with Rangers pitching.
If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.  ~Dave Barry

"I'd rather lose a game like that than a 5-4 ballgame when somebody walks in the winning run or makes an error" -MSU's former head coach Ron Polk after South Carolina pummeled the Bulldogs 20-3 on 3/23/2007.

Feb. 20, 2009-a new era in MSU Baseball begins.

HogCards88

Yes, especially if it is a keeper league.

devildog

I have Bay and he's hot no doubt. I wouldn't make that trade though- you didn't say which side you were on but the person getting Bay and giving up two productive players is gettin ripped a little.

I also have Sexson and I'll trade him for pack of baseball cards right now - the hot streaks come and go.

WindyCityHog

Yes.....

Do it fast....Bay is a fantasy monster.

Sheff is an injury waiting to happen.

Porkahontas

Quote from: WindyCityHog on May 30, 2006, 10:15:50 pm
Yes.....

Do it fast....Bay is a fantasy monster.

Sheff is an injury waiting to happen.

My sentiments exactly.

Jason Bay is gonna have a huge year. Sheffield will get hurt again before the year is over and will miss about 20 more games. Otsuka could slide out of the closers role at a moment's notice with a bad week. You know how these relievers are.

Oklahawg

Otsuka = pitches for the Strangers, as in 81 games annually in Arlington. He's holding the spot for the incumbant closer, imho.

Sheffield = end of the career rapidly approaching. When his hands slow just a tad he'll miss on half of those HRs and 2Bs.

Bay = Just getting started.

Here's what I'd do. I'd milk Otsuka for 2 more weeks of saves. Then do the deal.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Oklahawg

PS Get something back for your pitching staff. Find a middle reliever type who'll get 50 IP the rest of the way with an ERA around 3.00 and a WHIP around 1.10, or less.

Go to "closer watch" and see who is #2 for some folks. Maybe they are available for the lump of coal you pick up in the deal and then waive to get this #2.

http://theinsidepitch.com/closer_watch.html
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

msudawgs64

and just like that, Sheffield hits the DL..geezus this post was not even a week old..
If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.  ~Dave Barry

"I'd rather lose a game like that than a 5-4 ballgame when somebody walks in the winning run or makes an error" -MSU's former head coach Ron Polk after South Carolina pummeled the Bulldogs 20-3 on 3/23/2007.

Oklahawg

There's an odd karma working here. I will NOT be posting about any of my players for the forseeable future.

msudawgs64

LOL..I think I shall start discussing the players NOT on my team..maybe that odd karma will work in reverse..