Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pettway

Started by hogcam, March 01, 2018, 12:30:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogcam

Moving to safety?? I like it, if true.

Tusks

That's interesting.  I hope he buys in cause he seems to have some talent.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Deep Shoat

Quote from: hogcam on March 01, 2018, 12:30:57 pm
Where he should have been all along.
All Gas, No Brakes!

presidenthog

Where did you hear this??

hawgfan4life

Curious about Montaric Brown.  His highlights were very good and he could have gone to Bama.  Hard to believe with our recruited DBs on campus (like Montaric Brown) that this is going to be a great move for him unless he is a head-hunter that was out of place on offense.

RME

What?

Pretty sure Morris said in the presser yesterday there were no notable position changes.

presidenthog

Quote from: hawgfan4life on March 01, 2018, 02:24:46 pm
Curious about Montaric Brown.  His highlights were very good and he could have gone to Bama.  Hard to believe with our recruited DBs on campus (like Montaric Brown) that this is going to be a great move for him unless he is a head-hunter that was out of place on offense.

We lost 2 of our 3 starting safeties. Santos is a SR this year. The back ups are a RS FR montariac, a 2 star super reach in Micah Smith. Freshman Mason. That is all. So no this move is perfectly fine due to the fact that we have no experienced good bodies.

We also have ried Miller who is undersized and i believe a SR or rs jr.

In saying all of that. Pettway is a look like Tarzan play like Jane meme. Dude is soft.

opineonswine

I don't have a clue, but maybe Pettway wants to help the team, knows we can use more bodies at safety and volunteered to switch (after Coach's comments yesterday).  Or maybe it was someone's dream last night.  Just spitballing....

Mike Irwin

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on March 01, 2018, 02:27:44 pm
What?

Pretty sure Morris said in the presser yesterday there were no notable position changes.
The secondary coach has said that the's going to experiment this spring trying to make sure everybody is playing at the right position. He has clearly stated that players will be moving all over the secondary during spring ball.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: opineonswine on March 01, 2018, 02:33:47 pm
I don't have a clue, but maybe Pettway wants to help the team, knows we can use more bodies at safety and volunteered to switch (after Coach's comments yesterday).  Or maybe it was someone's dream last night.  Just spitballing....
Very well could be. It could also come down to the fact that perhaps the coaches looked over the past game films, evaluated the talent the young man possesses and decided that perhaps he could be of greater benefit to the team by making the move. Will certainly be interesting to see how things unfold.

RME

Quote from: Mike Irwin on March 01, 2018, 02:39:30 pm
The secondary coach has said that the's going to experiment this spring trying to make sure everybody is playing at the right position. He has clearly stated that players will be moving all over the secondary during spring ball.

I understand doing that for guys who are already DBs, but does that include taking guys who are receivers right now and seeing what they can do back there?

31to6

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on March 01, 2018, 02:27:44 pm
What?

He then said, in the extended answer to that question, that there were some minor changes to address depth. Maybe he considers moving a WR (of which he has said we have more than we need on the roster) to S as minor if it is a good move for the player?

ricepig

We'll know about 4:20ish today when the media gets a look. The color of his jersey will give it away.

East TN HAWG

Morris said earlier that we have more WR than he normally carries.  I suspect this may be to shorten the WR line and strengthen the DBs.  It could also be that they see something in Pettway that makes a good safety.  As hard as they are working recruiting, its hard to imagine that they have not done their homework on current players (both game tape and practice tape.) 

Mike Irwin

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on March 01, 2018, 02:42:02 pm
I understand doing that for guys who are already DBs, but does that include taking guys who are receivers right now and seeing what they can do back there?
This is all Morris said about players changing positions:

Reporter: Other than Barkley, any position switches?

Morris: Not really. Not too many. When you talk about shifting from a three-down to a four-down from defensively, some of these guys that may be a jack backer or a back that's maybe been a standup may be more of a rush end now. I don't foresee that too much as a position change as it is a defensive scheme change. But right now, today, no. Now, there may be as we continue to go. We may move some guys just to try a few things just from some depth chart issues, but nothing right now that would be permanent.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: East TN HAWG on March 01, 2018, 02:48:47 pm
Morris said earlier that we have more WR than he normally carries.  I suspect this may be to shorten the WR line and strengthen the DBs.  It could also be that they see something in Pettway that makes a good safety.  As hard as they are working recruiting, its hard to imagine that they have not done their homework on current players (both game tape and practice tape.)
Certainly could be a factor. However, whatever happens I have faith the staff will figure out where best to play Pettway.

AirWarren

Hawgndaaz

I don't like thread titles like this. I automatically assume a transfer or injury.

hawganatic

Quote from: Deep Shoat on March 01, 2018, 01:14:15 pm

Are we going to see this same post in every thread about position changes...

Uncle Remus

Quote from: Mike Irwin on March 01, 2018, 03:00:00 pm
This is all Morris said about players changing positions:

Reporter: Other than Barkley, any position switches?

Morris: Not really. Not too many. When you talk about shifting from a three-down to a four-down from defensively, some of these guys that may be a jack backer or a back that's maybe been a standup may be more of a rush end now. I don't foresee that too much as a position change as it is a defensive scheme change. But right now, today, no. Now, there may be as we continue to go. We may move some guys just to try a few things just from some depth chart issues, but nothing right now that would be permanent.

I've possibly been snoozing the last couple of days...what position is Barkley moving to, and I also heard Trey Biddy say something about there would be no further attrition that he knew of other than the transfer of....and then the radio signal got fuzzy.  I swear it sounded like he said Cole Kelley(which I know is not happening).  Any further insight into who was the last player to transfer out?

ricepig

Quote from: hawganatic on March 01, 2018, 03:14:54 pm

All along.

bennyl08

Quote from: presidenthog on March 01, 2018, 02:29:25 pm
We lost 2 of our 3 starting safeties. Santos is a SR this year. The back ups are a RS FR montariac, a 2 star super reach in Micah Smith. Freshman Mason. That is all. So no this move is perfectly fine due to the fact that we have no experienced good bodies.

We also have ried Miller who is undersized and i believe a SR or rs jr.

In saying all of that. Pettway is a look like Tarzan play like Jane meme. Dude is soft.

Umm, no. In alphabetical order, we have Brown, Curl, Dalton, Edwards, Miller, Ramirez, Smith, Foucha, and Mason along with possibly Pettway. Curl and Dalton are both good enough to play CB or S. Curl played CB last year due to need there and depth at S, but he is best at S.

Ramirez and Miller are both Seniors. Dalton will be a Junior. Edwards, Curl, and Smith will be Sophomores along with Freshmen in Brown, Foucha, and Mason. Pettway, for the record, will be a Junior.

Also, Micah Smith is far from a "reach" much less a 2 star. Guy's a 3* same as most of our player. He's a step below safety prospects like Brown and Mason, but he'd be our best starting safety in the past decade save for Thomas and Ramirez.

http://www.hudl.com/profile/3903748/Micahh-Smith
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

presidenthog

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 01, 2018, 03:21:18 pm
Umm, no. In alphabetical order, we have Brown, Curl, Dalton, Edwards, Miller, Ramirez, Smith, Foucha, and Mason along with possibly Pettway. Curl and Dalton are both good enough to play CB or S. Curl played CB last year due to need there and depth at S, but he is best at S.

Ramirez and Miller are both Seniors. Dalton will be a Junior. Edwards, Curl, and Smith will be Sophomores along with Freshmen in Brown, Foucha, and Mason. Pettway, for the record, will be a Junior.

Also, Micah Smith is far from a "reach" much less a 2 star. Guy's a 3* same as most of our player. He's a step below safety prospects like Brown and Mason, but he'd be our best starting safety in the past decade save for Thomas and Ramirez.

http://www.hudl.com/profile/3903748/Micahh-Smith

He was a 2 star according to 247. Stop trying to rewrite history. We were his only p5 offer. I noticed you posted his hudl and not his 247 account. I am at work and have poor service or I would post the link. Go ahead Google micahh smith. Multiple articles show up calling him a 2 star with no other power 5 offers.

Also I agree on curl being a safety.

Busta_Nutt

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on March 01, 2018, 03:06:42 pm
I don't like thread titles like this. I automatically assume a transfer or injury.

Don't assume. You'll make an ass out of ume...or something like that.

bennyl08

Quote from: presidenthog on March 01, 2018, 03:49:24 pm
He was a 2 star according to 247. Stop trying to rewrite history. We were his only p5 offer. I noticed you posted his hudl and not his 247 account. I am at work and have poor service or I would post the link. Go ahead Google micahh smith. Multiple articles show up calling him a 2 star with no other power 5 offers.

I posted the hudl because a video is easier to explain by watching it. However, I have his 247 page open to make sure that when I said he wasn't a 2*, I wasn't pulling anything out of my ass.

https://247sports.com/Player/Micahh-Smith-82965/high-school-143809

Composite 3*. Meaning, on average, he's a 3*.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

JIHawg

From the Razorback roster site: (I guess they could be lying).

Micahh Smith

High School
A three-star recruit by 247Sports and Scout ... Tabbed the No. 153 safety in the class and the No. 288 player in the state of Texas ... Had a breakout senior campaign, tallying a team-leading 123 tackles, including three for loss, three interceptions, one forced fumble, two fumble recoveries and seven pass breakups ... Helped lead the Mavericks to an 11-2 record and an appearance in Texas Class 5A Division II (fourth-largest of 10 divisions) regional finals under head coach Clint Harper ... Collected 76 tackles, including four for loss, one sack, one interception and five pass breakups as a junior to help Marshall to a 7-5 record and an appearance in Texas Class 5A Division II area finals ... As a sophomore, had 37 stops and three pass breakups ... Also participated in powerlifting and track ... Chose Arkansas over Northwestern (La.) State, Lamar, Texas State, Sam Houston State and Stephen F. Austin.

bennyl08

Quote from: JIHawg on March 01, 2018, 04:17:07 pm
From the Razorback roster site: (I guess they could be lying).

Micahh Smith

High School
A three-star recruit by 247Sports and Scout ... Tabbed the No. 153 safety in the class and the No. 288 player in the state of Texas ... Had a breakout senior campaign, tallying a team-leading 123 tackles, including three for loss, three interceptions, one forced fumble, two fumble recoveries and seven pass breakups ... Helped lead the Mavericks to an 11-2 record and an appearance in Texas Class 5A Division II (fourth-largest of 10 divisions) regional finals under head coach Clint Harper ... Collected 76 tackles, including four for loss, one sack, one interception and five pass breakups as a junior to help Marshall to a 7-5 record and an appearance in Texas Class 5A Division II area finals ... As a sophomore, had 37 stops and three pass breakups ... Also participated in powerlifting and track ... Chose Arkansas over Northwestern (La.) State, Lamar, Texas State, Sam Houston State and Stephen F. Austin.

He was a 3* composite with 247, but their own ranking was as high as a 2* can be before being a 3*. At least, as of today. Perhaps we was a 3* at one point by their own rankings. However, considering 247 is the only that does a composite ranking, I think it's still technically correct to say they gave him that ranking.

sowmonella

Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Pig in the Pokey

not really. 2 services had him a 2 star, the other two services had him BARELY a 3*. He is an 80 composite. That is as BARELY a 3 star as you can get. Dude is probably our lowest rated scholarship guy.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

presidenthog

Quote from: sowmonella on March 01, 2018, 04:34:11 pm

Lol I didn't get owned. He was a 2 star. I refuse to call a guy with only 1 p5 offer a 3 star. He has a 2 star offer sheet. He was rated a 2 star by the most popular service. Benny is FOS saying he is the best safety we have had since ____ when he has logged any significant minutes behind what has been considered our weakest defensive unit.

presidenthog

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on March 01, 2018, 05:11:24 pm
not really. 2 services had him a 2 star, the other two services had him BARELY a 3*. He is an 80 composite. That is as BARELY a 3 star as you can get. Dude is probably our lowest rated scholarship guy.

Truth right here.

bennyl08

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on March 01, 2018, 05:11:24 pm

He has the exact same composite score as Flowers of a .8080. 247 also listed him as a 2* and a 77 2* while Micah was a 78 2* by 247.

However, you watch Flower's HS tape and you can see that he was't a "super reach" or a prospect. Same is true of Smith. Plenty of higher rated guys that look way worse than Micah. I think the 5 safeties we've signed over the past 2 classes have a higher potential than Micah for sure. However, I can't think of a any time at least over the past 30 years where we've had better depth at the position. If all of those player live up to their potential, we could easily see a couple of them transfer for playing time and be nfl draft picks. Micah at  his potential IMO would be a 5-7th round draft pick and sits near the bottom of the totem pole of potential right now among our group despite over a decade's worth of player before him where we'd be lucky to have anybody with a hint of nfl potential at safety.

Also, not the lowest rated scholarship player we have per 247 composite.

PygmalionEffect2

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on March 01, 2018, 03:06:42 pm

I think Wally Hall tore his ACL.
President Donald Trump, on "60 Minutes," Nov. 13, 2016
"Facebook and Twitter were the reason we won this thing."

Hannity - This Nunes memo is going to make Watergate look like someone stole a candy bar.

ricepig

hoggusamoungus

jgphillips3

When he was being recruited, Pettway was a 3 star receiver but he could have been a 4 star safety.  However, lots of people from down there said he doesn't like defense, much prefers offense, and a handful said he doesn't like to hit.  However, everything about him always screamed Safety to me.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 01, 2018, 05:39:48 pm
He has the exact same composite score as Flowers of a .8080. 247 also listed him as a 2* and a 77 2* while Micah was a 78 2* by 247.

However, you watch Flower's HS tape and you can see that he was't a "super reach" or a prospect. Same is true of Smith. Plenty of higher rated guys that look way worse than Micah. I think the 5 safeties we've signed over the past 2 classes have a higher potential than Micah for sure. However, I can't think of a any time at least over the past 30 years where we've had better depth at the position. If all of those player live up to their potential, we could easily see a couple of them transfer for playing time and be nfl draft picks. Micah at  his potential IMO would be a 5-7th round draft pick and sits near the bottom of the totem pole of potential right now among our group despite over a decade's worth of player before him where we'd be lucky to have anybody with a hint of nfl potential at safety.

Also, not the lowest rated scholarship player we have per 247 composite.
well, you got as good of an eye as any of us, so im glad you feel that good about the kid tbh. wps.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

bennyl08

Quote from: jgphillips3 on March 01, 2018, 07:40:50 pm
When he was being recruited, Pettway was a 3 star receiver but he could have been a 4 star safety.  However, lots of people from down there said he doesn't like defense, much prefers offense, and a handful said he doesn't like to hit.  However, everything about him always screamed Safety to me.

One service did give him a fourth star, but I forget which. Think it was scout before they got bought up?

He ran pretty crisp routes compared to a lot of WR recruits I've watched. Don't really get to see how consistent his hands are during a highlight tape though. That seems to be his biggest problem so far here is inconsistent hands. Lord knows he has the size speed combo to be a heckuva receiver. I'm excited to see what Morris can do with him. However, even Saban doesn't bat .500 on recruits panning out. So, you just never know.

hawginbigd1

He should be going on his 3rd year as starting safety, he looked like a difference maker at safety in the film I watched, somebody gave him bad advice about playing WR IMO.

mckinneyhog5

Curl is the man! Reminds me of Michael Grant.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

SooieGeneris

Quote from: jgphillips3 on March 01, 2018, 07:40:50 pm

Do we really want a guy who "doesn't like to hit" ANYWHERE on defense? I don't! That's the thing people don't take into consideration when pondering possible position changes.

If a guy is dead set on playing on one side of the ball or one position, is he going to buy in? I don't mean this in a negative way, but any player who can't or won't buy in to what the coaching staff wants from them needs to go elsewhere for the good of all concerned.

I mean, after a cooling off period to make sure to take all emotion out of the decision and follow their heart...

I see where Jack Kraus is not with the team. He couldn't likely play another position and wasn't playing with the multiple TE sets in the old offense, so he really had the deck stacked against him in this offense.

From what I understand, this staff values the TE, but not to the extreme of the old one. I doubt if we see many 2 TE sets in this offense, further reducing the chances for PT.

That was one of the first names that came to mind of players possibly transferring or leaving. Good luck to Kraus. If he wants to play, maybe he can find PT at Mo. State or a smaller school, if not good luck in whatever he does.

An Old OL coach who's team couldn't block a hat last season... If things aren't MUCH better this fall,  enjoy Hot Springs Sammy!

HighcountryHog

Quote from: Deep Shoat on March 01, 2018, 01:14:15 pm

What I also believe, and said it about two years ago.
no bumps, no fat chicks

booogaga

I read in a practice update that Pett was running with the WR I believe.
GO HOGS!

jgphillips3

Quote from: SooieGeneris on March 02, 2018, 12:25:39 am
Do we really want a guy who "doesn't like to hit" ANYWHERE on defense? I don't! That's the thing people don't take into consideration when pondering possible position changes.

I agree.  I'm just parroting what I remember some people from down there saying during his recruitment.  I'm not swearing to the veracity of it and sometimes a couple of years getting hit by big, fast players might make you want to lay the wood instead.

Snout team

If a guy is dead set on playing on one side of the ball or one position, is he going to buy in? I don't mean this in a negative way, but any player who can't or won't buy in to what the coaching staff wants from them needs to go elsewhere for the good of all concerned.

I mean, after a cooling off period to make sure to take all emotion out of the decision and follow their heart...

I see where Jack Kraus is not with the team. He couldn't likely play another position and wasn't playing with the multiple TE sets in the old offense, so he really had the deck stacked against him in this offense.

From what I understand, this staff values the TE, but not to the extreme of the old one. I doubt if we see many 2 TE sets in this offense, further reducing the chances for PT.

That was one of the first names that came to mind of players possibly transferring or leaving. Good luck to Kraus. If he wants to play, maybe he can find PT at Mo. State or a smaller school, if not good luck in whatever he does.

I don't think this staff values the TE any less than the old staff.  I do think they will use the TE differently.  After Hunter left the old staff basically turned the TE position into Ofensive lineman.  Under CCM I expect the TE to be much more of a receiving target than just a blocker.
The scout team (snout team) is an important part of the team although it gets little credit.

PorkRinds

Quote from: #hammerdown on March 05, 2018, 10:13:06 am
I don't think this staff values the TE any less than the old staff.  I do think they will use the TE differently.  After Hunter left the old staff basically turned the TE position into Ofensive lineman.  Under CCM I expect the TE to be much more of a receiving target than just a blocker.

I feel like our TE group got majorly screwed by the fact that the OL was so terrible. They couldn't catch passes because they had to block so much. And our RB were similar. If it wasn't a screen pass don't expect them to catch a pass because they had to block. Terrible situation for TEs.

GoHogzzGo

Quote from: PorkRinds on March 05, 2018, 10:17:34 am
I feel like our TE group got majorly screwed by the fact that the OL was so terrible. They couldn’t catch passes because they had to block so much. And our RB were similar. If it wasn’t a screen pass don’t expect them to catch a pass because they had to block. Terrible situation for TEs.

Completely agreed. There is still some real TE talent on the roster that was not being used effectively. Probably for the reason you just outlined.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: hawganatic on March 01, 2018, 03:14:54 pm

Definitely the type of thread a post like that should have been in all along...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Jim Harris

Was Jack Kraus the kid who, when he was being recruited, the gurus were thinking he might grow into a left tackle?
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Mike Irwin

Quote from: #hammerdown on March 05, 2018, 10:13:06 am
After the first workout Morris said the tight ends will have the second most difficult job to do behind the quarterbacks because of all the different things they are asked to do. He explained that the tight ends are used to disrupt opposing defenses by presenting multiple looks (with multiple options) via their pre snap alignments and movements.