Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

System Is Flawed

Started by N HOG, January 01, 2018, 03:42:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

N HOG

There is no way that UCF should not have been allowed to compete for a national championship.

And, oh yeah, Fire Gus!

jgphillips3

Go to 8 teams and they could have.  It's time.

RebelliousHog

The question is if UCF could have been 11-0 in the SEC just for an example. I think not.
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

N HOG

As Nolan would say, a blind man can see we need 8.

RebelliousHog

You can't go by one game that they had month to get ready for.
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

N HOG

Quote from: HenduHog on January 01, 2018, 03:44:09 pm
The question is if UCF could have been 11-0 in the SEC just for an example. I think not.

You mean like Bama and Georgia?

ricepig

Quote from: N HOG on January 01, 2018, 03:44:18 pm
As Nolan would say, a blind man can see we need 8.

Sir Nick said it would ruin the bowl system as we know it to expand, henceforth,  there shall be no expansion.

HiggiePiggy

And yet Wisconsin would have gotten in if they were undefeated.  They played 6 teams with losing records. The NCAA screws over the non P5 schools unless you are Notre Dame. It's a bs system. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

hogbud

alohawg

There will always be flaws. 8 seems to be the best number and the sooner they do it the better.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

Atlhogfan1

System is fine.

8 has a lot of logistics to work out.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

HamboFirstBlood

Quote from: hogbud on January 01, 2018, 03:48:24 pm
UCF is this years Boise

Get ready for Nebraska to be really really good again.

hogsmash12

No, the system is not fine.  UCF just proved what great coaching can do. 

UCF is perfectly capable of beating any of the 4 teams in the playoffs.

N HOG

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 01, 2018, 03:50:35 pm
System is fine.

Five conference champs, top non-Power 5 team and two at large.  Play first round at home of top 4 seeds.

Nothing complicated about that.

HogPharmer

Quote from: HenduHog on January 01, 2018, 03:44:38 pm

What about the other 12 games?
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: N HOG on January 01, 2018, 03:54:39 pm
Five conference champs, top non-Power 5 team and two at large.  Play first round at home of top 4 seeds.

Nothing complicated about that.

You are wanting events for 100000 people staged in places like Clemson SC Athens Ga and Tuscaloosa Al on short notice.  Hotels, security...  This isn't like FCS playoffs where it's like high school events.  Bowls are planned out for a year or more.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

N HOG

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 01, 2018, 03:58:51 pm
You are wanting events for 100000 people staged in places like Clemson SC Athens Ga and Tuscaloosa Al on short notice.  Hotels, security...  This isn't like FCS playoffs where it's like high school events.  Bowls are planned out for a year or more.

We're talking about a football game....not sending someone to Mars.

OS2 (SW) Razor Back

Quote from: HenduHog on January 01, 2018, 03:44:38 pm

So did auburn.
The Giants win the penent!!!!!The Giants win the penent!!!
Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the Earth.
I can't believe what I just saw!!!!
Down goes Frazier!!!! Down goes Frazier!!!
Do you believe in miricles?!?!?!

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: N HOG on January 01, 2018, 04:03:05 pm
We're talking about a football game....not sending someone to Mars.

NFL playoffs are held in major cities.  College football can and will figure out the logistics but it isn't as simple as you want it to be. 

Plus I'm good that Iowa putting up 55 on Oh St meant something.  Or AU blowing the lead to LSU. 

radar

From looking at the bowl games, there are several teams that might have gone 8-0 in the SEC..

N HOG

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 01, 2018, 04:06:19 pm
NFL playoffs are held in major cities.  College football can and will figure out the logistics but it isn't as simple as you want it to be. 

Plus I'm good that Iowa putting up 55 on Oh St meant something.  Or AU blowing the lead to LSU.

Does UCF going 13-0 mean anything?

Or the fact they beat the team that beat two of the mighty playoff teams?

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: N HOG on January 01, 2018, 04:28:06 pm

They had a great season.  Too bad for them they didn't play AU in the regular season and win. 

The Kig

No...it doesn't mean squat.  Nor should it.  What should happen is the better non-P5 teams should be given an opportunity to prove themselves against some Top 10 teams in some kickoff classic type games.  Their regular season is never going to have the strength of schedule to "earn" their way into a 4 team playoff.

Barn was brilliant at times and completely mediocre at others during the season. 
Poker Porker

N HOG

Quote from: The Kig on January 01, 2018, 04:39:56 pm
No...it doesn't mean squat.  Nor should it.  What should happen is the better non-P5 teams should be given an opportunity to prove themselves against some Top 10 teams in some kickoff classic type games.  Their regular season is never going to have the strength of schedule to "earn" their way into a 4 team playoff.

Barn was brilliant at times and completely mediocre at others during the season. 

I've got a great solution to all that.

Have a stinkin 8 team playoff.

N HOG

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 01, 2018, 04:06:19 pm

Heaven forbid if Green Bay ever makes the playoffs.

KlubhouseKonnected

You'd be having the same argument about some other team if it were 8 teams
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

From Tusk Till Dawn

I dont know the answer but I would like to see a change and move away from beauty pageants, eye tests, strength of schedule comparisons, margin of victory, etc.  I would prefer to see less meaningless bowl games and an expanded playoff.  Lots of grat ideas out there.

N HOG

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on January 01, 2018, 08:45:49 pm
You'd be having the same argument about some other team if it were 8 teams

Arguing 9 and 8 is quite a bit different from 4 and 5. And with my plan it's simple...win your conference and you're in.

The stupidest thing about this system is you've got 5 Power Conferences and 4 spots.

BearsBisonsBoars

Are we dealing in hypotheticals or in realities?

TeufelHog

Quote from: HamboFirstBlood on January 01, 2018, 03:50:52 pm
Get ready for Nebraska to be really really good again.
Not convinced of this because of the conference they play in.  Recruiting is the issue here.  If they were still in the Big 12 then I'd say yeah.  Since they are now in the Big 10 I just do not see where they pull the talent from.  IMHO, leaving the Big 12 was a huge mistake for Nebraska . . . from a recruiting perspective. 

IronHog

They should play Wisc for the not good enough schedule NC
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

N HOG

So, if this system is so great, why not have a committee do the same thing in basketball, pick four teams and do away with all the "on the court" nonsense?

DeltaBoy

Go to 8 teams and cut the regular season back to 10 games.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Grizzlyfan

Petition to get in the ACC.  Go 12-0.  They are in.  Guaranteed.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: jgphillips3 on January 01, 2018, 03:43:00 pm
Go to 8 teams and they could have.  It's time.

Here's the Top 8 from the final ranking:
1-Clemson
2-Oklahoma
3-Georgia
4-Alabama
5-Ohio State
6-Wisconsin
7-Auburn
8-USC

UCF finished 12th
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

hog of steele

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 01, 2018, 03:50:35 pm
System is fine.

Sure, 8 is more complex than 4. But its also fair. So lets get the nerds on it.

hog of steele

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on January 02, 2018, 09:47:51 am

Here's the Top 8 from the final ranking:
1-Clemson
2-Oklahoma
3-Georgia
4-Alabama
5-Ohio State
6-Wisconsin
7-Auburn
8-USC

UCF finished 12th

You don't just take the top 8 though. Part of the joy of 8 is that you can make it much less arbitrary.

5 P5 conference winners. Win a major conference and you are in. Nothing arbitrary.

1 Best of the non-P5. This is somewhat arbitrary but it keeps some skin in the game for non power 5 teams and it gives us an answer to the question that comes up just about every year.

2 Best two teams who aren't in. Lets face it CFB is weird. Sometimes the best teams don't win their conferences.

That makes an 8 team playoff where everybody P5 school controls their own destiny and the G5 schools have a path to victory.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hog of steele on January 02, 2018, 10:28:33 am
Sure, 8 is more complex than 4. But its also fair. So lets get the nerds on it.

It is fair enough with four. An arbitrary number will always have some people saying unfair. If four isn't enough then why not eight. Then if that happened some would say eight isn't enough we need sixteen. Etc.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

hog of steele

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 02, 2018, 11:40:01 am
IKt is fair enough quoth four. An arbitrary number will always have some people saying unfair. If four isn't enough then why not eight. Then if that happened some would say eight isn't enough we need sixteen. Etc.

8 for a lot of reasons.

8 takes out the biggest piece of arbitrary nonsense out of the equation. Which of the 5 conferences gets left out?

But there are other reasons. 8 fits nicely into the schedule we already have. Christmas games, new years games, championship game. pushes you into the next semester and the NFL playoffs.

Atlhogfan1

Every round you add, the harder you will make it for a program like ours to ever win a NC. 

rzrbackhogfan

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 02, 2018, 11:40:01 am
It is fair enough with four. An arbitrary number will always have some people saying unfair. If four isn't enough then why not eight. Then if that happened some would say eight isn't enough we need sixteen. Etc.

Your on the right track!!!  I got it!!!  Do away with the regular season and start the year in the playoffs you can have 26 teams then!!!  Or just give the NC to the team that wins the SEC.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: rzrbackhogfan on January 02, 2018, 02:26:37 pm
Your on the right track!!!  I got it!!!  Do away with the regular season and start the year in the playoffs you can have 26 teams then!!!  Or just give the NC to the team that wins the SEC.

Exactly. My gosh, we are 4 years into the Playoff and already it must be changed? Geez. Expand to 8 and #9 & #10 will be screaming to expand it again. Don't dilute it. It's fine the way it is. If anything, make changes to the criteria used by the selection committee.

texhog

Quote from: N HOG on January 01, 2018, 03:42:21 pm
There is no way that UCF should not have been allowed to compete for a national championship.

And, oh yeah, Fire Gus!
So out of the 4 playoff teams, what team should have been replaced by UCF?

phadedhawg

The only team UCF beat this year is Auburn and under Gus they rarely win bowl games.  I was excited to see them get the victory but they are no threat to the 4 teams in the playoff. 

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: phadedhawg on January 02, 2018, 04:26:54 pm
The only team UCF beat this year is Auburn and under Gus they rarely win bowl games.  I was excited to see them get the victory but they are no threat to the 4 teams in the playoff. 

They also had a Week 2 game with Georgia Tech cancelled.
FWIW...Their SOS was ranked #72 in the country in the Sagarin ratings.

N HOG

Quote from: hog of steele on January 02, 2018, 10:31:50 am
You don't just take the top 8 though. Part of the joy of 8 is that you can make it much less arbitrary.

5 P5 conference winners. Win a major conference and you are in. Nothing arbitrary.

1 Best of the non-P5. This is somewhat arbitrary but it keeps some skin in the game for non power 5 teams and it gives us an answer to the question that comes up just about every year.

2 Best two teams who aren't in. Lets face it CFB is weird. Sometimes the best teams don't win their conferences.

That makes an 8 team playoff where everybody P5 school controls their own destiny and the G5 schools have a path to victory.

This is EXACTLY how it should be.

It is so clearly correct that it takes a real stretch of weak thinking to not see it.

Every Power 5 team has a chance to qualify - win your conference.

Every non-Power 5 team has a chance to qualify- be the best.

Every great team that stumbled a bit can still have a chance to qualify - i.e. Bama this year which lost a game due to heavy injuries.

This is the ideal plan, which means it probably won't happen.

theFlyingHog

Let's just make the whole season a playoff. Lose a game and you're done

hog of steele

Quote from: sevenof400 on January 02, 2018, 08:58:03 pm
The quality of the OOC games would drop precipitously. 

4 is best.

4 is musical chairs. And that is stupid.