Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

You think Gus is going to give up this Recruiting class?

Started by BR, November 24, 2017, 08:09:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

BR

After two four-star commitments today, Auburn's 2018 recruiting class is now No. 5 in average star rating and No. 11 overall, according to http://Rivals.com . http://rvls.co/2zxrxnb

Recruiting 
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

BR

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: BR on November 24, 2017, 08:09:58 am
After two four-star commitments today, Auburn's 2018 recruiting class is now No. 5 in average star rating and No. 11 overall, according to http://Rivals.com . http://rvls.co/2zxrxnb

Have you looked at his previous classes in terms of overall rank?

2014-#6
2015-#8
2016-#9
2017-#9
Go Hogs Go!

WilsonHog

No one knows. Literally.

By that I mean no one can predict what is in a man's mind. I'll give you a couple of examples from my own life. I once took a pay cut of about $60,000 a year and sold a beautiful home, just to work at an internship for the University of Arkansas, making $400 a month. Made zero sense to any of my friends, but it was what I wanted to do. Even today, I live on five acres of land that I inherited from my father, in a house my father-in-law built. A member of my family has lived here for generations. In the country, nice and quiet, peaceful...and I'd move to Fayetteville (or anywhere else in NW Arkansas) on 24-hours' notice.

The point is, when you strip away all of the numbers, take away all of the metrics outsiders can use to guess at what someone will or won't do, we cannot get away from one thing: we are making a guess about what someone else will do based on our own experiences and way of looking at things. 

BR

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 24, 2017, 08:13:43 am
Have you looked at his previous classes in terms of overall rank?

2014-#6
2015-#8
2016-#9
2017-#9
I'm looking at the comparisons of this coming 2018 season....... Could give a Rat's Ass about the past... I am just looking as if I were going to choose a school as a coach.  Without putting Names of Schools beside it.... #11 with 12 - 4* coming in, or #61 with 3 -4* comin in...  It would not be a hard choice...   **** MAYBE**** he could flip a few of those .............     Now what is inside his Heart....... Only he knows for sure.    I still don't want the man as a coach, but I just think he is playing us..

BR

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on November 24, 2017, 08:28:03 am
No one knows. Literally.

By that I mean no one can predict what is in a man's mind. I'll give you a couple of examples from my own life. I once took a pay cut of about $60,000 a year and sold a beautiful home, just to work at an internship for the University of Arkansas, making $400 a month. Made zero sense to any of my friends, but it was what I wanted to do. Even today, I live on five acres of land that I inherited from my father, in a house my father-in-law built. A member of my family has lived here for generations. In the country, nice and quiet, peaceful...and I'd move to Fayetteville (or anywhere else in NW Arkansas) on 24-hours' notice.

The point is, when you strip away all of the numbers, take away all of the metrics outsiders can use to guess at what someone will or won't do, we cannot get away from one thing: we are making a guess about what someone else will do based on our own experiences and way of looking at things. 
Agreed

MuskogeeHogFan

November 24, 2017, 08:33:49 am #6 Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 09:19:29 am by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: BR on November 24, 2017, 08:30:16 am
  I'm looking at the comparisons of this coming 2018 season....... Could give a Rat's Ass about the past... I just looking as if I were going to choose a school as a coach.  Without putting Names of Schools beside it.... #11 with 12 - 4* coming in, or #61 with 3 -4* comin in...  It would not be a hard choice...   **** MAYBE**** he could flip a few of those

Your question was about whether he would leave and "give up this class". My response was to cite what he has had in the past which were higher ranked classes. So from your "rat's ass" perspective, it is relevant.

Might he flip some of those commits if he were hired at Arkansas? I'm sure he would try at the very least.
Go Hogs Go!

hogfanmd

On paper Gus should stay at Auburn
Just depends what he and his family feel is right for them

farmhawg

From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

hogfanmd

I believe the job is Gus's to turn down
But that does not mean he is leaving Auburn

WilsonHog

Quote from: hogfanmd on November 24, 2017, 08:41:17 am

You nailed it in much fewer words than I did.

"It just depends on what he and his family feel is right for them."

Smashmouth2004

There are a lot of "If's" in this decision. If he really is tired of talk of firing him after 8-9 wins then he could come. If he loses to Bama Saturday he could come. If he is just playing us to get even more money and a longer contract then we move on to Norvell or hopefully Kiffin.

Pork Twain

It literally all depends on something no one on here knows, what is in his heart and what his personal goals are.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

The NewEra

Some say this is Gus' dream job.  As a matter of fact, that's what most Gus supporters have been trying to sell us on.  Arkansas will be without a coach in a very short time and the head coaching position will be open.

We will soon find out if Arkansas is truly Gus' dream job.  I'm sure he knows this will likely be his last / best opportunity to make the move if he wants to coach the Razorbacks.  We shall see.  If he takes the job then I'll embrace him as I would any new coach.  If he doesn't end up being our coach this search I hope it will put an end to the Gus to Arkansas talk forever.

HF#1

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

WilsonHog

Quote from: The NewEra on November 24, 2017, 09:28:29 am
Some say this is Gus' dream job.  As a matter of fact, that's what most Gus supporters have been trying to sell us on.  Arkansas will be without a coach in a very short time and the head coaching position will be open.

We will soon find out if Arkansas is truly Gus' dream job.  I'm sure he knows this will likely be his last / best opportunity to make the move if he wants to coach the Razorbacks.  We shall see.  If he takes the job then I'll embrace him as I would any new coach.  If he doesn't end up being our coach this search I hope it will put an end to the Gus to Arkansas talk forever.

That's my view as well. Even the most ardent Malzahn supporters will have little to complain about if we offer the job to him with a significant pay increase and he says no.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Pork Twain on November 24, 2017, 09:18:40 am
It literally all depends on something no one on here knows, what is in his heart and what his personal goals are.

And, Just how strong his desire to come home is or isn't... We will all find out.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

IronHog

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on November 24, 2017, 08:28:03 am
No one knows. Literally.

See I'm the complete opposite

No telling what I could make in NWA but I'll stay down here with the real folk.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

riccoar

Quote from: hogfanmd on November 24, 2017, 08:41:17 am

Bingo. People keep quoting what he's got and forgetting the coach before him was schit canned 2 years removed from the NC. Winning is not enough for Auburn fans.

IronHog

Recruiting 

How much better is the 11 class vs say the 25 class?

Subjective rankings are subjective.

Piggie

Quote from: IronHog on November 24, 2017, 10:02:32 am

I agree, IronHog. I do think rankings are important, but I would speculate that 1-10 is a first tier, and each ten afterward would represent another tier. This is a total guess, but I bet I'm not far off.  That would be an interesting study to make, but I'm too lazy to do it, lol.
It's a great day to be a Bryant Hornet!

BR

Auburn #11 with 12 - 4* and 5- 3* coming in, #25 NC State with 2-4* and  17-3*

mj4president

Recruiting 

He'll bring half of them here.
"Let's do this tonight! Nothing like a legendary night to remember. I'll tell all my grand pups one day about the 3 am walk off home run by Jared Gates." MJ4President just hours before it happened.

Piggie

IronHog

WilsonHog

Quote from: IronHog on November 24, 2017, 09:55:05 am

See I'm the complete opposite

No telling what I could make in NWA but I'll stay down here with the real folk.

Has nothing whatsoever to do with income. Mine is an attachment to the University of Arkansas. I graduated from there, and I would have been happy to spend my entire professional career on that campus. Can't explain it; I just feel better when I'm in NWA. More at peace. As it is, my wife and I spend maybe 8-12 weekends a year up there.

HF#1

I draw the comparison to Mike Anderson. He left a 30 win team at Mizzou to come home. It's not crazy to think Gus could do the same.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Piggie

Quote from: HF#1 on November 24, 2017, 11:00:03 am
I draw the comparison to Mike Anderson. He left a 30 win team at Mizzou to come home. It's not crazy to think Gus could do the same.

Good point!

IronHog

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on November 24, 2017, 10:58:23 am
Has nothing whatsoever to do with income. Mine is an attachment to the University of Arkansas. I graduated from there, and I would have been happy to spend my entire professional career on that campus.

It's an OK campus I guess.

Lots of white people

hogfanmd

It's not crazy.  But not probable
I truly believe he has been offered.
If he accepts great.  If he doesn't the powers that be tried and can move on to B, C, D, etc.

HF#1

Quote from: hogfanmd on November 24, 2017, 11:09:11 am

It's not crazy.  But not probable
I truly believe he has been offered.
If he accepts great.  If he doesn't the powers that be tried and can move on to B, C, D, etc.

I think it's 50/50... Then again, could be Sexton putting stuff out there about Gus wanting out at Auburn. However, I also believe he has an offer and the job is his if he wants it.

hogfanmd

Gus would be crazy not to show interest.  He wins either way.  He stays at auburn and rolls this attention and a great season into more money and better contract.  If he comes to Arkansas he is given the keys to the hog nation and can name his price. 

I figure first option is more likely but who knows. 

LumberBacks

Quote from: mj4president on November 24, 2017, 10:31:05 am
He'll bring half of them here.
His recruits are from AL (7), FL (3), GA (6), MS (1).  Most are with a 3 hour drive from Auburn, which would put them 10+ hours from Fayetteville.  Gus might be able to get one or two that play a skill position to flip, but don't kid yourself with "half of them".  That ain't happening.

RockyMtnHog

Most kids commit to a coach not to the school.  When the coach moves the kids flip and go with the coach.  It works both ways, we lose players and gain players.
"On the Eighth Day, God created the Razorbacks!"

duckman

One aspect that everyone just blows right by is the effect Gus would have on in state recruiting and development of in state programs.  I believe he could help the state of football on a high school level in Arkansas.

IronHog

Quote from: duckman on November 24, 2017, 12:02:44 pm
One aspect that everyone just blows right by is the effect Gus would have on in state recruiting and development of in state programs.  I believe he could help the state of football on a high school level in Arkansas.

He'd do better than anyone in a long time recruiting in state.

redneckfriend

No comparison. Mike coached here in the glory days- he is close to Nolan Richardson and he knew that he could heal the divisions in the program caused by Nolan's firing. I'm sure Nolan was all in to bring him back here to his coaching home. It made all the sense in the world. He wasn't in a job that offered a significantly better chance of winning big.

Gus coached high school in Arkansas then came as an unwanted throw in to get a 5* quarterback and was never respected by the head coach- in fact probably overtly disrespected. There are no fond memories of national championships here - that would be Auburn. Perhaps he wants to come to Arkansas for sentimental reasons that have nothing to do with football, perhaps his wife wants to come here and bask in all the warmth Razorback fans seem to have for her. Whatever it is not analogous to Mike Anderson. And I for one don't believe he would take a job where the ceiling, because of recruiting, is probably 8-9 wins a season unless it is clear he will be fired at Auburn and he doesn't see better alternatives.

Al Boarland

Significantly.

IronHog

RockyMtnHog

Quote from: duckman on November 24, 2017, 12:02:44 pm

There was a time when Arkansas HS players went to Arkansas.  A fence was built around the state.  Very few went elsewhere that qualified.  Gus knows the HS coaches in Arkansas probably better than anyone.  He will recruit Arkansas, Texas, Louisiana and the rest of the SEC region hard.  The majority of the players on his roster are Alabama, Georgia and Florida grown which are close to Auburn.
"On the Eighth Day, God created the Razorbacks!"