Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Winning more important than ever. ESPN loses 480,000...

Started by hawgon, October 31, 2017, 12:48:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Redhogs

Quote from: ballz2thewall on October 31, 2017, 02:15:47 pm
yeah......we can't have none-o-that liberal agenda, man. that'd be bad for the men.
People, men and women, watch sports to get away from that crap...that's why they are leaving in droves.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: hehawg on October 31, 2017, 02:20:07 pm
  Clueless...

As I posted above, I just watch the games on ESPN I might catch a 30 for 30 on occasion.  I literally don't know what people are referring to.  I am assuming that there must be some show that has a liberal slant?  Hence the question, Like what?

LRRandy

Quote from: factchecker on October 31, 2017, 01:45:16 pm
This reminds me of the people pissed when we win.

I'm sorry that the athletic program isn't falling apart like you wish.

Keep fantasizing about these doomsday scenarios where the Razorbacks lose money.

Sorry for your loss.
good thing they don't lose money. They got football game losing thing down pat.
This is fun, isn't it.

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: Redhogs on October 31, 2017, 02:21:11 pm
People, men and women, watch sports to get away from that crap...that's why they are leaving in droves.

Are you saying that people are cancelling their cable because ESPN is too left leaning?  You can't cancel ESPN it's not a stand alone package.  I guess you can take a lower tiered cable package with out the ESPN bundle.  Do you think people are so mad that ESPN is so left leaning that they are changing their subscription package in droves and no longer watching college football and basketball other than what is on CBS and FOX?

rhames

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on October 31, 2017, 02:29:25 pm
Are you saying that people are cancelling their cable because ESPN is too left leaning?  You can't cancel ESPN it's not a stand alone package.  I guess you can take a lower tiered cable package with out the ESPN bundle.  Do you think people are so mad that ESPN is so left leaning that they are changing their subscription package in droves and no longer watching college football and basketball other than what is on CBS and FOX?

Get out of here with those facts.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on October 31, 2017, 02:04:35 pm
This isn't accurate. Long has benefited from the SEC money that is true enough.  He got here in 2008 and since 2008 contributions went up from 12 million to 25 million in 2016, so he's roughly doubled contributions. Ticket sales are up 10 million in 2016 from 2008 as well. So he's managed to increase revenue from ticket sales as well during a time when the main revenue generating programs are not exactly setting the world on fire. He increased revenue by more than 30 million between 2008 and 2015 when the SEC network money kicked in and at that point revenue jumped from 96 to 114 million.  You may not like Jeff Long but he has brought a ton of money into the program apart from the money that we are getting from the SEC network.  We do a lot of things wrong at Arkansas, and there are a lot of things I wish we did better, but financially we do great, and like it or not Jeff long is a big part of the reason for that.

If your point is that Long is a better businessman than he is a sportsman I agree.  Unquestionably he has maintained a substantial cash flow while delivering progressively less entertainment value.  If you look at the thing as a business I suppose that's a measure if success.

I do question if there is enough of a market in morbib curiousity to keep fans tuned in each week to see what goofy thing their teams and coaches will do this week.  Comic relief, that's probably what ESPN execs first think of when you ask them what entertainment value there is in Arkansas being a part of SEC football.

Con el Cerdos

Quote from: ricepig on October 31, 2017, 12:57:57 pm
The SEC will just do as those FCS  schools will when they quit getting a cupcake check, cut back.

But Rice, if the University of Arkansas, Fayetteville loses a substantial amount of SEC income, and I believe it eventually will, how does it pay it's bond debt and fund it's non income producing sports programs?

What are the cut backs available to the AD to balance the books?

JL is creating debt along with all the cute new things he's bringing online.  And it makes no difference if the debt level at Arkansas is less than it's SEC brethren.  Still has to be paid.

And if it comes to that, how does the AD off set the possible loss of ticket revenue and donations if the football program continues to tank.  I've been around long enough to know Razorback fans can be fickle when they lose faith in the program.  Likely to start next year if BB or a new coach doesn't give us some hope that things are turning around.

Take bankruptcy and renegotiate debt repayment?  Cut back on the number of non income producing programs?  Cut coaches and the AD's salaries?  Cut staff?  None of that is good.

Cyclical behavior is a part of our local, state, national, and world economy.  For the last 12 to 15 years the income earning producing NCAA sports have taken a meteoric rise without even a hitch.  Much less a lull or outright crash.  Primarily due to ESPN and it's marketing power.

Coaches salaries and facilities for all NCAA sports have experienced almost unabated growth. 

My question I don't have even a clue to an answer?  When will it turn and how sever will the turn be.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

ricepig

Quote from: 247Hog on October 31, 2017, 02:01:02 pm
These are numbers for 2014?

Correct, just think how much other schools have increased their debt to build facilities since then......

ricepig

Quote from: Con el Cerdos on October 31, 2017, 02:45:44 pm
But Rice, if the University of Arkansas, Fayetteville loses a substantial amount of SEC income, and I believe it eventually will, how does it pay it's bond debt and fund it's non income producing sports programs?

What are the cut backs available to the AD to balance the books?

JL is creating debt along with all the cute new things he's bringing online.  And it makes no difference if the debt level at Arkansas is less than it's SEC brethren.  Still has to be paid.

And if it comes to that, how does the AD off set the possible loss of ticket revenue and donations if the football program continues to tank.  I've been around long enough to know Razorback fans can be fickle when they lose faith in the program.  Likely to start next year if BB or a new coach doesn't give us some hope that things are turning around.

Take bankruptcy and renegotiate debt repayment?  Cut back on the number of non income producing programs?  Cut coaches and the AD's salaries?  Cut staff?  None of that is good.

Cyclical behavior is a part of our local, state, national, and world economy.  For the last 12 to 15 years the income earning producing NCAA sports have taken a meteoric rise without even a hitch.  Much less a lull or outright crash.  Primarily due to ESPN and it's marketing power.

Coaches salaries and facilities for all NCAA sports have experienced almost unabated growth. 

My question I don't have even a clue to an answer?  When will it turn and how sever will the turn be.

"If"......it's something we have no idea on, correct? We don't know if we will have a substantial cutback or not, we don't know if our revenues will have increased 30% by then. We'll make the because adjustments as any other business does, I can't predict what will happen after the current TV contract ends in 2028, can you?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2013/05/31/deal-between-espn-and-sec-conference-likely-the-richest-ever/#2d5f021f276a

I know our bond payments will drop from $12m to $9m in 2029, so hopefully we are still making some money, I bet we will be.

http://media.arkansasonline.com/news/documents/2016/11/01/Download_of_Stadium_Expansion_bond_document.pdf

Con el Cerdos

Quote from: ricepig on October 31, 2017, 03:15:19 pm

"If"......it's something we have no idea on, correct? We don't know if we will have a substantial cutback or not, we don't know if our revenues will have increased 30% by then. We'll make the because adjustments as any other business does, I can't predict what will happen after the current TV contract ends in 2028, can you?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2013/05/31/deal-between-espn-and-sec-conference-likely-the-richest-ever/#2d5f021f276a

I know our bond payments will drop from $12m to $9m in 2029, so hopefully we are still making some money, I bet we will be.

http://media.arkansasonline.com/news/documents/2016/11/01/Download_of_Stadium_Expansion_bond_document.pdf

I realize the apparent number of "what ifs" associated within my post.  And there are a few more included in this post.  The thing that sort of ties them together is the apparent unsustainable revenue growth of the last decade or more.  Another "what if" right.  But what ESPN is experiencing and the uncertainty of future broadcast media (what it will be, what will it cost, how is it delivered, etc., etc.) lends credence, at least for me, that the "cash cow" for NCAA football may disappear. 

The down sizing of staff has me convinced that ESPN's operating plan may have changed more than what they have shown; that bigger may not be better.  That it can remain viable without NCAA football broadcast rights.

I've been thinking that major changes were coming for years because of economic cycles.  In a free market economy that's a given.  NCAA football is way overdue for a backslide. 

Should ESPN drop the SEC contract then it's every university making the best deal they can.  If that happens, it will be TV stations in the state of Arkansas for the Razorbacks, IMO.  At no where near $40 Mil.

NFL football is the primary reason that NCAA football may disappear from ESPN, IMO.  And it makes sense if you think about it.  They have been downsizing staff for a while now cutting expenses.  Only 32 teams and less than 16 games each weekend to broadcast versus 35 to 40 (estimate) college games.

Lots of money goes into the talent and production of that many college games.  Why not just drop it, and concentrate on the NFL.  I think ESPN will do that when the current broadcast contracts with the various conferences expire.   

We may yet, get college sports back to amateur status.

gchamblee

Quote from: hawgon on October 31, 2017, 01:07:02 pm
Obviously, the next go around will involve live streaming.  The best possible result would be if something like Netflix basically steps into the place of ESPN and pays conferences big money for the right to live stream their games.  Things might not change too much then. 

But, of course, the problem with that is that a school like Alabama could probably make more streaming its own games than as part of a conference package.  You could argue the pros and cons of it all, but streaming of games and certain select content would be a lot simpler and less costly than the Longhorn Network debacle.  At some point, schools are going to have to be good enough to be viable on their own streaming games or good enough so that they can argue that they are not a mere hanger on and deserve to be part of the package.

Amazon could venture into the sports market and they have the infrastructure to stream

gchamblee

Quote from: hawgon on October 31, 2017, 01:16:24 pm
Exactly, and that means ESPN's and everyone else's business model is failing.

I'm a cord cutter and ESPN still gets a sub from me, but I bet it is less than through cable packages.

ricepig

Quote from: Con el Cerdos on October 31, 2017, 05:41:21 pm
I realize the apparent number of "what ifs" associated within my post.  And there are a few more included in this post.  The thing that sort of ties them together is the apparent unsustainable revenue growth of the last decade or more.  Another "what if" right.  But what ESPN is experiencing and the uncertainty of future broadcast media (what it will be, what will it cost, how is it delivered, etc., etc.) lends credence, at least for me, that the "cash cow" for NCAA football may disappear. 

The down sizing of staff has me convinced that ESPN's operating plan may have changed more than what they have shown; that bigger may not be better.  That it can remain viable without NCAA football broadcast rights.

I've been thinking that major changes were coming for years because of economic cycles.  In a free market economy that's a given.  NCAA football is way overdue for a backslide. 

Should ESPN drop the SEC contract then it's every university making the best deal they can.  If that happens, it will be TV stations in the state of Arkansas for the Razorbacks, IMO.  At no where near $40 Mil.

NFL football is the primary reason that NCAA football may disappear from ESPN, IMO.  And it makes sense if you think about it.  They have been downsizing staff for a while now cutting expenses.  Only 32 teams and less than 16 games each weekend to broadcast versus 35 to 40 (estimate) college games.

Lots of money goes into the talent and production of that many college games.  Why not just drop it, and concentrate on the NFL.  I think ESPN will do that when the current broadcast contracts with the various conferences expire.   

We may yet, get college sports back to amateur status.

Actually, ESPN is kicking the can around on dropping the NFL contract and seeing if they can still charge the same monthly rates.

https://thehornnews.com/espn-considers-dropping-nfl-ratings-disaster/

wildhogman

Quote from: hawgon on October 31, 2017, 01:30:41 pm
Not anymore we don't.  We just took on bonds for a stadium expansion. 
I cant believe I have to say this. but two words, "Jerry Jones.  There is a lot of money in NWA that are actually alumni and active with their alma mater.  You think They gonna let it all go down the toilet bowl without a good fight.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: hawgon on October 31, 2017, 12:53:47 pm
Fine, they completely made up the story about ESPN losing 480,000 subscribers because they are white racist NAZIs.  Happy now?

You should take what the nazi's tell you with a grain of salt.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.