Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cowherd says SEC should not get 2 playoff teams

Started by NuttinItUp, October 30, 2017, 01:06:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

GoHogs1091

Here is all that needs to be known about the initial top 4 playoff ranking. 

Number of Wins Against Teams Who Have a Winning Record

Georgia   4 wins against teams who have a winning record

Alabama   3 wins against teams who have a winning record

Notre Dame   4 wins against teams who have a winning record

Clemson   6 wins against teams who have a winning record

Obvious above who has the strongest Resume, and who has played against the best schedule.

HotlantaHog

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on November 01, 2017, 03:05:08 pm
Here is all that needs to be known about the initial top 4 playoff ranking. 

Number of Wins Against Teams Who Have a Winning Record

Georgia   4 wins against teams who have a winning record

Alabama   3 wins against teams who have a winning record

Notre Dame   4 wins against teams who have a winning record

Clemson   6 wins against teams who have a winning record

Obvious above who has the strongest Resume, and who has played against the best schedule.

Alabama still has some good teams to play including Auburn. LSU, Mississippi State and presumably Georgia. The main thing going for them right now is they are Alabama -- if this were another team with the resume, they would be ranked considerably lower.

If Alabama stumbles and or Georgia beats them,  there is a good case to push them out of the top four.

Kneph13

There is no Political Correctness in war

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Kneph13 on November 01, 2017, 06:20:01 pm
Georgia is going to whup Bama's  butt!

I just don't think Georgia has a good enough of a passing offense that will be needed against Saban's NFL farm club defense.

Saban will probably shut-down or significantly reduce Georgia's rushing offense.

Pigsknuckles

Sounds like a Cowherd version of playoff affirmative action.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

hotdog hog

Quote from: rude1 on October 30, 2017, 01:10:22 pm
Makes no sense, if the objective is to get the best four teams, then and both those teams prove they are two of the best when they meet, then being in the same conference shouldn't matter. Otherwise just change the rules and say only conference champions are eligible and let's not pretend they want the best four.
1-Many made this argue when Ohio State and Michigan played against each other then Florida tore the winner a new one.
With only 4 slots, comference championships most def should be an elimination round.
2- How fair was it LSU had to play Bama again when they already beat them. So let's say Bama beat GA by a fg, then get beat by them in the playoff. 1st game meant nothing

Hoggish1

Quote from: rude1 on October 30, 2017, 01:10:22 pm
Makes no sense, if the objective is to get the best four teams, then and both those teams prove they are two of the best when they meet, then being in the same conference shouldn't matter.

If ND keeps winning, what claim would UGA have to a spot if Bama beats them?  Even a close game in Atlanta should knock them out if ND ends up with one loss after the smoke clears at the end of the season.

One mitigating factor might be if UGA loses by a late FG or one point in a nip and tuck slugfest since they will have played a 13th game and ND would not have.

All things being equal, the committee would probably not want two teams from the same conference in the playoffs, for many obvious reasons not the least of which would be fan interest and revenue from teams representing four different regions of the country and four different conferences.

Dominicanhog

HF#1

It's only going to happen if Pac12 and Big12 are left out, Georgia plays Alabama close in SECCG, and there are a bunch of one loss teams.

It's stacking up pretty nicely for the SEC to get 2 in this year.

Oh and WHAT IF NC State beats Clemson, runs the table and wins the ACC title game. Guess what, it's a BIG10 vs SEC playoff.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Cotton

Quote from: NuttinItUp on October 30, 2017, 01:06:05 pm
Even if Georgia and Bama are undefeated and ranked #1 & #2 when they meet in the SEC Championship game, Colin thinks the loser should be out of the playoff picture.

https://www.seccountry.com/sec/colin-cowherd-college-football-playoff-secs-not-good-enough-year-two-teams
He had no problem with Ohio State going last year without even playing in the Big Ten CG.  ???
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

PorkSoda

on one hand I'm partial to the SEC and think they should get 2 teams in the PO's every year.  on the other hand, I think that a team should have to win their conference to make the play offs.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: PorkSoda on November 02, 2017, 06:27:58 pm
on one hand I'm partial to the SEC and think they should get 2 teams in the PO's every year.  on the other hand, I think that a team should have to win their conference to make the play offs.

Well obviously that didn't matter last year with Ohio State getting in.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

PorkSoda

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on November 02, 2017, 06:34:25 pm
Well obviously that didn't matter last year with Ohio State getting in.
well, when they get around to naming me to the playoff selection committee, I'll make sure they institute that guideline.
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: PorkSoda on November 02, 2017, 06:43:41 pm
well, when they get around to naming me to the playoff selection committee, I'll make sure they institute that guideline.

They need to just increase it and add in at large bids. Would like 16. That way you can get an undefeated non P5 team into it. 

PorkSoda

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on November 02, 2017, 07:48:23 pm
They need to just increase it and add in at large bids. Would like 16. That way you can get an undefeated non P5 team into it. 
and the regular season matters less and less.

I'm fine with where it is at. 8 max so they could fit each conference champ and a couple at large bids.  they would have to expand it to like 128 teams if arkansas was going to get in anyway. 

GoHogs1091

Quote from: HotlantaHog on November 01, 2017, 06:15:02 pm
Alabama still has some good teams to play including Auburn. LSU, Mississippi State and presumably Georgia. The main thing going for them right now is they are Alabama -- if this were another team with the resume, they would be ranked considerably lower.

If Alabama stumbles and or Georgia beats them,  there is a good case to push them out of the top four.

If Alabama wins all of those, that will give Alabama a total 7 wins against teams who have a winning record.

Clemson still possibly has 4 games left against teams who have a winning record (North Carolina State, The Citadel, South Carolina, and Miami (FL)).  I used the word possibly in case Clemson doesn't make it to the ACC Conference Championship game against Miami (FL).

If Clemson wins against those 4 teams, that will give Clemson a total of 10 wins against teams who have a winning record.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: PorkSoda on November 02, 2017, 07:56:20 pm
and the regular season matters less and less.

I'm fine with where it is at. 8 max so they could fit each conference champ and a couple at large bids.  they would have to expand it to like 128 teams if arkansas was going to get in anyway. 

It matters more.  Right now it matters a lot less.  There is about 10 teams at the beginning of the season that really have a chance to win it all.  All the rest are just there to collect their participation trophy bowl at the end of the season. 

HiggiePiggy

Right now arkansas has 0 chance of ever getting into a playoff.  We would have an actual chance if it were a 16 team playoff.  I would love to know that there is about 50 teams at the beginning of the season actually have a chance.  It's why march madness in college basketball is loved so much. 

GoHogs1091

Here is a link to a conversation with Cowherd and Joel Klatt about Alabama's schedule.  The transcript of the conversation is below the video area in the link.  A couple of aspects from the transcript.

Cowherd:  "Alabama is the only team in the top 10 with nine Power 5 games, two Group of 5 teams, and an FCS. There's five teams in the top 10 that have an FCS opponent, but they've got 10 Power 5 games scheduled. It's the easiest schedule makeup. They actively schedule the easiest of anybody in the country, and get away with it."

Joel Klatt:  "Never on the road. Did you also know that Alabama has played the fewest number of non-conference true road games in the country since 2007?"

https://www.foxsports.com/watch/the-herd-with-colin-cowherd/video/1086332483756

Youngsta71701

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on November 01, 2017, 06:26:22 pm
I just don't think Georgia has a good enough of a passing offense that will be needed against Saban's NFL farm club defense.

Saban will probably shut-down or significantly reduce Georgia's rushing offense.
He will load the box and force the freshmen to try to beat em. Which is what any smart coach would do.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Big Boi

Quote from: Wildhog on October 30, 2017, 01:13:23 pm
SEC has kinda sucked the last couple of years.
I agree and think coaching has a lot to do with it. Outside of Saban not many people worry about schematic advantages SEC coaches possess.