Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wow i have even more respect for Richt now

Started by 311Hog, December 02, 2015, 01:27:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

311Hog

hawginbigd1

Aporkalypse Now

The Georgia athletic department is a disgrace for firing Richt. That's just the bottom line

sickboy

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on December 02, 2015, 01:28:38 pm
hearing this is an NCAA violation.

Where'd you hear that? The article in the link where it says he committed minor NCAA violations and the case closed Nov 30? :)

Smokehouse

There's also this:

[tweet]671348697624629248[/tweet]
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

smb

It's just amazing to me that a coach finishes 9-3 and gets fired.
GeorgiaHOG

LAGNAF

Quote from: sickboy on December 02, 2015, 01:35:05 pm
Where'd you hear that? The article in the link where it says he committed minor NCAA violations and the case closed Nov 30? :)

I heard that saying "I'm hearing it" sounds much more informed than acknowledging I just read it in an article and regurgitated it.

Danny J

Quote from: smb on December 02, 2015, 02:02:50 pm
That is what Saban said....he said he was worried what would happen to him at Bama if that happened going forward. He was very emotional when he said it. That was a clear tell to me....if he wins it all he will retire and why not...that would be 5 national titles at 2 different schools. He would go out on top and be thought of as a top 5 coach of all time. Perfect time to retire. That is why I am pulling for Bama to win it all the same way I was pulling for UK to win it all in basketball last year. I want Cal gone and I want Saban gone. I also want Mullen gone too....

Aporkalypse Now

Quote from: Danny J on December 02, 2015, 02:07:40 pm
That is what Saban said....he said he was worried what would happen to him at Bama if that happened going forward. He was very emotional when he said it. That was a clear tell to me....if he wins it all he will retire and why not...that would be 5 national titles at 2 different schools. He would go out on top and be thought of as a top 5 coach of all time. Perfect time to retire. That is why I am pulling for Bama to win it all the same way I was pulling for UK to win it all in basketball last year. I want Cal gone and I want Saban gone. I also want Mullen gone too....

I doubt Saban's job is in danger from a 9 win season, he was just defending the profession.

Someone just said I was crazy in another thread because I said that Long will be pressured to fire Bielema if he starts out 1-2 next season. No, I'm not crazy, the pressure is that intense.

lahawg1

2011 article but the principle is still the same and worth admiration

ATLHog

Quote from: Danny J on December 02, 2015, 02:07:40 pm
Richt was my favorite coach and I pulled for the Dawgs (except against the Hogs) largely because of him. I totally agree about Saban riding off into the sunset if Bama wins it all this year. Just watching his pressers you can tell he's had about enough-

bigdaddyhawg

I'm a big fan of Marc Richt as a person, but not so much as a HC.

IMO Georgia needed to let Marc go and try something else, regardless of his records.  9-3 in the SECE is equivalent to 7-5 in the SECW, and that is well below of the standards UGa should have for it's football program.

Having said that, KIRBY SMART??????  AYFSM??????

Their AD needs to be run off for that IMO.  Pitiful hire.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

RyeHogFan

Quote from: Aporkalypse Now on December 02, 2015, 02:16:34 pm
I doubt Saban's job is in danger from a 9 win season, he was just defending the profession.

Someone just said I was crazy in another thread because I said that Long will be pressured to fire Bielema if he starts out 1-2 next season. No, I'm not crazy, the pressure is that intense.

It would definitely be disappointing to lose to Louisiana Tech or Texas State. They are decent teams but either or those would be a worse loss than Toledo though I doubt we'll be ranked in the preseason like we were this year.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: ATLHog on December 02, 2015, 02:23:17 pm
Richt was my favorite coach and I pulled for the Dawgs (except against the Hogs) largely because of him. I totally agree about Saban riding off into the sunset if Bama wins it all this year. Just watching his pressers you can tell he's had about enough-
I realize that ultimately coaches are paid to perform and win. However, lost in all that far too often is the fact a HC should also be expected to develop his players as responsible young men who are well prepared to succeed in life after football. IMO he's also charged with trying to set a good example for his players in the way he conducts his own personal life. Nothing I've ever heard would make me doubt in those latter two respects Richt has ever done anything but meet these expectations.

As far as when Saban leaves I have no clue (nor does anyone else I suspect). However, whoever eventually succeeds ole Nick is NOT going to be in a enviable position. The main reason is simple: N.S. has set such a high standard for achievement that the naturally "entitled" 'Bama fan will feel that anything less than a yearly SEC title, much less a  NC, will be totally and completely unacceptable and inexcusable. Anyone remember that it took almost FOREVER once Bear Bryant retired for 'Bama to finally get back to its former success and glory days? Even the relatively good records (with at least NC I believe) under Gene Stallings were never quite good enough. Nope, the "feeding the monster" machine that Saban has built and maintained will eventually bite the Tide faithful in the rear. In the meantime they better enjoy their great records while they last 'cause eventually even their day in the sun will have its sunset.

DeltaBoy

He will be coaching next fall some where he too good not to unless he wants to get on TV as a color man etc.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Grizzlyfan

That's a popular thing to say, but if you peel things away it's not as good as it sounds.  Georgia won 5 conference games.  OK that's not terrible.  But 4 of those wins were against teams that had 6 combined conference wins among them.  Mark Richt's underachievement is a punchline every football season.  That didn't happen by accident.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: LAGNAF on December 02, 2015, 02:03:19 pm
I heard that saying "I'm hearing it" sounds much more informed than acknowledging I just read it in an article and regurgitated it.
Quote from: sickboy on December 02, 2015, 01:35:05 pm
It was a drive by as i was doing something else, i didn't read the article, I just heard a snippet on the radio, so i said I am hearing it is a violation.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: 311Hog on December 02, 2015, 01:27:06 pm
After reading this.

http://espn.go.com/colleges/georgia/football/story/_/id/7372776

Helped employees and former coaches out from his own pocket.

From 2011 and you just now know about it?
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

longpig

Quote from: Aporkalypse Now on December 02, 2015, 01:30:35 pm
The Georgia athletic department is a disgrace for firing Richt. That's just the bottom line

Georgia has been patient with Richt the last three or four seasons, actually.
Don't be scared, be smart.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: longpig on December 02, 2015, 03:59:18 pm
Georgia has been patient with Richt the last three or four seasons, actually.

I agree.  A knee jerk AD would've fired MR a long time ago, I think.

But, he's hiring Kirby Smart, so all his patience is going to be needed now!!
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

OKC

I don't know...Would you rather have a coach that keeps your team relevant and nationally respected year in and year out, or a coach that may take you to a championship one year followed by 1-2 years of struggling to make a bowl? He wasn't at Saban's level, probably a notch or two below Stoops, but he kept Georgia in the conversation basically every year. I think he made it to a bowl game every year he coached at Georgia...Wish we could say that.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: OKC on December 02, 2015, 04:21:59 pm
I don't know...Would you rather have a coach that keeps your team relevant and nationally respected year in and year out, or a coach that may take you to a championship one year followed by 1-2 years of struggling to make a bowl? He wasn't at Saban's level, probably a notch or two below Stoops, but he kept Georgia in the conversation basically every year. I think he made it to a bowl game every year he coached at Georgia...Wish we could say that.

When/If we ever get to the level Richt had Georgia, then I promise you we'll be dissatisfied with the lack of championships, just like Georgia's fan base.

But, as someone has already stated, looking strictly at the records does NOT tell the real story.

I look at Georgia's talent, across the team, and all I can think is "man, I would LOVE for CBB to have that much talent!!".  We'd win championships with that kind of talent, and we play in the SECW, not the SECE where Richt has been struggling.

longpig

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on December 02, 2015, 04:16:11 pm
I agree.  A knee jerk AD would've fired MR a long time ago, I think.

But, he's hiring Kirby Smart, so all his patience is going to be needed now!!

I don't get why they felt the need to grab him when any number of accomplished HCs would die for that job.
Don't be scared, be smart.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: longpig on December 02, 2015, 04:56:29 pm
I don't get why they felt the need to grab him when any number of accomplished HCs would die for that job.
My gut tells me they're hoping to "catch lightening in a bottle". In other words, hoping the long association with Nick will give Kirby the skills, contacts, etc. to replicate what 'Bama has been doing consistently for the past few years. Than again, I would imagine that's the ultimate Christmas gift wish for every AD who cares about a football program. It will be interesting indeed to see if such experiments work out over the long run.

razorbrass

Saban gone to coach Colts at the end of the year.
Ladies and Gentlemen can I please have your attention.  I've just been handed an urgent and horrifying news story and I need all of you to stop what you are doing and listen!

reddogjcss

Saban want touch the Colts.
Mark is a class act and Georgia will wish they had him back.

jkstock04

Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Birminghog

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on December 02, 2015, 02:39:58 pm
I realize that ultimately coaches are paid to perform and win. However, lost in all that far too often is the fact a HC should also be expected to develop his players as responsible young men who are well prepared to succeed in life after football. IMO he's also charged with trying to set a good example for his players in the way he conducts his own personal life. Nothing I've ever heard would make me doubt in those latter two respects Richt has ever done anything but meet these expectations.

As far as when Saban leaves I have no clue (nor does anyone else I suspect). However, whoever eventually succeeds ole Nick is NOT going to be in a enviable position. The main reason is simple: N.S. has set such a high standard for achievement that the naturally "entitled" 'Bama fan will feel that anything less than a yearly SEC title, much less a  NC, will be totally and completely unacceptable and inexcusable. Anyone remember that it took almost FOREVER once Bear Bryant retired for 'Bama to finally get back to its former success and glory days? Even the relatively good records (with at least NC I believe) under Gene Stallings were never quite good enough. Nope, the "feeding the monster" machine that Saban has built and maintained will eventually bite the Tide faithful in the rear. In the meantime they better enjoy their great records while they last 'cause eventually even their day in the sun will have its sunset.

Vantage, all of your comments about Bama are correct except the those about Stallings. The bloom never came off the rose with him for most Bama fans, and he's still a big favorite. His relationship with his son certainly enhanced that. But man, those dudes got vicious with several of the others between Bryant and Saban. Not pretty.

HogimusMaximus

Richt is a class act.  Can you imagine telling your wife you are going to pay all these people from your own pocket...zoinks.  We should have hired him.

jtaylor2d

I find it interesting that people on this board sing praises for a coach who breaks NCAA violations, but many here are quick to lash out at a poor college kid breaking NCAA violations by taking cash for autographs or other "violations."

To be clear though, I think the NCAA rules are ridiculous and Richt doing things are definitely a class act. Just seems like a double standard when it comes to coaches vs students.