Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rumor going around that Mike Slive

Started by 3BoarsDown, October 23, 2012, 10:12:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MJ2

Quote from: hobhog on October 23, 2012, 02:10:29 pm
BP is damaged goods. ADs around the conference, and the country, will think VERY hard before hiring him. He is a PR nightmare, and any AD that hires him puts himself in BP's shoes. Not going to happen.

Not really following you on this.   My assumption is that most AD's would hire the devil himself if it gave them a chance at a NC. 

jm

I would be surprised if there is any kind of blacklist agreement issued or sponsored by the league office. I do; however, believe that the various ADs talk to one another. Let's face it, as good as BP is as a coach, he has  left his last three employers with a bit of a mess.

Danny J

I was one of the people who did not want BP fired. However...I DON'T want him in the SEC. Please go out west. Up north. Anywhere but the south and south east.

Hawg Balling

Quote from: MJ2 on October 23, 2012, 02:56:35 pm
Not really following you on this.   My assumption is that most AD's would hire the devil himself if it gave them a chance at a NC. 

You must be joking about not following him.  No big time AD in the country has the cache and job security to hire a guy who left his last three jobs on extremely bad terms.  You're kidding yourself if you actually think BP isn't a PR nightmare right now at any big program -- outside of Arkansas, he's universally despised and distrusted, and yet our homer fans can't take off the Hog glasses for one second to see that.  You people who think he'll be at Texas or Tennessee next year are out of our minds. 

RT1941

Quote from: MJ2 on October 23, 2012, 02:56:35 pm
Most AD's probably would hire BP, most Board of Trustee's and University President's won't allow it due to the numerous cirsumstances/baggage that BP carries with him.  Truth be told, BP's got a shady past and most folks with decision making powers won't be willing to take on a liability of BP's magnitude.  JMHO
RazorTusk!!!!

RedRock

Donny2665

Quote from: 3BoarsDown on October 23, 2012, 10:12:11 am
has advised TN, UK, and Auburn that the SEC office would be against a Petrino hire if there are openings at those schools.

Something that started back in Destin amongst the AD's, as a kind of gentleman's agreement that if any school had an opening this year they wouldn't consider Petrino.

We'll see if a school disregards the SEC office wishes. The SEC, much like the NFL, is concerned with protecting their brand.

Source of Rumor or did you dream this nonsense up all on your own?
This life's hard, but it's harder if you're stupid.~George V.Higgins

Ignorance is a voluntary misfortune!~Nicolas Ling

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.~Mark Twain

texas tush hog

Quote from: rhames on October 23, 2012, 10:33:28 am
what grounds could he sue?

If you have to ask you would never understand.

The Food Critic

has advised TN, UK, and Auburn that the SEC office would be against a Petrino hire if there are openings at those schools.

Something that started back in Destin amongst the AD's, as a kind of gentleman's agreement that if any school had an opening this year they wouldn't consider Petrino.

We'll see if a school disregards the SEC office wishes. The SEC, much like the NFL, is concerned with protecting their brand.

I also hear that Jerry Jones is going to hire Nick Saban and the Tide will hire big Bird to replace him. Probably same people you heard this from.

hobhog

October 23, 2012, 04:56:13 pm #110 Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 04:58:23 pm by hobhog
So T I G E R is for the BP hire and canning the Chiz? Awesome. Changed your tune have ya?

OK by me- I can just see the imagitive opposing fans and students abusing BP's pic on posters and Tshirts every week. It will be epic, but sure AU fans could care less about reputation and pride. Go for it.

Ramtough

You need not worry about BP. I'm sure there are several colleges with BP's agent on speed dial just waiting for the season to play out.

The Great Hogsby

What is a gentleman?

- Mike Slive
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it." - Jack Handey

Donny2665

Quote from: The Great Hogsby on October 23, 2012, 05:19:05 pm

What is a gentleman?

- Mike Slive

A man who will hand the lady a towel..

-BP

A man who will hand the lady a towel..

-BP
This life's hard, but it's harder if you're stupid.~George V.Higgins

Ignorance is a voluntary misfortune!~Nicolas Ling

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.~Mark Twain

The Divine Swine

Quote from: jkstock04 on October 23, 2012, 10:19:17 am
This.  What people have to understand is this....at Arkansas winning is not the #1 first and foremost goal. 

Other SEC schools take a different approach.

Penn State in hindsight was a win at all costs program also. So i guess that is the way to be.
Romans 10:9-10

"That if you confess with your mouth, Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.

99toLife

Quote from: Hogcrates on October 23, 2012, 05:27:02 pm
Penn State in hindsight was a win at all costs program also. So i guess that is the way to be.

No they weren't, please explain.

3BoarsDown

d1nonlyhogfan

Yeah, they want to protect their brand by having Bama, LSU, and Florida as the top teams every year.

Case in point: Alabama paid to have Dee Hart and Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix's high school stadium completely remodeled so they could practice there before the Cap One bowl in 2010. Nobody even checked the rules books on that one, I'm sure.
"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it." -- Lou Holtz

"I have yet to be in a game where luck was involved. Well-prepared players make plays. I have yet to be in a game where the most prepared team didn't win." -- Urban Meyer

Hog on the Hill

Hog on the Hill

Quote from: MiHogsMi on October 23, 2012, 01:58:10 pm
Blacklisting Laws.

Blacklisting:
Arkansas employers are prohibited from engaging in blacklisting, which is the practice of circulating or distributing the names of employees who are considered to be undesirable. Blacklisting constitutes a misdemeanor. Ark. Code Ann. § 11-3-202.

Slive is an Arkansas employer?  That's news to me.

Pigstie

Quote from: 3BoarsDown on October 23, 2012, 10:41:21 am
Auburn's 24/7 mod Phillip Marshall is apparently confirming this rumor.
If a Mod confirms it then it has GOT to be true....   ???
The views and opinions of this poster are personal only, and are not one of a professional coach or X Box player.  Beware the Mall Cop.

99toLife

Quote from: Pigstie on October 23, 2012, 05:41:37 pm
If a Mod confirms it then it has GOT to be true....   ???

Exactly,  just like Hogville!

lewd and lascivious

Quote from: razorback3072 on October 23, 2012, 01:59:40 pm
Slive was not the employer.

Not only that, but Slive isn't an "Arkansas" anything...I doubt that our state employment laws have anything to do with him.  But I am not a lawyer, just a super smart dude.

lewd and lascivious

Quote from: RedRock on October 23, 2012, 03:16:14 pm
Petrino to Auburn...book it

I'm sure that Auburn is excited to hire the one person that they know for sure can't beat Nick Saban.

sportswriter41

Quote from: lewd and lascivious on October 23, 2012, 06:13:44 pm
I'm sure that Auburn is excited to hire the one person that they know for sure can't beat Nick Saban.

Petrino can and will be Saban. Saban was a year ahead of Petrino and add to that Saban has much better recruiting grounds and add to that Saban opens springs practice with 70k we can't even get that many people into WMS.... The table was clearly stacked in Sabans favor for every meeting.. Yet Petrino still almost beat Saban.

If talent levels and experience levels were equal I'd take Petrino every time. He is the better coach of the two IMO...Yeap Long you are an idiot.

sportswriter41

Oh and there is no truth to the fact that Slive is blackballing Petrino. Thats nonsense.

HogHomer

October 23, 2012, 07:03:43 pm #126 Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 07:06:59 pm by HogHomer
Quote from: sportswriter41 on October 23, 2012, 06:49:21 pm
Petrino can and will be Saban. Saban was a year ahead of Petrino and add to that Saban has much better recruiting grounds and add to that Saban opens springs practice with 70k we can't even get that many people into WMS.... The table was clearly stacked in Sabans favor for every meeting.. Yet Petrino still almost beat Saban.

If talent levels and experience levels were equal I'd take Petrino every time. He is the better coach of the two IMO...Yeap Long you are an idiot.

GoHogs1091

Nick Saban has coached with Coaches such as Bill Belichick and Gary Gibbs (Gibbs may be the best collegiate Defensive Coach of all-time).  Bobby Petrino is a Carroll College (NAIA) wannabe Div. 1 Coach.

Bobby Petrino really should not be stated in the same sentence with Nick Saban. 

rhog1

You say Bobby is better than Nick? Then at the same time you say Jeff long is the Idiot. Ha!! Talk about pot meet kettle.

hoghearted

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on October 23, 2012, 07:33:54 pm
Nick Saban has coached with Coaches such as Bill Belichick and Gary Gibbs (Gibbs may be the best collegiate Defensive Coach of all-time).  Bobby Petrino is a Carroll College (NAIA) wannabe Div. 1 Coach.

Bobby Petrino really should not be stated in the same sentence with Nick Saban. 

FTR, Petrino coached along side Tom Coughlin, at Jacksonville. So hus coaching pedigree matches up fairly well with Saban.

But carry on with your Conque-loving, Petrino-bashing posts.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

GoHogs1091

Quote from: hoghearted on October 23, 2012, 07:53:07 pm
FTR, Petrino coached along side Tom Coughlin, at Jacksonville. So hus coaching pedigree matches up fairly well with Saban.

But carry on with your Conque-loving, Petrino-bashing posts.

Don't be surprised when Conque retires at UCA that he will be the all-time winningest collegiate Head Coach in the history of college football in the State of Arkansas (provided Conque stays at UCA, which he probably will).  Conque is currently at 95 wins and counting.  Coach Broyles won 144 games at the UofA.  Conque should have no problem passing Coach Broyles' 144 wins mark.     

T I G E R

Quote from: hobhog on October 23, 2012, 04:56:13 pm
So T I G E R is for the BP hire and canning the Chiz? Awesome. Changed your tune have ya?

OK by me- I can just see the imagitive opposing fans and students abusing BP's pic on posters and Tshirts every week. It will be epic, but sure AU fans could care less about reputation and pride. Go for it.

I didn't say I was for it. Just that I think it will happen.

hoghearted

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on October 23, 2012, 07:59:56 pm
Don't be surprised when Conque retires at UCA that he will be the all-time winningest collegiate Head Coach in the history of college football in the State of Arkansas (provided Conque stays at UCA, which he probably will).  Conque is currently at 95 wins and counting.  Coach Broyles won 144 games at the UofA.  Conque should have no problem passing Coach Broyles' 144 wins mark.     

Good grief.

And you bash people for having a 'man-crush' on Petrino.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

Roadrunner

Quote from: TOM "tbw1" W. on October 23, 2012, 12:05:25 pm
Coach Petrino was removed for cause, including abused his authority by making a staff decision and personal choices that benefited himself and jeopardized the integrity of the football program,  misleading the public and engaging in a pattern of misleading and manipulative behavior designed to deceive.

Plenty of reason to not be rehired by any school.

And of his 4 most recent past employers: 
Auburn, Louisville, Atlanta, & Arkansas
He did not exact leave them all with that warm fuzzy feeling.

In a normal job, that sort of resume and reference thing would get you passed over many times.  Of course, we're talking about football and winning here, so who knows?
When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: hoghearted on October 23, 2012, 08:08:48 pm
Good grief.

And you bash people for having a 'man-crush' on Petrino.

That sort of aspect ("man crush") shouldn't happen in regards to Petrino.

When a last 3 coaching jobs are left with a shambles situation (i.e., what occurred with Petrino)  =  Not worthy of any accolades or attention. 

Golfer

Quote from: milton14 on October 23, 2012, 12:05:18 pm
yea just to make it look good. They will turn around and hire him the day they fire Gene. Went to the Auburn game and there was just to much Petrino talk from alot of fans.
[/quote/] 

There is a lot of talk of hiring Gruden at Arkansas, but that doesn't mean that we will hire him. 

fullfan

Quote from: poloprince on October 23, 2012, 10:37:27 am
Man dude is not getting hired by a SEC school anyway. 
Never was! But floating this rumor makes it easier for some on here to save face when BP's actions this past spring throw up red flags even to schools that appear to win at all cost.

BrokerHawg

Take it for what it is worth
It's a rumor

psooie

I could see UK and UT agree to those wishes, auburn, not so much. I'll go with BP to cal, anything goes in that state.

WBOBO

If BP goes to Cal, Lane Kiffin's arse just tightened up a bit.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.

redeye

Quote from: jkstock04 on October 23, 2012, 10:19:17 am
This.  What people have to understand is this....at Arkansas winning is not the #1 first and foremost goal. 

Other SEC schools take a different approach.

I concur. I don't know about all other SEC schools, but I think that's pretty much true with all the major football powers. Comparing our infraction record with most of these schools makes us look like angels. This is one of the reasons why I consider cheating a huge deal and hate when people brush it off as moral victories, etc.

Pigdiana Jones

Quote from: Oliver on October 23, 2012, 10:34:07 am
There you go Slive.  Speak out against Petrino but sweep Scam Newton under the rug. 

This
"In the East, college football is a cultural exercise.

On the West Coast, it is a tourist attraction.

In the Midwest, it is cannibalism.

But in the South, college football is a religion, and every Saturday is a holy day."

Rzbakfromwaybak

I don't believe a word of this.  I am sure there are AD's that want to stay away from BP for now.....but I don't believe there is any unwritten agreement.......or that they would all abide by one.  They are all going to do what they think is best for their school.

This is just what the first word in the title of this thread reads:

....."Rumor"....
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

moses_007

Why would the SEC not want to have the #5 rated coach from 2011 coaching in the SEC?  I don't believe this one bit.  This is a rumor that some idiot, probably in Alabama, has made up.  Absolute nonsense!!!!

LJHOG

I can't imagine Slive and the SEC office being dumb enough to attempt to blacklist a coach.  The lawsuit would be staggering.

Hawg414

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on October 23, 2012, 08:13:02 pm
That sort of aspect ("man crush") shouldn't happen in regards to Petrino.

When a last 3 coaching jobs are left with a shambles situation (i.e., what occurred with Petrino)  =  Not worthy of any accolades or attention. 

shambles?  little dramatic maybe?

arkansas was left with the #8 preseason ranked team. 

the falcons are a pro team.  they lost their coach 3 games earlier than expected.  big deal.  atlanta didnt find themselves in "shambles" when they fired dan reeves with 3 games left in the season did they?  whats the difference.

and its tough to say louisville was left in "shambles" either.  not his fault that kragthorpe couldnt keep going what he had built. 

Murr

I could see Slive suggesting that AD try and make HC hires with cleaner backgrounds, but at the end of the day it's still all about the W's.

NaturalStateReb

I think the Auburn board is just prepping the fan base for the disappointment of not hiring Petrino.  This sounds like a trial balloon to me.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Hawgon

Quote from: LJHOG on October 24, 2012, 01:09:04 am
I can't imagine Slive and the SEC office being dumb enough to attempt to blacklist a coach.  The lawsuit would be staggering.

Why does everyone think you can sue for everything?  What would be the cause of action?  It is this sort of thinking that got Petrino fired at Arkansas in the first place.

MJ2

Quote from: RT1941 on October 23, 2012, 03:15:04 pm
Most AD's probably would hire BP, most Board of Trustee's and University President's won't allow it due to the numerous cirsumstances/baggage that BP carries with him.  Truth be told, BP's got a shady past and most folks with decision making powers won't be willing to take on a liability of BP's magnitude.  JMHO

Your response is vey logical.   I believe BP alread has one or two top jobs to pick from and it's just a matter of the season getting over and the proper wheels to turn.