Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rumor going around that Mike Slive

Started by 3BoarsDown, October 23, 2012, 10:12:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

3BoarsDown

has advised TN, UK, and Auburn that the SEC office would be against a Petrino hire if there are openings at those schools.

Something that started back in Destin amongst the AD's, as a kind of gentleman's agreement that if any school had an opening this year they wouldn't consider Petrino.

We'll see if a school disregards the SEC office wishes. The SEC, much like the NFL, is concerned with protecting their brand.

jkstock04

No doubt...this has got to be true.  No way a program like Auburn would ever consider this...
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

OptimusHog

I could support this if only for my own selfish wants and desires.

ballhog™

When it comes to football and winning, SEC and gentlemen aren't going to be in the same sentence...
Touchdown Arkansas! Oh My! --Paul Eells- Voice of the Razorbacks-Southern Gentleman

I do believe you have to be able to run the football when you want to, run the football when you have to. I believe you have to be able to throw the football when you want to, and throw the football when you have to.  --Former Razorback Head Football Coach Bobby Petrino.

Hoggiedawg

No way it's true.  Talk about law suit material.

jkstock04

Quote from: ballhog™ on October 23, 2012, 10:16:46 am
When it comes to football and winning, SEC and gentlemen aren't going to be in the same sentence...
This.  What people have to understand is this....at Arkansas winning is not the #1 first and foremost goal. 

Other SEC schools take a different approach. 
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Iwastherein1969

The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Tripod1

Spot on

dwcherr

If this was remotely true, which it is not, then BP would have a cause of action to sue the SEC for millions of dollars. I wouldn't think the SEC would want to expose themselves to that sort of liability.

Tim Harris

Quote from: dwcherr on October 23, 2012, 10:30:11 am
If this was remotely true, which it is not, then BP would have a cause of action to sue the SEC for millions of dollars. I wouldn't think the SEC would want to expose themselves to that sort of liability.

Not if it is just recommended. 

Tim Harris

Quote from: 3BoarsDown on October 23, 2012, 10:12:11 am
has advised TN, UK, and Auburn that the SEC office would be against a Petrino hire if there are openings at those schools.

Something that started back in Destin amongst the AD's, as a kind of gentleman's agreement that if any school had an opening this year they wouldn't consider Petrino.

We'll see if a school disregards the SEC office wishes. The SEC, much like the NFL, is concerned with protecting their brand.

I actually could see this happening.  Slive wants to protect the SEC.  Sure it is just a recommendation and people could go against his wishes but that woudln't be smart for them in the long run.

rhames

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

hogsanity

Based on what?  The SEC is a private organization and they can impose standards just like they do for eligibility.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Oliver

There you go Slive.  Speak out against Petrino but sweep Scam Newton under the rug. 

RollTideHog

Total BULLCHIT!!! some of you are down right crazy!! LOL

poloprince

Man dude is not getting hired by a SEC school anyway. 
$PoLoPrInCe$

jusgtohogs

With all due respect, a rumor going around amongst whom?  Fans?  You and your buddies?

3BoarsDown

Auburn's 24/7 mod Phillip Marshall is apparently confirming this rumor.

Calling All Hogs

How about a gentlemen's agreement that the SEC will stop using and hiring bottom of the barrel refs like Marc Curles.

The_Iceman

I don't doubt that there was probably talk or mention asking other schools not to hire him.

But I also doubt that it is any form that is enforceable. Was probably simply discouraged.

Hawg414

why?  what is the concern? 

jry04

October 23, 2012, 10:44:06 am #22 Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 10:45:41 am by rsvl_hogfan4
Quote from: Hoggiedawg on October 23, 2012, 10:17:53 am
No way it's true.  Talk about law suit material.
Lawsuit material? Are you serious?

Petrino isn't coaching in the SEC next year, regardless if this rumor is true.

Hawg Balling

October 23, 2012, 10:45:39 am #23 Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 10:47:15 am by Hawg Balling
Quote from: CallMeHog on October 23, 2012, 10:42:47 am
How about a gentlemen's agreement that the SEC will stop using and hiring bottom of the barrel refs like Marc Curles.

Cosigned. 

Never ceases to amaze me that the best conference with the most money, best facilities, greatest coaches and most passionate fans still has officiating that makes the NFL replacement refs look like Ed Hochuli. 

It'd be like Donald Trump leaving his palatial apartment in the morning wearing a $5,000 suit and Rolex and.....getting into his '87 Honda Accord.   

HogWall Jackson

If he did that there could be a whole office of Attorneys in his future. If this were to be the case, he should have stepped up and issued a suspension @ the time this incident happened. Employment lawyers would have a blast with this one.  Ever University employee could be required to provide a "Sexual History" to prove that no Affairs were in their background? I don't think that would be a good place to go.

Agent of Chaos

Pretty much.
You know the thing about Chaos.....it's fair.

http://halftimehennessy.com/

Tim Harris

I can't wait for all the Hogville lawyers to come on here and talk about this one.....

NaturalStateReb

I think this got its start over at the Auburn board.  Doubt there's anything to it.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

threeNout

If this is true, I wonder if any school hiring BP would have a "special" officiating crew follow Petrino around for his big games. wouldn't surprise me.

regardless, hasn't anyone else noted that Arkansas hasn't been advised against re-hiring Petrino?  ;)

2BitBoar

I heard some things about Slive's opinion of Petrino BEFORE the motorcycle incident that lead me to believe this could very well be true.  Even heard a rumor that Slive had threatened to uninvite Petrino from SEC meetings based on a couple of incidents that sounded similar to the Cotton Bowl stories.  Heard these things probably a year ago from sources outside Arkansas (ironically a group of Tennessee politicos and an Auburn guy) and dismissed them at the time as other schools being jealous of Petrino and our success, but lines up with this rumor. 

BorderPatrol

Quote from: HogWall Jackson on October 23, 2012, 10:50:27 am
If he did that there could be a whole office of Attorneys in his future. If this were to be the case, he should have stepped up and issued a suspension @ the time this incident happened. Employment lawyers would have a blast with this one.  Ever University employee could be required to provide a "Sexual History" to prove that no Affairs were in their background? I don't think that would be a good place to go.

So it is against the law to discourage folks from hiring someone with a shady background to represent the company? Gotcha.

bp

GTOWNHOG

Quote from: Hawg414 on October 23, 2012, 10:43:29 am
why?  what is the concern? 

Don't know if it is true, but I would not doubt it.  Mike Slive is very conscious of "image" and "optics".  Petrino is not good for either in the SEC.  Too much baggage and bad history with the Auburn/Louisville situation.
Good luck to ALL of our Razorback teams!!

Hawgon

Nothing illegal or wrong in it.  Slive, as commissioner, has an almost unlimited ability to express his concerns on practically any matter he feels could impact the league as a whole in a negative manner.

Of course, it is probably unenforceable and a school could hire him anyway, but that would have some obvious pitfalls.  I would imagine that if Auburn hired Petrino they might find future requests to the SEC office on any number of items would get a uniform, "Sorry, we can't help you with that" in response.

If this is true, and it sort of sounds like the way Slive has shown himself to operate, then there are lots of things he could do to make sure a school regretted going against him on it.  In fact, I've always wondered if Slive might not have had a little input into the firing itself and maybe given a little nudge here and there.  I'm pretty sure the SEC was already down on Petrino for the way he went after officials on the sidelines and his tirade at LSU.  So, I've always suspected that Slive might have given a call to indicate that the SEC would certainly like it if Petrino were no longer at Arkansas.

nwarazfan

Slive is a lawyer.  He knows what he can and can't enforce.  I don't dismiss the rumor at all.  As said earlier, he has a brand to protect and may view this as something he needs to "suggest" to his members.

rhames

Other than people saying he would have a law suit, no one is presenting why.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

beantownhog

Quote from: threeNout on October 23, 2012, 11:01:41 am
If this is true, I wonder if any school hiring BP would have a "special" officiating crew follow Petrino around for his big games. wouldn't surprise me.

regardless, hasn't anyone else noted that Arkansas hasn't been advised against re-hiring Petrino?  ;)

+1  Awesome Avitar, and signature line!
If your tax refund equals your taxes paid in, you don't pay taxes.

Hawg Balling

Quote from: rhames on October 23, 2012, 11:10:20 am

Slive is a real lawyer and has actual attorneys at his disposal.  Hogville is rife with people who watch Law & Order and Nancy Grace. 

beantownhog

Quote from: Hawg Balling on October 23, 2012, 11:13:42 am
Slive is a real lawyer and has actual attorneys at his disposal.  Hogville is rife with people who watch Law & Order and Nancy Grace.

Mariska Hargitay...YES!
Nancy Grace...NO!
If your tax refund equals your taxes paid in, you don't pay taxes.

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: beantownhog on October 23, 2012, 11:19:42 am
Mariska Hargitay...YES!
Nancy Grace...NO!

Smartest thing in this whole thread.
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

razorback3072

Quote from: rhames on October 23, 2012, 11:10:20 am

He wouldn't. IMO, he would first have to prove some type of slander first. Even then, schools don't have to grant an interview or even enter discussions with him.
A veteran is someone who at one point in his life wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for the amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor. There are way too many people in this country who no longer understand that.

http://www.nralifeofduty.tv/#/patriotprofiles

http://fearlessnavyseal.com/

(notOM)Rebel123

I have no idea if this is true or not. But people shouldn't be at all surprised if  the league office has made "suggestions" to member institutions. If it is true, I'd just about bet money that it's not the first time suggestions have been made and certainly won't be the last.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

RazorWorld

To advise someone on who to hire would be pushing the legal aspects pretty hard. Bobby Petrino was not sanctioned or fined and broke no laws that he was prosecuted for nor charged with anything. It would be a bad idea based on no legal precedent to make such a recommendation. This is total fabrication.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Oliver on October 23, 2012, 10:34:07 am
There you go Slive.  Speak out against Petrino but sweep Scam Newton under the rug. 

LOL..! You've never met a conspiracy theory you didn't like... +1
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Hawg Balling

Aston Martin 8 dude

Quote from: jkstock04 on October 23, 2012, 10:19:17 am
This.  What people have to understand is this....at Arkansas winning is not the #1 first and foremost goal. 

Bingo! If such was indicated to these schools and CBP could prove it the league office would be in a world of hurt!! I just don't believe Slive would want to take such a chance.

56Hog

Knowing how Slive works, the conference office will re-issue the 2013 schedule in January so that Petrino and Saban and Spurrier, and Tubberville, and Cutcliff all have to face their former teams next year...and CBS & ESPN pay the SEC a "soap opera premium" evey time that happens again after 2014.
"This is the lesson: never give in, never give in, never, never, never-in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." - Winston Churchill

TOM "tbw1"

Quote from: Aston Martin 8 dude on October 23, 2012, 11:45:37 am
Bingo! If such was indicated to these schools and CBP could prove it the league office would be in a world of hurt!! I just don't believe Slive would want to take such a chance.

How would the league office be in a world of hurt?  The league office continually sends suggestions as to how to protect the SEC product.

You also take as fact that SEC Presidents and Athletic Directors agree with the Bobby is Best crowd.
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

BartIV

Quote from: jkstock04 on October 23, 2012, 10:19:17 am

This... Never the Bride, always the bridesmaid.

Aston Martin 8 dude

Quote from: TOM "tbw1" W. on October 23, 2012, 11:49:47 am
How would the league office be in a world of hurt?  The league office continually sends suggestions as to how to protect the SEC product.

You also take as fact that SEC Presidents and Athletic Directors agree with the Bobby is Best crowd.
Because if Bobby could create a case that after a league office directed edict that schools were purposely discouraged/restrained from seeking his employment a suit could possibly be won. Not saying it would, however, if someone can make a case that their potential employment has been blocked or stongly discouraged there could be a potential for a civil action. This is particularly true assuming the coach in question hasn't been convicted of any NCAA violations or breaking of other rules. Adultry would NOT be among those considerations.

TOM "tbw1"

Which of the following protected classes does Coach Petrino belong?

Employment discrimination happens when an employee is treated unfavorably because of his or her race, skin color, national origin, gender, disability, religion, or age.
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?