Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hugh Freeze pulling a Saban

Started by 3BoarsDown, July 31, 2012, 08:00:39 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Boot_stops_here

so they should be expected to honor a schollie OFFER to this kid regardless of whether or not he can fully recover from his knee injury? whatever...you're letting you're hatred of ole miss cloud you're judgement on this one...this should be a non-story

CDBHawg

Virgil

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on July 31, 2012, 08:10:29 am
so they should be expected to honor a schollie OFFER to this kid regardless of whether or not he can fully recover from his knee injury? whatever...you're letting you're hatred of ole miss cloud you're judgement on this one...this should be a non-story

I agree and I don't blame them for doing it.   Can't play if your injured.
It's not what you push but what pushes you!!

RedyorNot

A little off topic, okay, completely off topic, but did you see the link at the end of the story about FSU signing the #1DE and then hiring his father?? How does the NCAA not pounce on more schools?

bigdaddyhawg

Also, Saban revoked the scholarship offer either signing day or the day before.  This kid has the full recruiting season to get another offer lined up.

Big difference.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Ham Ham Pigelow

Quote from: RedyorNot on July 31, 2012, 09:04:01 am
A little off topic, okay, completely off topic, but did you see the link at the end of the story about FSU signing the #1DE and then hiring his father?? How does the NCAA not pounce on more schools?
#1 recruit Robert Nkemdiche's father is a doctor and was offered a job by an Oxford, MS area hospital. Nkemdiche's brother plays for Ole Miss. Sounds like the family is preparing to be close to each other to me. Not much the NCAA can do about it anyway.

Tim Harris

Quote from: RedyorNot on July 31, 2012, 09:04:01 am

Happens quite often.  Maybe not directly for the school but boosters find parents jobs in the area.

RedyorNot

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Ham Ham Pigelow on July 31, 2012, 09:43:15 am
#1 recruit Robert Nkemdiche's father is a doctor and was offered a job by an Oxford, MS area hospital. Nkemdiche's brother plays for Ole Miss. Sounds like the family is preparing to be close to each other to me. Not much the NCAA can do is willing to do about it anyway.

If the NCAA can summarily impose serious regulations on Penn State for their issues, then surely the NCAA can do the same with these schools.

Force them to take you to court, then you get all the participants on the stand, under oath, and might finally get the truth out on some of this bull.

Of course, that will never happen.  But they could it they wanted to.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

CDBHawg

Quote from: Ham Ham Pigelow on July 31, 2012, 09:43:15 am
#1 recruit Robert Nkemdiche's father is a doctor and was offered a job by an Oxford, MS area hospital. Nkemdiche's brother plays for Ole Miss. Sounds like the family is preparing to be close to each other to me. Not much the NCAA can do about it anyway.

Good move by the hospital, take advantages of connections always.

The Boar War

He got an offer because of his ability and now he doesn't have an offer because of his ability.  Verbal commitments are non binding (for both parties).

That being said I think we're going to have a lot of fun with Coach Freeze in Oxford.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: The Boar War on July 31, 2012, 02:00:34 pm
That being said I think we're going to have a lot of fun with Coach Freeze in Oxford.

Although I'm not sure how you meant it, I agree.

If OM can be patient, I believe the guy will field competitive teams.

Hans Gruber

Ready to see Philon tear up the SEC.

3BoarsDown

40 yr old men on a message board don't have a problem with it but recruits, their families, and high school coaches do.

Robert Nkemdiche tweeted:

"Messed up what omu(Ole Miss university) did to Mario Mathis."

Huds_HawgTide

"you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bulls ass, but id rather just take the butchers word for it" tom callahan
tommy boy

"Don't leave and be FROM Arkansas, stay and BE Arkansas" --coach jimmy dykes

"Going to mcd's for a salad is like going to a brothel for a hug"

yraciv

Quote from: tophawgwatcher on July 31, 2012, 04:54:26 pm
robert is learning so much

Dude, you are in every thread today? I know your bored, but come one man!

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: yraciv on July 31, 2012, 05:12:11 pm
Dude, you are in every thread today? I know your bored, but come one man!

What are you, the Hogville post counter and police?

yraciv

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on July 31, 2012, 05:39:08 pm
What are you, the Hogville post counter and police?

I've never made a post like that. Said something cause he posted I'm bored in another thread, and had posted in 7 threads in a row in the recruiting forum. It wasn't meant to be taken that seriously. Lighten up!

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: RedyorNot on July 31, 2012, 10:39:54 am
Thanks guys, but I was talking about this. FSU hires on staff ESPN #1 players dad

http://blogs.ajc.com/recruiting/2012/07/30/florida-state-hires-father-of-nations-no-1-football-recruit/

In fairness though, the father was a star for FSU and played 5 years in the NFL, so he may be qualified.
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: yraciv on July 31, 2012, 05:41:13 pm
It wasn't meant to be taken that seriously.

Yeah, neither was mine.  (I really know there are no Hogville post counting police.  ;))

Fatty McGee

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on July 31, 2012, 08:10:29 am

Yes, they should.  You make the offer, you ought to have to be committed.  At some point, some part of this process ought to favor the athlete.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

CDBHawg

Quote from: 3BoarsDown on July 31, 2012, 04:21:46 pm
40 yr old men on a message board don't have a problem with it but recruits, their families, and high school coaches do.

Robert Nkemdiche tweeted:

"Messed up what omu(Ole Miss university) did to Mario Mathis."

Yeah, a recruit that's committed elsewhere.

tophawg19

i agree . if you offer and they commit it should be final . this would eliminate those prima donna games .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

The Boar War

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on July 31, 2012, 03:37:18 pm
Although I'm not sure how you meant it, I agree.

If OM can be patient, I believe the guy will field competitive teams.

Really?  I thought it was a questionable hire.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: The Boar War on July 31, 2012, 07:27:50 pm
Really?  I thought it was a questionable hire.

I can see how one might question it, but I thought he did a very good job at ASU.  And if he could do it up there he can do it in Oxford, too, IMO.

He's certainly showing he will bust his hump in recruiting, and is getting some results, thought it's early.

It'll be interesting to see how they do this fall.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Fatty McGee on July 31, 2012, 06:50:20 pm
Yes, they should.  You make the offer, you ought to have to be committed.  At some point, some part of this process ought to favor the athlete.

You've certainly got a deep seated neurotic thing going on about how these kids get screwed.

"some part of this process ought to favor the athlete"?

They have 100% free choice as it stands now.  THEY have that decision in their hands, not the schools.

The student-athlete can change his mind anytime before he signs that offer sheet, and they often do near to signing day.  They aren't even required to sign that paper.  They can hold off their commitment all the until school starts if they wish, and some kids have kept their recruiting up into the summer.

How does that NOT favor the kids?

Fatty McGee

July 31, 2012, 10:43:14 pm #27 Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 10:46:21 pm by Fatty McGee
Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on July 31, 2012, 10:39:48 pm
They have 100% free choice as it stands now.  THEY have that decision in their hands, not the schools.

This is so naive it's sweet.

Forgive me for having a basic sense of fairness.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Fatty McGee on July 31, 2012, 10:43:14 pm
This is so naive it's sweet.

Forgive me for having a basic sense of fairness.

At least you've changed your tact from bullying it down our throats now to sarcasm.

Somewhat refreshing, I guess.

Fatty McGee

July 31, 2012, 11:12:48 pm #29 Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 11:16:17 pm by Fatty McGee
Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on July 31, 2012, 11:06:32 pm
At least you've changed your tact from bullying it down our throats now to sarcasm.

Somewhat refreshing, I guess.

Did you feel bullied?  I'm sorry.  I'm quite delicate - I would never bully anyone.  Who is "our"? 

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Fatty McGee on July 31, 2012, 11:12:48 pm
Did you feel bullied?  I'm sorry.  I'm quite delicate - I would never bully anyone.  Who is "our"? 

Hardly delicate, I'd say.  And, look around for the rest of us.

Fatty McGee

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on August 01, 2012, 12:27:52 am
Hardly delicate, I'd say.  And, look around for the rest of us.

You got a mouse in your pocket?

hogntonk

Front page of the Memphis Commercial Appeal sports page today has article on the Ole Miss offer.  Per the recruits mother, Denise Fletcher, " there was always an agreement between her son and Ole Miss that the scholarship offer was contingent on his health. "   When the recruit, Mario Mathis, visited Ole Miss recently it was obvious he still had issues with his movement.   Both parents and Hugh Freeze agreed to release Mario from his commitment.  However,  the scholarship offer stands if Mario returns to full strength.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: hogntonk on August 01, 2012, 06:35:15 am
Front page of the Memphis Commercial Appeal sports page today has article on the Ole Miss offer.  Per the recruits mother, Denise Fletcher, " there was always an agreement between her son and Ole Miss that the scholarship offer was contingent on his health. "   When the recruit, Mario Mathis, visited Ole Miss recently it was obvious he still had issues with his movement.   Both parents and Hugh Freeze agreed to release Mario from his commitment.  However,  the scholarship offer stands if Mario returns to full strength.

Just horrible, shocking behavior there -- the kid's own parents colluding with the evil CFB coach to steal their son of his god given right to play football under scholarship.

Maybe the justice department will launch an investigation, to see if his civil rights are being violated.

CDBHawg

Saban is a great model to follow.

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: Fatty McGee on July 31, 2012, 06:50:20 pm

so if the kid commits to a school, he shouldn't be able to change his mid either, right?...i'd say the part of the process that favors the athlete is the free education

Fatty McGee

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on August 01, 2012, 09:13:23 am

so if the kid commits to a school, he shouldn't be able to change his mid either, right?...i'd say the part of the process that favors the athlete is the free education

You have an odd definition of free. And I think the athlete ought to have the same freedom a coach does to change their mind.

CDBHawg

Quote from: Fatty McGee on August 01, 2012, 12:36:37 pm
You have an odd definition of free. And I think the athlete ought to have the same freedom a coach does to change their mind.

Too bad what any of us think doesn't matter.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Fatty McGee on August 01, 2012, 12:36:37 pm

They do have the same freedom.

A student-athlete has complete freedom to leave his school and transfer to any other school any time he wishes, given whatever academic transfer issues apply, just as with any other student.

If a student-athlete wishes to transfer and play immediately, he has the complete freedom to transfer to a school in a lower classification, which is no way prevents him from continuing his playing career.

Truth is, most, if not all, student-athletes playing at high D1 programs would have more options to transfer to other programs than 90+% of ALL D1 coaches would to get other coaching jobs at D1 programs.