Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

UGa dismisses RB Isaiah Crowell

Started by 3BoarsDown, June 29, 2012, 07:40:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

3BoarsDown

Isiah Crowell arrested with a concealed weapon in a school zone.

Kid has had several chances.

Seems to be a pattern with overhyped UGA RB's.

NWA Hog11

UGA got all excited they might gain something from this, then they realized that theyre up against Arkansas in the Fulmer Cup. Theyre still 1,000 points behind at this point.
Oh Lord it's hard to be humble, when you're an Arkansas Razorback fan! GO HOGS!

870hogfan

Malzahn might go after him now....lol

jbcarol

AJC beat writer is apparently shaken by Crowell's arrest

QuoteCrowell was arrested as the result of as "vehicle check-point stop" (sic) — a road block — on East Campus Road at Green Street at 2:20 a.m. Friday.

According to the UGA Student-Athlete handbook, a felony arrest means "immediate suspension from athletic competition." A "Comprehensive Action Plan Committee," consisting of UGA athletic administrators and the faculty athletics representative, will then investigate and review the facts and forward a disciplinary recommendation to athletic director Greg McGarity. Recommendations include "dismissal from the team, suspension from competition, reduction in aid and/or cancellation of athletic aid."

This is not Crowell's first brush with trouble at Georgia. He was benched for the first quarter of the Vanderbilt game on Oct. 15 as a punishment for an unknown disciplinary infraction and was suspended for the Nov. 5 New Mexico State game, reportedly for failing a drug test.

McGarity, responding to a text message seeking comment, said "not at this time."

With Crowell likely out of the fold, Georgia will turn to redshirt sophomore Ken Malcome and senior Richard Samuel to carry the load early on. The Bulldogs also signed Keith Marshall of Raleigh, N.C., — considered the top running back prospect in the country, according to 247Sports.com — who enrolled in January, and four-star prospect Todd Gurley of Tarboro, N.C., to play running back.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

island hog

Seems UGA's all world RB Crowell was popped with two felonies over night...illegal weapon, etc.  (but they didn't find any maryjane)...

http://espn.go.com/colleges/georgia/football/story/_/id/8111289/georgia-bulldogs-isaiah-crowell-faces-felony-weapons-counts

As a poster stated, nothing good seems to happen after midnight to athletes.

mizzouman

That first SEC game against GA is getting easier and easier, but still difficult.

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: island hog on June 29, 2012, 09:51:29 am
Seems UGA's all world RB Crowell was popped with two felonies over night...illegal weapon, etc.  (but they didn't find any maryjane)...

http://espn.go.com/colleges/georgia/football/story/_/id/8111289/georgia-bulldogs-isaiah-crowell-faces-felony-weapons-counts

As a poster stated, nothing good seems to happen after midnight to athletes.

ASU lock!!

choppedporkextrasauce

He is one of the most overrated running backs to come into the SEC.

He was a 5 star back. He's a shining example that the top recruits are always what they seem.

In his first season he lacked stamina, had a weak football IQ, and never showed an ounce of homerun speed. He never broke the big run in his first season.

His teammates realized he was a headcase and apparently he was not well liked.

nwarazfan

Quote from: mizzouman on June 29, 2012, 09:57:13 am
That first SEC game against GA is getting easier and easier, but still difficult.

Top 50 recruit Keith Marshall will step in for Crowell. 

Hog Fan...DOH!

I like your chances.  Well, assuming you have a QB.

870hogfan

Texas A&M freshman QB was also arrested early this morning also. For fighting and having a fake ID.

Hoggy Potter

That was some first class reporting by ESPN Dawg House!! 
Just Play to Win Baby!!!

greasy_corner

Quote from: 870hogfan on June 29, 2012, 10:55:12 am
Texas A&M freshman QB was also arrested early this morning also. For fighting and having a fake ID.

They're acclimating nicely to the new conference I see. 

Aston Martin 8 dude

Ahh.......perhaps; but just wait until you meet a good SEC team that's actually playing at full strength. That should be fun.

IronHog

Quote from: choppedporkextrasauce on June 29, 2012, 10:35:43 am

He was a 5 star back. He's a shining example that the top recruits are always what they seem.

In his first season he lacked stamina, had a weak football IQ, and never showed an ounce of homerun speed. He never broke the big run in his first season.

Latimore gets similar treatment.

The is a good back no doubt, but gets a ton of hype because he was a top recruit and plays for the old ball coach.

Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: IronHog on June 29, 2012, 12:06:50 pm

Latimore gets similar treatment.

The is a good back no doubt, but gets a ton of hype because he was a top recruit and plays for the old ball coach.

I curious why you think that, or how you know it.  Not doubting it, mind you, but Lattimore has always seemed like more of a hard working, play-through-pain, team first kind of guy.  I would have assumed he was popular with teammates and in fact I thought his attitude was comparable to Knile's.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

BigSexyHog

Looks like the kid needs someone who is in the people helpin bizzzz
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

King TUSKankahamun

I dont understand these people.... theres one rule, stay out of trouble. That means no fighting, stealing, having a fake ID or whatever. Just do that for 3 years and then go into the very lucrative NFL(yes I understand they dont all go there but alot of the guys gettting popped have a solid shot at it) Why is that so hard??
Self proclaimed dead King of Hogville

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

n5xm

As a knucklehead myself,  I am offended by the title of this thread.  Let's remember that not all knuckleheads are criminals!

TMc

Georgia has 2-3 that will step in his place and probably 1-2 coming in this fall.., they won't miss a beat.

jry04

Quote from: choppedporkextrasauce on June 29, 2012, 10:35:43 am

He was a freshman. How can you call him overrated after one season? He ran for 850 yards and averaged nearly 5 yards per carry as a freshman. He only averaged 15 carries per game. The dude will be a stud by his junior year if he is still in college by then.

Tim Harris

Can we trade our felons for their felon?  Then everyone gets a second chance.

BrianWPS!!

Siap but Crowell has been dismissed from Georgia. Asu bound.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: King TUSKankahamun on June 29, 2012, 12:35:01 pm
I dont understand these people.... theres one rule, stay out of trouble. That means no fighting, stealing, having a fake ID or whatever. Just do that for 3 years and then go into the very lucrative NFL(yes I understand they dont all go there but alot of the guys gettting popped have a solid shot at it) Why is that so hard??

Just because they have great talent doesn't mean they are smart.  They were blessed with a physical body, but not a brain. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

IronHog

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on June 29, 2012, 12:18:22 pm
I curious why you think that, or how you know it.  Not doubting it, mind you, but Lattimore has always seemed like more of a hard working, play-through-pain, team first kind of guy.  I would have assumed he was popular with teammates and in fact I thought his attitude was comparable to Knile's.

Similar treatment from ESPN as being better than he really is........

Is is really good..... but not the player they make him out to be sometimes.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Hogfaniam

Quote from: 870hogfan on June 29, 2012, 10:55:12 am

Sounds like a good weekend back in the day
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

iluvmyslute89

June 29, 2012, 11:02:52 pm #29 Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 11:05:43 pm by The Pig of destiny
I could be completely alone on this... But why??
Why does this have to be posted on hogville. I know its news but damn.. The 'they got players in trouble to so i post this on hogville and makes me feel better about our kids and what they done' mentality.. So old. Some folks need to realize, every little flippin whimish thought you have is not worthy of debate. R.m.p.l.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: The Pig of destiny on June 29, 2012, 11:02:52 pm
Why does this have to be posted on hogville. I know its news but damn.. The 'they got players in trouble to so i post this on hogville and makes me feel better about our kids and what they done' mentality.. So old. Some folks need to realize, every little flippin whimish thought you have is not worthy of debate. R.m.p.l.

Try this reasoning. Nobody said that it makes them feel better about our players versus our conference brethren. ALL teams have players get in trouble. It is worthy of debate because what happens to other teams in the conference can affect our standing and potential ranking even if we don't play them.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

jbcarol

Bradley: Crowell gets the boot, and we ask: Why is it always Georgia?

QuoteNo program holds the patent on decency. Didn't Penn State tout itself as an example of Success With Honor? The fan who chortles over the moral missteps of a rival is sure to be weeping tears of shame tomorrow, for that's the way it works in big-time football. Every coach at every school is only waiting for the other shoe to drop — on him.

So no, Georgia players aren't alone in messing up. Pick another campus — Florida, Auburn, LSU — and you'll find similar examples of excess. In sum, it's not only Georgia. That said ...

Why is it always Georgia?

jbcarol

Crowell, the reigning SEC Freshman of the Year, was dismissed from the Georgia football team Friday. That came hours after he was released from jail in Athens, following an arrest on two felony weapon charges and one misdemeanor.

QuoteCrowell declined to offer any reaction when reached on his cell phone a few minutes after the dismissal was announced. His mother Debbie also declined to comment.

"I placed Crowell under arrest," officer Kathryn Thornton wrote. "I read him Miranda and he said he wanted to talk. He said that other people drive his car. I asked, other people like those guys in there now, and he said no, other people. He denied knowing the gun was there."

Crowell also said he did not have a handgun permit. A background check showed that he had no prior criminal history.

While Harrow was being searched, an officer asked Crowell, "Why are you so nervous?"

This is the second straight year that Georgia's top two rushers from the previous season are gone from the team prematurely: King and Ealey after 2010 and Crowell and Carlton Thomas, who transferred, after 2011.

And Crowell is the second highly touted tailback from Carver to not make it at Georgia, following Jasper Sanks.

In fact, Sanks offered up some advice to Crowell last year. Crowell talked about that before last season.

"Really he's (been) telling me to keep my head on straight, and he was telling me that he messed up ... certain things not to do, certain things to do and work hard when I got up here," Crowell said.

Rzbakfromwaybak

This forum is titled.. "SEC Sports"....... news about our conference schools is supposed to be posted here.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: maxdavid on June 29, 2012, 06:15:47 pm
Crowell has been kicked off the team.  Malzahn probably has him on speed dial.

Yeah.....Gus may let Dyer talk to him.....Dyer knows a little about the gun issues.... getting kicked off teams, etc.....
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

Aston Martin 8 dude

Quote from: 3BoarsDown on June 29, 2012, 07:40:05 am
Isiah Crowell arrested with a concealed weapon in a school zone.

Kid has had several chances.

Seems to be a pattern with overhyped UGA RB's.
Right on this one. Over the weekend he's apparently "history".

iluvmyslute89

Ivr decided on a team name, PigofDestiny TrollingWarMidgets

jbcarol

Video: ESPN's Mark Schlabach on Isaiah Crowell's options after being dismissed from Georgia following weapons charges.

He mentions FCS to play immediately and points to Mettenberger to LSU and Dyer to Arkansas State as examples of SEC players staying in FBS after sitting out a season.

The_Bionic_Pig

S.E.C. FORUM!!!
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

jbcarol

Scarblog: TBs and Guns

QuoteMike Dyer and Isaiah Crowell had a lot in common.

Why would a big-time tailback at a traditional SEC football power in a small Southern town have a gun?

Would he need a gun, or would he want a gun?

Would he need it for protection or would he want it for status?

Would he need it to fend off the kind of person that likes to challenge a young man headed toward big bucks in the NFL, or would he want it to show off to his male friends and his wannabe female friends?

Dyer's gun, as he admitted as a witness at the trial of former teammate Antonio Goodwin, was part of an armed robbery. Goodwin was sentenced to 15 years in jail for that crime, and three other former teammates await their trials from the same incident.

How did they get Dyer's gun?

Dyer testified that one of the accused, Dakota Mosley, asked for it, but Dyer said that he declined to give it to him. Later that night, Dyer testified, Goodwin joined him at Dyer's apartment and retrieved the gun.

[A hard hitting prosecutor might have followed up at that point. Perhaps Dyer's smirking, laughing, off-hand remarks and singing intimidated the prosecutor or threw him or her off.]

Dyer was suspended from Auburn's bowl game last season and transferred to Arkansas State.

jbcarol

With Twitter the college athlete is empowered to generate his own personal PR machine and not be dependent on the SID. Crowell's public diary on that fateful may lend clues to his upcoming arrest and dismissal from UGa. The text is paraphrased to keep it SFW/H.

June 28, first thing: "Wake up, hit my knees and thank the MAN.."

Early devotional thought: "Young women of questionable character lie. Some don't. Many persons with whom I associate will change. My real friends will not. That's a promise."

Crowell misses a perhaps deceased friend named Steve O.

Crowell is agitated with some "clowns" who "got caught".

Crowell posts a pic of him and a friend "cooling it in the 'A'".

Crowell tweets [while driving?]: "Allllll yall better stay in yall lane before yall cause a accident!"

Crowell: "Watch yo friends closely, and the folks you dont like!" (Could have been Marc Anthony)

Crowell: "If u ever cross me, ima get some payback!"

Crowell: "Put yo hands on a real [peer] and its 1st degree!!!!! Get it?"

Crowell: "Ill never change on my [true pals] and dats on my unborn SON"

June 29, morning after arrest and release:

I love all my real ppl thats with me..god got me so who can be against me?

June 30: Hateeee! I gotta visit this weekend .. i made a mistake and ima bounce bad. Its all a test...i wont fold!

July 1: Only God can judge me, everybody make mistakes. Learn from it and move forward ..dats becoming a man..it feel good when you bounce back!

jbcarol

Crowell is facing up to five years in prison and/or probation on the felony weapons charges that landed him in jail this past Friday.

QuoteAccording to criminal defense attorneys contacted by The Atlanta Journal-Constitution on Monday, Crowell likely will get probation since he does not have a previous criminal history.

"It depends on if they want to make an example of him," said Tom Kemp, a criminal defense attorney in Atlanta who was a prosecutor in DeKalb County for six years. "The prosecutor could seek some prison time, but I doubt they will. They may seek some combination of probation and maybe some county time, six months, 30 days, something in that range."

Kim Stephens, a criminal defense attorney in Athens, agrees.

"He could probably enter a first-offender plea and and get probation so that he could transfer somewhere else that would agree to let him come in," said Stephens, an All-SEC offensive lineman for the Bulldogs in the 1980s. "They would probably dismiss the possession on school property charge because of the questions of the constitutionality of it and use a first-offender plea on the other two, would be my guess. But with no criminal history it's probably a probation case."

Both lawyers believe Crowell will be looking to resolve his case as quickly as possible in order to get on with his life and career rather than vigorously fighting the charges.

"That charge of possession of a weapon with a filed-off serial number is a problem," Stephens said. "So realistically he could use first offender on it if he was trying to get rid of it quickly. That would keep him from having a felony conviction on his record and more than likely result in probation and he could get it behind him sooner rather than later. Otherwise, if they don't indict him for six months or more, all the sudden he's got it hanging over his head to a point that it could keep him playing a year from now.

"If he's going to move his life forward he needs to try to get it over with."

jbcarol

"He has not made up his mind," Mom Debbie Crowell said Thursday.

QuoteUGAsports said Crowell would enroll at Alabama State on Wednesday, although a school official refused to confirm or deny the development, the website reported.

jbcarol

Crowell chooses FCS school Alabama State over JUCO route

QuoteState coach Reggie Barlow confirmed Crowell's transfer in a phone conversation Thursday evening. He said the rising sophomore has already registered for classes at the Football Championship Subdivision (formerly Division I-AA) school in Montgomery, Ala., and will begin classes on Monday. Pending the outcome of his court case on three weapons charges, Crowell will play football for the Hornets this fall.

"We're going to show him how we do things and let him turn the page," said Barlow...

Crowell this week retained the services of high-profile Atlanta criminal defense lawyer Steve Sadow to represent him on those charges.

jbcarol

Isaiah Crowell is hot topic at SWAC media day

QuoteHis presence helped make the Hornets the preseason favorite to win the East Division.

jbcarol

Richt addresses Crowell's dismissal

Quote"There's been more attrition in the last couple years than there's been since I've been at Georgia," Richt said Thursday morning at SEC media days. "But I think sometimes that happens. We'll still have plenty of guys to field a team."

"No decision to dismiss a guy from the team is an easy decision," Richt said. "It's always tough because I care very much about all these guys and having to make those kinds of decisions are tough. But in the end, I think we did what's in the best interest of the program and I really do wish Isaiah the very best in his future. Hopefully things work out for him."