Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How do you all feel about Fox's broadcast?

Started by 311Hog, January 07, 2012, 12:35:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ICEman

One issue that seems apropos, is that FOX's broadcast team unanimously picked KState to win over the Razorbacks.  To prevent them from eating crow, they have to instinctively pull for the Wildcats to win the ball game.  Therefore, their on-air commentary has to be tinged with KState bias.
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

31to6

Quote from: ICEman on January 07, 2012, 01:19:05 pm
One issue that seems apropos, is that FOX's broadcast team unanimously picked KState to win over the Razorbacks.  To prevent them from eating crow, they have to instinctively pull for the Wildcats to win the ball game.  Therefore, their on-air commentary has to be tinged with KState bias.
That's why it is unprofessional for the crew calling the game to pick a team.

ESPN never does it. If you notice on Gameday they don't pick games they are calling later in the day.

DenverHogFan

Quote from: mindtoxicity on January 07, 2012, 12:58:55 am
No. That wasn't it. They all picked K-State to win before the game started. The commentary was so terrible that LSU fans were texting me about how blatantly biased it was.

Just got home from Dallas to hear from several sources how terribly biased the coverage was.  Of course, being at the game, I had no idea.  My mom said that many of her friends she talked to today had turned the TV audio off and listened to radio coverage about midway through the 2nd quarter.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: 311Hog on January 07, 2012, 01:21:26 am
honestly frick Chuck to. we are all terrorist amirite? i will never forgive him for what he said about us.

Hey look it's chemical Hog Ali...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Razorbackwarrior79

An both announcers both made statements about some of our coaches being on the staff for Bobby when he was at JACKSONVILLE. I wanted to reach through the TV and slap Charles Davis and say "ATLANTA you moron!"

Hogsooey

Quote from: Razorbackwarrior79 on January 07, 2012, 05:34:27 pm
An both announcers both made statements about some of our coaches being on the staff for Bobby when he was at JACKSONVILLE. I wanted to reach through the TV and slap Charles Davis and say "ATLANTA you moron!"

They were talking about Petrino and Haynes being on the Jacksonville staff together.  It was around 2001.

LargeMouthHog

Honestly guys, I think the broadcast was just about as accurate as they come....I mean the game is over, Arkansas Razorbacks win, YET we still don't have the MOMENTUM that Kansas State had the entire game.  Oh did you realize there is a quarterback named TEBOW?  :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:

NatureCoast

I'm embarrassed to say this, but Fox's coverage made me long for ESPN...

Razorbackwarrior79

Quote from: Hogsooey on January 07, 2012, 05:40:30 pm
They were talking about Petrino and Haynes being on the Jacksonville staff together.  It was around 2001.

Thanks for clarifying!

Randy Cavender

It was sorry! If you didn't know better you'd thought KSU was the greatest thing since slice bread!

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: 31to6 on January 07, 2012, 04:54:53 pm
That's why it is unprofessional for the crew calling the game to pick a team.

ESPN never does it. If you notice on Gameday they don't pick games they are calling later in the day.

Very minor point here, but the crew calling the game (Gus and Charles Davis) did not make picks.  It was the "studio" guys who just happened to have their set right by the field.  ESPN studio guys do make picks, it's just the play-by-play and analyst that don't.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

g.lynn

If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

There is nothing wrong with the Hogs, that cannot be cured by what is right with the Hogs!

Athog

Athletes pigs feet

I believe it was the most biased broadcast I've ever seen.. it was so bad to the point they only showed arkansas band when we scored.. the rest of the time it was all k state. fox should be ashamed should be unbiased for both teams in a bowl game.. m allen was horrible I'm surprised they were not upset that s klein was not voted to win the heisman.. when they put the first 2 points on the board fox sh ows k state fans acting like they were blowing us out and the tv crew were puppet on a string just made me sick..

hogcods8

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 07, 2012, 10:18:39 am
Two parts to this question.

As far as picture quality, graphics (hey, who doesn't love Cleatus??), all the visual stuff, one of the best broadcasts I can remember.

Concerning the audio, it shouldn't surprise anybody that there are lots of complaints.  Fox had done just a handfull of college games all year, and none involving us.  The announcers were foreign to us, and their knowledge of all things SEC and UA seemed very weak.  Face it, we get so used to Verne and Gary on CBS, and the various crews on ESPN, that these 'new' guys sound odd to us. 

In a perfect world, we would play our bowl game on ABC with Musberger and Herbsteit in the booth.  You may not like them, but it's sort of like Dickie V in basketball - if he's at your game it means it's the best game of the day.
Musberger is the worst announcer in the business these days. He should have retired or been forced out years ago.

texhog

If I were just a casual observer and had only audio but couldn't actually see the game, this is what I would have thought about the game based on the commentary:
- KSU faithful taking over DFW
- KSU picked 8th in their conference but Snyder resurrected them again
- KSU was the underdog in many of their games this year but because they have such heart and determination, they won 10 games
- KSU was behind in several of their games this year by double digits but because of their toughness, came back and won most of them
- KSU was not playing up to their potential with very uncharacteristic penalties and sloppiness
- punt return for TD was because KSU didn't contain the edge (not because JA ability or outstanding blocks)
- Arkansas had 10 points without getting a first down
- KSU defense was outstanding holding the potent Hogs offense to FG's
- At halftime, Moose and Allen basically said the reason KSU was losing was because of the way they were very uncharacteristically playing; not much about what the Hogs defense was doing
- basically the entire takeaway from the game was that KSU lost the game because they just weren't up to their normal sharpness due to a long layoff and didn't execute like normal.  Very little acknowledgement of what Arkansas did to affect that performance.  Everything was about what KSU did or did not due.  They overachieved getting to 10 wins and the cotton bowl and just didn't play well. 
I dont understand why they had such an agenda to play this angle but they sure seemed to want KSU to win.

98hogs

Play by play guy was ok.  Color commentator was horrible. Other talking heads leaned KSU all the way.

ChicoHog

Quote from: Razorfox on January 07, 2012, 12:47:13 am
I thought they made the game look as big and as important as a BCS game.  So overall, except for the Big 12 team bias, I thought it was pretty good. 
Good point.  It seems like they were hyping it up beyond what it was but since it's their only bowl game I can understand why.  And the announcers aren't biased, they are just trying to keep the casual viewers interested in the game.  The network knows all the Hog fans, wildcat fans and big CFB fans will watch regardless.  They need the casual fan to stay tuned to make money and continue to broadcast these games. 

Mr. Porkleone

HogFanLR

January 07, 2012, 08:03:33 pm #119 Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 08:05:20 pm by HogFanLR
Quote from: fearless_leader on January 07, 2012, 08:46:04 am
Victim mentality here boys.  Fox has nothing against us, neither Gus Johnson nor Charles Davis have anything against us.  Kansas State was a great story this year and deserved lots of good comments - and got them.  So did our team and they got them too.

Quit listening for announcer bias.  You'll always hear it whether it's there or not.

while I agree, we can let this happen, in this case, I think you are wrong.  The bias was probably less about disliking us tho and more about not knowing anything about us. 

My mother in law. which lives in texas, and does not watch a lot of football called afterwords to ask if that was a K-state broadcast crew.  I can assure you she was not looking for a bias. 

On the good side, the picture quality with Dtv was great. 

SweetSassyMolassy

Our friend who is a Maryland fan (bless his heart) came over today, and the first thing he said was, "Those announcers sure weren't for your Hogs, were they?" 

Unrelated to bias, I just thought it seemed they felt too much pressure to talk.  I don't know if it's Gus Johnson's basketball history, but it just seemed he just would not stop talking.  Football games do not need a constant stream of words.  It was really noticeable after they did the injury update on the kid taken to the hospital, "that's great, that's what you gotta do, get em checked out quickly..."

Hog N Bama

FOX should change their name to BIAS and that applies to their national news station too. It is a total joke for a broadcast network, top to bottom. :puke: :puke:

Bigdaddyhogfan

I started listening to the Fox broadcast and honestly had to turn the sound down and put up with 6 - 8 second delay with the radio broadcast. It became very evident with K-State adoration 2 minutes in. I was really disapointed in Gus Johnson.

Hoggish1

January 08, 2012, 10:52:18 am #123 Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 11:10:49 am by Hoggish1
I enjoyed it with the sound off.  Great picture, graphics, etc.  A little late getting the play clock up, however.  I guess they don't use that much in the Big-12 (-4 +2 ?)

Slacker

I LOL'd when when they compared K-State's Klein to Tebow.

HognitiveDissonance

I hate it when people whine about perceived broadcaster bias. I actively try not to look for it. But you couldn't avoid this, folks. For whatever reason, the Fox broadcast was definitely pro-KState. Since we were dominating the game, it was more amusing than irritating.

However, when catching the ESPN highlights later than night, Stan Verrett gave this teaser promo when going to commercial: "...and did Arkansas have another collapse?". I'm really not sure what he was referencing, other than perhaps Arkansas losing a 14-0 lead in the big LSU game. Lost to a better team, so hardly a 'collapse'. That comment was more irritating than the Fox guys were. But, Verrette is an LSU fan from New Orleans and makes sure to mention New Orleans on every broadcast.

I don't think an ESPN bias exists. However, when it comes to individual broadcasters, sure. If you listen long enough, you can generally tell who likes a certain team and who doesn't.