Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

All Things Malik Monk

Started by cardsNhogs, December 16, 2011, 02:25:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawg Red

Quote from: -Blu on January 30, 2014, 05:30:42 pm
Touche'  It's just hard to see Malik going anywhere else.  I mean has someone ever had a strong of family ties with a school and been so close to the school and went somewhere else?  His brother and cousin are both hogs, and his brother is a GA currently on the basketball staff.  That would be a very upsetting upset if someone stole him away.  I understand being cautious and not assuming, but anyone can see he's ours to lose, and that's probably what the experts are basing their opinions off of.

I guess, but I don't know what they're looking at.

As I said, why hasn't he committed yet?

Hawg Red

Quote from: Hoggycronopolis on January 30, 2014, 10:08:36 pm
actually, technically yes. 10% is more than infinite times greater than 0% lol.

If you're assuming there's a 0% chance on Frazier. He isn't signed yet. I don't expect us to flip him at all, but I'm just saying I'm not entirely convinced we have a better shot with Monk. I think the story with Monk could end up playing out like it did with Archie Goodwin, who I would compare to Josh Frazier.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 31, 2014, 09:07:47 am

You're right, it's anybody's guess right now. Let's not forget that Madden was set to sign with Ole Miss the morning of his signing day until Mickelson and Madden's nephew swayed him enough to disappoint both his mother (Ole Miss) and sister (Baylor).

Beard originally chose Mizzou, Goodwin chose UK, and KeVaughn Allen is supposedly favoring three stronger programs at this time. Nothing is guaranteed. Even with Monk's mother being given a better job, providing Malik a better high school education, and providing Marcus with an introductory job into coaching college basketball, Malik still hasn't committed. 
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

yraciv

Quote from: Legball13 on January 30, 2014, 11:47:39 pm
Maybe he want to go back to EPC where he LEARNED to play the game! amazing how small school produce talent! He may like to comforts of home.. He could play at the smallest school in the state and is going to get the same chance to play at any college he want to attend. He really owes it to the people of EPC to come back for all the support they gave him over the first 16 years of his life! Course now EPC doesnt have a job that marcus can have for bringing him back..

I love how EPC folks think they are entitled. Why does he owe you?  You witnessed the kid blossom into an elite player. He'll still rep you and call it home, just like Madden does. He just moved on 3 years earlier, but it was going to happen eventually. 

Noone is saying you can't come out of a small school. Obviously it has been done before, but Malik has moved on to a program with tougher competition, and to a school which can find him marquee nonconference games to help him grow as a player. It also helps that he is around his brother, and has the opportunity to practice with D1 players now. I'm sure Lepanto did a great job bringing him up, but it is evident he has moved on to bigger opportunities. He isn't coming back, nor should he.

-Blu

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 31, 2014, 09:07:47 am

He's 2016, can guys commit this early? There's still so much that can happen.  I don't think there's any commitments at all from 2016 class yet.  I know there's only a small few in 2015 that have committed.  How early did Portis commit when he picked the hogs?

yraciv

Quote from: -Blu on January 31, 2014, 06:40:06 pm
He's 2016, can guys commit this early? There's still so much that can happen.  I don't think there's any commitments at all from 2016 class yet.  I know there's only a small few in 2015 that have committed.  How early did Portis commit when he picked the hogs?

Of course you can commit this early. USC has taken football commitments from 8th graders before, but everyone takes it with a grain of salt.  Right now there is only 3 2016 top 50 players committed.

hollywood hog

Another buzzer beater from 3 to beat Fayetteville tonight.  Had 5 in the first half and 18 in the 2nd with a couple big dunks.  STUD!!!!

TexHog188

"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody

Pigger12

Fort Dweller

Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 03, 2012, 09:43:59 pmRabid gay rampage?  That's quite a phrase.  I picture rundown neighborhoods being gentrified by angry, fit, childless, and well dressed mobs.
Quote from: sharpd1 on September 23, 2012, 08:33:21 pmSome of the people posting on here aren't good at brain stuff.
Quote from: PonderinHog on June 26, 2013, 11:15:49 pm
What if he chews a Poptart into the shape of two men holding hands - or worse?
Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 19, 2015, 10:09:07 am
Did you really click on the "report to moderator" button.  And not only that but do it on yourself? 

SONofHAM

Wow this kid is special.  2 in a row?  So clutch!
"like a wild band of Razorback hogs"

hollywood hog

hollywood hog

Quote from: SONofHAM on January 31, 2014, 10:09:51 pm
Wow this kid is special.  2 in a row?  So clutch!

These weren't just clutch 3s. Clutch 3s with guys hanging all over him

SONofHAM

Quote from: hollywood hog on January 31, 2014, 10:17:03 pm
These weren't just clutch 3s. Clutch 3s with guys hanging all over him
And from such deep range, without an open look, and having to change his shot in air. 

supersaint

This guy is more clutch than the far left pedal on an old car.
There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

yraciv

Maybe Bell has been too open, and this is what he needs. Unreal! If this kid was on the team now, he is taking the last shot no questions!

hollywood hog

Quote from: yraciv on January 31, 2014, 10:42:46 pm
Maybe Bell has been too open, and this is what he needs. Unreal! If this kid was on the team now, he is taking the last shot no questions!

Us fans need to do our part and fill up every gym he plays in as long as he's in Arkansas.  Which I don't think will be a problem at all from here out.  He's quickly becoming a legend.     

SONofHAM

I'd love to see a mashup of the two buzzer beaters

hogman99

He is pretty darn good. He is in the same class as Corliss!

HogFanatic

There are a number of kids who can hit shots like that in high school.
Hell, I remember converting a four point play once because someone told me to put one up in a dude's face.
I looked over at dude, said OK, and drained it as the guy fouled me.

Think I could have gotten away with that against an SEC opponent? Hell no.

The only reason I say this is that people are looking at high school highlights and thinking that will carry over into the collegiate game.
It won't. SEC defenders are twice as fast and twice as good. At the next level he better split that double team and go straight at the rim.

Great shot though. Clutch for sure.

jkstock04

Wow what a shot...highly contested and game on line!
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

supersaint

Quote from: HogFanatic on January 31, 2014, 11:19:52 pm
Hell, I remember converting a four point play once because someone told me to put one up in a dude's face.

The only reason I say this is that people are looking at high school highlights and thinking that will carry over into the collegiate game.
It won't. SEC defenders are twice as fast and twice as good. At the next level he better split that double team and go straight at the rim.

You should coach him.

yraciv

Quote from: HogFanatic on January 31, 2014, 11:19:52 pm

How many do hit buzzer 3s in back to back games? How many players drop 27 pts a game in the largest conference in the state. Noone is saying it will that be easy in college, but it is pretty evident he is an elite player who has a knack for the clutch shot.

hvsupastar

#1 on Bentonville looks pissed he didn't get the ball after his guy double teamed. Even after the game winner lol
"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

HogFanatic

Quote from: yraciv on January 31, 2014, 11:29:45 pm
How many do hit buzzer 3s in back to back games? How many players drop 27 pts a game in the largest conference in the state. Noone is saying it will that be easy in college, but it is pretty evident he is an elite player who has a knack for the clutch shot.

As I said, it was a clutch shot for sure. No doubt.

But at the next level that won't work.
He should have split that double and attacked the rim.
He got lucky. There is no questioning that.

I mean I am sure he felt confident it was good, because all clutch players do, but it was an extremely low percentage shot.

As for the other guy who said I should coach him, I don't think I could show him much other than that BS shot wouldn't fly if I were guarding him.

supersaint

Quote from: HogFanatic on January 31, 2014, 11:35:33 pm

I mean I am sure he felt confident it was good, because all clutch players do, but it was an extremely low percentage shot.

As for the other guy who said I should coach him, I don't think I could show him much other than that BS shot wouldn't fly if I were guarding him.

You should guard him and coach him at the same time, then.  That would make him the ultimate player.  Between your awesome D, and intense analysis, he's bound to develop. 

hvsupastar

If coach would've put me in the game in the 4th quarter, we would have won state
"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

HogFanatic

Quote from: supersaint on January 31, 2014, 11:37:27 pm
You should guard him and coach him at the same time, then.  That would make him the ultimate player.  Between your awesome D, and intense analysis, he's bound to develop.

Believe what ya want, man. I have played against players good enough to know I can lock someone down 23' away from the basket at the buzzer.

hollywood hog

Quote from: hvsupastar on January 31, 2014, 11:29:53 pm
#1 on Bentonville looks pissed he didn't get the ball after his guy double teamed. Even after the game winner lol

I noticed that right away.  He was not happy at all.  If you saw the Springdale game you know Malik does not like sharing the ball with them.  But there isn't another scorer on the team.  If he didn't take half the shots they'd be losing games. 

mckinneyhog5

He's a sophomore playing against seniors.  How did LeBron fair against the NBA coming out of High School?  Is he LeBron?  No, but then again he's a sophomore.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

hollywood hog

Quote from: HogFanatic on January 31, 2014, 11:39:20 pm
Believe what ya want, man. I have played against players good enough to know I can lock someone down 23' away from the basket at the buzzer.

7th highest ranked sophomore in the country.  You wouldn't have stopped him.  Where did you play your college ball btw?

Fort Dweller

Quote from: hollywood hog on January 31, 2014, 11:41:50 pm
7th highest ranked sophomore in the country.  You wouldn't have stopped him.  Where did you play your college ball btw?

According to Dudley, Ronnie Brewer had trouble checking him this summer.   
Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 03, 2012, 09:43:59 pmRabid gay rampage?  That's quite a phrase.  I picture rundown neighborhoods being gentrified by angry, fit, childless, and well dressed mobs.
Quote from: sharpd1 on September 23, 2012, 08:33:21 pmSome of the people posting on here aren't good at brain stuff.
Did you really click on the "report to moderator" button.  And not only that but do it on yourself? 

supersaint

Quote from: HogFanatic on January 31, 2014, 11:39:20 pm

Which players are good enough to know that you can lock someone down 23' away from the basket at the buzzer?

yraciv

He also would have probably not seen a double at the top of the key, and had an open guard in the corner. Most SEC players would trust the open man in the corner to hit the 3 and dish it.  It's irrelevant, it's a high school game, and it went in. When you hit two low percentage shots in a row, when does it start becoming high percentage? Players always take lower percentage shots at the buzzer, check NBA clutch stats. Kind of the point when you are forced to get it off as time expires.

SONofHAM

Quote from: supersaint on January 31, 2014, 11:37:27 pm
made me laugh

hollywood hog

Quote from: hvsupastar on January 31, 2014, 11:29:53 pm

I actually think #10 on the other side was more pissed.  His mom or the mother of #0 was screaming at Malik to stop shooting when I was at the Harber game. 

HogFanatic

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on January 31, 2014, 11:40:32 pm
He's a sophomore playing against seniors.  How did LeBron fair against the NBA coming out of High School?  Is he LeBron?  No, but then again he's a sophomore.

LeBron is a freak of nature. Haha
There is no contesting that sort of atheticism

Monk has the tools. My only point is a falling away 23' shot at the buzzer won't cut it at the next level. Likely not even at the JUCO level.

It was a great shot, but he dribbled side to side 28' from the basket with two dudes on him and then just threw up a damn shot.

That is NOT what you do in that situation. You split the double and if they don't foul you you go at the rim until you either have a better look or someone comes open as a big comes up to pick you up.

Again, kudos on the big shot, but that was NOT smart basketball.

I would say the same think if Michael Jordan had done it.

hollywood hog

Quote from: Fort Dweller on January 31, 2014, 11:43:53 pm

That's saying a lot.  Ronnie has those long ass Scottie Pippen like arms.  He's like a glove.

yraciv

Quote from: hollywood hog on January 31, 2014, 11:40:16 pm
I noticed that right away.  He was not happy at all.  If you saw the Springdale game you know Malik does not like sharing the ball with them.  But there isn't another scorer on the team.  If he didn't take half the shots they'd be losing games. 

#1 is Tyrik Dixon I believe. This was his team last year, and he is a pretty salty player. If Monk wasn't taking the shot you'd want him taking it.  I can see what that would be frustrating.

mckinneyhog5

The only thing you could have possibly done better then the guys guarding him would be blocking his shot. 
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: Fort Dweller on January 31, 2014, 11:43:53 pm
I hadn't heard him say that but I did hear him say that he was definitely the best athlete on the court of some pickup games that Brewer was apart of.
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

hollywood hog

Quote from: HogFanatic on January 31, 2014, 11:48:00 pm
LeBron is a freak of nature. Haha
There is no contesting that sort of atheticism

Monk has the tools. My only point is a falling away 23' shot at the buzzer won't cut it at the next level. Likely not even at the JUCO level.

It was a great shot, but he dribbled side to side 28' from the basket with two dudes on him and then just threw up a damn shot.  Malik doesn't have any shooters to dish it off to and he himself can throw a bb through a lifesaver. 

That is NOT what you do in that situation. You split the double and if they don't foul you you go at the rim until you either have a better look or someone comes open as a big comes up to pick you up.

Again, kudos on the big shot, but that was NOT smart basketball.

I would say the same think if Michael Jordan had done it.

As I recall Jordan did the same things many times.  But when he did run into a double like that he dished it off to Paxton, Armstrong, or Kerr depending on which year we talking. 

supersaint

Quote from: GreenbrierHogFan on January 31, 2014, 11:49:04 pm
I hadn't heard him say that but I did hear him say that he was definitely the best athlete on the court of some pickup games that Brewer was apart of.
He's not even the best athlete in this thread. 

hollywood hog

Quote from: yraciv on January 31, 2014, 11:48:46 pm
#1 is Tyrik Dixon I believe. This was his team last year, and he is a pretty salty player. If Monk wasn't taking the shot you'd want him taking it.  I can see what that would be frustrating.

He lit Harber up for 0 points.  And last year they had Nick Smith.  He was their star.

HogFanatic

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on January 31, 2014, 11:48:54 pm
The only thing you could have possibly done better then the guys guarding him would be blocking his shot.

Or stripped the ball.
Dude was lucky.

Not saying I WOULD have ripped him or stuffed him, but he wouldn't have hit the shot.
Nope.
Can't believe it.

That was extremely lucky and poorly played basketball.
Yes he made the shot. But good grief, I have seen players at all levels hit shots like that.
Multiple shots in a row even.

If someone is lighting you up, you better do something about it.
I would have been on that dude like white on rice. Even if his quickness made me want to pass out. Right in his face.

Don't believe me. I don't care.
Hell, any of us could settle it in the gym.
;)

supersaint

Quote from: HogFanatic on January 31, 2014, 11:58:22 pm
Or stripped the ball.
Dude was lucky.

Not saying I WOULD have ripped him or stuffed him, but he wouldn't have hit the shot.
Nope.
Can't believe it.

Yes he made the shot. But good grief, I have seen players at all levels hit shots like that.

I would have been on that dude like white on rice. Even if his quickness made me want to pass out. Right in his face.

;)

gross

Fort Dweller

Quote from: GreenbrierHogFan on January 31, 2014, 11:49:04 pm

^that's actually a more accurate statement.  Thanks.  Still high praise.

hollywood hog

Quote from: HogFanatic on January 31, 2014, 11:58:22 pm
Or stripped the ball.
Dude was lucky.

Nope.
Can't believe it.

;)

Kid would do whatever he wanted to do against you.  Not dissing you.  He's just that good.