Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

All Things Malik Monk

Started by cardsNhogs, December 16, 2011, 02:25:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hollywood hog

Quote from: RazorPiggie            (Matt D) on January 29, 2014, 10:40:41 am
VB was the fullest I have ever seen when they came down to play a couple of weeks ago.

As it should've been.  This may be the only year we get a chance to see him in NWA.  I hope he's back next year but I think it's 50/50.  Everyone here needs to go out and see the show.  The turnout for games in Bentonville is an absolute joke.  We showed up 30 minutes early last night in Springdale and it was already standing room only.  That's the type of crowd I would expect for each game, especially the ones in Bentonville. 

hollywood hog

Quote from: Notorious H.O.G on January 29, 2014, 11:16:26 am
Here you go... Dunk and shot... http://www.hoopmixtape.com/malik-monk-insane-buzzerbeater-win-game-posterizes-defender/

Thank you.  That video still doesn't do the dunk justice.  We had worked our way into a couple seats by that point in the NW corner of the gym. I don't think we could have seen it from any better angle than we got.  It was freaking awesome. 

Dirty

Thanks for the videos!

lstewart

My son plays for Springdale, and they usually have good crowds. Last night was the first time I have seen Monk. Clearly he is very talented, and those last two plays he made were clutch. That said, I think I read he was 5 for 23  from the field, and shot 18 free throws, so last night was probably one of his weaker performances until the final minute. Springdale let that one get away for sure. Not likely to beat Bentonville on the road in the return match, as it is unlikely Monk will shoot so poorly from the field again.

yraciv

January 29, 2014, 03:28:05 pm #104 Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 07:42:43 pm by yraciv
Quote from: lstewart on January 29, 2014, 03:20:22 pm
My son plays for Springdale, and they usually have good crowds. Last night was the first time I have seen Monk. Clearly he is very talented, and those last two plays he made were clutch. That said, I think I read he was 5 for 23  from the field, and shot 18 free throws, so last night was probably one of his weaker performances until the final minute. Springdale let that one get away for sure. Not likely to beat Bentonville on the road in the return match, as it is unlikely Monk will shoot so poorly from the field again.

He was due for an off game, after a 43 point night. It happens! That being said, you EPC fans are delusional who think he is coming back. Lets see run and gun playing small time ball against Buffalo Island Central or stay at a school that can have me traveling to showcase out of conference games. I'm not sure if Monk will be in Bentonville until he graduates, prep school is always enticing, but he certainly isn't going back to playing 2A Ball.

rwspear

bentonville's weight room cost more than some of the gyms in 2A.

Hawg Red

He'd be an idiot to go back to EPC.

Lieutenant Dan

Quote from: RazorPiggie            (Matt D) on January 29, 2014, 10:40:41 am
VB was the fullest I have ever seen when they came down to play a couple of weeks ago.

And that was an awesome game.  Worst charging call I've ever seen.  Monk is as good as advertised but there was another future Hog on the same court.  No reason the Hogs shouldn't be offering the 6'9" sophomore from VB.  Surely they are.  He is also legit. 

hollywood hog

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 29, 2014, 04:15:40 pm
He'd be an idiot to go back to EPC.

Hey, sometimes home is where the heart is.  Not saying he should go back, but I wouldn't call him "an idiot" for wanting to go home.  I really think he should seek out the toughest competition he can find.   Bentonville needs to work on getting invites to some of the region's best tournaments if they want to keep Malik and get him more prepared for the next level.  The sky is the limit for this young man.  Especially if he grows a couple more inches.  He won't need em for the college game, but they'll come in handy when he goes pro.

hollywood hog

Quote from: Lieutenant Dan on January 29, 2014, 04:52:04 pm
And that was an awesome game.  Worst charging call I've ever seen.  Monk is as good as advertised but there was another future Hog on the same court.  No reason the Hogs shouldn't be offering the 6'9" sophomore from VB.  Surely they are.  He is also legit.

U should've seen the officiating last night.  Malik got hammered with around 30 seconds to a minute left.  The ref right by the play wasn't even gonna call it.  The guy 20 foot away had to call it.  Malik was hit so hard it could've been called a flagrant. 

Hawg Red

Quote from: hollywood hog on January 29, 2014, 05:16:19 pm
Hey, sometimes home is where the heart is.  Not saying he should go back, but I wouldn't call him "an idiot" for wanting to go home. 

I would. (Well, obviously.)

There's no major college teams or NBA teams in EPC. His mom and brother (and cousin) are in NWA. He needs to keep moving forward as a player and moving back to EPC is a step back. Would be a dumb decision.

hollywood hog

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 29, 2014, 05:22:18 pm

There's no major college teams or NBA teams in EPC. His mom and brother (and cousin) are in NWA. He needs to keep moving forward as a player and moving back to EPC is a step back. Would be a dumb decision.

Not if he's miserable here.  Idk how he feels about NWA.  But James Anderson was awesome out of Junction City and he didn't have Malik's skills.  "Idiot" just seems a bit harsh. 

Hawg Red

Quote from: hollywood hog on January 29, 2014, 05:28:55 pm
Not if he's miserable here.  Idk how he feels about NWA.  But James Anderson was awesome out of Junction City and he didn't have Malik's skills.  "Idiot" just seems a bit harsh.

What does James Anderson have to do with anything?

hollywood hog

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 29, 2014, 05:43:21 pm
What does James Anderson have to do with anything?

Small town player that did just fine.  That's what. 

NorthChuckHog

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 29, 2014, 05:22:18 pm

There aren't any major college teams or NBA teams in Bentonville either

Hawg Red

Quote from: hollywood hog on January 29, 2014, 05:48:00 pm
Small town player that did just fine.  That's what.

Okay.

I never said small town players can't do "just fine." Monk was doing "just fine" at EPC. But he's moved on. So, in my opinion, to go back to a lesser situation would be not smart (in crasser terms - dumb or idiotic). James Anderson never took a step back. Didn't take a step forward either, but he never went to better situation and then chose to go back to a lesser situation.

I'm also not saying that every small school player should transfer to a higher classification, but Malik Monk did. He actually did go ahead and do that, and I don't think it makes sense to go back. NWA is not a miserable place and he's with family there. Also has more girls to choose from in NWA. But the main thing is that he gets to play against much better competition just about every single game and that's going to make him a better ball player. Maybe James Anderson could have been two-and-done at Oklahoma State, gotten drafted higher, and subsequently made more money and secured a better standing within the NBA than what actually happened had he pursued better competition in HS? It's plausible, but I'm veering off here. My point is that Monk shouldn't go back because there's no upside to it.

Hawg Red

Quote from: NorthChuckHog on January 29, 2014, 05:50:26 pm
There aren't any major college teams or NBA teams in Bentonville either

There isn't. But we're talking about running from a better situation (Bentonville) because you're homesick. Well, that isn't going to be an option once he goes to college and the NBA. That was, quite clearly, my point, but thanks for playing.

Hawg Red

If you guys are wanting me to take back the "idiot" thing, fine. But my basic point remains the same.

hollywood hog

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 29, 2014, 05:53:44 pm
Okay.

I never said small town players can't do "just fine." Monk was doing "just fine" at EPC. But he's moved on. So, in my opinion, to go back to a lesser situation would be not smart (in crasser terms - dumb or idiotic). James Anderson never took a step back. Didn't take a step forward either, but he never went to better situation and then chose to go back to a lesser situation.

I'm also not saying that every small school player should transfer to a higher classification, but Malik Monk did. He actually did go ahead and do that, and I don't think it makes sense to go back. NWA is not a miserable place and he's with family there. Also has more girls to choose from in NWA. But the main thing is that he gets to play against much better competition just about every single game and that's going to make him a better ball player. Maybe James Anderson could have been two-and-done at Oklahoma State, gotten drafted higher, and subsequently made more money and secured a better standing within the NBA than what actually happened had he pursued better competition in HS? It's plausible, but I'm veering off here. My point is that Monk shouldn't go back because there's no upside to it.

I don't think it's in the best interest of his game to stay in Arkansas for his HS ball, period.  I think private school out east would be best for him.  But it's his life to live.  If he stays in Bentonville they need to get themselves into the best tournaments they can find and schedule as many LR, Tulsa, and Kansas City teams as possible.

Pigs in Space

Quote from: yraciv on January 29, 2014, 03:28:05 pm
He was due for an off game, after a 43 point night. It happens! That being said, you EPC fans are delusional who think he is coming back. Lets see run and gun playing small time ball against Buffalo Island Christian or stay at a school that can have me traveling to showcase out of conference games. I'm not sure if Monk will be in Bentonville until he graduates, prep school is always enticing, but he certainly isn't going back to playing 2A Ball.

First of all let's get it straight since its my alma mater...it's Buffalo Island "Central"...and they have won 4 state championships.   :)  That aside, if you look at the best players in this state in the last 5-7 years and the ones coming up in the next 5 a lot of them are not at the 7A level, and several were at the 3A-4A-5A level.  20 years ago the 7A dominated but that gap has greatly narrowed in part I think to AAU.  Malik being at Bentonville is really about the overall school environment and being closer to his brother than the level of basketball.  Most kids today are judged by AAU performance more than they are high school performance anyway. 

yraciv

January 29, 2014, 07:54:27 pm #120 Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 12:19:25 am by yraciv
Quote from: Pigs in Space on January 29, 2014, 06:43:22 pm
First of all let's get it straight since its my alma mater...it's Buffalo Island "Central"...and they have won 4 state championships.   :)  That aside, if you look at the best players in this state in the last 5-7 years and the ones coming up in the next 5 a lot of them are not at the 7A level, and several were at the 3A-4A-5A level.  20 years ago the 7A dominated but that gap has greatly narrowed in part I think to AAU.  Malik being at Bentonville is really about the overall school environment and being closer to his brother than the level of basketball.  Most kids today are judged by AAU performance more than they are high school performance anyway. 

You got me! Don't know why I put that, but I'm very familiar with Buffalo Island Central and Brooks Taylor was a dominant player there. He also struggled to contribute much in D1 Ball, and got challenged very little in High School like another 2A star James Anderson. I agree that AAU ball is the calling card and people don't care near as much what you do facing defenses designed to stop you in high school, but I'm of the opinion better competition will always benefit your development and help you reach your potential faster.  Malik is definitely getting a better opportunity for that at Bentonville.

hollywood hog

Why in the hell does it take more than a day to get 30 posts on Malik's thread and 20 minutes for Frazier to reach 150?  Paaathetic.  Makes us look like we could care less about basketball.  A couple players like Malik come to Fayetteville and we are back in a big way.  Mr Frazier on the other hand might not even make an impact.

Hawg Red

Quote from: hollywood hog on January 29, 2014, 06:01:30 pm
I don't think it's in the best interest of his game to stay in Arkansas for his HS ball, period.  I think private school out east would be best for him.  But it's his life to live.  If he stays in Bentonville they need to get themselves into the best tournaments they can find and schedule as many LR, Tulsa, and Kansas City teams as possible.

I agree that going to a prep school would be even better than playing for Bentonville.

-Blu

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 29, 2014, 09:03:01 pm
I agree that going to a prep school would be even better than playing for Bentonville.

Prep School would be a good option for him.  But, for us razorback fans we need him to stay up here in NWA, keep him coming to our home games, keep a good relationship with his brother, and have a member of the coaching staff at every single one of his home games, and even get him to start building friendships with our players and hanging out with them and working out with them in the off-season. 

supersaint

EPC has produced 5,000,000 times more d1 basketball players than BHS.
There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

Hog_Fink

i'm an Arkansas fan, i'd love to see this kid in a razorback uniform,
but i absolutely think going to a prep school & getting out of Arkansas may be best for him to succeed & become the best player he can.
Mike's system might not be best for him if he's trying to go 1 and done.

yraciv

Quote from: supersaint on January 29, 2014, 10:33:24 pm

You sure about that? Nick Smith of Bentonville is playing D1 ball right now, and the great Guy Whitney went to Bentonville as well. And I'm hardly a Bentonville expert, so who knows who I'm missing.

Hawg Red

Quote from: supersaint on January 29, 2014, 10:33:24 pm

Where does that fall in the argument?

No one is saying him playing D1 ball is in jeopardy by going back to EPC. But he's playing against better competition at Bentonville. There can be no debate about that. You want a young player to hone his skills against the best possible competition.

Reservoir Hogs

Quote from: yraciv on January 30, 2014, 12:33:30 am
You sure about that? Nick Smith of Bentonville is playing D1 ball right now, and the great Guy Whitney went to Bentonville as well. And I'm hardly a Bentonville expert, so who knows who I'm missing.

Well everyone knows EPC has produced 10k D1 ballers

RazorPiggie

Quote from: hollywood hog on January 29, 2014, 08:10:30 pm
Why in the hell does it take more than a day to get 30 posts on Malik's thread and 20 minutes for Frazier to reach 150?  Paaathetic.  Makes us look like we could care less about basketball.  A couple players like Malik come to Fayetteville and we are back in a big way.  Mr Frazier on the other hand might not even make an impact.

Because its a week from Signing Day and 2+ years until Monk can sign anywhere.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: Lieutenant Dan on January 29, 2014, 04:52:04 pm

Was a terrible call. VB should have won that game. Yes I do believe Smith will definitely go D1. He needs to hit the weights this offseason but he still has a lot of time before he signs. Will be fun to watch VB over the next couple of years.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Take how many D1 players a school produced out of the equation.

Where would you rather live:  EPC or Bentonville/NWA  Let me say that again EPC or Bentonville/NWA.  I'm not just talking about the individual player but his family.  EPC or Bentonville/NWA. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

wholehog92

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on January 30, 2014, 09:48:54 am
Take how many D1 players a school produced out of the equation.

Where would you rather live:  EPC or Bentonville/NWA  Let me say that again EPC or Bentonville/NWA.  I'm not just talking about the individual player but his family.  EPC or Bentonville/NWA. 

Entertaining clients tonight and going to one of the best art museums in the country and the best steak house I've been to short of New Orleans and Vegas.  I'm not going to EPC for that privilege. 
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

Big Nasty 34

Which steakhouse? Just curios! Lol

ricepig

Quote from: wholehog92 on January 30, 2014, 10:54:49 am
Entertaining clients tonight and going to one of the best art museums in the country and the best steak house I've been to short of New Orleans and Vegas.  I'm not going to EPC for that privilege. 

I'm guessing you've never driven down the road to Jerry 's in Trumann, not far from Lepanto, I also think Johnny Cash's house/birthplace is right down the road. So, they got that going for them.....

RazorPiggie

Quote from: ricepig on January 30, 2014, 11:10:42 am
I'm guessing you've never driven down the road to Jerry 's in Trumann, not far from Lepanto, I also think Johnny Cash's house/birthplace is right down the road. So, they got that going for them.....

And duck hunting.

secfan1

Quote from: HoneyNuttPetrinoos on January 28, 2014, 11:17:46 pm
Malik could have started for us last year. If you NWA guys don't watch him play it could be his last. We trying to get him back at EPC.

I can assure you he isn't going back there.

wholehog92

Quote from: ZoneBuster34 on January 30, 2014, 11:06:46 am
Which steakhouse? Just curios! Lol

Mr. Bs

Quote from: ricepig on January 30, 2014, 11:10:42 am

Been there.  Food is good, service is not up to the conversation.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

ricepig

Quote from: wholehog92 on January 30, 2014, 11:49:06 am
Mr. Bs

Been there.  Food is good, service is not up to the conversation.

Well, one doesn't go to Jerry 's for service, last time I was there, we had to go to the Food Giant for  our own sour cream.

hollywood hog

Quote from: RazorPiggie            (Matt D) on January 30, 2014, 09:30:05 am
Because its a week from Signing Day and 2+ years until Monk can sign anywhere.

We're a hell of a lot closer to signing Monk than we ever were Frazier.  Frazier was around 0%.

Hawg Red

Quote from: hollywood hog on January 30, 2014, 01:05:19 pm
We're a hell of a lot closer to signing Monk than we ever were Frazier.  Frazier was around 0%.

I'm not sure it could be stated with any confidence that we're any closer to getting Monk.

hollywood hog

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 30, 2014, 01:06:34 pm
I'm not sure it could be stated with any confidence that we're any closer to getting Monk.

I'd have to say we are at least 10%. 

Hawg Red

Quote from: hollywood hog on January 30, 2014, 01:21:24 pm
I'd have to say we are at least 10%.

10% is much closer to 0% than 100%.

hollywood hog

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 30, 2014, 01:44:28 pm

No kidding.  But it's also a lot better than being ruled out completely. 

-Blu

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 30, 2014, 01:44:28 pm

It's higher than 10%, all the experts that have made predictions have him going to Arkansas, I don't know what information they are going off of.  Also, about a month ago, maybe longer now.... my cousin has classes with Marcus and she's friends with him, she asked him about Malik, and she said Marcus wants him to be a hog but said the decision is up to him, and he really doesn't even know what he wants to do yet.

But, you have to figure if he's at most of our home games, he definitely has interest in us.  I haven't heard of him scheduling visits to any other school or even talking about having interest in any other school.  If anybody had to make a guess right now most people would say Hogs, because at this point it's really the only school that he's shown any type of interest in.

Hawg Red

Quote from: hollywood hog on January 30, 2014, 02:35:11 pm
No kidding.  But it's also a lot better than being ruled out completely.

A lot?

Hawg Red

Quote from: -Blu on January 30, 2014, 03:00:01 pm
It's higher than 10%, all the experts that have made predictions have him going to Arkansas, I don't know what information they are going off of.

Exactly. They don't know. Just guessing/assuming.

Quote from: -Blu on January 30, 2014, 03:00:01 pmAlso, about a month ago, maybe longer now.... my cousin has classes with Marcus and she's friends with him, she asked him about Malik, and she said Marcus wants him to be a hog but said the decision is up to him, and he really doesn't even know what he wants to do yet.

Which makes the experts opinions pointless because not even Marcus knows what he's going to do.

Quote from: -Blu on January 30, 2014, 03:00:01 pmBut, you have to figure if he's at most of our home games, he definitely has interest in us.  I haven't heard of him scheduling visits to any other school or even talking about having interest in any other school.  If anybody had to make a guess right now most people would say Hogs, because at this point it's really the only school that he's shown any type of interest in.

Or he could just be going to the games because it's an SEC team in the immediate area. I don't know. Don't pretend to. But I do that if he absolutely wanted to be a Hog, he has a friggin' offer that he can take them up on whenever he so chooses. I wouldn't be surprised if we weren't even in the running but also if we were as well.

-Blu

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 30, 2014, 03:10:37 pm

Exactly. They don't know. Just guessing/assuming.

Which makes the experts opinions pointless because not even Marcus knows what he's going to do.

Or he could just be going to the games because it's an SEC team in the immediate area. I don't know. Don't pretend to. But I do that if he absolutely wanted to be a Hog, he has a friggin' offer that he can take them up on whenever he so chooses. I wouldn't be surprised if we weren't even in the running but also if we were as well.

Touche'  It's just hard to see Malik going anywhere else.  I mean has someone ever had a strong of family ties with a school and been so close to the school and went somewhere else?  His brother and cousin are both hogs, and his brother is a GA currently on the basketball staff.  That would be a very upsetting upset if someone stole him away.  I understand being cautious and not assuming, but anyone can see he's ours to lose, and that's probably what the experts are basing their opinions off of.

Hoggycronopolis

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 30, 2014, 03:07:29 pm
A lot?
actually, technically yes. 10% is more than infinite times greater than 0% lol.
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they SMITE you, and then you win"  
-Ghandi

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"
-George Carlin

Legball13

Quote from: yraciv on January 29, 2014, 03:28:05 pm
He was due for an off game, after a 43 point night. It happens! That being said, you EPC fans are delusional who think he is coming back. Lets see run and gun playing small time ball against Buffalo Island Central or stay at a school that can have me traveling to showcase out of conference games. I'm not sure if Monk will be in Bentonville until he graduates, prep school is always enticing, but he certainly isn't going back to playing 2A Ball.

Maybe he want to go back to EPC where he LEARNED to play the game! amazing how small school produce talent! He may like to comforts of home.. He could play at the smallest school in the state and is going to get the same chance to play at any college he want to attend. He really owes it to the people of EPC to come back for all the support they gave him over the first 16 years of his life! Course now EPC doesnt have a job that marcus can have for bringing him back..