Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

All Things Malik Monk

Started by cardsNhogs, December 16, 2011, 02:25:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

cardsNhogs

8th grade EPC and I believe the little brother of Marcus Monk. I watched him play last year and will again tonight. This kid is gonna be real good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AITW4amIrJM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

claycohog

Watched him tuesday night... he had 3 dunks in the game with last being off an oop off the backboard.

Danny J

How big is he now? Is he a good ball handler?

flagstaffhog

GEEEEZ! 8th grader dunking? I'm impressed.
Go HOGS Go!

canonhog

Canonhog

Hootiethehog

i think i was able to get the backboard in eighth grade lol
Please note that my screen name is not an endorsement of any former coach at the University of Arkansas, nor does it mean I am in cahoots with the group that produces a yearly high school football magazine.
It is simply an old nickname I picked up 20 years ago with "thehog" added on to it.

BulldogBasketball

Kid has the potential to be a top 5 player in his class.

Had 6 dunks in a game earlier this year.

clutch

Malik is pretty dang salty. He's going to wind up being a better basketball player than Marcus.

Danny J

Quote from: clutch on December 18, 2011, 06:17:25 pm
Malik is pretty dang salty. He's going to wind up being a better basketball player than Marcus.
Do you guys know if he can handle the ball and take guys off the dribble?

RyanLR

He doesn't really look like a guard. He plays like a small forward.

strawhog

Does he play football?

marc the hog fan

Don't take this too seriously.

clutch

Quote from: headhawg7 on December 18, 2011, 07:20:28 pm
Do you guys know if he can handle the ball and take guys off the dribble?

He can right now against, but he really doesn't have any competition. He won't be the guard type I don't think. At least he isn't right now. He can handle the ball, but like was mentioned he plays more like a forward. I'm sure he could develop into more of a guard type if he were to quit growing anytime soon.

HogimusMaximus

Quote from: strawhog on December 18, 2011, 08:29:20 pm
Does he play football?

If he is 6'4" now he should end up 6'7" or taller.  I would like a huge receiver (who also plays b-ball in the offseason) 

clutch

Quote from: HogimusMaximus on December 19, 2011, 03:27:12 am
If he is 6'4" now he should end up 6'7" or taller.  I would like a huge receiver (who also plays b-ball in the offseason) 

Marcus was probably 6'4" at that age too. He quit growing in about 10th grade. Maybe that won't happen to Malik.

jcul28

The size of kids the days...goodness. I have a pitcher on my baseball team I coach that is 5'10 1/2"(1" taller than me) and weighs 180....he turned 11 in late October. My sons basketball team has players 5'8, 5'7, 5'9 and one is 6'1 1/2" 213#!!!(In 6th grade!) my poor son is 4'8" and it cracks me up seeing him and his buddies walking through the gym. Lol

clutch

Quote from: jcul28 on December 19, 2011, 09:55:21 pm
The size of kids the days...goodness. I have a pitcher on my baseball team I coach that is 5'10 1/2"(1" taller than me) and weighs 180....he turned 11 in late October. My sons basketball team has players 5'8, 5'7, 5'9 and one is 6'1 1/2" 213#!!!(In 6th grade!) my poor son is 4'8" and it cracks me up seeing him and his buddies walking through the gym. Lol

No kidding. There is another kid on the EPC Jr. High team that's going to be really big too. Dez Barnes. He is about 6'2-6'3 in the 7th grade. I remember seeing him one day last year in the elementary school. I was trying to figure out why an 18 year old was in a 6th grade classroom.

OptimusHog

clutch

Watching Malik for the first time this year. He an definitely beat people off the dribble. He is running point night. A lot quicker than I remember him being. Sees the court well.

Dogtown Donkey

How hard are Mike and Co. recruiting Allen and Monk right now?

RazorAg

October 09, 2012, 02:34:46 pm #20 Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 02:36:52 pm by RazorAg
Quote from: Dogtown Donkey on October 09, 2012, 02:28:37 pm
How hard are Mike and Co. recruiting Allen and Monk right now?

Very hard according to what I've seen and read.  These two have the potential to be Bobby Portis/Archie Goodwin/James Anderson level prospects.

OnTheHillHogFan

Bobby Portis retweeted several writers this weekend who were talking about how impressive Monk was at the camp
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

secfan1

Seen them all play multiple times for multiple reasons. Little Monk will be the best to come out of EPC.

ricepig

Quote from: secfan1 on October 09, 2012, 05:27:52 pm
Seen them all play multiple times for multiple reasons. Little Monk will be the best to come out of EPC.

Is he going to play up this year, or on the Jr high?

poloprince

$PoLoPrInCe$

IronHog

Quote from: RazorAg on October 09, 2012, 02:24:53 pm

We have a potential great one here.  As I've said, between he and KeVaughn Allen, we have the chance to sign two elite wide receivers in consecutive years.

Welcome to the SEC.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

mhuff

Quote from: RazorAg on October 09, 2012, 02:24:53 pm
Over the weekend, Malik Monk, 2016 bball prospect and Marcus' little brother, turned some heads at the USA Developmental Camp.  He put himself in a decent position to make the team as an underclassman (team will be made up of 2015 and 2016 players).

Monk displayed his elite athleticism and good scoring ability and was reviewed favorably as a relative unknown to a lot of people.

We have a potential great one here.  As I've said, between he and KeVaughn Allen, we have the chance to sign two elite guards in consecutive years.

RazorAg, thanks for info. Monk sounds like he will make it to the top. The talent interested in Arkansas the next four years is interesting.

hogfreak

October 10, 2012, 08:39:32 pm #27 Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 06:54:02 pm by hogfreak
I have also seen where Adrian Moore was ranked 13 in the nation for the 2016 class out if Conway. So your looking at 3 big time gaurds in 2 years.

Hogz87

October 11, 2012, 06:54:19 pm #28 Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 06:56:21 pm by Hogz87
Quote from: ricepig on October 09, 2012, 05:34:11 pm
Is he going to play up this year, or on the Jr high?

I think you mean Sr High, and I'm pretty sure he is. 

And for some reason I thought Malik was shorter than what I just saw him listed as on various recruiting services.  6'2"-6'3" as a freshman?  Means he'll probably be in the 6'5"-6'6" range by the time he graduates, if not taller, unless he's one of those kids that's been 6'2"-6'3" since the 6th or 7th grade or something.

ricepig

Quote from: Hogz87 on October 11, 2012, 06:54:19 pm
I think you mean Sr High, and I'm pretty sure he is. 

And for some reason I thought Malik was shorter than what I just saw him listed as on various recruiting services.  6'2"-6'3" as a freshman?  Means he'll probably be in the 6'5"-6'6" range by the time he graduates, if not taller, unless he's one of those kids that's been 6'2"-6'3" since the 6th or 7th grade or something.

Actually was wondering if he was going to play on the Jr high or Sr high team. Some kids play up, some don't, did know if it had been decided.

hookemhogs5

Quote from: ricepig on October 11, 2012, 07:21:22 pm
Actually was wondering if he was going to play on the Jr high or Sr high team. Some kids play up, some don't, did know if it had been decided.
He'll play on the high school level. The kid will be an elite talent by the time he gets to Fayetteville.

ricepig

Quote from: hookemhogs5 on October 11, 2012, 07:46:27 pm
He'll play on the high school level. The kid will be an elite talent by the time he gets to Fayetteville.

Ok  EPC plays im the Hurricane Classic in the first of Dec in Jonesboro. I know Clarksville and the Lee boys are back in it, and Jonesboro has a couple of kids who will play D-I. It should be a good tournament.

Hogz87

October 11, 2012, 08:04:41 pm #32 Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 08:06:35 pm by Hogz87
Quote from: ricepig on October 11, 2012, 07:21:22 pm

Pretty sure you can't do that.  I know you had five quarters a night so, if a kid plays two quarters in the JV game, he could only play three quarters in the varsity game.  Pretty sure it doesn't work that way from junior high to senior high.  In fact, I'm semi-certain that once he steps on the court in an official senior high game he can't go back and play a junior high game. 

Anyway, wish the Hurricane Classic wasn't so far away so I could see him.  I'll probably be at the 2A state tournament, though, so I should get to see Malik ten. 

At least the Coke Classic is only 15 minutes away.  LR Hall and Portis and Clarksville and Lee were in that last year.  Hoping they're both in it this year.

ricepig

Quote from: Hogz87 on October 11, 2012, 08:04:41 pm
Pretty sure you can't do that.  I know you had five quarters a night so, if a kid plays two quarters in the JV game, he could only play three quarters in the varsity game.  Pretty sure it doesn't work that way from junior high to senior high.  In fact, I'm semi-certain that once he steps on the court in an official senior high game he can't go back and play a junior high game. 

Anyway, wish the Hurricane Classic wasn't so far away so I could see him.  I'll probably be at the 2A state tournament, though, so I should get to see Malik ten. 

At least the Coke Classic is only 15 minutes away.  LR Hall and Portis and Clarksville and Lee were in that last year.  Hoping they're both in it this year.

I realize that, my question was/is he going to play this year for the EPC Jr high, or for EPC Sr high. I have yet to hear from anyone from Lepanto on which team he will play for this summer. Two years ago Jonesboro had a freshman who played up and started, last year a freshman played for MacArthur wanting to stay with his teamates. He later moved up durimg the state tournament and averaged about 18-20 a game.

Hogz87

Quote from: ricepig on October 11, 2012, 08:27:17 pm
I realize that, my question was/is he going to play this year for the EPC Jr high, or for EPC Sr high. I have yet to hear from anyone from Lepanto on which team he will play for this summer. Two years ago Jonesboro had a freshman who played up and started, last year a freshman played for MacArthur wanting to stay with his teamates. He later moved up durimg the state tournament and averaged about 18-20 a game.

Ok, got ya.  I do text back-and-forth with a guy (for scores during basketball season) from the area who's an EPC fan and he told me a few weeks ago he's pretty sure Malik is playing on the senior high team. 

HoneyNuttPetrinoos

October 12, 2012, 11:15:00 am #35 Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 10:56:11 pm by HoneyNuttPetrinoos
Monk for a fact will be on the sr high team at the start of the season..  He has nothing more to prove at the jr high level..  He and Sturdivant will be a great back court for EPC this year.. .. 

cardsNhogs

Seen Monk play Jr. High Game last year as an 8th Grader and he is legit. He will move up this year and play Sr. High for EPC. Last year looked to be about 6-1 and playing Point guard the game I watched.

Hogz87

For a little 2A school EPC produces some high quality athletes.  Isn't there another Madden boy around the same age as Malik?

kingofdequeen

HoneyNuttPetrinoos

Quote from: Hogz87 on October 12, 2012, 03:24:25 pm
For a little 2A school EPC produces some high quality athletes.  Isn't there another Madden boy around the same age as Malik?

Not a Madden but a Barnes..  Darrius Barnes little brother.  He was qb last few years for epc and was a state farm finalist in 2a..  The next Madden kid is 3..  He'll prob be an athelete also :)

supersaint

There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

hogman99

Can they shoot the basketball?  We have enough players that can dunk and when they leave there are plenty that can replace them.  We need players that can shoot the basketball because that allows the dunkers room to do what they do. With no shooters, teams will pack it in and the dunkers will look good during warmups.

supersaint

There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

Beaverfever

Man at 15 you don't even know how tall they are going to be.  Kid could still grow 6 inches. 

Hawgzinbowlz

I watched a 6'1" 9th grader turn into a 6'9" center on my sons high school team. Just keep the ball handling skills intact as growth occurs.

ifghog

A bit off subject but does anyone out there remember a player back in the early 90's named Edrick Truitt? He was one of the best I have ever seen. He went to ASU but didn't make the grades, Nothing to do with skill. He had like 6 kids. Some should be getting old enough to matter. I know he was from Elaine. BTW he passed away in 2010 from a tragic car accident. Just curious. Thanks

Duckhog89

Birminghog

Quote from: cardsNhogs on October 12, 2012, 03:11:14 pm
Seen Monk play Jr. High Game last year as an 8th Grader and he is legit. He will move up this year and play Sr. High for EPC. Last year looked to be about 6-1 and playing Point guard the game I watched.

Is his school 7-9 Jr. High & 10-12 High School or 6-8 Middle School & 9-12 High School?  From the discussion here, I presume the former?

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: Birminghog on February 10, 2013, 12:37:19 am
Is his school 7-9 Jr. High & 10-12 High School or 6-8 Middle School & 9-12 High School?  From the discussion here, I presume the former?
It doesn't matter if 9th grade is considered apart of junior high or high school. He can play with the HS varsity team regardless.
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"