Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cecil Newton interview

Started by 3BoarsDown, July 01, 2011, 07:54:26 am

Previous topic - Next topic

3BoarsDown

July 01, 2011, 07:54:26 am Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 07:56:01 am by 3BoarsDown

"We really just want it to calm down, let the smoke settle, let the dust settle," Newton said Thursday in a rare interview. "The truth is out there. They have it in their files."

"I don't really want to go back and rehash that and speak along the lines of what I did or didn't do, what was said, what should have been said. I really don't even want to open that can of worms because the investigation, from what they say, is ongoing. I've been transparent throughout the whole process."

Asked whether he solicited money from Auburn, Newton said: "According to what the NCAA findings are, that's what we're going with."

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/06/30/2420296/cecil-newton-scandal-doesnt-define.html

rhog1

Doesn't get anymore of a yes than that.

hoghiker

That appears to be a bomb from where I'm sitting. If the answer was in fact within the context of what was ask, it sounds like an admission of solicitation. If Mr. Newton was found to have solicited money for Cam, I'm assuming that is enough to get Auburn in trouble, right? Would the NCAA have to prove money was exchanged for his playing or would the solicitation be enough to sink the Plainsmen?

hawgeathawg

Cam and Cecil no longer need Auburn, and are only looking to the future. If I was a Tigger fan, I think that would scare me the most.

Steef

Quote from: hawgeathawg on July 01, 2011, 11:16:11 am
Cam and Cecil no longer need Auburn, and are only looking to the future. If I was a Tigger fan, I think that would scare me the most.

Wonder if Cecil reported that $180K to the IRS?

Wonder how they'd feel about that?

regi

I have NEVER wanted anybody to go down as much as I do that POS program at the cow college. They are "trailor trash" as it gets in College Football. Cecil will burn them in the end.

3BoarsDown

I can't wait until Cecil has his Congressman Weiner moment and changes his tune.

You can bet he'll find a way to profit off his story. He's one money hungry Pastor.

regi

Quote from: 3BoarsDown on July 01, 2011, 11:25:20 am
I can't wait until Cecil has his Congressman Weiner moment and changes his tune.

You can bet he'll find a way to profit off his story. He's one money hungry Pastor.

This. He is still deep in pockets around Atlanta. He will spill his guts to somebody for the right price I am sure.

dhornjr1

Quote from: 3BoarsDown on July 01, 2011, 07:54:26 am
"We really just want it to calm down, let the smoke settle, let the dust settle," Newton said Thursday in a rare interview. "The truth is out there. They have it in their files."

"I don't really want to go back and rehash that and speak along the lines of what I did or didn't do, what was said, what should have been said. I really don't even want to open that can of worms because the investigation, from what they say, is ongoing. I've been transparent throughout the whole process."

Asked whether he solicited money from Auburn, Newton said: "According to what the NCAA findings are, that's what we're going with."

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/06/30/2420296/cecil-newton-scandal-doesnt-define.html

Wow. Instead of just saying an unequivocal "No" when asked if he solicited money from Auburn, he basically says, "The NCAA couldn't prove I did it and that's all that matters".

Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall.

Fort Dweller

Quote from: dhornjr1 on July 01, 2011, 11:34:37 am
Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall.

Nice to see someone actually quote Proverbs correctly.  +1
Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 03, 2012, 09:43:59 pmRabid gay rampage?  That's quite a phrase.  I picture rundown neighborhoods being gentrified by angry, fit, childless, and well dressed mobs.
Quote from: sharpd1 on September 23, 2012, 08:33:21 pmSome of the people posting on here aren't good at brain stuff.
Quote from: PonderinHog on June 26, 2013, 11:15:49 pm
What if he chews a Poptart into the shape of two men holding hands - or worse?
Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 19, 2015, 10:09:07 am
Did you really click on the "report to moderator" button.  And not only that but do it on yourself? 

dhornjr1

Quote from: Fort Dweller on July 01, 2011, 01:25:19 pm
Nice to see someone actually quote Proverbs correctly.  +1

I get something right every once in a great while. :)

BigSexyHog

Can't wait to see another so called Man of God fall down.
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

Inhogswetrust

another !@#^()%$^**(())_%#@#@!!!*(*&*  preacher.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

RollHogTide

It is my understanding (based on one of the sports talk shows on Sirius/XM College Sports) that regardless of whether Cecil asked money from Auburn, there is a loophole that will prevent Auburn from suffering any NCAA rules violations - the NCAA has vowed to close that loophole.  However, also based on that same show - it appears that the NCAA is digging deeper to see if any money exchanged hands.   There is some speculation that something has been uncovered - but, nobody will name sources.   

Pigneous Rock

Hmmmmm.....then what about the Albert Means case?

HognitiveDissonance

I truly wonder how many Auburn fans, particularly the sane, intelligent ones, think the Newtons are clean and the title season was on the up-and-up?
If hooked to a polygraph and asked this question

Q. "Do you think Auburn's season was legitimate?

how many would answer 'No"?

RollHogTide

Quote from: ARKYULTRARUNNER on July 01, 2011, 10:09:19 pm
Hmmmmm…..then what about the Albert Means case?
Money exchanged hands - he, his HS coaches, his family, and Alabama boosters were guilty as sin.  We (Bama) were lucky we didn't hammered much worse.

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on July 01, 2011, 10:37:15 pm
I truly wonder how many Auburn fans, particularly the sane, intelligent ones, think the Newtons are clean and the title season was on the up-and-up?
If hooked to a polygraph and asked this question

Q. "Do you think Auburn's season was legitimate?

how many would answer 'No"?

They'd still lie.  The problem is - they don't care.  You will not find a SINGLE Auburn fan that would say - they are ashamed of the negative publicity, instead they would much rather talk about Harvey Updyke and how ashamed Bama fans should be that THEY would poison their beloved trees.  If you actually come across one that almost admits there was something wrong, they'll say, "Well Bama has done it for years."

You can't reason with them - hell, you can't even be nice to them.  They have lawyered up and have taken a vow of silence.

But I will say - Chizik is a good guy (no sacarsm - we have mutual friends who hang out with him and his wife) and what you see on TV is the way he really is.  I know religion doesn't necessarily have a place on this forum, but he is a devout generous guy.  It may turn out like Tressel and OSU, but if he is putting on a show - he has his best friends fooled.

N HOG

ONE MORE TIME -- The SEC rules ALREADY IN PLACE clearly state that solicitation for money makes that athlete ineligible at ANY conference institution. There is no gray area at all on this, contrary to what Slive and Emmert have said.

The commissioner chose to ignore the rule. The only mystery to me is why the conference ADs and other officials have let Slive let it slide.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: 3BoarsDown on July 01, 2011, 11:25:20 am

I do remember several months ago, Cecil mentioning about writing a book about this whole episode...
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

Rzbakfromwaybak

July 02, 2011, 01:58:36 am #19 Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 02:00:09 am by Rzbakfromwaybak
Quote from: RollHogTide on July 01, 2011, 09:38:26 pm
It is my understanding (based on one of the sports talk shows on Sirius/XM College Sports) that regardless of whether Cecil asked money from Auburn, there is a loophole that will prevent Auburn from suffering any NCAA rules violations - the NCAA has vowed to close that loophole.  However, also based on that same show - it appears that the NCAA is digging deeper to see if any money exchanged hands.   There is some speculation that something has been uncovered - but, nobody will name sources.

Although the NCAA indicated there was a loophole, I don't believe there actually was.  The NCAA sort of "invented" the loophole for this case.  Common sense tells you if someone in your family is soliciting money for your services, that is a violation whether the player knew about it or not.  Also ridiculous to believe that Cam (or any other player) would not know about it.

Of course, last year the NCAA did not use much common sense on rulings.  It was more about bowl money than rules, or right & wrong.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

tiber

Quote from: RollHogTide on July 01, 2011, 11:37:21 pm

But I will say - Chizik is a good guy (no sacarsm - we have mutual friends who hang out with him and his wife) and what you see on TV is the way he really is.  I know religion doesn't necessarily have a place on this forum, but he is a devout generous guy.  It may turn out like Tressel and OSU, but if he is putting on a show - he has his best friends fooled.

I don't care how religous that loser is.  You know and we know that after a 5-19 showing at his previous stint there were two reasons and only two reasons why he was hired at Auburn. 
To say 'yes' and to look the other way.

Hiring 5-19 coaches...
Using Limos for recruiting tools.
Cecil.
Trooper Taylor?  Really?

It's so obvious it's pathetic.  In fact pathetic is the term that comes to mind when I think of barner.  This dumbass generation of barner can't even cheat without being pathetically obvious.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: N HOG on July 02, 2011, 12:17:40 am
ONE MORE TIME -- The SEC rules ALREADY IN PLACE clearly state that solicitation for money makes that athlete ineligible at ANY conference institution. There is no gray area at all on this, contrary to what Slive and Emmert have said.

The commissioner chose to ignore the rule. The only mystery to me is why the conference ADs and other officials have let Slive let it slide.

The NCAA ruled that there was no solid proof that Cecil Newton solicited from Auburn, even though he had solicited from Miss St. They also ruled that there was no solid proof that Cam Newton knew what his father was doing.
USC complained along those lines(AD Pat Haden questioned publicly how that was possible---he said I thought the family was an extension of the player?). I believe this was the loophole.

aristotle

Quote from: RollHogTide on July 01, 2011, 11:37:21 pm

I bet friends of Cecil say the same sort of things about him. After all, he's a pastor.

HamHands

Quote from: steefhog on July 01, 2011, 11:19:40 am

The IRS is an Auburn fan.
One day at a time.

Steef

N HOG

July 05, 2011, 10:14:13 pm #25 Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 11:57:07 pm by N HOG
Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on July 05, 2011, 10:26:43 am
The NCAA ruled that there was no solid proof that Cecil Newton solicited from Auburn, even though he had solicited from Miss St. They also ruled that there was no solid proof that Cam Newton knew what his father was doing.
USC complained along those lines(AD Pat Haden questioned publicly how that was possible---he said I thought the family was an extension of the player?). I believe this was the loophole.

Please re-read my post.

I said it was a clear violation of an SEC RULE, not an NCAA Rule.

The SEC bylaw in question is 14.01.3.2

It reads:

"If any member of his/her family receives or agrees to receive, directly or indirectly, any aid or assistance beyond or in addition to that permitted by the Bylaws of this Conference such student-athlete shall be ineligible for competition in any intercollegiate sport within the Conference for the remainder of his/her college career."

By offering Cam to MSU for $180,000, Cecil CLEARLY "agreed to receive" assistance that should have made Cam ineligible FOREVER at any SEC school. You can Google some of Slive's ridiculous "explanations" as to why this rule supposedly wasn't violated.

But anyone on a third grade reading level can see the rule was blatanly broken. Why the other institutions allowed this to happen remains a mystery to me.

As far as Cam's knowledge of the solicitation, I'll leave it up to others to speculate as to whether he knew about it, but it doesn't matter anyway -- he should never have been eligible after the information came out on the solicitation.

PonderinHog

Charitable contribution?

Nashville Fan

Probably yes as a donation to Non-profit organization
Pittman or Bust!

Inhogswetrust

Has anybody seen my laptop?  ;)
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Mike_e

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 10, 2011, 10:28:10 am
Has anybody seen my laptop?  ;)

Is that it out there on the sidewalk?  It's under the copy of that test.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Mike_e on July 11, 2011, 02:54:58 pm
Is that it out there on the sidewalk?  It's under the copy of that test.

If it has Cam's name written on it that's it!

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: BigSexyHog on July 01, 2011, 02:31:08 pm
Can't wait to see another so called Man of God fall down.

and take down the Gus gang in the process.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

NoNC4Tubs

Quote from: N HOG on July 05, 2011, 10:14:13 pm
Please re-read my post.

I said it was a clear violation of an SEC RULE, not an NCAA Rule.

The SEC bylaw in question is 14.01.3.2

It reads:

"If any member of his/her family receives or agrees to receive, directly or indirectly, any aid or assistance beyond or in addition to that permitted by the Bylaws of this Conference such student-athlete shall be ineligible for competition in any intercollegiate sport within the Conference for the remainder of his/her college career."

By offering Cam to MSU for $180,000, Cecil CLEARLY "agreed to receive" assistance that should have made Cam ineligible FOREVER at any SEC school. You can Google some of Slive's ridiculous "explanations" as to why this rule supposedly wasn't violated.

But anyone on a third grade reading level can see the rule was blatanly broken. Why the other institutions allowed this to happen remains a mystery to me.

As far as Cam's knowledge of the solicitation, I'll leave it up to others to speculate as to whether he knew about it, but it doesn't matter anyway -- he should never have been eligible after the information came out on the solicitation.

Exactly!

Slive blew it!!

He should be decommissioned!!