Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gruden QB show

Started by 311Hog, April 24, 2011, 01:32:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Pyrotechnician

Quote from: David Dykes on April 24, 2011, 10:07:41 am
Yet he almost beat Mallett on the wonderlic, I dont think Newton is that dumb.  He did beat Jake Locker on the test and was only 1 pt behind Tebow.  Newton will be better than Vince Young.  Mallett definetely knew more than the other qb's, Petrino has done a great job.   If Mallett has a good offensive line he will be ok, if he doesnt he will struggle big time in my opinion.

Yeah, but what QB in the NFL Won't suffer if they have a bad O-line?  Even scrambling QB's need a good O-line or they'll get squashed in the backfield.  Cam will find out quickly that lateral speed in the NFL is much faster than the college game.
SEC Referees Oath concerning the Arkansas Razorbacks.

I swear to throw the flag...the whole flag and nothing but the flag so help me Mike Slive!

Breems

Quote from: Pyrotechnician on April 25, 2011, 12:27:38 am
Yeah, but what QB in the NFL Won't suffer if they have a bad O-line? 

Blaine Gabbert.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

M L (bassplayer)

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 24, 2011, 10:40:59 am
From a intellectual standpoint, perhaps Newton isn't dumb, but he is so far behind the curve of knowing how to call a play or run a pro-style type of offense, that he may not ever catch-up. For this reason I think that whomever drafts him will end up trying to utilize him in a H-Back type position and may occasionally throw him in at QB to run some variation of the Wildcat formation which could include smaller percentages of passing.

He has great athletic ability but he so far behind everyone else in the knowledge of how to run a pro-style offense that I don't think he will ever be successful as a true QB in the NFL. When you are a QB who is trying to be drafted and the only way you know how to call a play is, "36 on one", you are in big trouble.

To me the best part was Grudens "play call" questions. How complex the pro play call is. "What in Auburns playbook sounds something like this?". 36? It tells us something about the Malzahn system. That's the play?
He didn't have checkdowns. His checkdown was to run if it's not there. How about when he try'd to diagram the pass play. Couldn't do it. Tried to draw something, but NO.  All he did was fake the run and throw the pass. Also the quick count at the goal line. They had to run it a hundred times in practice. Really?
He kept saying "Simplistic". I never realized how much.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Bassplayer on April 25, 2011, 07:25:33 am
To me the best part was Grudens "play call" questions. How complex the pro play call is. "What in Auburns playbook sounds something like this?". 36? It tells us something about the Malzahn system. That's the play?
He didn't have checkdowns. His checkdown was to run if it's not there. How about when he try'd to diagram the pass play. Couldn't do it. Tried to draw something, but NO.  All he did was fake the run and throw the pass. Also the quick count at the goal line. They had to run it a hundred times in practice. Really?
Scam is the personification of the fourth letter of the KISS principle. ;)

EastexHawg

Quote from: Cure on April 24, 2011, 07:17:36 pm
That swag translated into a National Championship. I dislike what may have taken place behind the scenes, but he is a winner and they have the hardware to prove it. 

Vince Young ran much the same "snap it to the big kid and let him run...or occasionally throw a pass to a wide open receiver downfield" offense at Texas.  He won the 2005 national championship, so he "has the hardware", too.  How have his skills translated to the NFL?

Other QBs who "have hardware" include Charlie Ward (Heisman and national championship), Jamelle Holloway (national championship), Eric Crouch (Heisman, played in BCSCG), and Tommie Frazier (back to back national championships).

I can't wait for Cam to try running six or eight QB draws in a game against Ray Lewis, any of the Pittsburgh LBs, or Urlacher.  All I'll need will be an Old Milwaukee, because it won't get no better than that.  He was flinching and falling down to avoid contact after Oregon hit him a few times.

dqhog33

Well headhawg it is easier for an athletic QB to play early because they just use their talent ie Vick, Tebow, Young where most times pocket passers need to learn the offense ie Rivers, Brees, Brady...Manning played as a rookie and was awful.  IF Mallett gets drafted by some team like the Redskins or Cardinals he will not have a good year, no offensive line and no running game is not a good recipe for maybe the most imobile QB of all time.  Cam will find some success just on athletic ability alone this year but like I said I dont think he will be worth a number 1 pick.  I  would take Darius or Peterson over all of them.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: dqhog33 on April 25, 2011, 08:48:47 am
Well headhawg it is easier for an athletic QB to play early because they just use their talent ie Vick, Tebow, Young where most times pocket passers need to learn the offense ie Rivers, Brees, Brady...Manning played as a rookie and was awful.  IF Mallett gets drafted by some team like the Redskins or Cardinals he will not have a good year, no offensive line and no running game is not a good recipe for maybe the most imobile QB of all time.  Cam will find some success just on athletic ability alone this year but like I said I dont think he will be worth a number 1 pick.  I  would take Darius or Peterson over all of them.

Cam has a lot of athletic ability. Because of that, he will be utilized in specialized situations where the team that drafts him hopes they can get him the ball in space and he can make a play. This however, will not be as a starting QB or even a QB in the vast majority of situations. His play will be limited to situational play only since he doesn't have a clue about how to read defenses, do check-downs, call audibles, call a play...in other words, how to run a pro-style offense.

You are right about Mallett. He is not a fit for every team and better minds than yours or mine in the NFL have already figured that out. His best situation will be going to a team that has a good O-Line, a RB that provides good pass protection, an established QB who he can learn from and Receivers that can catch the ball (or bat it down) in tight coverage. If he manages to land on this team, he will be very successful. See Tom Brady...they are very similar.
Go Hogs Go!

phoggy

Because of the climate of political correctness now pervading America, those of us in Arkansas will no longer be referred to as HILLBILLIES. We ask that you now refer to us as OZARK-AMERICANS.Thank you!....Now if you'll excuse me, I got possums to fry.

wholehog92

Interestingly, the NFL channel ran their program called the Brady 6 or year of the quarterback or some such.  I was flipping back and forth since I had already seen all the QB camps individually.  The part where those guys kept drafting guys based on athleticism down to the guy from Hofstra by san fran instead of the guy who was a real QB winning on the big stage was astounding.  Then they did a spot with Carr where he was saying "You won't be sorry you drafted Brady." They showed Billick saying something to the effect of Car wasn't exactly ringing the bell for this kid.  Flash forward to now and you have Carr saying "There is nothing wrong with RM's character."  I have to wonder if the NFL guys just didn't put a lot of stock into what Carr said.  He did botch the QB position that year by the way.  It was just bizarre how all these athletic guys were drafted ahead of a pocket passer and failed being played while the QB camp was going on the other channel with all these athletic guys and one pocket passer on the other network.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

PennHOG

I thought the kid from TCU came across really well.  I would have loved to see McElroy on Gruden's show.  I may be just a dumb arm chair quarterback but Mallett, Andy Dalton, and Greg McElroy seem like better fits for the pro game than these other guys.  I'm not sure about Christian Ponder maybe he's ready too.  But to put Cam, Gabbert, and Locker as the top three?  I don't know.

And just for the record.  If Andrew Luck was in the draft he'd already have a contract with the Panthers right now.  Everyone would be wondering who will be picked #2.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

wholehog92

Quote from: PennHOG on April 25, 2011, 09:49:04 am
And just for the record.  If Andrew Luck was in the draft he'd already have a contract with the Panthers right now.  Everyone would be wondering who will be picked #2.

Wrong.  They aren't allowed to negotiate contracts yet because of the lockout.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

The Hogfather

Quote from: headhawg7 on April 25, 2011, 12:20:04 am
I would take mallett, ponder and dalton over those three any day of the week.

THIS!

QBs in this draft are ranked like this:

1.  Mallett
2.  Ponder
3.  Dalton

The Hogfather

Quote from: Breems on April 25, 2011, 12:29:17 am
Blaine Gabbert.

Sacks over the past 2 seasons:

Mallett:  24, 25
Gabbert:  19, 23

And Gabbert had a dink-and-dunk spread offense.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Bassplayer on April 25, 2011, 07:25:33 am

He didn't have to make a read.  It was either throw to Lutzenkrugelheisengehts if he was open (after lowering his helmet "just slightly").  That's it.

Breems

Quote from: The Hogfather on April 25, 2011, 10:06:47 am
Sacks over the past 2 seasons:

Mallett:  24, 25
Gabbert:  19, 23

And Gabbert had a dink-and-dunk spread offense.

The Gabbert love is disgusting.  I wish he'd leave and go to Jersey Shore and let the big boys play in the NFL.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Breems on April 25, 2011, 10:10:34 am
The Gabbert love is disgusting.  I wish he'd leave and go to Jersey Shore Project Runway and let the big boys play in the NFL.

FIXT.

Breems

The Hogfather

Quote from: Breems on April 25, 2011, 10:21:37 am
WORX.

Or maybe America's Next Bust QB, hosted by Tyra Banks.

marc the hog fan

Cam will be the 1st quaterback in history to wear the number 36. The NFL does not allow flash cards on the sideline.
Don't take this too seriously.

mthawg87

How are people justifying sCam?  He is not football smart... athletic as heck and would be great at a position other than QB.  He never had checkdowns, he didn't call plays or even audibles, he doesn't know hot routes, he just doesn't have the smarts to be a good QB.  If he does, he doesn't show it.  His Gruden one on one was pathetic to say the least. 

He couldn't even draw up a play and explain who does what and how that is changed depending on defense.  He will have a struggle to make it as a QB.  I mean he will  have to really learn the game quick. 

I'd usually say best of luck to him and hope he does it but he is just so fake it makes me want to puke.

jbcarol

Word out that Pike is Red-Green color blind has Auburn scrambling.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

PennHOG

Quote from: wholehog92 on April 25, 2011, 09:57:11 am
Wrong.  They aren't allowed to negotiate contracts yet because of the lockout.

lol.  I did say I was a dumb arm chair quarterback.  I didn't think about that but you get my point.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

Cure

Quote from: IronHog on April 24, 2011, 11:16:53 pm

None of the guys mentioned #1 skill was power dive off right tackle.

Athletic is fine........playing fullback from the QB position is another.  Even Tebow threw the ball a ton in college.

Newton might be OK in the long run, but he has done 0 to justify a first round pick.
At Auburn, if it isn't broke, don't fix it. If it was proven that teams could not stop Cam when he scrambled, why would he do otherwise? He passed the ball when he needed to, but you forget that Tebow had receivers a ton of receivers that made him look that much better.

Cam isn't football smart, but he managed to win? The kid has football instincts, you can't teach that. Too many assumptions that he can't read a defense. Apparently he didn't have to all to well because he beat every team that tried to attack him.

Quote from: EastexHawg on April 25, 2011, 08:46:20 am
Vince Young ran much the same "snap it to the big kid and let him run...or occasionally throw a pass to a wide open receiver downfield" offense at Texas.  He won the 2005 national championship, so he "has the hardware", too.  How have his skills translated to the NFL?

Unlike most of the QBs you listed who's skillset didn't translate, Vince Young has actually been to a Pro Bowl and has improved every year since he has gotten into the league. It's funny how most believe he'll keep trying to go head up with athletes in the NFL. As I said before, he knew he could do that in college because he was a man among boys. Acknowledge the kid's talent and wait to see what happens before you go writing anyone off.
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

downsouthhawg72

Vick played under center at V Tech, so it wasn't that hard to get him use to playing there, so he wouldn't be a good comparison.....Plus Vick has always been able to throw 1 of the prettiest balls you have seen.....Cam can't.
DownSouthHawg

downsouthhawg72

I also looked at the Gruden show last night for the 1st time & he came at Mallett awhole lot different than he did any of the others.....Seemes like he had a small agenda on his mind against Mallett....When he was talking to the other guys, I heard alot of (you like that don't you) but not when he was talking to Mallett...Even when they threw.....He put alittle pass rush on Mallett but not the other guys....In doing all that to bring Mallett down, Mallett still beat the other guys hands down with the way he explained stuff quickly & without using the Ummmm word alot.
DownSouthHawg