Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gruden QB show

Started by 311Hog, April 24, 2011, 01:32:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

311Hog

i just watched the Draftee's recap show of the Gruden shows.

Man i dunno if it has been said or been posted but it seems to break down 2 ways for me.

Newton and other QB's seem to have their knowledge "scripted" almost you know? like play 36 is called that is what is ran and they use their god given ability instinct if you will to complete the play.

When i watched Mallett talk he seemed to know so much about the "science" of football that it was amazing to me.  Maybe it is just the homer in me i dont know really but i truly believe that X's and o"s wise Mallett is ahead of these other QB's because of the system which is why i do not understand Pike's choice i really dont.

No offense in the NFL will be like Auburn's none, zero.  He is basically a novice and he will try and use his athletic ability to make plays and that darn will not work in the NFL. i dunno

Breems

Yes, Mallett was ahead X's and O's-wise.

Cam Newton is stupid, plain and simple.  I don't just say that as an Arkansas fan.  I believe Cam is a gifted athlete, but that interview was extremely incoherent.  Even editing out the bad parts didn't help. 

Gruden babied him to death.  It was disgusting. 

At the end he gets in a cute huddle and jokes with all his friends and makes sure to check the camera's position while he's fake smiling ear to ear.  All that right before he goes home, watches videos of himself, and eats his breakfast of champions Lucky Charms with extra marshmallows. 
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

MuskogeeHogFan

April 24, 2011, 08:18:33 am #2 Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 08:20:17 am by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: Breems on April 24, 2011, 02:05:42 am
Yes, Mallett was ahead X's and O's-wise.

Cam Newton is stupid, plain and simple.  I don't just say that as an Arkansas fan.  I believe Cam is a gifted athlete, but that interview was extremely incoherent.  Even editing out the bad parts didn't help. 

Gruden babied him to death.  It was disgusting. 

At the end he gets in a cute huddle and jokes with all his friends and makes sure to check the camera's position while he's fake smiling ear to ear.  All that right before he goes home, watches videos of himself, and eats his breakfast of champions Lucky Charms with extra marshmallows. 

Not only that but it was obvious that he knows absolutely zilch about how to call a play, let alone how to run a pro-style offense that comes with checks, reads and audibles. Oh, and wasn't the little comment about his soon to be trademarked, "Cammy-Cam Juice", just so cute and endearing? He knows that the odds of him being successful in the NFL as a true QB are slim and none and he is simply out to make as much money as he can from as many sources as he can during his "15 minutes of fame". 
Go Hogs Go!

Boarcephus

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 24, 2011, 08:18:33 am
Not only that but it was obvious that he knows absolutely zilch about how to call a play, let alone how to run a pro-style offense that comes with checks, reads and audibles. Oh, and wasn't the little comment about his soon to be trademarked, "Cammy-Cam Juice", just so cute and endearing? He knows that the odds of him being successful in the NFL as a true QB are slim and none and he is simply out to make as much money as he can from as many sources as he can during his "15 minutes of fame". 

He's just before finding himself in a situation where he can't grin his way out of it.  Dumbasses are not long for the NFL playing the QB position (and he's a major one) and I don't think his ego will allow him to play TE.  His will not be a long stay and he'd just better hope his dad doesn't bleed his bank account dry. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

cowboyhog

Mallet was impresive, Cam Newton will have alot of problems, he isnt smart.
GO HOGS!!!GO COWBOYS!!!

lawhawg

Quote from: 311Hog on April 24, 2011, 01:32:52 am
i just watched the Draftee's recap show of the Gruden shows.

Man i dunno if it has been said or been posted but it seems to break down 2 ways for me.

Newton and other QB's seem to have their knowledge "scripted" almost you know? like play 36 is called that is what is ran and they use their god given ability instinct if you will to complete the play.

When i watched Mallett talk he seemed to know so much about the "science" of football that it was amazing to me.  Maybe it is just the homer in me i dont know really but i truly believe that X's and o"s wise Mallett is ahead of these other QB's because of the system which is why i do not understand Pike's choice i really dont.

No offense in the NFL will be like Auburn's none, zero.  He is basically a novice and he will try and use his athletic ability to make plays and that darn will not work in the NFL. i dunno

I agree.  Newton is to football what you are to grammar.

David Dykes

April 24, 2011, 10:07:41 am #6 Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 10:15:16 am by David Dykes
Yet he almost beat Mallett on the wonderlic, I dont think Newton is that dumb.  He did beat Jake Locker on the test and was only 1 pt behind Tebow.  Newton will be better than Vince Young.  Mallett definetely knew more than the other qb's, Petrino has done a great job.   If Mallett has a good offensive line he will be ok, if he doesnt he will struggle big time in my opinion.

smun83

So if one person makes a 20 on a test they almost beat someone that made a 25?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: David Dykes on April 24, 2011, 10:07:41 am
Yet he almost beat Mallett on the wonderlic, I dont think Newton is that dumb.  He did beat Jake Locker on the test and was only 1 pt behind Tebow.  Newton will be better than Vince Young.  Mallett definetely knew more than the other qb's, Petrino has done a great job.   If Mallett has a good offensive line he will be ok, if he doesnt he will struggle big time in my opinion.

From a intellectual standpoint, perhaps Newton isn't dumb, but he is so far behind the curve of knowing how to call a play or run a pro-style type of offense, that he may not ever catch-up. For this reason I think that whomever drafts him will end up trying to utilize him in a H-Back type position and may occasionally throw him in at QB to run some variation of the Wildcat formation which could include smaller percentages of passing.

He has great athletic ability but he so far behind everyone else in the knowledge of how to run a pro-style offense that I don't think he will ever be successful as a true QB in the NFL. When you are a QB who is trying to be drafted and the only way you know how to call a play is, "36 on one", you are in big trouble.
Go Hogs Go!

Tejano Jawg

I've only seen a few minutes of Mallett's show. I agree, I thought he was impressive. When Gruden would throw out a question while leaning back in his chair, smug look on his face, RM would go through all the back-up scenarios—what the tightend was doing, the routes all the WRs were running, and the spot the RB was to go. He would answer the question as fast as he could talk (and draw on the board). I got the sense of his football knowledge, not merely his ability to 'learn plays.'

Off topic—is Cecil channeling money to McShay?
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

MuskogeeHogFan

April 24, 2011, 11:33:44 am #10 Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 11:37:12 am by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: Tejano Jawg on April 24, 2011, 11:02:58 am
I've only seen a few minutes of Mallett's show. I agree, I thought he was impressive. When Gruden would throw out a question while leaning back in his chair, smug look on his face, RM would go through all the back-up scenarios—what the tightend was doing, the routes all the WRs were running, and the spot the RB was to go. He would answer the question as fast as he could talk (and draw on the board). I got the sense of his football knowledge, not merely his ability to 'learn plays.'

Off topic—is Cecil channeling money to McShay?

I agree, RM was impressive from a knowledge standpoint and far better than any other QB. As for Cam, he'll never make it as a "true" QB in the NFL. He's simply too far behind the power curve in terms of knowing the simple basics of running an NFL offense.
Go Hogs Go!

RD

You don't have even have to watch the whole thing to find the differences:

1.) Ryan came in t-shirt/shorts "gym rat" clothes for the film room

2.) sCam cam in a tie, sweater over a dress shirt and slacks

Basically in the end Gruden was like, well this guy is an idiot, let's go throw a football.

Boarcephus

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 24, 2011, 10:40:59 am
From a intellectual standpoint, perhaps Newton isn't dumb, but he is so far behind the curve of knowing how to call a play or run a pro-style type of offense, that he may not ever catch-up. For this reason I think that whomever drafts him will end up trying to utilize him in a H-Back type position and may occasionally throw him in at QB to run some variation of the Wildcat formation which could include smaller percentages of passing.

He has great athletic ability but he so far behind everyone else in the knowledge of how to run a pro-style offense that I don't think he will ever be successful as a true QB in the NFL. When you are a QB who is trying to be drafted and the only way you know how to call a play is, "36 on one", you are in big trouble.

I think it goes deeper than that.   This guy is a thief, a cheat and when he gets caught, he quits.  Con Artist extraordinaire.     
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Fort Dweller

You guys do realize he is taking all this negativity and putting it in his mental chamber right?
Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 03, 2012, 09:43:59 pmRabid gay rampage?  That's quite a phrase.  I picture rundown neighborhoods being gentrified by angry, fit, childless, and well dressed mobs.
Quote from: sharpd1 on September 23, 2012, 08:33:21 pmSome of the people posting on here aren't good at brain stuff.
Quote from: PonderinHog on June 26, 2013, 11:15:49 pm
What if he chews a Poptart into the shape of two men holding hands - or worse?
Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 19, 2015, 10:09:07 am
Did you really click on the "report to moderator" button.  And not only that but do it on yourself? 

oldhawg

On the other hand, he has a big heart.  After all, he took  a fall for his father.  What are you going to do if your father comes to you and says,

"Son, we're about to lose our business (church) because we can't upgrade (needed repairs on church physical plant); the government going to make us close our doors.  I'll have to lay off all our employees (church secretary, custodial staff, alter boys, etc.), and I'll have to pawn all of our hi-tech equipment (church pews, hymns, rotary telephones, typewriters, stenographic copier, etc.).  Your Mom and I will be forced out on the street (no more parsonage with free rent), and I'm not sure where the next meal for us and your brothers and sisters will come from."

"However, I have just been offered a deal by a silent partner to merge with another company and preserve our business (God works in mysterious ways).  All you have to do is take your natural God-given talents and ply your trade at Auburn instead of becoming a Razorback.  The fine folks at Auburn have assured me that, if you will play for them, I can save my business (church) and everything associated with it.  In fact, there may be a little left over to give you some pocket change while you are doing your thing down their on the plains of Alabama.  Just give it some thought, Son, while I take this check to the bank."

Well, what are you going to do?   

Breems

I just can't stand the camera-watching attitude.  He's like Bill Clinton who was joking around at a funeral, then sees the camera and starts crying.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: oldhawg on April 24, 2011, 12:23:32 pm
On the other hand, he has a big heart.  After all, he took  a fall for his father.  What are you going to do if your father comes to you and says,

"Son, we're about to lose our business (church) because we can't upgrade (needed repairs on church physical plant); the government going to make us close our doors.  I'll have to lay off all our employees (church secretary, custodial staff, alter boys, etc.), and I'll have to pawn all of our hi-tech equipment (church pews, hymns, rotary telephones, typewriters, stenographic copier, etc.).  Your Mom and I will be forced out on the street (no more parsonage with free rent), and I'm not sure where the next meal for us and your brothers and sisters will come from."

"However, I have just been offered a deal by a silent partner to merge with another company and preserve our business (God works in mysterious ways).  All you have to do is take your natural God-given talents and ply your trade at Auburn instead of becoming a Razorback Sooner.  The fine folks at Auburn have assured me that, if you will play for them, I can save my business (church) and everything associated with it.  In fact, there may be a little left over to give you some pocket change while you are doing your thing down their on the plains of Alabama.  Just give it some thought, Son, while I take this check to the bank."

Fixed that for you.
Go Hogs Go!

oldhawg

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: Fort Dweller on April 24, 2011, 12:04:16 pm
You guys do realize he is taking all this negativity and putting it in his mental chamber right?

Where it will eventually die from loneliness.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

Breems

Quote from: Fort Dweller on April 24, 2011, 12:04:16 pm

You have to understand, Fort Dweller.  Cam Newton is a gun, and all that stuff people are putting into words is his ammunition.

HogSkinsDisease

Didn't Gruden rate all of them and he had cam first and Mallett third?  Atleast I thought I read that, or am I dreaming?

dqhog33

Im in the minority on this one on this board. I think Newton will be more successfull in the NFL than Mallett, for sure next season.  That being said I don't think he will be all that great, I just think Mallett will be out of the NFL in 6 or 7 years.  I would take the Mizzou QB over both of them

Fort Dweller

Quote from: Breems on April 24, 2011, 01:39:58 pm
You have to understand, Fort Dweller.  Cam Newton is a gun, and all that stuff people are putting into words is his ammunition.

<In my best Gruden voice> Now say that again?!?!

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on April 24, 2011, 01:35:49 pm
Where it will eventually die from loneliness.

That article was epic.
Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 03, 2012, 09:43:59 pmRabid gay rampage?  That's quite a phrase.  I picture rundown neighborhoods being gentrified by angry, fit, childless, and well dressed mobs.
Quote from: sharpd1 on September 23, 2012, 08:33:21 pmSome of the people posting on here aren't good at brain stuff.
Quote from: PonderinHog on June 26, 2013, 11:15:49 pm
What if he chews a Poptart into the shape of two men holding hands - or worse?
Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 19, 2015, 10:09:07 am
Did you really click on the "report to moderator" button.  And not only that but do it on yourself? 

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Tonight.  ESPN2.  All of the Gruden QB Camps back to back to back to back to back and the Nick Fairley thing...
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

Hogwop

Quote from: oldhawg on April 24, 2011, 12:23:32 pm

"However, I have just been offered a deal by a silent partner to merge with another company and preserve our business (God works in mysterious ways).  All you have to do is take your natural God-given talents and ply your trade at Auburn instead of becoming a Razorback.  The fine folks at Auburn have assured me that, if you will play for them, I can save my business (church) and everything associated with it.  In fact, there may be a little left over to give you some pocket change while you are doing your thing down their on the plains of Alabama.  Just give it some thought, Son, while I take this check to the bank."

since when do altar boys get paid?  my church has volunteers clean it, decorate it, and do everything else.
Pigga what?!
Quote from: PonderinHog on April 16, 2018, 10:27:02 amAn emoji is worth a hundred words.
9-07-1958 - 12-2-2011 R.I.P Mom, I will always miss you and love you.

Hogwop

Quote from: dqhog33 on April 24, 2011, 01:49:45 pm
Im in the minority on this one on this board. I think Newton will be more successfull in the NFL than Mallett, for sure next season.  That being said I don't think he will be all that great, I just think Mallett will be out of the NFL in 6 or 7 years.  I would take the Mizzou QB over both of them
i remember when i was just getting into football, good times
Pigga what?!
Quote from: PonderinHog on April 16, 2018, 10:27:02 amAn emoji is worth a hundred words.
9-07-1958 - 12-2-2011 R.I.P Mom, I will always miss you and love you.

jdhogster

Cam couldn't say one thing about 'getting into the huddle', other than "look at Brady....he's got that swag"....

Your teammates aren't greeting you at the huddle going "Hey man, way to walk over here with that swag!  Show us again..."

I freaking want to throw up. 

As for Gabbert, he seems more interested in his hair.  He said nothing that impressed me and plus he is in another offense much like Cam was.....unique and worked in college, but WAY out of line from what they will see in the NFL.  He told Gruden, well "I make all the throws that gets my team in the best position to win" (or something like that)
Yet what he fails to realize is, you may be skilled at running that unique offense in college, but it won't translate to the NFL.....ask Tim Couch.

Cure

April 24, 2011, 07:17:36 pm #27 Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 07:22:53 pm by Cure
Quote from: jdhogster on April 24, 2011, 07:13:22 pm
Cam couldn't say one thing about 'getting into the huddle', other than "look at Brady....he's got that swag"....

Your teammates aren't greeting you at the huddle going "Hey man, way to walk over here with that swag!  Show us again..."

I freaking want to throw up. 

As for Gabbert, he seems more interested in his hair.  He said nothing that impressed me and plus he is in another offense much like Cam was.....unique and worked in college, but WAY out of line from what they will see in the NFL.  He told Gruden, well "I make all the throws that gets my team in the best position to win" (or something like that)
Yet what he fails to realize is, you may be skilled at running that unique offense in college, but it won't translate to the NFL.....ask Tim Couch.
That swag translated into a National Championship. I dislike what may have taken place behind the scenes, but he is a winner and they have the hardware to prove it.  Many times a QB gets written off before he even takes a snap in the NFL. Tim Couch played behind a horrible O-Line,didn't have anything worth throwing to/handing off to, and got banged up. The team that drafts Cam will get a physical freak and a very high upside. 

It's not like the kid isn't able to be coached. Time and time again he made throws when he had to at Auburn. Yes, he came from a simple offense at Auburn, but that's one of the keys to Gus' offensive philosophy. I would not count Cam out just because of an interview segment with Gruden. We all have seen what he can do on the field previously and that just so happened to be in the toughest conference in college football, give it a break.
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

jdhogster

April 24, 2011, 07:40:04 pm #28 Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 07:42:29 pm by jdhogster
Quote from: Cure on April 24, 2011, 07:17:36 pm
That swag translated into a National Championship. I dislike what may have taken place behind the scenes, but he is a winner and they have the hardware to prove it.  Many times a QB gets written off before he even takes a snap in the NFL. Tim Couch played behind a horrible O-Line,didn't have anything worth throwing to/handing off to, and got banged up. The team that drafts Cam will get a physical freak and a very high upside. 

Someone's gonna knock the swagger out of him.  Mark my word.  And you make excuses for Tim Couch....I was saying Gabbert was like Couch.  Cam no doubt is a big dude, but for both he and Gabbert, they BOTH will be playing behind horrible O-lines, thus why the teams that will probably draft them are in the TOP 10 draft positions.

We all have seen what he can do on the field previously and that just so happened to be in the toughest conference in college football, give it a break.

I think most we'll give it a break when the dude gets that $2 smile knocked off his face and is brought back to earth a bit. 

HawgPound

Quote from: jdhogster on April 24, 2011, 07:13:22 pm
Which is kind of funny since Mallett is the most Brady-like QB in the draft.

IronHog

That swag translated into a National Championship.

Being 6'6" 250 playing smash mouth football behind a senior laden OL won a NC.

Newton will be able to do some things in the NFL, but he'll suffer the same fate as every other "dual threat" QB when he is injured and can't use his feet.

Cunningham and Vick were/are great QB's when on the field........about 60% of their games due to injury.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

IronHog

Quote from: HawgPound on April 24, 2011, 07:57:15 pm
Which is kind of funny since Mallett is the most Brady-like QB in the draft.

The had a special on Brady the other night....

He looked slower than Mallett running his 40.

RAMhawg

I saw a special on the other night about Newton, not sure what is was, but it showed Cam and his father watching TV.  McShay was on the tube talking about Cam's "media only" throwing session he had after the NFL Combine.  McShay said he didn't think it was a very good idea on Cam's part to do that and that he was only playing to the media.  Daddy Newton made the comment, "That only motivates me more".  I don't like Cam but I like his father even less.

GiantFoamFingerMak

Quote from: David Dykes on April 24, 2011, 10:07:41 am
Yet he almost beat Mallett on the wonderlic, I dont think Newton is that dumb.  He did beat Jake Locker on the test and was only 1 pt behind Tebow.  Newton will be better than Vince Young.  Mallett definetely knew more than the other qb's, Petrino has done a great job.   If Mallett has a good offensive line he will be ok, if he doesnt he will struggle big time in my opinion.

Regardless of their abiltiy to learn, Ryan learned how to be a big time quarterback on the hill and cam learned how to run the option from the shotgun.
Definition of HDN:  "College football's most aptly-surnamed sideline stalker twitches and fidgets like a snake-handling minister preaching a revival in a circus tent by the river while taking crystal meth and being jabbed in the backside by a cattle prod."

cerdoman

Mallett is the best quarterback in the draft but If Newton is such a big joke why will he be the first quarterback taken and maybe the first player taken. There is someting he's doing good during this draft process. I personally think he'll be a flop in the NFL.

redeye

I really enjoyed watching Gruden's show last year and have been excited about seeing Mallett on his show ever since then. But I have to say that they've been a big disappointment this year and I mean all of them. I learned things watching them last year, but I haven't learned anything while watching this year. I guess someone didn't like the honest analysis he gave last year or he just got lazy.

GiantFoamFingerMak

Quote from: cerdoman on April 24, 2011, 08:55:41 pm
Mallett is the best quarterback in the draft but If Newton is such a big joke why will he be the first quarterback taken and maybe the first player taken. There is someting he's doing good during this draft process. I personally think he'll be a flop in the NFL.

I agree with this...either these nfl teams see so much upside in cam or the espn guys are hell bent on promoting him on bad info they are getting.
Definition of HDN:  "College football's most aptly-surnamed sideline stalker twitches and fidgets like a snake-handling minister preaching a revival in a circus tent by the river while taking crystal meth and being jabbed in the backside by a cattle prod."

SquidBilly

Cam's struggles will come from just making calls to allow his team to align properly for each play.  The calls in the NFL are so long because part of the call is O-line blocking scheme, and the rest is to tell the skill positions there assignements.  The O-linemen in the NFL will not buy into standing up and looking at the sideline to get their calls and 36 will not work in the NFL.  Cam will have some success just due to natural ability but defensive coordinators in the NFL are used to game planning against players with natural ability week in and week out.  Cam will not have the benefit of being the best player on the field at the NFL level.

arkjay19

Mallett is coming up after this commercial break, I believe.

And apparently with John Daly???

Should be interesting.

arkjay19

God, Petrino prepared him so well for the NFL.  Honestly, I think Ryan's biggest problem (over than the unsubstantiated rumors) is that out of the top 4 quarterbacks, he speaks the most "urban," to be politically correct about it.

Newton has that big smile, plays to the camera and in general puts on a good performance.  Some of the ESPN guys must be gay because Gabbert is wooing them with his American Eagle/Abercrombie & Fitch imitation.  Locker is getting them by being like Tebow: "All American" guy, toughness, athletic ability, etc.

I was surprised by how straight up Gruden is with these guys.  He doesn't seem to be AS biased like other ESPN employees.  Its hilarious how he points out instances where Mallett does things perfectly in areas where "journalists" have been fabricating weaknesses.  Examples: Gruden pointed out Mallett's wide stance so that he does not have to step into short throws.  He showed Mallett's ability to step away from pressure.  Those are the two most criticized areas of his on-field performances.

They all have potential, but after 4 months of non-stop BS I am still ginormously baffled as to how Mallett is not a lock to be the first quarterback taken.  Gabbert can be like Chad Pennington: a smart quarterback without tremendous arm strength.  The problem is that no one wants Pennington as their franchise quarterback.  If Vince Young can be a starting NFL quarterback, then Newton can too.  Newton seems to have the same exact "me" attitude as Young though.  Locker can be solid.  He has all of the tools, unlike Newton and Gabbert.  I just think his inability to lead Washington to more wins says a lot about his capabilities.

IronHog

Quote from: Mr. Prozac on April 24, 2011, 09:32:53 pm
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2011/news/story?id=6395844

That is fair.

However he understates the risks of drafting Newton, and ignores the fact that Gabbert has shown zero ability to make throws down the field.

dqhog33

Why in the world does Mallett keep getting seen hanging around Daly.  Snoop Dog was bad enough

IronHog

Quote from: dqhog33 on April 24, 2011, 10:47:51 pm
Why in the world does Mallett keep getting seen hanging around Daly.  Snoop Dog was bad enough

Vanilla Ice needs a posse too......

Root66

Quote from: dqhog33 on April 24, 2011, 10:47:51 pm

He's trying to improve his golf game because he read your post up above and needs something to fall back on.

dqhog33

He and Mallett have to be related

Cure

Quote from: IronHog on April 24, 2011, 08:07:31 pm

Being 6'6" 250 playing smash mouth football behind a senior laden OL won a NC.

Newton will be able to do some things in the NFL, but he'll suffer the same fate as every other "dual threat" QB when he is injured and can't use his feet.

Cunningham and Vick were/are great QB's when on the field........about 60% of their games due to injury.
You adjust your game as you go along, i.e. Tebow and the rest of the dual-threat QBs that have came into the league.  What makes you think he'll try to run around the field in the NFL? People said Cunningham/Vick/Young/etc couldn't do it, but they have.  By the way, all of them had pretty long careers and Vick is still playing. It doesn't take a genius to know that the speed of the game changes and I'm quite sure he recognizes that. What I'm saying is that most NFL OCs can make QBs look good regardless of what offense they came from in college. Year after year, several players who experts said their game wouldn't translate to the pro's have exceeded expectations tremendously.

If he gets decent coaching, he will be okay. I'm quite sure he'll benefit from sitting behind a QB for a while in order to transition mentally.

Quote from: jdhogster on April 24, 2011, 07:40:04 pm

Someone's gonna knock the swagger out of him.  Mark my word.  And you make excuses for Tim Couch....I was saying Gabbert was like Couch.  Cam no doubt is a big dude, but for both he and Gabbert, they BOTH will be playing behind horrible O-lines, thus why the teams that will probably draft them are in the TOP 10 draft positions.

I think most we'll give it a break when the dude gets that $2 smile knocked off his face and is brought back to earth a bit. 
Would you rather have RM behind a terrible O-Line or Cam Newton/Gabbert? It's simple.
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

HatfieldHog

Cam Newton = Jamarcus Russell

Russell was a freak of nature, but, you can't beat an NFL defense with athleticism alone, there is simply too much speed on the Defensive side of the ball. 

Newton's career and Russell's will resemble each others!
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will spend all of his money on fishing tackle.....!

IronHog

Quote from: Cure on April 24, 2011, 11:07:28 pm
You adjust your game as you go along, i.e. Tebow and the rest of the dual-threat QBs that have came into the league.  What makes you think he'll try to run around the field in the NFL? People said Cunningham/Vick/Young/etc couldn't do it, but they have.  By the way, all of them had pretty long careers and Vick is still playing. It doesn't take a genius to know that the speed of the game changes and I'm quite sure he recognizes that. What I'm saying is that most NFL OCs can make QBs look good regardless of what offense they came from in college. Year after year, several players who experts said their game wouldn't translate to the pro's have exceeded expectations tremendously.

If he gets decent coaching, he will be okay. I'm quite sure he'll benefit from sitting behind a QB for a while in order to transition mentally.
Would you rather have RM behind a terrible O-Line or Cam Newton/Gabbert? It's simple.

None of the guys mentioned #1 skill was power dive off right tackle.

Athletic is fine........playing fullback from the QB position is another.  Even Tebow threw the ball a ton in college.

Newton might be OK in the long run, but he has done 0 to justify a first round pick.

Danny J

Quote from: dqhog33 on April 24, 2011, 01:49:45 pm
LMAO....how the hell is he going to learn a pro style NFL offense and be ready to start in less than a year? You say "more successful in the nfl than mallett, for sure next season".....are you sure you even understand football? HE PLAYED ONE SEASON BEHIND A SENIOR LADEN O LINE IN A SPREAD ONE READ OFFENSE FROM THE SHOTGUN WITH IT USUALLY BEING A RUN!!!!!!! How many offenses in the nfl run that? He has NO CLUE how to read defenses and audible accordingly. His plays were precalled by gus. He will be a project. He will sit at least one season unless the starters ahead of him are injured and he is forced into action. The same goes for gabbert and locker. I would take mallett, ponder and dalton over those three any day of the week.