Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Do you think Calipari will ever

Started by 311Hog, April 02, 2011, 10:36:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

311Hog

admit that free throws are important?

I mean seriously i remember way back when that he said he didn't really care about free throws back at Memphis,and didn't really emphasize them.  I bet he regrets that or at least he should.

good lord how can you be so good at basketball and so bad at something as simple as a free throw.

Spider-Pig

Think he said "We make them when they count" or something similar

I remember hearing that during their chokejob vs Kansas a few years ago

Donny2665

Do you think he will ever win a NC? I don't think so, I think he will be that guy that can get them there or real close, but never get the actual win.
This life's hard, but it's harder if you're stupid.~George V.Higgins

Ignorance is a voluntary misfortune!~Nicolas Ling

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.~Mark Twain

Calling All Hogs

I was surprised they even made it to the final four after watching them play Arkansas this year. It was the worst coached KY basketball team I can ever remember watching. I guess he gets credit for getting his team ready when it counted.

downsouthhawg72

He probably will never win because of the way he runs his program now.....He pretty much promotes 1 & done players & that might get you wins & get you deep in the tourney but experience players gets you championships & rings....Experience players is something he will never have.
DownSouthHawg

East Clintwood

Quote from: Hackett Hog Fan on April 02, 2011, 11:37:28 pm
Do you think he will ever win a NC? I don't think so, I think he will be that guy that can get them there or real close, but never get the actual win.

Let's hope you're right.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

lawhog36

moses_007

I don't see how UK even got to the Final Four since they couldn't win a road game in the SEC.  It's somewhat of a miracle they got as far as they did.  They didn't have it on Saturday though.

Dirty

I hate coach C and I am glad they got beat.  Especially after his comments years ago.  Something to the effect about not playing Arkansas any more because it is not relevant.  I can't remember the exact words but I just don't like his cheating arse!

Corkscrew Johnson

Quote from: Hackett Hog Fan on April 02, 2011, 11:37:28 pm

No.  Calipari is the country's best recruiter.  Calipari is probably in the 20th percentile of actual coaching abilities.  Unless he can amass talent like UNLV circa 1990, his coaching limitations will always prevent a NC.

Y-lee-coyote

Quote from: Corkscrew Johnson on April 03, 2011, 07:51:31 am
No.  Calipari is the country's best recruiter.  Calipari is probably in the 20th percentile of actual coaching abilities.  Unless he can amass talent like UNLV circa 1990, his coaching limitations will always prevent a NC.
[/quote

Hard to have more first round players on a team than he had last year. I usually pull for SEC teams, but I enjoy seeing that cheating  :puke: lose.

jbcarol

Listening to the Kyle Macy Show for a bit this morning, some UK fans were begging for UK to hire Macy on staff.  Pay him on bonus for big FTs in key games.

I think Chris Warren broke Macy's SEC FT% record this year.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

PonderinHog

Quote from: Spider-Pig on April 02, 2011, 10:43:48 pm
Think he said "We make them when they count" or something similar

I remember hearing that during their chokejob vs Kansas a few years ago
I guess he doesn't understand that when you make them, they do count.

jbcarol

Most of the men are calling for Brad Stevens.

The women are saying leave Cal alone.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Don't know how representative they are considering the last guy gushed over how Stevens just beat Old Dominion.

mmhogs17

Horrible game coach. Just gets by on talent.

MountieDawg

IF you think Cal is a horrible game coach, you really don't watch a whole lot of Kentucky basketball...  He does a great job of developing players...They averaged about 70% from the line this  year and shot 25% last night....  Their best recruit was ruled ineligible this year...  Liggins, Harrellson and Miler made huge improvements this year....  The defense was great last night... I feel sorry for Mike Anderson if you think taking a team from the NIT before you arrive to the Elite 8 your 1st year to the Final 4 your 2nd year is not a good coaching job....  Not to mention the top by far recruiting class coming in next year...

You may not like Cal, you may hate Cal, you may hate the one and done (but you probably want some) but to get kids that their #1 goal is to play in the NBA to play great defense in one year is not easy...

SEC!

311Hog

Quote from: MountieDawg on April 03, 2011, 07:03:06 pm
IF you think Cal is a horrible game coach, you really don't watch a whole lot of Kentucky basketball...  He does a great job of developing players...They averaged about 70% from the line this  year and shot 25% last night....  Their best recruit was ruled ineligible this year...  Liggins, Harrellson and Miler made huge improvements this year....  The defense was great last night... I feel sorry for Mike Anderson if you think taking a team from the NIT before you arrive to the Elite 8 your 1st year to the Final 4 your 2nd year is not a good coaching job....  Not to mention the top by far recruiting class coming in next year...

You may not like Cal, you may hate Cal, you may hate the one and done (but you probably want some) but to get kids that their #1 goal is to play in the NBA to play great defense in one year is not easy...

i agree with all this, a bit off topic i just find it VERY ironic that free throws have been his undoing every time.

He would have 2 NC's by now (one prolly vacated) if his players could hit their free throws.

Corkscrew Johnson

Quote from: MountieDawg on April 03, 2011, 07:03:06 pm

I think you are confusing coaching with recruiting.

dropkickd9

MountieDawg

Quote from: 311Hog on April 02, 2011, 10:36:54 pm
admit that free throws are important?

I mean seriously i remember way back when that he said he didn't really care about free throws back at Memphis,and didn't really emphasize them.  I bet he regrets that or at least he should.

good lord how can you be so good at basketball and so bad at something as simple as a free throw.

OOOPS
SEC!