Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Just so you know, what you guys post

Started by 3BoarsDown, January 31, 2011, 08:03:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

3BoarsDown

razorback44

Someone should delete that Barnett thread. Considering talking negatively about recruits is against the rules, it baffles me how it is still up on the board.
"No force and no man can abolish memory"  FDR

Seebs

So the thoughts of the fans on this board are going to its intended audience - cool.

Thanks for the earth shaking news.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

Hogg_Phan

Hope that recruits pay more attention to what their coaches/recruiters are telling them than what bloggers are saying. People mostly only say these things when they think they may not get the recruit that way it doesn't hurt as bad to them if they don't come.

Hope Chris signs with us but only if he wants to be here.
Maurice "Footsie" Britt - an "ex-Arkansas Razorback and Detroit Lion war hero".
.... In fact, Britt was standing on the field at the football stadium in Arkansas, saluting with his left hand and receiving the Medal of Honor, ...
http://www.cafe.com/r/f87e4a8e-2253-4fb1-90ad-4372d99aa204/1/why-havent-you-heard-of-this-war-hero-nfl-veteran

RAF

Shown to recruits?  Only if he reads the Michy scout message boards...

He does need to be paying more attention to coaches and his recruiters.  If posts like that factor into his decision at all... well, that's not a good sign.

The Hogfather

Who cares?  Any kid who allows message board fodder to sway his decision, we don't need anyway.  Some people are more candid than others.  Some people are off the deep end crazy. 

I'm not going to hold back my thoughts because a recruit may or may not be reading this board.  I'm not going to go crazy criticizing recruits, either.  But some people overreact to minor criticism sometimes.

AuburnHog

It's funny.  The ones saying "who cares" were probably posting in the Mickey Johnson thread about how the LSU fans are arrogant and dumb for not appreciating a quality recruit like Johnson.  And why would Johnson want to go to a school where there is an entire thread on TD about how disappointed they are that he committed.

tbhogfan

This is a program that made a hiring decision that sent Ryan Mallett to Arkansas.  I guarantee you that if you did even a cursory search, you would find the occasional Michigan fan slamming Ryan.  I am also quite certain that Justin Borin was treated with the utmost of respect when he transferred to the Ohio State University.

Pot, meet kettle.  NDqbsRoverated, please consider this my personal invitation to man up and join our board.  I somehow think you will remain a cowardly lurker, making screen prints of only the posts that fit your agenda.

And folks  please remember to not bash recruits on this board.

Go Hogs!

online-with-swine

So what are we supposed to say about him then?  Are we supposed to be happy that he decided last minute to check out a couple different programs?

Look he is a heck of a football player  BUT we are almost full.  If he decides where he wants to go 3 days after everyone else signs then we could be left out in the cold with an open scholly and noone of value to fill it.  What are we supposed to do at that point?  Do we hold other recruits hostage and string them along in hopes that they get offered by us only to end up after signing day with NO WHERE to go?  Thats not fair to those recruits and what he is doing is not fair to us either.  We have been placed in bad position by him.  If he decides today on where he wants to go then fine, we have time to move to the next person...3 days after signing day that option doesn't exist for us anymore.

Committment is a 2 way street.  He isn't really committed to us so why should we be committed to him?  In my opinion he risks being dropped by us if CBP feels someone else can fill his slot---period.

The Hogfather

Quote from: razorback44 on January 31, 2011, 08:11:01 am
Someone should delete that Barnett thread. Considering talking negatively about recruits is against the rules, it baffles me how it is still up on the board.

Saying we need to go a different route if we can because he up and decided to start taking more visits 2 weeks before NSD and saying he won't sign until after NSD is not criticizing a recruit.

I'm sure Barnett knows how that move is likely to be perceived by Arkansas fans.  We're not going to like it.  He has said that our coaches don't like it.  So what?  He decided to do it anyway.  That's his choice.  That doesn't mean we all have to like it or act like it isn't a bad position to put our coaches in.

The Hogfather

Quote from: AuburnHog on January 31, 2011, 08:37:52 am
It's funny.  The ones saying "who cares" were probably posting in the Mickey Johnson thread about how the LSU fans are arrogant and dumb for not appreciating a quality recruit like Johnson.  And why would Johnson want to go to a school where there is an entire thread on TD about how disappointed they are that he committed.

They are dumb and arrogant for not being happy about Mickey Johnson committing.

A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.  Barnett put our coaches in a tough position and I don't want to miss out on some good prospects waiting on Barnett to decide whether or not he wants to sign with us after signing day.

The_Boot_stops_here

who cares if they post it on a UM site?....Barnett could just as easily (and is prob more likely to, btw) read it on this board...the fact that it is now posted on a UM board is basically for their entertainment only...i dont think questioning the way that Barnett has chosen to go about making his decision should be considered "bashing" anyway....Barnett has gotten ALOT of love on here over the last 4 months or so....now he is taking a little heat over his decision to look elsewhere...it should be expected...you have to take the good with the bad

The Hogfather

Quote from: KnilesKankle on January 31, 2011, 08:39:51 am
In my opinion he risks being dropped by us if CBP feels someone else can fill his slot---period.

This is really all we've said.  And it is true.  Nothing personal against Barnett or any other recruit who does this, but we gotta do what we gotta do at this point.

3BoarsDown

January 31, 2011, 09:04:12 am #13 Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 09:07:50 am by 3BoarsDown
Quote from: dxf04 on January 31, 2011, 08:26:53 am
Shown to recruits?  Only if he reads the Michy scout message boards...

He does need to be paying more attention to coaches and his recruiters.  If posts like that factor into his decision at all... well, that's not a good sign.

It's a new trend in recruiting that recruits are shown what opposing fans on message boards think of them.

MSU lost Joe Price because of this.

I know some of you don't care and will continue to post your "expert" evaluations.

Virgil

If you choice your college career based on a message board than you have some major issues to get taken care of, seriously.

I hope he comes here and i hope he base his decision on what the school has to offer and not what people say on message boards.
It's not what you push but what pushes you!!

The Hogfather

Quote from: 3BoarsDown on January 31, 2011, 09:04:12 am
I know some of you don't care and will continue to post your "expert" evaluations.

I don't believe any of us are claiming to be experts.  I know I'm not.  I'm just not worried about any kid who will change their opinion (I think that is just an excuse to change schools in most cases) of a school because of message board talk.  Sorry.

3kgthog

Nothing posted here or elsewhere will affect his playing time or experience at the UA. That's the only thing the kid needs to consider when it comes to recruiting chat.

TrojanHog

Yeah, I'm sure that MSU lost the kid to either ULL or Memphis becauseof message boards. I think he lost his scholarship offer when Singleton went elsewhere. He's the Dakota Mosely to Tobias Singleton's Michael Dyer and when you miss the big fish, sometimes it's best to just throw back the small one.

It's a new trend in recruiting that recruits are shown what opposing fans on message boards think of them.

RAF

Who claimed to be an expert?  I'm not.  I'm just using a message board for its intended purpose.  Your arrogance is a bit unbecoming.  Your contributions are usually pretty good, but don't get too full of yourself.

online-with-swine

None of us are claiming to be experts - we are just calling it how we see it.  His decision and actions don't occur in a vacuum.  What he is doing has an affect on our coaches, our school, team and likely on him continueing to have a scholarship offer from us.  Simply pointing out the repercussions of his actions is not bashing, it is stating reality.  I hope he is aware of this and if not then he may be in for a rude awakening.

hogwild210

I understand what you're saying, but I think you're giving Hogville a little too much credit...
Quote from: Steef on May 26, 2017, 12:28:23 pm
Still, one can never go wrong with excrement at a time like this.

SquidBilly

That's a two way street though.  Find me one message board that doesn't do the same thing when a committed recruit starts yanking their school arround.  If Hogville was the only board doing it I'd see your point but we're not so it cancels itself out.

regi

OU may have shown us the direction to go on this kid. Good luck to him.

31to6

I am in favor of a "zero tolerance" policy on this forum and would be in favor of a stronger moderator hand.

People who go all whiny and negative because a high school kid they have a man crush on talked to another school is both creepy and sad.

SharpTusk

Writer on  hog database

hei5manhog

If this kid ends up signing here, i'd love to read the michigan boards when the shoe is on the other foot. It's all the same. We're all just jilted lovers when these recruits commit, decommit, softly verbalize us, give us a hard on commit.
"If I can't practice, I can't practice. It is as simple as that. It ain't about that at all. It's easy to sum it up if you're just talking about practice. We're sitting here, and I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we're talking about practice. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about practice. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it's my last but we're talking about practice man. How silly is that?

Spider-Pig

CJ Johnson too

Wildhog

Whatever.  We've got to do what's best for us, too. 
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

TrojanHog

Quote from: Spider-Pig on January 31, 2011, 12:47:53 pm
CJ Johnson too

CJ Johnson claimed that he left MSU because of a facebook stalker, not because of message board statements.  You and the guy you quoted have an agenda and you aren't letting facts get in the way of it, that's for sure.

Wildhog

Quote from: TrojanHog on January 31, 2011, 01:40:30 pm
CJ Johnson claimed that he left MSU because of a facebook stalker, not because of message board statements.  You and the guy you quoted have an agenda and you aren't letting facts get in the way of it, that's for sure.

Well thank God we don't have any facebook stalkers.  :)
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

nwarazfan

"I will not be a Mississippi state bulldog and I'm not considering Mississippi state anymore bc you have constantly comment on my page and send me crazy inboxes and has made my recruiting experience a living nightmare," Johnson wrote. "Goodbye facebook."

He is a fine example of a product of Mississippi public schools.  Unreal a kid and the adults in his life would let Facebook affect his college choice.

wholehog92

Quote from: Virgil on January 31, 2011, 09:25:27 am
If you choice your college career based on a message board than you have some major issues to get taken care of, seriously.

I hope he comes here and i hope he base his decision on what the school has to offer and not what people say on message boards.

Ahhhh.  My eyes are sending messages my synapses just refuse to translate.  I think this is called justification but it's hard to tell for sure.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

Spider-Pig

Quote from: nwarazfan on January 31, 2011, 01:57:52 pm
"I will not be a Mississippi state bulldog and I'm not considering Mississippi state anymore bc you have constantly comment on my page and send me crazy inboxes and has made my recruiting experience a living nightmare," Johnson wrote. "Goodbye facebook."

He is a fine example of a product of Mississippi public schools.  Unreal a kid and the adults in his life would let Facebook affect his college choice.

But all the MSU people are saying they were really OM fans posing as MSU fans :D

nwarazfan

Quote from: Spider-Pig on January 31, 2011, 02:07:38 pm
But all the MSU people are saying they were really OM fans posing as MSU fans :D

The kid and his mother admitted they knew that was going on but still allowed it to affect his decision.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/andy_staples/01/26/facebook-recruiting-johnson/index.html

"Later, Johnson wrote on Facebook that the interactions on the site didn't completely push him to the Rebels. But when he spoke to the Clarion-Ledger later, he still seemed shaken by the online vitriol from grown-ups who should have better things to do. "I saw rumors on the Internet with people saying I decommitted from Mississippi State because my momma has been working for this Ole Miss guy and she cleaned his house up for a year and she made $100,000," Johnson told the paper. "If my momma made $100,000 a year, I wouldn't be driving the truck that I'm driving."

I do feel somewhat sorry for these kids in places like the Mississippi Delta.  Imagine the education they have received and their world experiences.  Then they have con artists like Nutt and coaches like Saban, Miles and Mullen giving them recruiting pitches. It has to be overwhelming. 

Besides Nutt though, I also feel for the coaches having to go into these types of areas and recruit.

wholehog92

Quote from: nwarazfan on January 31, 2011, 02:15:47 pm
I do feel somewhat sorry for these kids in places like the Mississippi Delta.  Imagine the education they have received and their world experiences.  Then they have con artists like Nutt and coaches like Saban, Miles and Mullen giving them recruiting pitches. It has to be overwhelming. 

Besides Nutt though, I also feel for the coaches having to go into these types of areas and recruit.

In the original thread about this, I believe I posted something similar about the public education level in MS.  I'm sure I was sarcastic and hateful in my version though.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

toshortrock

i hate to put it like this,some of u are about to jump off the deep end here,it;s war out there,,just because a player says he will b a hog,it doesn;t stop other schools from trying to get him to change his mind untill he signs,,we do same thing,,untill whoever signs,go hogs
Toshortrock,,,,,,GO HOGS/////

wholehog92

Quote from: toshortrock on January 31, 2011, 03:46:00 pm
i hate to put it like this,some of u are about to jump off the deep end here,it;s war out there,,just because a player says he will b a hog,it doesn;t stop other schools from trying to get him to change his mind untill he signs,,we do same thing,,untill whoever signs,go hogs

Then why 'would you put it :like that?.!,:;",,  It makes, it hard to; cipher what you are,, trying to say.

Oklahawg

Some of you all miss the bigger point.

A minute and change on the clock and Colton Nash-Miles blocks the Ohio State punt. We have the ball within striking distance but no timeouts. An injury knocks out (fill in the blank) a primary UA target for getting points. We put in (fill in the name of unsigned recruit) in his place.

Now let me ask you this - do you want a kid who sniffs, gives the coach a cocky smirk and says, "give me the darned ball"? Or, do you want some kid who let anonymous internet message board posts sway the most important decision of his life?

I do NOT like some of the vicious things that get posted. I absolutely hate it when we beg for a commit and then piss acid rain towards a kid who goes elsewhere. I prefer we grow up enough to realize there is no "PLAN C" at Arkansas - either the player is good enough, or he's not. Period. I realize that not all players/recruits are saints, and some struggle with the maturity it takes to make this all-important decision.

I viewed the cut/paste on the Michigan board that is linked above. I don't find much wrong with it. We give factual reasons why Barnett might not be the perfect recruit. We also note that we've coveted his elite skills for a long time and we aren't stopping now. We also point out the single most important fact - if Barnett pisses off Petrino it doesn't matter how good he is, adios.

I was quote there and will repeat it here: I want Barnett to be a Hog, but I also see reasons for any fanbase to be skeptical, and I see a large red flag called a "busy transcript" that might create an issue for Barnett getting into any D1 school next fall. Does that mean I wish him ill, hate him for considering Michigan, will curse his name if he signs there, and/or will implant a melon fork in my manhood if we don't get him? No! I will be the first to note that keeping him is a great sign that we are an elite program, able to take on everything an elite program like Michigan and Miami can toss at one of our top-rated recruits.

As with so many of these "who commits where and why" threads, we do NOT know Petrino's side of the story. Some of the back-channel versions come out and many hogvillians miss it - the player was coveted far more by fans than by the staff. Its an odd reality.

Go Hogs! Go Barnett, be a Hog! Best case scenario - Daddy and Momma say, "Chris, do this the right way and pick your school Wednesday...and we recommend Arkansas."
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

jabohog

These days they read it while they get some.