Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The suspended OSU players that are leaving for the NFL

Started by 3BoarsDown, December 28, 2010, 02:43:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

3BoarsDown

won't play in the bowl game.

Don't know who is leaving for sure but only kids that have committed to coming back will play in the Sugar Bowl.

Posey is coming back.

I'm sure Muskogee will send this to Vent/Rumors.

Nutts and Bolts

A new era has begun in Fayetteville

GoBucks

I think that is a solid idea if true, as it eliminates any possibility that someone can get off personally scot-free.  I wonder practically, though, how they could enforce it, since the deadline to declare falls after the game. 

Hawgrox

Well since the deadline to declare is AFTER the Sugar Bowl then how can anyone know who is leaving and who is not?!?!?

Hog Fan...DOH!

If true, I applaud OSU for that move.  Coach probably wouldn't let the player come back if he tried to get out of the deal... release his scholly.

upperdeck_hawg

I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

jlambert1982

Quote from: Hawgrox on December 28, 2010, 03:00:54 pm
Well since the deadline to declare is AFTER the Sugar Bowl then how can anyone know who is leaving and who is not?!?!?

these are "leaders" and "legends" we are dealing with.  their word is gold.

idochog

It looks to me like OSU is trying anything they can to save face. 

They have been busted hard in the media on this
I love Jesus!

Hawgrox

010HogFan

Bigdavis

But there is no way to know who is leaving for the NFL before the bowl game. They could all say "yeah i'm staying another year" and then still bolt for the draft on January 15th...

beantownhog

Quote from: Bigdavis on December 28, 2010, 03:33:33 pm
But there is no way to know who is leaving for the NFL before the bowl game. They could all say "yeah i'm staying another year" and then still bolt for the draft on January 15th...

^^^This!^^^
If your tax refund equals your taxes paid in, you don't pay taxes.

SquidBilly

Quote from: GoBucks on December 28, 2010, 02:59:19 pm
I think that is a solid idea if true, as it eliminates any possibility that someone can get off personally scot-free.  I wonder practically, though, how they could enforce it, since the deadline to declare falls after the game. 

The enforcement is the problem with this plan.  Pryor can easily say to Tressel that he is coming back, play in the Sugar Bowl, and then declare for the draft.  This would almost make things worse as it either makes Tressel look like he was duped or that he went along with the sham.  Bad idea without a rock solid plan in place to be able to enforce it and I don't see how they could.

GoBucks

Quote from: Bigdavis on December 28, 2010, 03:33:33 pm

Agreed.  Another poster mentioned that if a player says he is staying, plays in bowl game, and then leaves, that Coach Tressel could pull his scholarship.  I honestly love that idea, but I cannot imagine Tressel doing that.  He always, always supports his players publicly - he even supported Maurice when he was publicly trashing teh program - and he wouldnt wreck someone's potential to play in the NFL like that.  At least I dont think he would.

EDIT:  Disregard because I make no sense here.  If he leaves, nothing Coach can do.  He's gone.  I'm a moron.

Hogwild63

Right......play in the SB, get all kind of cool stuff from Apple and Sony,....then have a "after talking with our consultants"..... have to declare for NFL   8)

Bigdavis

Quote from: GoBucks on December 28, 2010, 03:38:12 pm
Agreed.  Another poster mentioned that if a player says he is staying, plays in bowl game, and then leaves, that Coach Tressel could pull his scholarship.  I honestly love that idea, but I cannot imagine Tressel doing that.  He always, always supports his players publicly - he even supported Maurice when he was publicly trashing teh program - and he wouldnt wreck someone's potential to play in the NFL like that.  At least I dont think he would.

How would pulling his scholarship affect his ability to play in the NFL?

GoBucks

Quote from: Bigdavis on December 28, 2010, 03:39:55 pm
How would pulling his scholarship affect his ability to play in the NFL?

I know, I edited my post.  My apologies, it made no sense. 

Welch96

I don't believe any of this!  If true though, this makes "tOSU" look more guilty than before. 

beantownhog

EDIT:  Disregard because I make no sense here.  If he leaves, nothing Coach can do.  He's gone.  I'm a moron.

+1  I know it wasn't your intention, but you really made me laugh!

Hawg Daddy Cool

Quote from: Hawgrox on December 28, 2010, 03:00:54 pm

They probably talked to the players beforehand and found out who was leaving, and then told them what was going to happen...

Bigdavis

Quote from: Hawg Daddy Cool on December 28, 2010, 03:46:49 pm
They probably talked to the players beforehand and found out who was leaving, and then told them what was going to happen...

If I'm a player asked that question on Dec 28th I say "I don't know.  I'm going to evaluate my options after the bowl game"

beantownhog

Quote from: Hawg Daddy Cool on December 28, 2010, 03:46:49 pm

That would be hardcore--I like it!

razorsharptusk

So we have one source saying they are going to the game, but may miss a bit of playing time as punishment, and one that says the players not returning for the '11 season won't play in the bowl game.  Personally, I see them all playing as the great NCAA has said they are eligible and the CEO of the Sugar Bowl has congratulated them on this decision. Not sure I care either way.  I just hope the Hogs show up and are ready to bring their 'A' game.
GO HOGS!!

Hawg Daddy Cool

Quote from: Bigdavis on December 28, 2010, 03:48:08 pm
If I'm a player asked that question on Dec 28th I say "I don't know.  I'm going to evaluate my options after the bowl game"

I suspect they had an idea of who was leaving before any of this went down.

Wildhog

Quote from: Bigdavis on December 28, 2010, 03:48:08 pm

We're talkin' about Pryor.  I'll be surprised if he doesn't come out and dare someone to suspend him from the Sugar Bowl.  Most entitled punk I've seen in a while...
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

razorsharptusk

Pryor and Chip Kelley couldn't stand in the same room together.
GO HOGS!!

beantownhog

hoginexile

I just read that tOSU and the Big Ten petitioned the NCAA to allow them to play in Sugar Bowl.  It is on espn.com article about players apologizing.    I would link it but I don't know how to copy and paste with my iPhone.
I am the gatekeeper of my own destiny, and I will have my glory day in the hot sun.  OK . . . see ya.

Calling All Hogs

Here is OSU's problem. They had their compliance guy lie in order to take advantage of a narrow exception the NCAA allows if players are not informed in advance that their actions are a rule violation. Everybody knows the guy lied. No school in history has ever told the NCAA that they did not inform students of rule violations. Suddenly OSU becomes the first one but only because it suits their purpose to do so. Integrity has gone out the door. Nothing they do brings it back.

beantownhog

Based on the linked article, I think that there is little--if any--chance that the players who are "leaving for the NFL" will be suspended.  As a matter of fact, the author seems to doubt that the players will even be denied a starting role in the Sugar Bowl.

jgphillips3

Whether any of them play or don't play, let the distractions continue for OSU while we focus on winning.  :)

rzrbackrob

Good is the enemy of great

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: jlambert1982 on December 28, 2010, 03:03:17 pm

these are "leaders" and "legends" we are dealing with.  their word is gold.

Their word may be gold, but they sold their gold pants.

razorback3072

Quote from: CallMeHog on December 28, 2010, 04:58:46 pm
Here is OSU's problem. They had their compliance guy lie in order to take advantage of a narrow exception the NCAA allows if players are not informed in advance that their actions are a rule violation. Everybody knows the guy lied. No school in history has ever told the NCAA that they did not inform students of rule violations. Suddenly OSU becomes the first one but only because it suits their purpose to do so. Integrity has gone out the door. Nothing they do brings it back.

Also remember that the Big Ten Commissioner, Delany, used to work for the NCAA in the compliance department.  I would be shocked if he weren't involved in telling OSU what to say and how to say it. 
A veteran is someone who at one point in his life wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for the amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor. There are way too many people in this country who no longer understand that.

http://www.nralifeofduty.tv/#/patriotprofiles

http://fearlessnavyseal.com/

Hawgrox

Quote from: razorsharptusk on December 28, 2010, 04:03:02 pm
Pryor and Chip Kelley couldn't stand in the same room together.

True....but Hootie would lead Pryor to the buffet....

Rzbakfromwaybak

All this would have been avoided if Tressell would have suspended them for the bowl game in the first place.......& would have been the right thing to do as their head coach.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

stowfan

Speculation on my buckeye board is only Herron will go pro, and that's only due to a real weak RB class.

jb11

+1 for acknowledging that.

Johnny America

Quote from: stowfan on December 29, 2010, 12:31:54 am
Speculation on my buckeye board is only Herron will go pro, and that's only due to a real weak RB class.

I think that Pryor will go pro as well. He seems to believe that he is better than he really is. Of course, this is based on my opinion only. I do not have facts to back up these ideas.
God is not real.

TDIABS

Quote from: razorback3072 on December 28, 2010, 08:20:35 pm
Also remember that the Big Ten Commissioner, Delany, used to work for the NCAA in the compliance department.  I would be shocked if he weren't involved in telling OSU what to say and how to say it.

Not sure it would be necessary.  I believe OSU's AD Gene Smith was on the NCAA compliance board for a couple of years.

pig pickin

Well apparently Vegas doesn't think this has legs as the game is still on the board.

razorback3072

Quote from: TDIABS on December 29, 2010, 09:02:51 am
Not sure it would be necessary.  I believe OSU's AD Gene Smith was on the NCAA compliance board for a couple of years.

And all of that explains the "language" used in the press conferences.  It was extremely rehearsed and very "lawyerese".  It's all a load of crap and typical of the NCAA.  Personally, I hope they all play but the NCAA has screwed up big time all season with some of their rulings and the excuses for those rulings.
A veteran is someone who at one point in his life wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for the amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor. There are way too many people in this country who no longer understand that.

http://www.nralifeofduty.tv/#/patriotprofiles

http://fearlessnavyseal.com/

TDIABS

Quote from: razorback3072 on December 29, 2010, 09:31:22 am
And all of that explains the "language" used in the press conferences.  It was extremely rehearsed and very "lawyerese".  It's all a load of crap and typical of the NCAA.  Personally, I hope they all play but the NCAA has screwed up big time all season with some of their rulings and the excuses for those rulings.

All season?  The NCAA has been screwing up for years.  It's what they do.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: TDIABS on December 29, 2010, 09:02:51 am
yet his stars don't know even the most basic of rules- no extra benefits. duh duh duh dumb he must think we ALL are.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Bacons Rebellion

All the NCAA employees that get lucrative jobs as ADs and conference commissioners remind me of ex-Congressmen working as lobbyists.

EasyB

Well, the 5 game suspensions are a bunch of BS anyway. 

Hell, ole miss and Hootie could go 5 and 0 against that competition.  Their toughest game is against Akron (at home).

TDIABS

Quote from: EasyB on December 29, 2010, 09:43:27 am
Well, the 5 game suspensions are a bunch of BS anyway. 

Hell, ole miss and Hootie could go 5 and 0 against that competition.  Their toughest game is against Akron (at home).

Are you serious?

In the first 5 games next year, OSU plays Miami (FL) in Miami.  They play Colorado (who beat Georgia this year) and they also play Michigan State.

Johnny America

Quote from: TDIABS on December 29, 2010, 09:45:36 am
Are you serious?

In the first 5 games next year, OSU plays Miami (FL) in Miami.  They play Colorado (who beat Georgia this year) and they also play Michigan State.

I was about to ask the same thing. I think they will still be 4-1 at worst though.
God is not real.

TDIABS

Quote from: Johnny America on December 29, 2010, 09:47:08 am
I was about to ask the same thing. I think they will still be 4-1 at worst though.

I think 3-2 is likely.  I don't see a rookie QB beating Miami or MSU.