Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auburn AD Jay Jacobs on Cam

Started by 3BoarsDown, November 08, 2010, 07:14:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

3BoarsDown

This past summer, the school began looking into questions regarding Newton's status. Asked if he could foresee any reason Newton wouldn't finish the season, Jacobs said, "I don't have a way to know that at this time."

"It's not a closed matter," he said. "It's still ongoing. ... But we look for Cam to continue to play for us."

Not sounding as confident all of a sudden.

3kgthog

3BoarsDown

PrincessTiger you can respond here, lurker and smiter.

cityhog

Here's the thing.  I don't think Cam received any money.  Now his dad on the other hand....

What is it about cheating and football in AL? 

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: cityhog on November 08, 2010, 08:53:19 am
Here's the thing.  I don't think Cam received any money.  Now his dad on the other hand....

they go hand -in- hand. All they have to do is fool the Feds(NCAA). The local folks(SEC) turn a blind eye when it comes to Bammer, Barn, Gayturd, and LSwho.  You think the SEC woulda let Arkansas blatently buy Mallett and know about it since the summer and dtill just let him play? nfw
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Cementhog

Keep in mind that the money isn't the real issue here. Sure it will look bad if he did receive any, but the main thing is just the solicitation of the payout. Whether or not he actually received any won't matter. It is entirely possible no request for money ever went on at Allbarn, just MSU and if just 1 person knew about the requested pay for play, the Newton camp is done.
Little Lebowski Urban Achiever Class of 86

PonderinHog

Peas and carrots, Jenny! :)

3BoarsDown

Mike Slive comments on the Cam situation:

"It's my hope," Slive said, "that people will reserve judgment on this or any matter until the facts are known. To indict or perceive something that is not known or established is unfair, not only to the SEC but more importantly to the young man involved."

Weird that the SEC commish and Auburn AD are commenting on this when Solomwi declared it was over already.

cityhog

Quote from: 3BoarsDown on November 08, 2010, 04:02:57 pm
Mike Slive comments on the Cam situation:

"It's my hope," Slive said, "that people will reserve judgment on this or any matter until the facts are known. To indict or perceive something that is not known or established is unfair, not only to the SEC but more importantly to the young man involved."

Obviously the NCAA is sniffing around still.

Weird that the SEC commish and Auburn AD are commenting on this when Solomwi declared it was over already.

dhornjr1

Ftsmithmike

I hope they win out and get to the NCG just to have him declared ineligible and get beat like a rented mule by Oregon. I dream of this. They finish with one loss to Oregon by five TDs... I dream of this.
"Here a question arises: whether it is better to be loved than feared, or the reverse. The answer is, of course, that it would be best to be both loved and feared. But since the two rarely come together, anyone compelled to choose will find greater security in being feared than in being loved."

regi

If you notice what AU is saying, it is mostly about them. They have cleared themselves and their coaches, not Newton. I predict this is Cam's only year at AU. This mess will get stone walled and drug out like Reggie Bush.

HognitiveDissonance

It's because it's so important, that it's a 365-argument down there over who's better, Alabama or Auburn, and that it's such a heated instate rivalry that they're always trying to outdo the other guy. Mostly Auburn, since Alabama has most of the tradition and history, but Bama's recently had more than their share of run-ins with the law as well.

Look at Texas A&M's history, too. Always trying to play catchup with Texas.

Be careful what you wish for with those instate rivalries.

Pigneous Rock

Old article/news but interesting considering he is still on their Board of Trustees. I would be nervous.

http://money.cnn.com/2009/10/09/news/companies/bobby_lowder.fortune/index.htm

"A few years after his resignation, however, Bowden gave an interview to local reporter Davis alleging that Lowder had organized a program in which wealthy alumni contributed cash to a slush fund to pay players to sign with Auburn.

Several people with knowledge of the system and Lowder's role in it told Fortune that Bowden was telling the truth and that they had seen a book with a list of the slush-fund donors. Again, Lowder would not comment for this story, and we could find no record that he had addressed this question in the past."