Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gus talk in Colorado...

Started by 3BoarsDown, October 25, 2010, 10:54:26 am

Previous topic - Next topic

3BoarsDown

ekyle1

kingofdequeen

man...that's a really good job (at least in my mind).

that may be the first legit opening that would interest him.

Divot

Gus could fit in the PAC-12 South just fine.

razorback44

I really don't think Gus will leave the south.  All of his recruiting ties are down here.  Wheter it be a top notch CUSA job like Houston or a mid level ACC, SEC or Big East job. I could easily see him wait another year or two and take a job at South Carolina, South Florida, North Carolina etc.  Something along those lines.  I highly doubt he is going to jump from a cushy OC job in the SEC to a job at somewhere like Minnesota or Colorado where he has absolutely no ties at all.  This is the part where being a high school coach for half of his career is going to hurt him.  He hasn't been all over the country recruiting yet at different schools like a normal college OC has been doing for his career.
"No force and no man can abolish memory"  FDR

Hogs12

October 25, 2010, 11:36:38 am #5 Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 03:14:49 pm by Hogs12
Quote from: ekyle1 on October 25, 2010, 10:56:33 am
Good place for him!

I think Colorado is a very good job and all. Like other people have said, it will be tough. They have been down for awhile and now going to the Pac-10 will be tougher. I think he is up to the task if they do end going that route.

rnclittlerock

October 25, 2010, 11:39:09 am #6 Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 11:45:01 am by rnclittlerock
because a high school offense is working out so well for the broncos, they were only losing to the raiders by 31....in the first quarter.

it's worked out so well they should absolutely bring in more of it.

good christian!  i'm sure he told all of those receivers he recruited that they were signing up to be downfield blockers for newton.  just like hooter does.

superior_wang

Quote from: Hogs12 on October 25, 2010, 11:36:38 am
I think Colorado is a very good job and all but I do not think Gus will fit in that well. A Christian guy who has pretty much lived his whole in the SE and going to one of the most Liberal areas in the country and also in the mountains. It might take some time for him to get used to it.

Funny, most people would kill to live out here.

A good thing for Gus is the idea that there are ZERO expectations at CU. Seriously. None. Dan Hawkins  is a horrible , horrible coach. Can only go upward.

NWASooner

Do they have the money to get rid of Hawkins and get a new coach?  They're having serious money problems there.....

Could be a decent job, though.....

kingofdequeen

I think Colorado is a very good job and all but I do not think Gus will fit in that well. A Christian guy who has pretty much lived his whole in the SE and going to one of the most Liberal areas in the country and also in the mountains. It might take some time for him to get used to it.

wow.

superior_wang

btw , they have christians out here too! and if you are a right wing  psychopath ,  focus on the family is down in the springs...quite a commute to boulder though.

The_Iceman

I see Gus fitting in better with the Big East or even an ACC school for his first head coaching job.

He doesnt have many ties out West recruiting wise.

superior_wang

October 25, 2010, 11:49:18 am #12 Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 11:59:55 am by superior_wang
Quote from: NWASooner on October 25, 2010, 11:44:05 am
Do they have the money to get rid of Hawkins and get a new coach?  They're having serious money problems there.....

CU is way down now, but dont be too hard on them  my fellow hog fans. their last national championship was in 1990.... a good 26 years more recent than the hogs last one.

nwarazfan

Quote from: NWASooner on October 25, 2010, 11:44:05 am

I've heard they don't.

He should limit himself to Liberty or Harding then if he is that conservative. 
Quote from: razorback44 on October 25, 2010, 11:36:27 am
I really don't think Gus will leave the south.  All of his recruiting ties are down here.  Wheter it be a top notch CUSA job like Houston or a mid level ACC, SEC or Big East job. I could easily see him wait another year or two and take a job at South Carolina, South Florida, North Carolina etc.  Something along those lines.  I highly doubt he is going to jump from a cushy OC job in the SEC to a job at somewhere like Minnesota or Colorado where he has absolutely no ties at all.  This is the part where being a high school coach for half of his career is going to hurt him.  He hasn't been all over the country recruiting yet at different schools like a normal college OC has been doing for his career.

Forming a staff would be one of his challenges at a major program.  I'm sure a number of young offensive coaches would want to work with him.  Specifically to CU, when they have been good southern California recruiting helped them get that way.  Now joining the Pac whatever and playing UCLA and USC every season could help them get back to getting California talent.  For Gus, he would need to hire coaches with ties to that region.  I think his offense would be interesting playing home games in Boulder's altitude. 

husker71

Think its a Terrible job for Gus, up against Sarkasian at Washington,  Riley at Oregon and Tedford at Cal all who are offensive gurus and have better locations to get SoCal talent.  Not to even mention USC,UCLA, and Arizona.  If he has a chance I think he would take Arizona St job before Colorado.  But if he could  take that offense into a conference that has not seen that offense run every week he could really do some damage. 

Tha Rocketman

Would be a great job for Gus and a wonderful place to live.

Pigneous Rock

Wow, I love Boulder. If he passed up that job...insane.

superior_wang

my only knock on boulder is the cost of housing... its absurd... but..Gus would be in  another tax bracket than me i suppose.

Porkbutt Gary

Been hearing this for 2 weeks in NWA, may be starting to get some legs?
Once a  Razorback, Always a Razorback  ... Unless you're a Nutt!

Pissed Pig

He'll go somewhere like So Miss, CUSA type or one of these days , Okie Lite, Texas A&M, I just don't see a major in his first D1 gig.  We shall see, somebody may get crazy and offer, but I'd bet he'll stay in the south. 

tusksincolorado

Quote from: superior_wang on October 25, 2010, 12:49:01 pm
my only knock on boulder is the cost of housing... its absurd... but..Gus would be in  another tax bracket than me i suppose.

Could live in Louisville, Longmont, Golden.
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

superior_wang

Quote from: tusksincolorado on October 25, 2010, 06:38:19 pm
Could live in Louisville, Longmont, Golden.
yes.  Id vote Longmont.....they  still have land up there, and the population thins out.

tusksincolorado

October 25, 2010, 06:52:38 pm #22 Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 06:55:10 pm by tusksincolorado
Quote from: kingofdequeen on October 25, 2010, 11:44:40 am
wow.

Certainly someone who has never lived here.

kingofdequeen

Quote from: tusksincolorado on October 25, 2010, 06:52:38 pm
Certainly someone who has never lived here.

teh frank?

the "wow" was in reaction to someone thinking GM would hesitate living in a quote "liberal" area to coach Colorado, a major D-I program for millions of dollars.

i mean, ITS DIVISION ONE FOOTBALL!!!!

tusksincolorado

Quote from: kingofdequeen on October 25, 2010, 07:08:10 pm
teh frank?

the "wow" was in reaction to someone thinking GM would hesitate living in a quote "liberal" area to coach Colorado, a major D-I program for millions of dollars.

i mean, ITS DIVISION ONE FOOTBALL!!!!
I was agreeing with you. sorry for the misunderstanding. I didn't capture HOG12's comment. Colorado is primarily a republican right wing state with a bunch of californians mixed in! GM would fit in just fine, if he can overlook the liberal stupidity like hippies and legal pot.

online-with-swine

I don't care where he goes as long as it's not in the SEC.  Although, it would be poetic justice for him to replace Nutt at Ole Miss.

rnclittlerock

October 25, 2010, 09:36:45 pm #26 Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 09:38:42 pm by rnclittlerock
Quote from: tusksincolorado on October 25, 2010, 07:25:07 pm
I was agreeing with you. sorry for the misunderstanding. I didn't capture HOG12's comment. Colorado is primarily a republican right wing state with a bunch of californians mixed in! GM would fit in just fine, if he can overlook the liberal stupidity like hippies and legal pot.

no, you're still missing the point.  anyone who bases their job prospects on glenn beck's ratings in the area they're potentially gonna move to would be certifiably ignorant and stupid and thus would not have any job prospects.

and i'd still like to hear the answer to the 'good christian' point made above, about how your job as a college football coach is to lie to recruits.  especially in malzahn's case because he has to recruit receivers with no intention of utilizing them for anything but downfield blocking for cam newton, just like hooter does.

chiefsfan

Quote from: Porkbutt Gary on October 25, 2010, 02:57:07 pm
Been hearing this for 2 weeks in NWA, may be starting to get some legs?

no, this is the typical time of year where the hot names in coaching get linked to jobs, and Malzhan is a hot name after what he did to Arkansas and LSU on national TV.

There arent legs until after the season ends.  Any legs now is an agent throwing a name out there to gauge interest
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

hawgfan80

GM may have better options than Colorado.

jackflash

He might be interested in taking a HC job this year. After all Frazier would follow him.

tusksincolorado

Quote from: rnclittlerock on October 25, 2010, 09:36:45 pm
no, you're still missing the point.  anyone who bases their job prospects on glenn beck's ratings in the area they're potentially gonna move to would be certifiably ignorant and stupid and thus would not have any job prospects.

and i'd still like to hear the answer to the 'good christian' point made above, about how your job as a college football coach is to lie to recruits.  especially in malzahn's case because he has to recruit receivers with no intention of utilizing them for anything but downfield blocking for cam newton, just like hooter does.

I don't know GM, and really don't care too. If he lies to recruits I can't say. As far as Colorado, it has been a conservative red state for years until the last election. Faith of Family, or Family of Faith, or whatever they call themselves is based in Monument. Their leader had the ear of GB2 from 2000 to 2008. The Christian Coalition is very strong in Douglas, Araphoe counties, along with several other counties along the Front Range. This being stated, and what I have read about GM, Springdale, and Shiloh. I can only conclude that GM being a fairly young family man with apparent christian principles along with the beauty of CO would find the job appealing. But that is just MHO. 

superior_wang

Quote from: hawgfan80 on October 25, 2010, 09:59:48 pm
this is true. One thing to consider for Gus , and for us SEC fans... is the concept that the University of CO does not (at least at this point in time) sell out to football  like SEC schools do. They have a relatively small  (53,000 seat) stadium, and im sure their facilities would be among the worst in the sec comparatively. Its a nice stadium and all, but by SEC / national power standards, its  a joke. If i were  to coach there, i would def be concerned about the commitment of the university to football.

superior_wang

Quote from: tusksincolorado on October 25, 2010, 10:06:59 pm
I don't know GM, and really don't care too. If he lies to recruits I can't say. As far as Colorado, it has been a conservative red state for years until the last election. Faith of Family, or Family of Faith, or whatever they call themselves is based in Monument. Their leader had the ear of GB2 from 2000 to 2008. The Christian Coalition is very strong in Douglas, Araphoe counties, along with several other counties along the Front Range. This being stated, and what I have read about GM, Springdale, and Shiloh. I can only conclude that GM being a fairly young family man with apparent christian principles along with the beauty of CO would find the job appealing. But that is just MHO.
Dog the bounty hunter has a home here, how liberal can it be?? 

tusksincolorado

Quote from: superior_wang on October 25, 2010, 10:16:46 pm
Dog the bounty hunter has a home here, how liberal can it be?? 

I didn't know that, ALERT! ALERT! ALERT!

superior_wang

Quote from: tusksincolorado on October 25, 2010, 10:55:13 pm
I didn't know that, ALERT! ALERT! ALERT!
yeah, on his show... (yes I watch occasionally , and yes im ashamed) .. its clear he has a home down in the springs area... guess he has one in Hawaii to, or has had. He was also around here a month or so ago at a ( I swear) Republican fundraiser.

His wife scares me.

NWASooner

Colorado voted for Obama and I think they voted for Clinton once and maybe twice.  I'd have to look it up.  They can't be THAT conservative.

tusksincolorado

Quote from: NWASooner on October 26, 2010, 07:15:25 am
Colorado voted for Obama and I think they voted for Clinton once and maybe twice.  I'd have to look it up.  They can't be THAT conservative.

Lots of folks voted for Clinton......and the young vote (college) in Colorado voted for Obama. Boulder, Ft Collins, 16th Street Mall Area, DU/Wash Area, Federal Area and "Broadansterdamn" was totally Democratic in the last primary. You will find the Cub Fans there too! But the rest of us are gun-toting Rednecks!!!!!!  : )

flynhog

Im proud of Gus.  He's a class act that has excellence on his mind.  He will do well wherever he goes. 

I hope he leaves the SEC.  Ya'll know why.
Wins are the only things that matter when the game ends.  The mistakes that happen in the game are corrected by good coaching during the week. A season of near losses means you won every game.

camden5r

Quote from: Pissed Pig on October 25, 2010, 04:53:21 pm
He'll go somewhere like So Miss, CUSA type or one of these days , Okie Lite, Texas A&M, I just don't see a major in his first D1 gig.  We shall see, somebody may get crazy and offer, but I'd bet he'll stay in the south. 
If he is offered by a BCS school he is going to take the job. Reality people

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

rnclittlerock

Quote from: tusksincolorado on October 25, 2010, 10:06:59 pm

think about it.  you KNOW he lies to recruits, he has to.  otherwise they wouldn't have a tight end or receiver on the roster.

JONAS

I would love for Gus to go to Colorado.  He might could help them win a PAC 12 championship.  Also, I want his butt out of the SEC.

superior_wang

fwiw , there is alot of popular sentiment out here for CU's former glory days coach Bill McCartney. And yes he is 70 years old.

Dr Swineglove

Quote from: nwarazfan on October 25, 2010, 11:54:10 am

He should limit himself to Liberty or Harding then if he is that conservative. 

Don't diss Harding.  They actually educate students at Harding, versus Liberty where they tell students the Earth is flat, 6000 years old and adulterers should be stoned to death.  I earned a graduate degree from HU, it was one of the best experiences of my life, and I'm a flamming moderate. Case in point: while calling roll while assembling prior to graduation, the dean of the business college called out "Bluto?  Bluto Blutarsky? Bluto?... I guess he isn't here."  The same sense of humor wouldn't fly with the Liberty taliban.
Prefrontal lobotomies are not to be performed without the written consent of the patient

superior_wang

just a few notes on the state of the program at CU:

Oklahoma annihilated CU last night 43-10.  I am not sure about the 3rd quarter but I do know OU didnt play Landry Jones the entire 4th...and possibly most of the 3rd. OU had 31 first downs in the game, and 635 yards total offense (again , that is with calling off the dogs in the 4th).

CU also hasnt won a road game since Oct 27 , 2007...16 straight road losses.

Article by Dan Kizla of the Post titled " Hawk, think of the players, leave " pretty much sums it up.

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_16481713

Pecos Hog

Quote from: hawgfan80 on October 25, 2010, 09:59:48 pm

True.    As Auburn keeps winning his price tag keeps moving up.    He has name recognition and big time experience now.    He's a hot commodity now.       He can pick and choose - and he will.     But, you have to know that he and his family are probably very tired of moving every few years.     So, I thinking that he wants his next move to be his last.     It's going to be a big name school. 

Iwastherein1969

if Gus is as intelligent as most 'Gus Huggers' claim, he will take this unique opportunity after this season to secure himself a HC position at a major D1 school....he will have several nice places he can go....if he waits until he has another Neil Caudle at QB and AU's program takes the inevitable plunge after Cam Newton goes to the NFL, Gus will have wasted the high point of his ability to leverage a multi-million dollar deal...so Gus needs to take his talents and leave because there won't be another Cameron Newton walking through that door at AU ever again

ad:  and don't even try to convince me that Kiehl Frazier can be a Cam Newton
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

superior_wang

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on October 31, 2010, 10:07:52 am
if Gus is as intelligent as most 'Gus Huggers' claim, he will take this unique opportunity after this season to secure himself a HC position at a major D1 school....he will have several nice places he can go....if he waits until he has another Neil Caudle at QB and AU's program takes the inevitable plunge after Cam Newton goes to the NFL, Gus will have wasted the high point of his ability to leverage a multi-million dollar deal...so Gus needs to take his talents and leave because there won't be another Cameron Newton walking through that door at AU ever again

ad:  and don't even try to convince me that Kiehl Frazier can be a Cam Newton
I still dont get the hate of Gus Mal-uh-zahn. All he does is win.

rnclittlerock

Quote from: superior_wang on October 31, 2010, 10:40:16 am
I still dont get the hate of Gus Mal-uh-zahn. All he does is win.

cam newton wins.  gus and cheezit are just along for the ride.

superior_wang

Quote from: rnclittlerock on October 31, 2010, 11:23:39 am
cam newton wins.  gus and cheezit are just along for the ride.

Gus won at Arkansas
Gus won at Tulsa
Gus is winning at Auburn.
Gus would be winning without Newton.

People's hate of Gus's success is just laughable.