Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Malzahn having his QB's throw without the laces

Started by 3BoarsDown, April 08, 2010, 07:18:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

3BoarsDown

I know some QB's do it but I haven't heard of anyone teaching all their QB's to switch to this method. Interesting. Did he do this previously?

Cam Newton:

"That's a big thing Coach Malzahn has installed into all the quarterbacks," Newton said. "That was kind of new to me, because all my life I've been taught to feel for the laces, that's where you get the spiral from. Of course, it's going to be awkward, but I think I'm getting comfortable."

go hogues

It'll be interesting in a few years when actually teaching traditional football technique becomes en vogue.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

Sivad

In a related story, Coach Houston Nutt promptly ordered his quarterbacks at Ole Miss to remove their shoelaces during hand-off drills.

oldbear

Anyone want to explain?  I know I am not a genius and all, but it sounds kind of dumb to me.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: Sivad on April 08, 2010, 10:11:06 pm
In a related story, Coach Houston Nutt promptly ordered his quarterbacks at Ole Miss to remove their shoelaces during hand-off drills.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

cubsfan5150

April 08, 2010, 10:35:44 pm #5 Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 10:38:10 pm by cubsfan5150
Not sure why someone wouldn't use them.
QuoteWest Side Rooter wrote:

Always best to talk [expletive] about a team when you don't have to face them again.

I'd do the same. LaRussa's a nutjob and would probably throw at his head.
ETA: A bottle of wine, not a baseball.
ETA: Empty bottle, obviously.

Zen_Hog

The footballs most teams use like the Wilson GST's have it where you really don't need to throw with the laces. The whole ball is made of gripping material that allows you to throw a spiral without laces. I know this is the most popular ball used in High School and College football.

HoopS

I have done it both ways and actually like to grip "no laces" with certain ones.   

The Realist

"We've got chips on our shoulder and really want to go out and show everybody what we can do.  We're not asking for anybody to give us the respect we deserve, but we plan on going out and taking it."
Childs, Gregory.

Foots

I've thrown without the laces for as long as I can remember. My dad taught me to throw with the laces, but its more comfortable to me without them. I guess if you throw with the laces, you are taking time to make sure you have them before you throw, whereas without them, you just throw. Maybe that's why Malzahn is teaching his QB's different.

cdclark09

I think it's probably more about not having to worry about finding the laces if you need to get the ball out quick or if you scrabble and lose your initial grip on the ball... just my guess though.

boynamedsooie

Quote from: 3BoarsDown on April 08, 2010, 07:18:03 pm
I know some QB's do it but I haven't heard of anyone teaching all their QB's to switch to this method. Interesting. Did he do this previously?

Cam Newton:

"That's a big thing Coach Malzahn has installed into all the quarterbacks," Newton said. "That was kind of new to me, because all my life I've been taught to feel for the laces, that's where you get the spiral from. Of course, it's going to be awkward, but I think I'm getting comfortable."

Everyone knows that HDN invented the "lacemenot" method of throwing the football. It is especially effective in 5 yard out route throws.
Pigs be flying!

mmhogs17

Don't you know Gus copies everything Nutt taught him... Lol

cmc3030

You do this for a quicker release from your QB.

cbjagman

Quote from: Sivad on April 08, 2010, 10:11:06 pm
One another tidbit from OM spring camp: HC Nutt has qbs throw footballs without air. Wants to simulate game conditions as much as possible.

NeverYield

It's a good drill.  Like throwing a baseball back and forth with no glove and shooting a basketball with one hand.  It works!
"You can take a boy out of ole' dixie land lord, but ju'll never take ole' dixie from a boy..."  -Ronnie VanZant

Okie Hog

Quote from: cdclark09 on April 09, 2010, 09:53:44 am
I think it's probably more about not having to worry about finding the laces if you need to get the ball out quick or if you scrabble and lose your initial grip on the ball... just my guess though.

And it can definately facilitate a triple word score if executed properly.   :D

moonswine

The next thing you know they will be soaking the field so he can teach his QBs to walk on water.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

TechHog

The Great Hambino

kingofdequeen

they dont got the money for laces.

too many limos to rent.

never gets old...

cdclark09

Quote from: Okie Hog on April 09, 2010, 04:54:59 pm
And it can definately facilitate a triple word score if executed properly.   :D
Doh!  It DEFINITELY can.

HoopS

engineer

Read my mind. I wonder if any of those QBs will end up kidnapping the mascot and the starter AND do it while posing as a female detective?

jbcarol

Could anyone tell Saturday if they were throwing with the laces?
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net