Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My theory on Auburn recruiting

Started by 3BoarsDown, February 09, 2010, 01:45:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

3BoarsDown

Firing Tuberville was a big risk, especially after he owned Alabama.

Chizik was a questionable hire, the initial backlash was incredible considering he had coached there before.

Alabama's success under Saban has really turned the heat up for Chizik and Auburn to succeed.

Therefore boosters are desperate for the current staff to do well and to do well they need the best talent available, they have to prove Chizik was the right hire. Pat Dye was a great cheater and Chizik is Pat Dye's boy. Boosters are doing anything they can to "help" the staff get players. Cheezit may not even be fully aware what is being done behind the scenes but something is going on.

It just doesn't make sense that all these great players want to play at Auburn all of a sudden.

Table Rocker

Trooper, Rocker and Gus probably contributed to that great class.

Killean

Quote from: Table Rocker on February 09, 2010, 01:54:46 pm

Gus certainly did, although probably not legally.
Everyone is born with the right to exist. When you become a Nazi you give up that right.

Roadrunner

The allure of instant playing time is a huge recruiting tool.

Auburn was down to around 68 scholarship players by the time they played us due to injury and attrition. I know at one point there was only one player on their depth chart in some positions, especially on defense.

Their attrition was kind of like what we experienced with HDN and his non-qualifiers, etc.  So many guys never made it on campus.

From doing a little checking, Auburn has not had a recruiting class below the top 10-20 in a very long time and were only a few years removed from another top 5 finish.  This is not the aberration some would have you think.

Instant playing time was also one of the reasons for Alabama's top recruiting finish a couple of years ago as well.

With us, when recruits sign, they know they are going to be on the scout team for at least one year, maybe more.

When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you.

Oxbaker

Quote from: Roadrunner on February 09, 2010, 02:01:30 pm
The allure of instant playing time is a huge recruiting tool.

Auburn was down to around 68 scholarship players by the time they played us due to injury and attrition. I know at one point there was only one player on their depth chart in some positions, especially on defense.

Their attrition was kind of like what we experienced with HDN and his non-qualifiers, etc.  So many guys never made it on campus.

From doing a little checking, Auburn has not had a recruiting class below the top 10-20 in a very long time and were only a few years removed from another top 5 finish.  This is not the aberration some would have you think.

Instant playing time was also one of the reasons for Alabama's top recruiting finish a couple of years ago as well.

With us, when recruits sign, they know they are going to be on the scout team for at least one year, maybe more.
This post is pretty much dead on.  Auburn typically does pretty well in recruiting.  Not as good as this year but in the 10-15 range consistently.  The difference this year was that Auburn was able to go head to head with bama on some recruits and come out on top.  This is unusual, even when Dye was there.  I think the allure of early playing time and the recent success Auburn has had with putting players in the NFL has a lot to do with this year's class.  All things considered I think Auburn is heading in the right direction by doing things the right way, not cheating like alleged by the original poster. 

lawhawg

I think this is right on.  Chizik put together a great recruiting staff.  Hopefully our staff can continue to out-coach theirs even when we do lose some recruits to them.

Table Rocker

If Trooper was still at OSU we may not have been able to flip Barnett, so that's a plus.

Roadrunner

Quote from: lawhawg on February 09, 2010, 02:11:06 pm
I think this is right on.  Chizik put together a great recruiting staff.  Hopefully our staff can continue to out-coach theirs even when we do lose some recruits to them.
Trooper Taylor is the difference for Auburn.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/football/news/story?id=4452262

Wish one of our guys had made this list.

Roadrunner

Quote from: Table Rocker on February 09, 2010, 02:15:37 pm
If Trooper was still at OSU we may not have been able to flip Barnett, so that's a plus.

Absolutely true statement.

Chizik may have the #1 responsibility of the HC down pat.  He must find great assistants and that requires his ego not be larger than the team.  Chizik may be that kind of person.  I wish we Hogvillers wouldn't think everyone else besides us who does well is cheating.  We didn't invent hard work and smart coaches.  That may be the reason Aubbie did well.  And its a fact, they usually do well year in and year out. 

athunt

IMO, Auburn picked up on some of Big Bro Bama's tactics and have taken notes.
"It's easy to recruit these combine guys that run around real fast in their underwear.  We're gonna recruit football players"
-Reggie Johnson

TMc

He does have great assistants.., I always felt Rocker was an excellent coach and recruiter.., the key for Chizik will be when Malzahn leaves.., (and he will).., who will he replace him with... Like him or not.., I think Malzahn is an offensive genius.., 

I had always wanted Malzahn to come here after Bobby (should BP leave).., but after reading today.., I don't know what to think.

lawhawg

Quote from: TMc on February 09, 2010, 02:55:07 pm
He does have great assistants.., I always felt Rocker was an excellent coach and recruiter.., the key for Chizik will be when Malzahn leaves.., (and he will).., who will he replace him with... Like him or not.., I think Malzahn is an offensive genius.., 

I had always wanted Malzahn to come here after Bobby (should BP leave).., but after reading today.., I don't know what to think.

Malzahn is a great coach and seems like a great guy, and I'd like to have him back some day.  However, it probably wouldn't be worth the resulting sh*tstorm, so lets just hope Petrino sticks around for a long, long time.

LJHOG

Maybe we ought to so get Trooper.  I know I hated seeing Rocker leave too.

3kgthog

Wasn't it rumored that one contributing factor in Tuberville's departure was that he refused to go along with the shady recruiting tactics?

RazorBacker215

Quote from: LJHOG on February 09, 2010, 04:58:09 pm
Maybe we ought to so get Trooper.  I know I hated seeing Rocker leave too.

Nope, we are going to have to do this a different way. CBP and company are going to have to build and build for years. Win with less and then the recruits will come. This is the Petrino way. Do not think less of our class because when our coaches get done with it you will forget about everyone else's top classes.

upperdeck_hawg

they still have to beat us on the playing field so i'm not too worried.
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

mhuff

Alabama and Auburn used to take turns turning each other to the NCAA.  It would not be the first time they cheated.

athunt

Quote from: 3kgthog on February 09, 2010, 05:12:07 pm
Wasn't it rumored that one contributing factor in Tuberville's departure was that he refused to go along with the shady recruiting tactics?
I have heard this.
"It's easy to recruit these combine guys that run around real fast in their underwear.  We're gonna recruit football players"
-Reggie Johnson

redeye

Quote from: RazorBacker215 on February 09, 2010, 05:12:56 pm
Nope, we are going to have to do this a different way. CBP and company are going to have to build and build for years. Win with less and then the recruits will come. This is the Petrino way. Do not think less of our class because when our coaches get done with it you will forget about everyone else's top classes.

This would be my guess, as well as my preference. Trooper Taylor, and others, are obviously good at bringing in the highest rated talent, but I wonder how good they are at evaluating talent themselves, which is a quality that our coaches may be as good as any in the nation at doing. Star ratings are not irrelevant, but in addition to all of the evidence proving their value, their are still plenty of top-rated players who will never materialize, and I believe that good talent evaluators will know this beforehand, more often than not.

In addition, I don't believe that we can expect to bring in top talent until we win big and even then we'll still be limited. Deserved or not, our state has as poor an image as any in the nation, and many recruits have deemed it as the last place they'd want to visit, before even giving it a chance. Recruiting will never be easy at Arkansas, but I'm a strong believer that if Nebraska can do it, then so can we.

zark

QuoteI think Malzahn is an offensive genius..

Let's wait for his product to produce BCS bowl wins before calling him a genius.  His genius offense wasn't that genius against one of the youngest, worst defenses in the SEC.

The fact Malzahn wrote a book about his offensive philosophy lets me know exactly the type of knowledge and person he is.

Petrino won't be writing a book any time soon, he doesn't have too.

Theolesnort

It's in the culture at Auburn. Their hand has been caught almost more than anyone else in the cookie jar. Old habits are hard to  Dye (pun intended though it started way past him). The Saban thing has got the Auburn people paranoid. The slush fund is more than full again but the problem is  they are not smart about it like Oklahoma. If you want to know how to do it they are the masters and experts at it. Auburn is headed for more embarrassment.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

Dropkick

February 09, 2010, 07:15:54 pm #22 Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 07:17:53 pm by Dropkick
Quote from: TMc on February 09, 2010, 02:55:07 pm

I guess that makes Willy a defensive genius. He has schooled Gussy twice. hahahhhahahaha!

Don't it just burn yer @ss!

Biggus Piggus

Chizik built that staff on great recruiters.  Ex-college head coach Ted Roof is the defensive coordinator, Gus runs the offense, and they have a bunch of excellent recruiters.  Even Tracy Rocker has become a pretty good recruiter over the years.  Trooper Taylor, Curtis Luper, Tommy Thigpen, Malzahn, outstanding recruiters.  Phillip Lolley, great in-state contacts.  Roof has excellent contacts in the SEC region.  Tellya what for a guy who came in under a cloud, Chizik networked like a madman to put that staff together.
[CENSORED]!

IronHog

Quote from: Randy Reece on February 09, 2010, 08:04:05 pm
Chizik built that staff on great recruiters.  Ex-college head coach Ted Roof is the defensive coordinator, Gus runs the offense, and they have a bunch of excellent recruiters.  Even Tracy Rocker has become a pretty good recruiter over the years.  Trooper Taylor, Curtis Luper, Tommy Thigpen, Malzahn, outstanding recruiters.  Phillip Lolley, great in-state contacts.  Roof has excellent contacts in the SEC region.  Tellya what for a guy who came in under a cloud, Chizik networked like a madman to put that staff together.

Good recruiters+location=good class
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

TMc

All of those schools in the deep South are in prime recruiting country also.., Georgia is such a short distance from Auburn.. 

We are always going to have our hands full with recruiting due to our population.., we've been saying this for years.

3BoarsDown

If you don't know Auburn's history here you go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieX-pNMnwFE

Pat Dye was a huge cheater and Chizik is his guy.

sigpooie

All Malz has done is fire up the old machine (alum cheating) he is not as smart as some would have you think.
And for any of you who thinks he is. I am going to tell you his trick.
Run more plays during the game. There you have it. Now if you can get a job at a local jr high and start running it, you too will be a great high school coach who is running a magical offense.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! Hunter "my buddy" Thompson

Roadrunner

Quote from: 3kgthog on February 09, 2010, 05:12:07 pm

No, the reason Tuberville resigned/fired was because he refused to get rid of the assistants that were not effective in their coaching.

Roadrunner

Quote from: Theolesnort on February 09, 2010, 07:08:00 pm
It's in the culture at Auburn. Their hand has been caught almost more than anyone else in the cookie jar. Old habits are hard to  Dye (pun intended though it started way past him). The Saban thing has got the Auburn people paranoid. The slush fund is more than full again but the problem is  they are not smart about it like Oklahoma. If you want to know how to do it they are the masters and experts at it. Auburn is headed for more embarrassment.

Not for nothing, but Auburn is tied in 2nd place for most infractions with about five other schools in the NCAA.
But they have not had any trouble with the NCAA since about 1991.
Alabama on the other hand, has been on probation for cheating 16 of the last 20 years, including presently.
Tenneesee is actually the school that has a hobby of turning Alabama in.  Most recently there are probably five SEC schools that have reported  Alabama for their shady tactics.

Cheating is like crime.
There is failure to pay a parking ticket and then there is capital murder.
Lots of people get parking tickets or run a stop sign occasionally; few have committed capital murder like Alabama.

If you think we are pure as the driven snow, think again.
You think HDN's recent allegations of stretching/bending/breaking rules are his first rodeo in breaking rules?

Hoggish1

Hoggish1

Quote from: RazorBacker215 on February 09, 2010, 05:12:56 pm

Well, there are recruiting classes that look great and win top places from the bloggers and gurus and there are solid classes that have great talent that the aforementioned "experts" overlooked or had no idea about.

We have the latter!  And you are right that we will start winning battles with Bama, Florida and other big players and I think it starts happening after the 2010 breakout season.

Oklahawg

Quote from: Oxbaker on February 09, 2010, 02:07:35 pm
This post is pretty much dead on.  Auburn typically does pretty well in recruiting.  Not as good as this year but in the 10-15 range consistently.  The difference this year was that Auburn was able to go head to head with bama on some recruits and come out on top.  This is unusual, even when Dye was there.  I think the allure of early playing time and the recent success Auburn has had with putting players in the NFL has a lot to do with this year's class.  All things considered I think Auburn is heading in the right direction by doing things the right way, not cheating like alleged by the original poster. 

I'll buy that. Cheating is going to happen. Impossible to stop completely.

I believe the cheating referred to was a sideways comment about the questionable tactics of a recruiting PIMP from the state of Arkansas. Ox, no need to worry about that discussion!
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

pigfunk

Quote from: zark on February 09, 2010, 06:49:57 pm
Let's wait for his product to produce BCS bowl wins before calling him a genius.  His genius offense wasn't that genius against one of the youngest, worst defenses in the SEC.

The fact Malzahn wrote a book about his offensive philosophy lets me know exactly the type of knowledge and person he is.

Petrino won't be writing a book any time soon, he doesn't have too.
Insightful post!

DeltaBoy

Nothing suprises me after I heard Daryl Royal years ago say I had a limitless budget at UT and I gave schoolies to kid I knew would never step foot on the field except for Senior day just to keep them from Arkansas and A&M.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

secfan123

Quote from: Roadrunner on February 10, 2010, 08:34:52 am
Not for nothing, but Auburn is tied in 2nd place for most infractions with about five other schools in the NCAA.
But they have not had any trouble with the NCAA since about 1991.
Alabama on the other hand, has been on probation for cheating 16 of the last 20 years, including presently.
Tenneesee is actually the school that has a hobby of turning Alabama in.  Most recently there are probably five SEC schools that have reported  Alabama for their shady tactics.

Cheating is like crime.
There is failure to pay a parking ticket and then there is capital murder.
Lots of people get parking tickets or run a stop sign occasionally; few have committed capital murder like Alabama.

If you think we are pure as the driven snow, think again.
You think HDN's recent allegations of stretching/bending/breaking rules are his first rodeo in breaking rules?

do tell roadrunner where you get this from. you say five sec schools- but don't name any. where do you get this magical inside info?

Roadrunner

Quote from: secfan123 on February 10, 2010, 01:32:04 pm
do tell roadrunner where you get this from. you say five sec schools- but don't name any. where do you get this magical inside info?

Actually, I was wrong. 
Make that seven SEC schools and 2 ACC schools have reported them.  :-)
During the memphis scandal---it was reported that we were one of those involved in the reporting of them.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/149493-is-someone-at-auburn-involved-it-a-plot-to-frame-alabama

Biggus Piggus

I was amused by the story about the Houston Nutt rule limiting total signees.

Had the author any perspective, he would have recalled another Houston Nutt rule.

In 2007, the NCAA tightened the medical hardship rule to require MD diagnosis.  Nutt, after he became infamous for having freshmen blow a season of eligibility on a few snaps, turned notorious for magical medical hardship cases.  Nutt got to the point he would try players out early in the season then manufacture a medical redshirt for that chronic hangnail.
[CENSORED]!

secfan123

Quote from: Roadrunner on February 10, 2010, 02:18:53 pm
Actually, I was wrong. 
Make that seven SEC schools and 2 ACC schools have reported them.  :-)
During the memphis scandal---it was reported that we were one of those involved in the reporting of them.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/149493-is-someone-at-auburn-involved-it-a-plot-to-frame-alabama

Number 1, you're citing bleacher report? Really? You realize that Bleacher report is not a news cource- it allows any joe blow who signs up to write whatever they want. Try citing this in a college class- you'll recieve a failing grade on your paper.

Number 2, you're not even citing the article you linked to- you're actually citing an internet posting within that article. The particular posting you're referring to is more or less an internet joke- what you are quoting is actually an internet posting on a message board. A bunch of posters got together, more or less, and began rumors. The issue they are talking about was resolved- the textbook thing. There are no investigators in town (strange for a school that is supposedly being investigated for 'dozens of major violations'). There has been no further letters. What you are essentially saying is that "I saw this on an internet board so it MUST be true!" While you're busy believing this, here's a fun fact for you: gullible is not in the dictionary. Seriously it isn't. Look it up.

Dropkick

Quote from: thewordthetruth on February 10, 2010, 04:10:06 pm
Well hello stupid hog *******s!!!!  ;D  You are pitiful.   >:(  You are a mediocre program at best with what many feel to be the worst recruiting class in the state of Arkansas even Arkansas State schooled you idiots!!!!!   You got some loser named Hocker but they got a kid from California ranked higher, they also got the two highest rated athletes in the state as well. And this Lawnhog48 guy is an absolute loser.  Auburn has Malzohn - the next big thing - probably headed to the NFL soon.  Why wouldn't they want to come here??????????? :-X  Pathetic - we play our in state schools - damn scared, lame ass wannabes!!!!!!!!   :puke:
How has that Malzahn against Arkansas been working out on the scoreboard. Hell, Willy has schooled the boy twice. Move along d*ckhead.

Dropkick

You should respect Troy, they played us a better game than Aubie.

Dropkick

Quote from: thewordthetruth on February 10, 2010, 04:23:00 pm
You are lame.  Auburn will torch Alibaba and the SEC over the next few years.  Malzahn will be coaching in the NFL, and you will still be laying it your sister.  Play your in state FBS schools you are a SEC bottom dweller, grow up and deal with the fact you are scared to play an SBC school in your own state.  We respect Troy more than the who-of-gay razorfags!!!!
What in state school does Aubie play that isn't in the SEC? Nobody!

Are you 13?

Razorpigg

Quote from: Dropkick on February 10, 2010, 04:24:52 pm
You should respect Troy, they played us a better game than Aubie.

HA!  +1.

stronguard

So did Jackson, Grant and Frankilin. 
If you don't know, now you know.

Chief Idiot of the Tavern

"Woke" is a term made up by people who have appointed themselves as intellectually superior as a way to describe themselves in comparison with those whom they deem ignorant.

Dropkick

February 10, 2010, 04:34:34 pm #44 Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 04:36:06 pm by Dropkick
Quote from: thewordthetruth on February 10, 2010, 04:26:09 pm
And so did ASU better than the Hogs!!!!
You guys were the easiest SEC game we had. It was over at halftime.

+1 to you for making me LMFAO

Dropkick

Quote from: thewordthetruth on February 10, 2010, 04:36:00 pm
In one sport or another - UAB and Troy.
In football dumb@ss, try and keep up while on the big boy board.

Dropkick

Quote from: thewordthetruth on February 10, 2010, 04:39:33 pm
No doubts - you took us this year.  Malzahn is not a God - YET!!!!!  As always the hog fags are scared of thier own state but act big - little man syndrome at it's finest!!!!
We not only "took you", we beat the living sh*t out of you and shut down the Gus bus. 

Dropkick

Quote from: thewordthetruth on February 10, 2010, 04:52:03 pm
In one way or another, many feel the SEC would be bigger and better in 10 years if the u of a for ASU.  They create a huge buzz and compete better against Auburn and Alibaba than do the u of a.  You guys can buy your kids for so long until the NCAA figures out the Waltons, Wlakers, Osbornes, Reynolds and the lot of illegel posturing.
Are you drinking or on dope, this is incoherent.

Childish gibberish.

Dropkick

Quote from: thewordthetruth on February 10, 2010, 04:59:12 pm
Drinking.  Celebrating the recruiting class. 
Most intelligent post on your resume. Congrats!

athunt

Quote from: thewordthetruth on February 10, 2010, 04:59:12 pm
Drinking.  Celebrating the recruiting class. 
You take your victories on paper, that is all you Barners will win for a while.

44-23
25-22

^Personally, I like these type of victories better.
-Reggie Johnson