Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Reb fan on recruiting

Started by 3BoarsDown, December 26, 2009, 08:36:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

3BoarsDown

One thing is now obvious about Nutt and recruiting.....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He is a dang good recruiter.  Problem for him at Arkansas, was that he was at Arkansas.  Has to be the hardest place to recruit to in the SEC along w/ MSU and Vandy.  Vandy basically for getting players in, MSU because it is a terrible town and school, and Arkansas for its horrid location.
Look at Petrino's class in Arkansas this year.  He doesn't have the luxury this year of reeling in the relationships that Nutt and crew had already established.  Arkansas is looking pitiful in recruiting, that location really hurts, but some of that may be just Petrino as a person as well.

If you look at what Nutt has done now in 2 straight years, it is better than anything he had at Arkansas.  I think we need to hang on to Nutt as long as we can, and he is trying to get some other things to help us become even more attractive to recruits.  We also need to hang on to these assistant coaches, although it is going to get harder and harder the more success we have.

LuckyGiraffe

I question your use of the word "success", but okay.  If 8-4 is successful to you, you will be pleased with Nutt for 20+ years.  Well, you will need to give him a free pass every 7 years or so...

Seebs

Reminds me of guys at a strip club thinking they are making headway with the talent.

Pathetic.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

grayhawg

Reb, you have so much to learn about the nuttster.

tbhogfan

All is well, Reb fans!!!  You were ranked in most everyone's Top 5, and ended up 8-4 and getting your head handed to you by a far inferior Miss St team! 

Houston is doing a great job filling Mississippi (Junior Colleges) with talent, so ignore your program and go troll other teams' boards.   

I guess we will have to deal with our horrible location and terrible coach. 
Go Hogs!

Boarbreath

Once Nutt is left with his own recruits you guys are going to struggle worse than Vandy or MSU.  But keep thinking delusional thoughts so you guys will keep him as long as possible.

3kgthog

I disagree with everything except the part about us being pitiful in recruiting this season. We really aren't doing well. Nearly all of our top choices are headed elsewhere. That doesn't mean BP is a great evaluator and didn't want them. It means we whiffed on them and we're down to our depth choices instead of guys that can help before 2012.

Steef

I'm really happy that any/all Reb fans are happy with HDN. Would love for HDN to remain at Oxford for a very long time.

That said, HDN is recruiting better at Oxford than he did with us. He's putting more effort into it.

He also put more effort into preparing the Rebs for last year's Cotton Bowl than he had in preparing ALL the Hog teams for ALL the bowls he took us to. They played a good game and won decisively.

In short, he's coaching better for them than he did for us.

Doesn't mean I miss him. In fact, it just confirms he was lazy here and he's gotta work at it more there. He doesn't have a cocoon of Broyles/White/Lindsay...and state media...covering his backside.

Also, he probably lives for beating us once each year, as evidenced by his very strange use of McCluster this season.

So let them be happy. This season was their best shot at Atlanta. They won't sniff it again.

We will.    ;D

And anyone who lives or studies anywhere in Mississippi doesn't need to be dissin' NWA. That's just dumb.

Gonzo

People still putting WAY too much stock in the Cotton Bowl game last year. Not that it wasn't a good win, but it sure as hell wasn't the great game many seem to think. The Rebs got to face a team that 1) wasn't as good as it had been rated through the year and 2) was completely deflated afte thinking one month earlier it had a chance to play for a national championship, until it was destroyed by OU. The very next week after that game, they struggled to beat Baylor at home.  I said all spring the all the Rebs preseason pub was based on them beating a beat up LSU team and overrated/deflated Tech team. Typical little run by ol' whatshisname

Go Hogs! Beat E Carolina!

Calling All Hogs

I certainly agree that you need to hold on to your Nutts as long as you can. "He is a dang good recruiter". And while you're in fantasy world the South will rise again and you guys won't have to wear those dang hoods to meetings anymore.

Hogaliciousness

3Boar - do you think you will get 6+ wins next year?  Even with the powderpuff schedule...  Why don't you speak to that while you are on our board.
I am ready for some football!

Earl

This thread is hilarious.....A reb comparing miss to NWA.

JackJohnson

Quote from: Hogaliciousness on December 26, 2009, 09:38:37 am
3Boar - do you think you will get 6+ wins next year?  Even with the powderpuff schedule...  Why don't you speak to that while you are on our board.

guys- 3boar is a hog fan.  Read through his posting history.  If you notice how his post is- he got this post off some ole miss board and simply pasted it here- these are not his thoughts

Pork Twain

Quote from: JackJohnson on December 26, 2009, 09:58:59 am
guys- 3boar is a hog fan.  Read through his posting history.  If you notice how his post is- he got this post off some ole miss board and simply pasted it here- these are not his thoughts
Good lord, he even labeled the thread for some of you dorks.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

MojaveJoe

Quote from: steefhog on December 26, 2009, 09:13:39 am
I'm really happy that any/all Reb fans are happy with HDN. Would love for HDN to remain at Oxford for a very long time.

That said, HDN is recruiting better at Oxford than he did with us. He's putting more effort into it.

He also put more effort into preparing the Rebs for last year's Cotton Bowl than he had in preparing ALL the Hog teams for ALL the bowls he took us to. They played a good game and won decisively.

In short, he's coaching better for them than he did for us.

Doesn't mean I miss him. In fact, it just confirms he was lazy here and he's gotta work at it more there. He doesn't have a cocoon of Broyles/White/Lindsay...and state media...covering his backside.

Also, he probably lives for beating us once each year, as evidenced by his very strange use of McCluster this season.

So let them be happy. This season was their best shot at Atlanta. They won't sniff it again.

We will.    ;D

And anyone who lives or studies anywhere in Mississippi doesn't need to be dissin' NWA. That's just dumb.

This ^^

Nutt pisses me off even more since we kicked his sorry ass to the curb. I hope we hang 100 on him next year.

Justifiable Hogicide

What a laugher. Could some Reb fans still be this clueless after witnessing Nutt's meltdown from #4 to #Nothing and a season ending beatdown by Miss State?

IronHog

The OM poster is right that NWA is a horrible location to recruit to.........

It is a long way from any real numbers of SEC type players, and a LONG way from the heart of SEC recruiting.  Texas kids want to play in Texas on teams covered by Texas media.  Fayetteville is just an OK college town, and UofA is rather bland compared to other major universities.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

3BoarsDown

Quote from: Hogaliciousness on December 26, 2009, 09:38:37 am

I'm the furthest thing from a Rebel fan you will ever find, I found that post on a Rebel board and was passing it on.

Oklahawg

Let them remain delusional.

Lost on some hog fans, Nutt was forced to hire some "outsider" staff members that have been key recruiters. How long a guy like Kent Austin wants to hang on and be subjected to the Murray State Mafia remains to be seen. I wonder if Tyrone Nix doesn't wind up gone once the carousel is done spinning. Both will hurt Nutt, as I doubt he can replace them with similar or superior talent.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

El Puerco

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 26, 2009, 03:29:04 pm
Let them remain delusional.

Lost on some hog fans, Nutt was forced to hire some "outsider" staff members that have been key recruiters. How long a guy like Kent Austin wants to hang on and be subjected to the Murray State Mafia remains to be seen. I wonder if Tyrone Nix doesn't wind up gone once the carousel is done spinning. Both will hurt Nutt, as I doubt he can replace them with similar or superior talent.

Why is Austin there?  Even Nutt has said publicly that he calls the plays.  If things go well, Nutt claims credit.  When things go badly, he throws everyone under the bus and calling the plays is suddenly a "team effort."

Oklahawg

Quote from: El Puerco on December 26, 2009, 03:32:41 pm
Why is Austin there?  Even Nutt has said publicly that he calls the plays.  If things go well, Nutt claims credit.  When things go badly, he throws everyone under the bus and calling the plays is suddenly a "team effort."

Pete Boone mandate, I believe.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

El Puerco

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 26, 2009, 03:37:27 pm
Pete Boone mandate, I believe.

What a terrible job.  How does Austin like the Tulsa area?

regi

Arkansas put together the 14th best class in the country last season, has the campus moved? The A&M game will pay off soon. This season's recruiting struggle is a mystery, time will tell if it improves.

Ole Miss is not exactly having a big time class, maybe it is for them however. The thing that helps Ole Miss the Most is 5 of 9 assistants and their top ga are all black. Good job by Hootie to put together a plan to fight their number 1 negative in recruiting.

hogansas

Nutt is a "star" recruiter, and anyone who thinks he is great doesn't understand building a team.  A lot on hogville have this problem, also.  I guarantee that Petrino hasn't relied on Rivals or Scout to evaluate his players.  He looks at a kid and thinks, "Can this kid do what I want him to do in my system?"  I talked to one recruit and he was told, "We can teach you your position, but we can't coach speed."  That tells me that this Arkansas staff is looking for measureables and not hype. They have enough confidence in their coaching ability to take a player and mold them into a machine.  Go back and look at Louisville's post-career rankings per class and see where Petrino's classes fell.  Personally, I like this approach a little more because he will be getting players that are coachable and not a lot of premodonna's (spelling). I would almost bet that Nutt continued to watch his rating last year until he broke the top 20.  That's why he signed so many players that the SEC put a limit on it from now on.  Problem with this is that soon, Ole Miss will have a ton of nice name skill players, but no one to block for them or put them back on the field (see Arkansas when he left).
"You can't trust every quote you read on the Internet." - Abraham Lincoln.

98hogs

Quote from: 3BoarsDown on December 26, 2009, 08:36:58 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He is a dang good recruiter.  Problem for him at Arkansas, was that he was at Arkansas.  Has to be the hardest place to recruit to in the SEC along w/ MSU and Vandy.  Vandy basically for getting players in, MSU because it is a terrible town and school, and Arkansas for its horrid location.
Look at Petrino's class in Arkansas this year.  He doesn't have the luxury this year of reeling in the relationships that Nutt and crew had already established.  Arkansas is looking pitiful in recruiting, that location really hurts, but some of that may be just Petrino as a person as well.

If you look at what Nutt has done now in 2 straight years, it is better than anything he had at Arkansas.  I think we need to hang on to Nutt as long as we can, and he is trying to get some other things to help us become even more attractive to recruits.  We also need to hang on to these assistant coaches, although it is going to get harder and harder the more success we have.

Nutt is great Reb.  Greatest recruiter ever.  Give him unlimited texting and he will stay forever!

Clint Alan

Message I got the other day....I normally dont share things like this with the board, but seeing this thread, I had to pass it on....I just copied and pasted for you guys.........

Ole Miss is about to have a big NCAA hammer dropped on them. If people think what Bama did with Albert Means was bad -- they have 4 or 5 recruits that they have bought the last 2 years (I think the booster's name is Dunlop - he bought Deuce McAllister too). If/when Ole Miss gets a PLOI - it is gonna be VERY ugly. They won't have the resources to crawl out of the hole like Bama did either.
"It isn't hard to be good from time to time in sports. What's tough is being good every day." - Willie Mays

Oklahawg

Quote from: rubmyHOG on December 26, 2009, 04:52:08 pm
Message I got the other day....I normally dont share things like this with the board, but seeing this thread, I had to pass it on....I just copied and pasted for you guys.........

Ole Miss is about to have a big NCAA hammer dropped on them. If people think what Bama did with Albert Means was bad -- they have 4 or 5 recruits that they have bought the last 2 years (I think the booster's name is Dunlop - he bought Deuce McAllister too). If/when Ole Miss gets a PLOI - it is gonna be VERY ugly. They won't have the resources to crawl out of the hole like Bama did either.

Ole Miss needs to up Nutt's salary enough to be able to increse the buyout by $3-5MM. Make Nuttcase have to stick it out and endure.

farmhawg

Wow, that wouldn't surprise me and I hope he has to lie in it. The problem is he will claim ignorance and run off to another school.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Clint Alan

Quote from: farmhawg on December 26, 2009, 09:29:30 pm
Wow, that wouldn't surprise me and I hope he has to lie in it. The problem is he will claim ignorance and run off to another school.

Nutt doesnt have to claim ignorance
"It isn't hard to be good from time to time in sports. What's tough is being good every day." - Willie Mays

The Phoenix

adamratrod

Better than anything we had at arkansas in his two years? All of nutts star players those two years arent even his players. Most of our best players are freshman and sophmores. Ur precious nutt chose to have the whole springdale boys scandal instead of mallet. He couldnt get our best reciever in joe adams or our most used tailback in broderick green.  He did however leave us with no defensive recruiting for 3 years and alot of drama so next year when that new wears off of all u rebel fans, u will see the light and understand why he is hated in arkansas. And then he will leave ur school in a mess too.

southeasthog

Quote from: El Puerco on December 26, 2009, 03:32:41 pm
This is FALSE!

He said the he calls first and second down but let's Austin call third and long.  ;D

keithh1999

Quote from: rubmyHOG on December 26, 2009, 09:42:54 pm
Nutt doesnt have to claim ignorance

No, He doesn't have to "claim" -- His Pic is the Webster's Dictionary. Ignorance: Hooter's pic
Pig Farmers are cool.

cbjagman

Why would the Hooter let KA call the third and longs? Heck, how much skill does it take to call either a draw play or a pass play that will be thrown at least 3 yards short of the first down and stopped short of the marker?

farmhawg

From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

jgphillips3

Nutt = short term fix and lack of vision.

Petrino = focused, strategic, long term planning to build a program to consistently compete.

I hope he stays in Oxford a long time. Payback starts this year.

El Puerco

hawgbawb

I think that the location issue is a legitimate handicap, because so much of our geographical area, within say a 300 mile radius of Fayetteville, is in Big 12 States.

On the flip side, if a guy from Oklahoma, Missouri, or Kansas wants to play in the best conference in the land, Arkanssas is your closest option.  All things considered, I think it is a slight negative, but certainly not an insurmountable challenge.
I post, therefor I am.
John Highsmith Adams rocks.

LuckyGiraffe

One of the things I have noticed in various quotes concerning recruiting is that it seems that Petrino does not just go in and blow sunshine up a kid's butt to get him to sign.  He appears to be honest and tell a kid, "We will offer if player x says no" and doesn't guarantee playing time to ANYONE.   This will all pay off, but will take more time than shady recruiting practices that may pay off sooner and cause dissent in the locker room.

cbjagman

Actually a very good thing for the Nutter if it happens. Think of how many years of "free passes" he could work with in this situation. Not only that but the Dale and Sexton would have even more time to try to work ANOTHER BUYOUT to go to another school.

LR Hog

Quote from: 3BoarsDown on December 26, 2009, 08:36:58 am

Dude, just shut up.  Please just shut up.
Like a boss.

Gohawgs 71

Quote from: Earl on December 26, 2009, 09:48:53 am
This thread is hilarious.....A reb comparing miss to NWA.

Think his point is about logistics vs our SEC schools/region....lets face it, its can be a hindrance when recruiting

rebelbruiser

Quote from: hawgbawb on December 27, 2009, 04:26:19 pm
I think that the location issue is a legitimate handicap, because so much of our geographical area, within say a 300 mile radius of Fayetteville, is in Big 12 States.

On the flip side, if a guy from Oklahoma, Missouri, or Kansas wants to play in the best conference in the land, Arkanssas is your closest option.  All things considered, I think it is a slight negative, but certainly not an insurmountable challenge.

I've always thought that was Arkansas's biggest handicap.  You're in a state that doesn't produce nearly enough talent to build a consistent winner on in-state talent alone even if you do take all the best in-state players.

So you have to go out of state to supplement.  I honestly think the situations at MSU and Ole Miss are about the same when it comes to in-state talent because Mississippi produces more in-state talent, and the numbers back it up. 

Arkansas has produced 27 home grown NFL draft picks since 1988.  MSU has produced 27 home grown NFL draft picks in the same period.  Ole Miss has produced 22 home grown NFL draft picks.  So even though we have to split our state, we still get about as much talent from in-state as Arkansas gets with a virtual monopoly on the state.

So when you look at those numbers, all 3 schools have to supplement with out of state talent about the same amount in order to have success.  Obviously, for Arkansas the states that make the most geographic sense are almost all Big 12 states where the players grow up reading about Big 12 schools in the newspaper, etc.  The SEC is a good draw I'm sure, but still if a player is from Houston or Oklahoma City, which schools do you think will get more coverage in his hometown paper?  Arkansas or Texas A&M/Oklahoma State/Kansas/Missouri.  It'll be the Big 12 schools.  The one plus is the TV deal with the SEC.  That should help level that out of state playing field, because the SEC will get enough exposure in their hometowns that their families will get to see a lot of them anyway at an SEC school.

Geographically though, you'd still probably have more recruiting success if you were in the Big 12 compared to the SEC.

IronHog

Quote from: rebelbruiser on December 28, 2009, 10:20:59 pm
I've always thought that was Arkansas's biggest handicap.  You're in a state that doesn't produce nearly enough talent to build a consistent winner on in-state talent alone even if you do take all the best in-state players.

So you have to go out of state to supplement.  I honestly think the situations at MSU and Ole Miss are about the same when it comes to in-state talent because Mississippi produces more in-state talent, and the numbers back it up. 

Arkansas has produced 27 home grown NFL draft picks since 1988.  MSU has produced 27 home grown NFL draft picks in the same period.  Ole Miss has produced 22 home grown NFL draft picks.  So even though we have to split our state, we still get about as much talent from in-state as Arkansas gets with a virtual monopoly on the state.

So when you look at those numbers, all 3 schools have to supplement with out of state talent about the same amount in order to have success.  Obviously, for Arkansas the states that make the most geographic sense are almost all Big 12 states where the players grow up reading about Big 12 schools in the newspaper, etc.  The SEC is a good draw I'm sure, but still if a player is from Houston or Oklahoma City, which schools do you think will get more coverage in his hometown paper?  Arkansas or Texas A&M/Oklahoma State/Kansas/Missouri.  It'll be the Big 12 schools.  The one plus is the TV deal with the SEC.  That should help level that out of state playing field, because the SEC will get enough exposure in their hometowns that their families will get to see a lot of them anyway at an SEC school.

Geographically though, you'd still probably have more recruiting success if you were in the Big 12 compared to the SEC.

Winner.

The only, and I mean only reason for Arkansas to play football in the SEC is money.

Even that is overstated when you consider Arkansas could move all games to campus AND command a special deal in the Big 12.

Texas/Oklahoma/Missou>SEC states for Arkansas recruiting.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

HognVA

Quote from: hogansas on December 26, 2009, 04:34:54 pm
Nutt is a "star" recruiter, and anyone who thinks he is great doesn't understand building a team.  A lot on hogville have this problem, also.  I guarantee that Petrino hasn't relied on Rivals or Scout to evaluate his players.  He looks at a kid and thinks, "Can this kid do what I want him to do in my system?"  I talked to one recruit and he was told, "We can teach you your position, but we can't coach speed."  That tells me that this Arkansas staff is looking for measureables and not hype. They have enough confidence in their coaching ability to take a player and mold them into a machine.  Go back and look at Louisville's post-career rankings per class and see where Petrino's classes fell.  Personally, I like this approach a little more because he will be getting players that are coachable and not a lot of premodonna's (spelling). I would almost bet that Nutt continued to watch his rating last year until he broke the top 20.  That's why he signed so many players that the SEC put a limit on it from now on.  Problem with this is that soon, Ole Miss will have a ton of nice name skill players, but no one to block for them or put them back on the field (see Arkansas when he left).

Couple problems with your arguments. 1.-Louiville was in the Big East 2.- Petrino WANTED some higher star players this year and missed them. I would accept the "forget about stars/ Petrino dont care about stars" argument if we got the guys we wanted and they were not highly ranked. The fact is that we missed on several highly rated recruits. I hope like heck that this class ends up being better than it looks but it doesnt look that good now.

cbjagman

Well the other issue that gives the Hooter an advantage is the "better tradition". Dale mentioned that several years ago when he landed in Retard land. How can anyone compete with that?

BTW rebelbruiser blow it up your rear!

rebelbruiser

Quote from: cbjagman on December 29, 2009, 12:57:11 pm
Well the other issue that gives the Hooter an advantage is the "better tradition". Dale mentioned that several years ago when he landed in Retard land. How can anyone compete with that?

BTW rebelbruiser blow it up your rear!

Thanks for your glowing comments, and I like you too.  I didn't say it was easier to recruit at Ole Miss or MSU, just that we both have to go out of state about the same amount as Arkansas to have success.

I happen to think Arkansas's ties in Texas are beneficial.  However, you're still dealing with recruiting in a state that primarily supports another conference.

For Ole Miss or MSU, we really have to go into states like Louisiana, Georgia, or Florida for the most part and take leftovers for our out of state talent.  You can find a lot of really good football players that way, but it's not as easy as having the talent home grown.  We can go into Alabama, but once you get to the talent that's not picked up by Auburn or Alabama, the state of Alabama doesn't have nearly as much to offer as the others I mention.

Burt B.

Quote from: LR Hog on December 28, 2009, 09:07:23 pm
Dude, just shut up.  Please just shut up.

You do realize that he took that off an ole piss board to pass along right?

El Puerco

Quote from: IronHog on December 28, 2009, 11:44:50 pm
The only, and I mean only reason for Arkansas to play football in the SEC is money.

Good thing that $$$ rules