Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Mexico State kickoff time

Started by JackMcQueen, September 18, 2017, 10:56:10 am

Previous topic - Next topic

JackMcQueen

2 SEC titles, 4 SEC West titles, 28 NCAA Tournaments, 6 NCAA Super Regionals, 8 College World Series
THIS...IS...BASEBALL!

jacobp

Not a shocker. Lots of conference matchups that day eating up the better time slots.

EastexHawg

Undoubtedly dozens of fans outside the states of Arkansas and New Mexico will tune in for this blockbuster matchup.  New Mexico State carries a certain gravitas with them into every game they play.  Playing a meat grinder Sun Belt schedule, they have racked up the following records the last five years:

2012  1-11
2013  2-10
2014  2-10
2015  3-9
2016  3-9

Word on the street is that the original plan was to play Westminster College instead, but they couldn't get out of their scheduled matchup with Bethany this weekend.

Seriously, why are games like this even allowed?  If and when the playoff expands to include all conference champions regardless of record, I hope a rule is put in place that P5 conference members can only schedule games against other P5s and major independents.  I used to listen to every Arkansas football and basketball game through the static of AM radio stations long before the SEC network and even ESPN existed, but I have no interest in watching an SEC program play New Mexico State or Florida A&M.

HawgTrough

WPS

Tusks

If the hogs lose to the ags this weekend we might see under 50k.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

ricepig

Quote from: tusked on September 18, 2017, 11:31:48 am

It's Family Weekend/Dad's Day at most of the sororities, that usually means a decent crowd. I figure 63,000 announced.

Dominicanhog

we'll see nothing but 11:00, unless we go on a winning streak...

Dirty

Stadium should be packed!  Not an empty seat in the house!

san1981

Don't sleep on NMSU. They are vastly improved and returned 16 starters. Hung 42 on Kentucky last year.

onebadrubi

Quote from: EastexHawg on September 18, 2017, 11:11:23 am
Undoubtedly dozens of fans outside the states of Arkansas and New Mexico will tune in for this blockbuster matchup.  New Mexico State carries a certain gravitas with them into every game they play.  Playing a meat grinder Sun Belt schedule, they have racked up the following records the last five years:

2012  1-11
2013  2-10
2014  2-10
2015  3-9
2016  3-9

Word on the street is that the original plan was to play Westminster College instead, but they couldn't get out of their scheduled matchup with Bethany this weekend.

Seriously, why are games like this even allowed?  If and when the playoff expands to include all conference champions regardless of record, I hope a rule is put in place that P5 conference members can only schedule games against other P5s and major independents.  I used to listen to every Arkansas football and basketball game through the static of AM radio stations long before the SEC network and even ESPN existed, but I have no interest in watching an SEC program play New Mexico State or Florida A&M.

They are showing to be a much better team this year.  Unfortunately, the way things have been going I wouldn't sleep on them when the time comes.

RME

Quote from: EastexHawg on September 18, 2017, 11:11:23 am

2012  1-11
2013  2-10
2014  2-10
2015  3-9
2016  3-9

Then don't. No one is forcing you to watch it.

Kevin

lose this weekend, it will look like the spring game in  there next week
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

onebadrubi

Quote from: Dirty on September 18, 2017, 11:51:38 am
Stadium should be packed!  Not an empty seat in the house!

Just like the expectations of WMS, right?

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Kevin on September 18, 2017, 11:52:40 am

jacobp

rzrbkman

Quote from: san1981 on September 18, 2017, 11:52:11 am
Don't sleep on NMSU. They are vastly improved and returned 16 starters. Hung 42 on Kentucky last year.

NMSU did not look too impressive in a loss to Troy Saturday night.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Kevin on September 18, 2017, 11:52:40 am

Indoors?
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

EastexHawg

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on September 18, 2017, 11:52:26 am
Then don't. No one is forcing you to watch it.

Just what this and other programs need, fewer fans watching on TV and attending in person.  You must have been a marketing major in college, right?

Every early September weekend I look at the schedule to see which games I want to watch and there are usually 6-8 decent matchups.  The rest are crap.  The NFL, long thought to be invincible in terms of fan interest, is suffering drops in both TV viewership and attendance.  But why would the people who run college football programs try to learn anything?  Just keep on keeping on...

RME

Quote from: EastexHawg on September 18, 2017, 12:30:34 pm
Just what this and other programs need, fewer fans watching on TV and attending in person.  You must have been a marketing major in college, right?

Every early September weekend I look at the schedule to see which games I want to watch and there are usually 6-8 decent matchups.  The rest are crap.  The NFL, long thought to be invincible in terms of fan interest, is suffering drops in both TV viewership and attendance.  But why would the people who run college football programs try to learn anything?  Just keep on keeping on...

Bitching about lack of fans watching/attending, right after you said you have no desire to watch. Interesting tactic there.

Did Long select this time slot? No.

Does any P5 school play all P5 nonconference games? I don't think so.

Would anyone outside of Arkansas watch this game even if it were the 7 pm ESPN 2 slot? Not with the other games going on at that time.

hobhog

Quote from: ricepig on September 18, 2017, 11:43:53 am
It's Family Weekend/Dad's Day at most of the sororities, that usually means a decent crowd. I figure 63,000 announced.

Beat Aggies and it will be decent crowd. Can't imagine it being late game....

ricepig

Quote from: hobhog on September 18, 2017, 12:40:11 pm
Beat Aggies and it will be decent crowd. Can't imagine it being late game....

The start time won't help, but it should be a good crowd.

EastexHawg

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on September 18, 2017, 12:36:19 pm
Bitching about lack of fans watching/attending, right after you said you have no desire to watch. Interesting tactic there.

Did Long select this time slot? No.

Does any P5 school play all P5 nonconference games? I don't think so.

Would anyone outside of Arkansas watch this game even if it were the 7 pm ESPN 2 slot? Not with the other games going on at that time.

Apparently you missed the part where I said I hope when the playoff field is expanded, and all conference champions are included regardless of record...meaning a team could get in with an 8-4 record, thus eliminating the need to protect against losing an OOC game...these cupcake matchups that no one in America is interested in seeing go away.

I also didn't say Long.  I said the people who run college football, meaning the NCAA and all athletic administrators.  College football is no more invincible than the NFL was thought to be, and people are tuning out and staying home in that case.

If tickets to games were sold on a per-game basis, there wouldn't be 35,000 people in the stands to watch New Mexico State.  That fans basically have to buy season tickets in order to attend the interesting matchups is why attendance of 65,000 or more can be announced.  Having bought season tickets for many years, and tried to sell the ones I didn't want to use, I can tell you for sure that many of the people who actually are in the stands on game day will have paid far below face value, if they paid anything at all, to attend.

How long can athletic departments in effect coerce their fans into buying tickets to games they don't want to attend?  I don't know, but in an increasingly competitive market for entertainment dollars the NFL and other institutions are finding there are limitations. 

This isn't just an Arkansas thing.  I wouldn't walk across the street to get a free beer if it involved having to sit through watching Florida pummel Bethune Cookman.  But, this is an Arkansas message board so "contests" against opponents such as Florida A&M, New Mexico State, and Coastal Carolina are relevant.

RME

Quote from: EastexHawg on September 18, 2017, 01:50:50 pm
This isn't just an Arkansas thing.  I wouldn't walk across the street to get a free beer if it involved having to sit through watching Florida pummel Bethune Cookman.  But, this is an Arkansas message board so "contests" against opponents such as Florida A&M, New Mexico State, and Coastal Carolina are relevant.

Passing up free beer to watch football? I don't think we'd get along.

Also, I'd imagine LSU matchups against Troy and Chattanooga and Georgia matchups against Samford and Appalachian State are relevant to them, too.

san1981

Quote from: rzrbkman on September 18, 2017, 12:02:19 pm
NMSU did not look too impressive in a loss to Troy Saturday night.

I'm not saying they will win but they aren't Florida A&M. They played Arizona State close and out gained them 549 to 400.

rzrbkman

Quote from: san1981 on September 18, 2017, 02:11:33 pm
I'm not saying they will win but they aren't Florida A&M. They played Arizona State close and out gained them 549 to 400.

Arizona St. has played 3 games, giving up 31, 30 and 52 points. They have no defense.

Hoggish1

Quote from: tusked on September 18, 2017, 11:31:48 am

But, if they win we will likely see a sell out.  See how easy that is?

jawhog

Should  HOGS lose the aTm game expect 15m or less for the NMSU game