Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tennessee meeting this afternoon on Butch...

Started by BR, October 29, 2017, 03:01:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BR

https://www.seccountry.com/tennessee/tennessee-football-vols-butch-jones-future-1029
University of Tennessee officials are discussing Butch Jones' immediate future as coach of the Vols on Sunday afternoon, according to sources close to the program.
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

rhames

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

hoghearted

It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

Jackrabbit Hog

I despise Tennessee, but I was rooting for them to beat Kentucky last night so they might reconsider and keep Jones.  Doesn't look like there's even a possibility of that now.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

BR

They want a chance to hire a coach before Florida..

DoubleReedHawgCaller

A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

Hollywood_HOGan45

rhames

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on October 29, 2017, 03:03:41 pm
I despise Tennessee, but I was rooting for them to beat Kentucky last night so they might reconsider and keep Jones.  Doesn't look like there's even a possibility of that now.
Word I heard from over in east Tennessee was there was no way they were going to seriously consider retaining Jones even had they manage to beat UK. They're ready to "clean house" and start over.

RexMentor

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on October 29, 2017, 03:12:11 pm
Somebody is going to beat us to norvell.
No one will beat anybody to Norvell. He'll wait until the end of the season and then field offers.

DEVIL DOG HOG

Coaches will wait until the end of their season, then sell their services to the highest bidder.
"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

BR

Quote from: DEVIL DOG HOG on October 29, 2017, 03:20:01 pm
Coaches will wait until the end of their season, then sell their services to the highest bidder.
Not anymore with the new signing date for Recruiting in December.. 

rhames

Quote from: BR on October 29, 2017, 03:20:58 pm

So a coach is going to leave his current school 4 weeks early?

I'll say this

Arkansas, Flordia and Tennessee (and whoever else has an opening) will all make their hires that later part of the first week in December or into the second week.

King Kong

Quote from: RexMentor on October 29, 2017, 03:18:09 pm
No one will beat anybody to Norvell. He'll wait until the end of the season and then field offers.

As will every other sitting coach

hog.goblin

AirWarren

Quote from: DoubleReedHawgCaller on October 29, 2017, 03:08:41 pm
While at Arkansas....

Then we hire Paul Rhodes or enos as interim. The players fall in love with the "players coach" Bs. Jeff loves it. And we keep the interim for next year.

No. No. No. let the season play out if indeed he is going to be fired. I don't want an interim. Florida will retain Shannon as head coach. Just watch.

But I honestly feel like B will get another year.

hog.goblin

Quote from: AP85 on October 29, 2017, 04:24:06 pm
Then we hire Paul Rhodes or enos as interim. The players fall in love with the "players coach" Bs. Jeff loves it. And we keep the interim for next year.

No. No. No. let the season play out if indeed he is going to be fired. I don't want an interim. Florida will retain Shannon as head coach. Just watch.

But I honestly feel like B will get another year.

I agree with most of this except Randy Shannon.  FL doesn't want a defensive minded coach at this point.  Someone who might retain him as DC?  Sure.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

texas tush hog

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on October 29, 2017, 03:15:57 pm
Word I heard from over in east Tennessee was there was no way they were going to seriously consider retaining Jones even had they manage to beat UK. They're ready to "clean house" and start over.

Matt Campbell come on down.

Hoggie17

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on October 29, 2017, 03:12:11 pm
Somebody is going to beat us to norvell.
That's right, Long should be trying to sell Norvell on the Arkansas job right now. The season is already ruined, we have 1 sure victory left.  We need to forget about this year and plan for the future.

jgphillips3

If we "offer" Norvell comparable money, I would be willing to bet he chooses us over Florida or Tennessee.  For all those who say our expectations are out of whack, look at those fan bases and tell me what you see?  For Christ sake, who wants a job where your expectations are so high you are fired halfway into your third year when you can make the same money at a program where, even though the coach is a failure, some idiots want to give him a sixth year?  Norvell is from Texas, has Arkansas ties and knows we'll build a statue to him for what Florida would fire him over.  Now, I know once upon a time it was different.  However, when was the last time Florida, LSU or Tennessee managed to hire a BIG name and why do you think that is?  Coaches aren't stupid.  They do factor expectations, stability and longevity into their decisions.

GuvHog

Quote from: Hoggie17 on October 29, 2017, 09:39:27 pm
That's right, Long should be trying to sell Norvell on the Arkansas job right now. The season is already ruined, we have 1 sure victory left.  We need to forget about this year and plan for the future.

Norvell most likely wouldn't talk directly to Jeff Long at this juncture so Long would have to talk to Norvell's agent and let him talk to Norvell privately.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: BR on October 29, 2017, 03:20:58 pm

Anybody leaving 4 weeks early will get labeled as a bad guy for leaving his current players in the middle of the season.  The former school will bad mouth it to the press. The fans of the former team will spew venom.  Some players will suddenly remember bad stories about their now gone coach.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: jgphillips3 on October 30, 2017, 08:39:50 am
If we "offer" Norvell comparable money, I would be willing to bet he chooses us over Florida or Tennessee.  For all those who say our expectations are out of whack, look at those fan bases and tell me what you see?  For Christ sake, who wants a job where your expectations are so high you are fired halfway into your third year when you can make the same money at a program where, even though the coach is a failure, some idiots want to give him a sixth year?  Norvell is from Texas, has Arkansas ties and knows we'll build a statue to him for what Florida would fire him over.  Now, I know once upon a time it was different.  However, when was the last time Florida, LSU or Tennessee managed to hire a BIG name and why do you think that is?  Coaches aren't stupid.  They do factor expectations, stability and longevity into their decisions.

The answer is recruiting base.  If all the schools will fire you for not winning, best to go to the school that has twice the recruiting base.

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: Hoggie17 on October 29, 2017, 09:39:27 pm

1.  I'm not ready to tell Allen, Bijhon, and other seniors we're forgetting about the rest of this year.
2.  Norvell ain't coming to Arkansas unless the bigger names go ahead an pass. Norvell has done well enough that someone else will offer him.  He's smart enough not to say yes immediately, before finding out who else is interested. He knows what Arkansas' recruiting base is.

hawgon

Florida ain't as easy as it was a when Miami was down and it was Florida and FSU.  Their facilities are now officially crap and are worse than every SEC school except Vandy.  They are just about the only Big 5 team in the country without an indoor facility.  UCF and USF now have better facilities and Miami is good again.

smb

GeorgiaHOG

hogsanity

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on October 30, 2017, 08:54:11 am
The answer is recruiting base.  If all the schools will fire you for not winning, best to go to the school that has twice the recruiting base.

Haven't you heard, recruiting base does not matter, just gotta get players that "want it" more.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

rzrbk4life

Let's call those hogs!!!!

Jimbob111

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on October 30, 2017, 08:58:07 am
1.  I'm not ready to tell Allen, Bijhon, and other seniors we're forgetting about the rest of this year.
2.  Norvell ain't coming to Arkansas unless the bigger names go ahead an pass. Norvell has done well enough that someone else will offer him.  He's smart enough not to say yes immediately, before finding out who else is interested. He knows what Arkansas' recruiting base is.

Firing Bielema isn't telling the seniors we are forgetting about the rest of the year. With his record, you would be telling the seniors that you care about the rest of the year.
"DO NOT POST IN THE GAME THREAD ANYMORE TODAY OR YOU WILL RECIEVE A 30 BAN!"--

Multiple play-by-play posters followed by "Good job, D" and "Way to go, Offense" is so interesting to read over and over as the team gets blown out and the coaches flounder. I can't figure out why game threads don't have 60 to 80 pages now.

Am I the only one that misses the old, interesting game threads?

GuvHog

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on October 30, 2017, 08:52:27 am
Anybody leaving 4 weeks early will get labeled as a bad guy for leaving his current players in the middle of the season.  The former school will bad mouth it to the press. The fans of the former team will spew venom.  Some players will suddenly remember bad stories about their now gone coach.

If Long privately talks to Norvell's agent and arranges a deal with Norvell under the table and Norvell accepts privately through his agent, Long can then announce that CBB will not be retained after the regular season ends and say nothing more. Then after the Memphis Tigers last game is over, Long can ask UM for permission to talk to Norvell about the job and officially offer it to him. Norvell would officially accept, a press conference would be quickly be arranged where he would be introduced and get immediately to work solidifying the recruiting class for the early signing period.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

ipigsooie

Quote from: GuvHog on October 30, 2017, 09:10:32 am
If Long privately talks to Norvell's agent and arranges a deal with Norvell under the table and Norvell accepts privately through his agent, Long can then announce that CBB will not be retained after the regular season ends and say nothing more. Then after the Memphis Tigers last game is over, Long can ask UM for permission to talk to Norvell about the job and officially offer it to him. Norvell would officially accept, a press conference would be quickly be arranged where he would be introduced and get immediately to work solidifying the recruiting class for the early signing period.

I feel like this may be what is happening behind the scenes. 

DeltaBoy

No reports they fired the Tinner coach yet.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

hogsanity

Then why announce early that BB will not be retained. IF all the other hypotheticals happen, and IF Norvell has "accepted" or said he will accept when offered, just do it like it is usually done. Everyone plays their last game of the regular season, BB gets let go, Norvell gets offered and accepts.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

DeltaBoy

Yep most will set back and let FLA look like the bad guys.

cc

Quote from: RexMentor on October 29, 2017, 03:18:09 pm

Its the old I'm not  talking to that school answer but I bet his agent is.

hogsanity

Quote from: cc on October 30, 2017, 09:24:43 am
Its the old I'm not  talking to that school answer but I bet his agent is.

Which is one reason to have an agent.

With as many schools that it looks like will be looking for a new coach, I doubt anyone jumps on any job very early. Just in the SEC alone it could be as many as 6 schools.

cc

Beat me to it if.   That is if we have an opening and that is who is targeted.  We ought to know by now that the smoke about anyone is probable intentional leaking to distract from what is really happening.

cc

Quote from: hogsanity on October 30, 2017, 09:26:46 am
Which is one reason to have an agent.

With as many schools that it looks like will be looking for a new coach, I doubt anyone jumps on any job very early. Just in the SEC alone it could be as many as 6 schools.

Only way that a coach would jump early is if it was the ideal situation. 

hogsanity

Quote from: cc on October 30, 2017, 09:30:06 am
Only way that a coach would jump early is if it was the ideal situation. 

IF a school just fired a coach for not winning enough games, it is not an "ideal" situation.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: jgphillips3 on October 30, 2017, 08:39:50 am

Exaggerations.

None of these programs expectations are out of whack. 

McElwain didn't just lose the job because of on the field. 

Butch on the field has been unacceptable by any of our standards especially when considering their recruiting.  They had an opportunity with UGa and Florida being down and couldn't step up. 

An Arkansas coach going 7-5 and 8-4 will not make past 4-5 seasons with a happy fan base.  They may have enough support to keep their job.  And if we get into another coach for life situation, they may stay for a while longer especially if they don't go Dale and screw it up. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on October 30, 2017, 08:58:07 am
Im so thankful for fans like you. Most people forget that these are peoples kids. They put their time, sweat, and blood into our program. They want to win even more than we do. casting them aside at this point in the season would be like spitting in their faces
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hawgon on October 30, 2017, 08:59:08 am
Florida ain't as easy as it was a when Miami was down and it was Florida and FSU.  Their facilities are now officially crap and are worse than every SEC school except Vandy.  They are just about the only Big 5 team in the country without an indoor facility.  UCF and USF now have better facilities and Miami is good again.

Florida does have an indoor practice facility and has had for a few years. Georgia was the last SEC team not to have a practice facility and they just built one.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

hawgon

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 30, 2017, 10:10:34 am
Florida does have an indoor practice facility and has had for a few years. Georgia was the last SEC team not to have a practice facility and they just built one.

Ok

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 30, 2017, 10:10:34 am

Aside from Vanderbilt and maybe Missouri, everybody in the SEC has Taj Mahal facilities now.  I mean, how much more can you pamper athletes? 
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

nwahogfan1

I think they made up their minds several games ago and I just bet you he knows what they will tell him.     I thought they would wait until after the season.

Inhogswetrust

So you constantly skewer Long saying he doesn't have integrity yet you then want him to do something like that which would show a lack of it when trying to hire someone. Only you can come up with something that ironic.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on October 30, 2017, 10:13:16 am
Aside from Vanderbilt and maybe Missouri, everybody in the SEC has Taj Mahal facilities now.  I mean, how much more can you pamper athletes? 

They basically live for 4-5 years in all-inclusive, taxpayer-funded resorts.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on October 30, 2017, 10:13:16 am

Pay them I guess.  That is what it will take to make some happy but do give them a percentage of jersey sales or percentage of the gate or just give them all about the same like what I hear they are doing now.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hawgon on October 30, 2017, 10:11:34 am
Ok

They also have plans for a new football facility like we and others have built with new locker, meeting, training rooms and offices. Estimates between $60 to $100 million.