Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sutton to Anderson, Coach accomplishments 7 years in.

Started by oldbooniehog, January 29, 2018, 12:42:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

oldbooniehog

Did a quick check today on past and current Arkansas coaching accomplishments.

Initially, I limited it to the first 7 years of coaches who were at Arkansas for at least 7 years.

Eddie Sutton
5 NCAA tourney appearances in first 7 years.
Reached Final Four once.
Reached Elite Eight twice (ended in Elite Eight once, hit Elite Eight on way to Final Four)

Nolan Richardson
Reached Final Four Once
Reached Elite Eight twice (again, like Sutton, ended in Elite 8, and got to Elite 8 on way to Final Four)

Mike Anderson
Two NCAA tourney appearances. (Will probably get third this year, but it hasn't happened yet)
Never got past 2nd round (may change this year, but who knows?)

For comparison's sake, I also looked up coaches who did not stay for at least 7 years.

Stan Heath
Only 5 years.
Two NCAA appearances
Never got past 1st round.

John Pelphrey
Only 4 years.
Only 1 NCAA appearance (first year, with Heath's players)

Judged by NCAA tourney appearances, Mike Anderson is pretty much Stan Heath only with pressure defense, most nostalgic ties to Arkansas' glory years, and less offensive strategy.

Hawg Red

Pretty context-less and simplistic way to look at it. But.....hard to ignore the lack of tournament appearances. Things seem to be on the upswing now, though, so better late than never.

Mjs84

Quote from: oldbooniehog on January 29, 2018, 12:42:39 pm

Initially, I limited it to the first 7 years of coaches who were at Arkansas for at least 7 years.

Eddie Sutton
Reached Final Four once.
Reached Elite Eight twice (ended in Elite Eight once, hit Elite Eight on way to Final Four)

Nolan Richardson
Reached Final Four Once
Reached Elite Eight twice (again, like Sutton, ended in Elite 8, and got to Elite 8 on way to Final Four)

Mike Anderson
Two NCAA tourney appearances. (Will probably get third this year, but it hasn't happened yet)

For comparison's sake, I also looked up coaches who did not stay for at least 7 years.

Stan Heath
Only 5 years.
Two NCAA appearances

John Pelphrey
Only 4 years.

Judged by NCAA tourney appearances, Mike Anderson is pretty much Stan Heath only with pressure defense, most nostalgic ties to Arkansas' glory years, and less offensive strategy.

The cold hard truth!  I would put Anderson in sane group as Pelphrey and Heath. Only difference is Anderson has been given a pass.  His loyalists can sit down and suck it. 

forrest city joe

Eddie Sutton
Reached Final Four once.

Nolan Richardson
Reached Final Four Once

Mike Anderson

Stan Heath
Only 5 years.
Two NCAA appearances

John Pelphrey
Only 4 years.

O good Grief yet another stupid Anti-Mike Anderson post.comparing him to 2 hall of fame coaches.2 of the best in the history of collenge basketball.you haters will try and grasp at anything.and nothing is working.Mike got another extension and raise.and he is going to be the coach here.so your making garbage threads like this won't help you.YOU LOST!

hawgwileywyatt

Eddie Sutton
Reached Final Four once.

Nolan Richardson
Reached Final Four Once

Mike Anderson

Stan Heath
Only 5 years.
Two NCAA appearances

John Pelphrey
Only 4 years.

He's not a hall of fame coach never will be. but that doesnt mean he won't give us 25 wins plus for the next 5 years and stabilize the program

Kevin

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 29, 2018, 12:59:46 pm
O good Grief yet another stupid Anti-Mike Anderson post.comparing him to 2 hall of fame coaches.2 of the best in the history of collenge basketball.you haters will try and grasp at anything.and nothing is working.Mike got another extension and raise.and he is going to be the coach here.so your making garbage threads like this won't help you.YOU LOST!

all fans should be in love with mediocre mike. cause that is all that can be ask of this basketball program
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Hawg Red

Quote from: Mjs84 on January 29, 2018, 12:52:54 pm
The cold hard truth!  I would put Anderson in sane group as Pelphrey and Heath. Only difference is Anderson has been given a pass.  His loyalists can sit down and suck it.

There are clearly positive differentiators from Health and Pelphrey. The APR and overall culture of the program cratered under Heath. Pelphrey helped to clean up the APR but did nothing to improve culture (might have actually made it worse through recruiting gambles on character risks). Heath had an overall winning % of 53.6% and an SEC winning % of 39%. Pelphrey's was 54% overall and 39% in the SEC. Mike's is currently 64% overall (that's 10 percentage points better than his two predecessors) and 56% in SEC play (up 17% from Heath and Pelphrey). He set a program record for SEC road wins. He's been to the SEC Tournament Final two of three seasons. He's advanced in the tournament both times he'd made it there and came within a hair of knocking off UNC to go to the Sweet 16 while Pelphrey lost to UNC by like 40 points.

It's okay if you think Mike Anderson hasn't done an exceptional job at Arkansas, but Health and Pelphrey are so far beneath him, it isn't even funny.

BannerMountainMan

Why are we comparing coaches in the middle of a season where we are predicted to be in the tourney? Sit down and watch some dadgum ball games
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

hogsanity

JFB used to go out and hire future HOF coaches. Now the school goes after pc hires or nostalgia ( or in the case of Mike a nostalgic PC hire ).
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

forrest city joe

Quote from: Kevin on January 29, 2018, 01:02:57 pm
all fans should be in love with mediocre mike. cause that is all that can be ask of this basketball program
Let me try again with haters like you.you may as well suck it up.because you guys have lost.Mike Anderson is going to be the coach here no matter if you like it or not.so you may as well stop all your whining and crying.as long as mike is winning games and selling out Bud Walton,he is going to be the coach here.there was 20,000 people in Bud Walton for the OSU game.fans are excited about the program.that's why games are selling out.only haters and crybaby's like you are unhappy.

texas tush hog

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on January 29, 2018, 01:05:50 pm
Why are we comparing coaches in the middle of a season where we are predicted to be in the tourney? Sit down and watch some dadgum ball games

Here here. Dilly Dilly.

hogsanity

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on January 29, 2018, 01:05:50 pm

we've watched 6 full seasons, and seen the Hogs with such stirring NCAAT tourney wins as over Wofford, SH, and, and, and , and, oh wait, thats it.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HawgWild

FWIW - NCAA tourney field was limited to 32 teams for 5 of Sutton's first 7 years.

k.c.hawg

Eddie Sutton
Reached Final Four once.

Nolan Richardson
Reached Final Four Once

Mike Anderson

Stan Heath
Only 5 years.
Two NCAA appearances

John Pelphrey
Only 4 years.

And one very important ommission on your part. Stan Heath's model was not sustainable past 5 years. He paid zero attention to detail, ran the program into the ground and set the program up to lose scholarships. Mike Anderson not only has the basketball team pointing upward, he has cleaned up a damn mess.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

forrest city joe

Quote from: hogsanity on January 29, 2018, 01:08:08 pm
JFB used to go out and hire future HOF coaches. Now the school goes after pc hires or nostalgia ( or in the case of Mike a nostalgic PC hire ).
Will you please stop bringing your whining garbage to every thread.this thread is garbage to begin with. and your whining garbage about Mike not being fired won't change a thing.he's going to be the coach here.so you may as well accept it.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 29, 2018, 01:09:24 pm
Let me try again with haters like you.you may as well suck it up.because you guys have lost.Mike Anderson is going to be the coach here no matter if you like it or not.so you may as well stop all your whining and crying.as long as mike is winning games and selling out Bud Walton,he is going to be the coach here.there was 20,000 people in Bud Walton for the OSU game.fans are excited about the program.that's why games are selling out.only haters and crybaby's like you are unhappy.

Go get'em Joe, we know who they are...

hogsanity

Quote from: HawgWild on January 29, 2018, 01:13:49 pm
FWIW - NCAA tourney field was limited to 32 teams for 5 of Sutton's first 7 years.

So it was harder to get in? Is that what you are saying?

Kevin

I knew the day they hired him, they would never fire him no matter what he did. plus, I knew he would do enough to please the nostalgia fans who would make excuses for his mediocre record. which in the terms of a top tier program, cma's career is mediocre.

I wish they would have just hired him after Nolan, by this time he would be gone, and the book would be closed.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

Hawg Red

Quote from: HawgWild on January 29, 2018, 01:13:49 pm

No denying that Mike Anderson is not in the same class of coach as Eddie Sutton or Nolan Richardson. I think everyone realizes that. But can he still be a good coach for Arkansas? I think so. I think he *is* showing that, but obviously the consistency needs to be there and it hasn't been thus far. Also, fans are thirsty for a tournament run.

forrest city joe

Quote from: Kevin on January 29, 2018, 01:19:40 pm
I knew the day they hired him, they would never fire him no matter what he did. plus, I knew he would do enough to please the nostalgia fans who would make excuses for his mediocre record. which in the terms of a top tier program, cma's career is mediocre.

I wish they would have just hired him after Nolan, by this time he would be gone, and the book would be closed.
If he makes it through the extension of his contract,he would have been here for over a decade.so he must be doing a good job.he keeps getting extensions.he's winning games.and Bud Walton is selling out again.so his bosses and most fans must be happy.games are selling out for a reason.the unhappy people are the haters like you and a few others who are pissed that you did not get your way.

jabber71

Quote from: Mjs84 on January 29, 2018, 12:52:54 pm

So are you claiming Sutton & Richardson are INSANE? I would have to think it might be the other way round.

Honestly lets look at the # of wins and level of competition

Sutton 1st 7 seasons all in much weaker SWC 17,19,26,32,25,21,24 Average 23 wins a year
Richardson 1st 7 season 6 in weaker SWC 12,19,21,25,30,34, 26 Average 23 wins a year
Anderson 1st 7 seasons all in SEC 18, 19, 22, 27, 16, 26, 15 (so far season not over yet) If they lose out this season Average is 20 wins a year but assume they go 5 and 5 that's an average of 21.

I did not look at overall conference records for those years nor did I look to see how many national championships / final fours teams came out of the SWC, but in the last 7 years from the SEC there have been 1 champion + 1 runner up + 6 final four teams

This is comparing the same program with 2 HOF coaches against weaker competition compared to our current coach, and your complaining...  :puke: :puke:
You can't always convince someone you are right, but you can always convince them you think you're right!

hogsanity

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 29, 2018, 01:27:18 pm
If he makes it through the extension of his contract,he would have been here for over a decade.so he must be doing a good job.he keeps getting extensions.he's winning games.and Bud Walton is selling out again.so his bosses and most fans must be happy.games are selling out for a reason.the unhappy people are the haters like you and a few others who are pissed that you did not get your way.

HDN was here for a decade too.

Kevin

Quote from: jabber71 on January 29, 2018, 01:28:54 pm
So are you claiming Sutton & Richardson are INSANE? I would have to think it might be the other way round.

Sutton 1st 7 seasons all in much weaker SWC 17,19,26,32,25,21,24 Average 23 wins a year
Richardson 1st 7 season 6 in weaker SWC 12,19,21,25,30,34, 26 Average 23 wins a year
Anderson 1st 7 seasons all in SEC 18, 19, 22, 27, 16, 26, 15 (so far season not over yet) If they lose out this season Average is 20 wins a year but assume they go 5 and 5 that's an average of 21.

I did not look at overall conference records for those years nor did I look to see how many national championships / final fours teams came out of the SWC, but in the last 7 years from the SEC there have been 1 champion + 1 runner up + 6 final four teams

This is comparing the same program with to HOF coaches against weaker competetion compared to our current coach, and your complaining...http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/Smileys/default/puke.gif

do you have any idea, what the basketball program was like, when Sutton took over?  plus, only 32 got into the tournament, and they played less games back then

jabber71

Actually Sutton coached in an average of 32 games in his 1st 7
Richardson coached in 32.8
Anderson too date has averaged 31.8 with 10 more games this season so no

It would have been easier to get into the NCAA tourney if you played weaker competition throughout the season. That's why some want to move back to the SWC (Big 12)
You can't always convince someone you are right, but you can always convince them you think you're right!

howie76

I like coach Anderson.. but no one can deny that the offense is terrible. If we're not hitting the 3 we have nothin. When osu went to zone we only tried to penetrate it a couple of times and when we did we got an easy basket. Why does our offense consistently end up with a quick 3...or 4 or 5 seconds left on the shot clock with a rushed 3? Look.. whenever Macon or barford is onand knocking em down it looks good! But whenever we get in the tourney against better defensive teams I'm afraid it's gonna look bad. I hope they all get hot at the right time and make a good run in the tourney!

Kevin

Quote from: jabber71 on January 29, 2018, 01:39:25 pm
Actually Sutton coached in an average of 32 games in his 1st 7
Richardson coached in 32.8
Anderson too date has averaged 31.8 with 10 more games this season so no

It would have been easier to get into the NCAA tourney if you played weaker competition throughout the season. That's why some want to move back to the SWC (Big 12)

Sutton's first team that went to ncaa played a total of 28 games
Anderson's last years team played 35 games counting 2 ncaa games

HawgsPolo

You forgot the first 3 years didn't count. JL wasn't the only person that felt that way. MA isn't a HOF coach, hence the comparisons seem pointless. MA is better than Heath and Pelphrey and it isn't close.
Go Cubs Go!!!!!

forrest city joe

The bottom line to this garbage thread. Mike Anderson got yet another extension.so he is going to be the coach here. so you haters and crybaby's can cry all you want about how Arkansas should fire him.IT'S not happening this year.his team is winning games and selling out the Bud Walton.so you can forget it.you may as well either suck it up and support our playes and our coaches.

hogsanity

This is comparing the same program with 2 HOF coaches against weaker competition compared to our current coach, and your complaining...  :puke: :puke:

Now we are going to see Mike's PR teams come in and try to downplay what Sutton and Richardson did here.

Sorry folks, but the regular season in college bball means very little anymore. All most people care about is the ncaat, what your seed is and how you did once you got there. There is no comparison between what Sutton and Richardson did their 1st six or 7 seasons here and what Mike has done.

hogsanity

Quote from: Kevin on January 29, 2018, 01:46:33 pm
Sutton's first team that went to ncaa played a total of 28 games
Anderson's last years team played 35 games counting 2 ncaa games

Also, the SWC tournament did not start until 1976.

SemperHawg

To be fair, that one dance appearance that gets counted toward Pelphrey should really count towards Heath since it was all of Heath's dudes that took him there.

jabber71

Don't get me wrong, if we could clone a young Nolan and hire him tomorrow it would make my year, shoot I think even Mike would love to coach for Nolan again, but that's not going to happen, and the numbers do not lie, Mike has done well and hopefully will make Arkansas the force it once was.

As for Sutton he was successful, but I hated watching his style of play.

hogsanity

Quote from: SemperHawg on January 29, 2018, 01:51:26 pm
To be fair, that one dance appearance that gets counted toward Pelphrey should really count towards Heath since it was all of Heath's dudes that took him there.

Ok, then Heath made it to the NCAAT 3 times.

HawgsPolo

Compile a list of coaches the caliber of Sutton and Nolan that would consider coming to Ark for me
Go Cubs Go!!!!!

King Kong

Quote from: Kevin on January 29, 2018, 01:19:40 pm

This is aburd. If last years teams hadn't turned it around the last half of last year MA would have been gone.

The OTR

Good gosh you are a broken record.  Haters, whiners, crybabies, sellout Bud Walton. 

Kevin

Quote from: King Kong on January 29, 2018, 01:53:33 pm
This is aburd. If last years teams hadn’t turned it around the last half of last year MA would have been gone.

no way. heck long was not going to fire cbb after this year in football.

GuvHog

Your ignorance as to the strength of the SWC in the Late 70's and early 80's is simply astounding. I'll assume you were in diapers back then or not born yet and don't know any better. Do some research and stop embarrassing yourself.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

hogsanity

Quote from: HawgsPolo on January 29, 2018, 01:53:25 pm
Compile a list of coaches the caliber of Sutton and Nolan that would consider coming to Ark for me

The calibre they were when they were hired here, or the calibre they were after they had been here as long as they were? 

You forget, Sutton was coaching at Creighton, which was an independent at the time, when JFB hired him. Oh he had the coaching pedigree, but he had done nothing terribly remarkable as a coach up to that point. Richardson was 4 seasons removed from a NIT title, and had taken Tulsa to the ncaat 3 out of 4 years but never past the 1st round.

3of5-2

Quote from: Skandar Jackson on January 29, 2018, 01:56:01 pm
Good gosh you are a broken record.  Haters, whiners, crybabies, sellout Bud Walton.
You left out the "YOU LOST" line.

riccoar

Here is the summary of the OP post.

1. The benchmark is Nolan and Sutton
2.  Heath and Pel sucked
3.  Anderson is better than Heath and Pel
4.  In conclusion, though Anderson is better than Heath and Pel, he will never get us to benchmark performance.

hogsanity

Quote from: riccoar on January 29, 2018, 02:16:55 pm

2.  Heath and Pel sucked
4.  In conclusion, though Anderson is better than Heath and Pel, he will never get us to benchmark performance.

Again though, Sutton and Richardson had not done alot until they got here. It is not like they were hired after going to the final 4 at their previous school or winning a nc at their previous school.

Hawg Red

Quote from: riccoar on January 29, 2018, 02:16:55 pm

2.  Heath and Pel sucked

The OP pretty clearly insinuates that Anderson is akin to Heath. You're giving the TS too much credit.

PonderinHog

Quote from: GuvHog on January 29, 2018, 02:07:59 pm
Your ignorance as to the strength of the SWC in the Late 70's and early 80's is simply astounding. I'll assume you were in diapers back then or not born yet and don't know any better. Do some research and stop embarrassing yourself.
So tell me, guv, how many national championships did the SWC win in basketball?

Mjs84

jabber71

Quote from: GuvHog on January 29, 2018, 02:07:59 pm

So I did

Here is the mighty SWC

Members
Arkansas (1915–1991)
Baylor (1915–1996)
Houston (1972–1996)
Oklahoma (1915–1919)
Oklahoma A&M (1915–1925)
Phillips (1920)
Rice (1915–1917 provisional, 1918–1996)
SMU (1918–1996)
Southwestern (1915–1916)
Texas (1915–1996)
Texas A&M (1915–1996)
TCU (1923–1996)
Texas Tech (1956–1996)

Suttons 1st 7 years SWC 1975 to 1982 no championships 2 final four Ark in 78 & Houston in 82, so what am i missing?

riccoar

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 29, 2018, 02:24:07 pm
The OP pretty clearly insinuates that Anderson is akin to Heath. You're giving the TS too much credit.
True.  I guess I should have thrown in mine was how the average fan sees Anderson.  Not bad, but not a guy to get back to Nolan and Eddie.

raz1965

Mike had had some bad circumstances, how many players did Sutton have that left early for pro ball, was no such thing as apr rule. Mike played with what he had, did not kick anyone off team for poor play regardless , Sutton had 15 scholarship players. Can't compare.  Anderson has now had time, he does need to have better results soon., been understanding to this point with good reason. Go Hogs.

King Kong

Quote from: Kevin on January 29, 2018, 02:03:39 pm
no way. heck long was not going to fire cbb after this year in football.

Wheels were being put in motion after the Vandy loss. However, MA rebounded and finished well.