Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sutton to Anderson, Coach accomplishments 7 years in.

Started by oldbooniehog, January 29, 2018, 12:42:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: zebradynasty on January 30, 2018, 11:59:10 am
Says a lot about current value system in this country. Long as I  pay you...I can say what I want to you do as I please. If you see wrong keep your mouth shut....Nolan's lawsuit while embarrassing it needed to happen because it exposed an ole deep south mentality that needed to be swept out. The University is and will be better for it!

Agree. The problem is the old deep south mentality in some people will never swept out completely. 
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

zebradynasty

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 30, 2018, 11:50:26 am
So in this specific thread, Nolan hasn't been praised enough.  Ok.  Nolan has been given the respect he deserves. 

Yes we thought it could happen at Arkansas.  Nolan accomplished it.

This message board counts for next to nothing. I was looking for the University to do more. No way, No how, did anyone think Nolan would win a National Championship here when he started. 1990 final four showed it might be possible and that is when people started to believe.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: raz1965 on January 30, 2018, 11:57:21 am
I believe when Mike gets a complete team fans will once again see Noland's style back in action. Hoping the extension is enough to prove the ones with doubt wrong an unite us all back to basketball glory.

::)  At some point, this has to become a reality.  Well maybe it doesn't. 

You are hoping if given more time, things will finally come together for him to make that one run.  Ok.  Since he isn't going anywhere, I don't know how anyone could disagree with that. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Letsroll1200

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 30, 2018, 10:08:50 am
Anderson inherited a program that had only been winning 39% of its conference games for the previous 9 seasons. He inherited a program with a very poor culture and a loser mentality. When you have players like Courtney Fortson, Stefon Welsh, Jason Henry, etc. sliming things up, it's going to be a little difficult to get that culture right. Even a guy like Marshawn Powell was known for not having the greatest attitude.  Pretty sure there was a sexual assault incident during Pelphrey's time. The man just did not filter out bad character. To deny that as a factor in downgrading the condition of the program is to simply deny the reality of the situation. I'll leave you with that. If you disagree, so be it and we'll leave it at that.
And the culture changed tremendously by bringing in counterfeiters like Anton Beard and Jacorey Williams, and other guys with issues.

Good grief.

'But it's so much different now!'....

ShadowHawg

Quote from: oldbooniehog on January 29, 2018, 12:42:39 pm
Did a quick check today on past and current Arkansas coaching accomplishments.

Initially, I limited it to the first 7 years of coaches who were at Arkansas for at least 7 years.

Eddie Sutton
5 NCAA tourney appearances in first 7 years.
Reached Final Four once.
Reached Elite Eight twice (ended in Elite Eight once, hit Elite Eight on way to Final Four)

Nolan Richardson
5 NCAA tourney appearances in first 7 years.
Reached Final Four Once
Reached Elite Eight twice (again, like Sutton, ended in Elite 8, and got to Elite 8 on way to Final Four)

Mike Anderson
Two NCAA tourney appearances. (Will probably get third this year, but it hasn't happened yet)
Never got past 2nd round (may change this year, but who knows?)

For comparison's sake, I also looked up coaches who did not stay for at least 7 years.

Stan Heath
Only 5 years.
Two NCAA appearances
Never got past 1st round.

John Pelphrey
Only 4 years.
Only 1 NCAA appearance (first year, with Heath's players)

Judged by NCAA tourney appearances, Mike Anderson is pretty much Stan Heath only with pressure defense, most nostalgic ties to Arkansas' glory years, and less offensive strategy.

SWC for both Eddie and Nolan. Different selection criteria than Heath.

Much tougher to get in these days.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 30, 2018, 10:16:13 am
Mike didn't inherit any of those players but Powell.  The job was open because a rebuild needed to be done.

Anderson has had his own player issues:  Harris, Williams, Qualls, Thomas, Beard, Cook.  The difference is Mike is a strong enough leader and manages to keep them in the program as long as possible instead of filtering out and has success with them.
This is true.
Heath always seemed to have locker room issues. All that talent he recruited so well, but they never played up to expectations. He didn't always have control over his team.
This is an area Anderson does better. He does have control over the locker room.

Of course, the flip side is Anderson doesn't recruit as well as Heath, so when you add it all up, the end results aren't drastically different.

Hawg Red

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on January 30, 2018, 12:29:13 pm
And the culture changed tremendously by bringing in counterfeiters like Anton Beard and Jacorey Williams, and other guys with issues.

Good grief.

'But it's so much different now!'....

I mean, it clearly is. Clearly. Without question.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: FineAsSwine on January 30, 2018, 10:42:34 am
1.   Richardson's success is what built the basketball palace of Mid-America.

2.  Sutton, even if including his 3 final fours and accomplishments from all of his stops, do not match Richardson's resume and his accomplishments at Arkansas alone.

3   I do celebrate both for what they did here except I give Richardson his full due, just like the Hall of Fame selection committee did. He is the greatest coach of all the coaches who ever coached here in terms of career accomplishments and he did it in a much shorter time frame because he was still coaching high school ball up until he was 35 years old because for some reason, it took him that long to get a shot at a measley junior college job where he won a national championship in almost no time.
3) Not sure if you're restricting this to basketball.

But if not, then that wouldn't be true. John McDonnell is far and away the most accomplished coach the UA has ever had.

The OTR

Mike Anderson - does decent in regular season. Never gonna do much in the post season.  Wins one game in NCAA tournament every three years.  Sells out Bud Walton.  Gets a contract extension. Has Forrest City Joe firmly in his corner because Forrest City Joe clearly doesn't care anymore about winning in the post season. His irrational and odd admiration and love for Mike Anderson will keep him warm on those cold Forrest City nights. 

I'm at peace with all of this.  I'm fine if Mike stays here ten more years and we never make a sweet 16. As long as Joe's happy I'm happy. And all you cry babies and whiners need to admit you've lost. Mike isn't going anywhere.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: zebradynasty on January 30, 2018, 12:10:13 pm
This message board counts for next to nothing. I was looking for the University to do more. No way, No how, did anyone think Nolan would win a National Championship here when he started. 1990 final four showed it might be possible and that is when people started to believe.
I think the UA has done enough for Nolan Richardson.
First, they made him a very wealthy man (as all the coaches, the money is ridiculous)
He's been honored with a banner in the arena, and even before Eddie Sutton, which is appropriate, I think, due to the national title. He is well respected for the job he did, especially from 1985-1995.

But he also napalmed the school and the basketball program, which is still being felt today. That impacted the course of events in 2002 and contributed to bringing in a younger, less experienced coach instead of simply hiring the best available coach at the time, which was Bill Self. And then later, it indirectly leads into bringing back a protégé in Mike Anderson, who has done pretty well, but isn't setting the world on fire.

In short, you can say Nolan Richardson took the program to its highest level, then later killed it. Both are true.

To tell the story of Nolan Richardson, you have to include all the above, the good and the bad.

There are dozens of coaches who have been paid off, Nolan is simply one in a long list. Heck, we had both an AD and football coach just this year. He should have taken his money and walked away rich like all the others. All the other coaches who were replaced had as much right to complain about this and that as he did. I don't see Long and Bielema filing complaints over how badly they were treated. This is college athletics. It's a high-pressure, high-profile business, but they're paid like kings. It's just the way it is. As long as you win you'll be ok.

hogfan10

Quote from: zebradynasty on January 30, 2018, 11:59:10 am
Says a lot about current value system in this country. Long as I  pay you...I can say what I want to you do as I please. If you see wrong keep your mouth shut....Nolan's lawsuit while embarrassing it needed to happen because it exposed an ole deep south mentality that needed to be swept out. The University is and will be better for it!

It didn't expose anything, NR lost, and rightfully so. Funny how he had no problem cashing those paychecks for 17+ years, then when held accountable, he's all the sudden been mistreated all those years. Tell me what about NR makes you think he would have kept quite all those years of mistreatment? He thought he'd earned the right to coast, when he realized he hadn't, he then decided to claim abuse.

You're right though; this unfortunately does tell us about today's value system, just doesn't tell us what you seem to think it does.

zebradynasty

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on January 30, 2018, 01:00:26 pm
First, they made him a very wealthy man (as all the coaches, the money is ridiculous)
He's been honored with a banner in the arena, and even before Eddie Sutton, which is appropriate, I think, due to the national title. He is well respected for the job he did, especially from 1985-1995.

But he also napalmed the school and the basketball program, which is still being felt today. That impacted the course of events in 2002 and contributed to bringing in a younger, less experienced coach instead of simply hiring the best available coach at the time, which was Bill Self. And then later, it indirectly leads into bringing back a protégé in Mike Anderson, who has done pretty well, but isn't setting the world on fire.

In short, you can say Nolan Richardson took the program to its highest level, then later killed it. Both are true.

To tell the story of Nolan Richardson, you have to include all the above, the good and the bad.

There are dozens of coaches who have been paid off, Nolan is simply one in a long list. Heck, we had both an AD and football coach just this year. He should have taken his money and walked away rich like all the others. All the other coaches who were replaced had as much right to complain about this and that as he did. I don't see Long and Bielema filing complaints over how badly they were treated. This is college athletics. It's a high-pressure, high-profile business, but they're paid like kings. It's just the way it is. As long as you win you'll be ok.

A BANNER!? Let OkState, Ole Miss, A&M ...win a national championship I bet they honor the coach with more than a banner. Heck...LSU named the whole arena after a guy who never won a SEC championship or NCAAT game! WTH

GuvHog

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on January 30, 2018, 01:00:26 pm

Nolan would have gotten more accolades from the U of A than he has gotten if he hadn't bit the hand that fed he and his family for 17 years.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Deep Shoat

Quote from: sadhogfan on January 30, 2018, 10:40:35 am
I don't understand why we cannot simultaneously maintain that:

(A) Mike Anderson is not the same caliber of coach as Nolan or Sutton.
BUT
(B) Mike Anderson is clearly a better coach than Pelphrey or Heath.

Statistics and results bear out both of these realities.

You can choose to reject MA as our coach because of (A), and because you want a HOF caliber coach. That is fine; it's also worth noting that there aren't a ton of those out there.

On the other hand, it is ridiculous to try to reject MA as our coach because he is no better than Pelphrey or Heath. He clearly is, and when people try to argue to the contrary, they look stupid.

For my part, I wish MA was better, but he's actually been pretty good. I have VERY little confidence that we would replace him with someone better. I think the thing to hope for is that MA turns us back into a year-in, year-out NCAAT program (it appears that he is on his way to doing that), and when the time comes for him to retire, our program will be respectable enough that we can lure a coach that is at the level we all want.
If the folks who constantly act like Mike is the greatest coach since John Wooden would admit to these thoughts, the folks who pretend Mike shouldn't be coaching Little Dribblers would probably find agreement.

The ridiculous extremism by both groups is the problem, and that problem stifles the people like you and me who see both sides clearly.
All Gas, No Brakes!

zebradynasty

Quote from: hogfan10 on January 30, 2018, 01:09:59 pm
It didn't expose anything, NR lost, and rightfully so. Funny how he had no problem cashing those paychecks for 17+ years, then when held accountable, he's all the sudden been mistreated all those years. Tell me what about NR makes you think he would have kept quite all those years of mistreatment? He thought he'd earned the right to coast, when he realized he hadn't, he then decided to claim abuse.

You're right though; this unfortunately does tell us about today's value system, just doesn't tell us what you seem to think it does.

It most certainly did expose institutionalize racism in the athletic department. Nolan lost because he couldn't prove that was the reason for his dismissal. Had he not made that statement about firing him....his chances of winning go way up. But it was not a landside, court victory for the UA it was close.

zebradynasty

Quote from: GuvHog on January 30, 2018, 01:29:48 pm
Nolan would have gotten more accolades from the U of A than he has gotten if he hadn't bit the hand that fed he and his family for 17 years.

So as long as I pay you, I can do wrong and you better not say anything.  If I am not paying you then you're free to report any and all wrong doing. :-\

Johnny Bobo

I'm with Joe

we don't need any Sweet 16 this year. As long as we make the Big Dance, I'm happy

If it's the NIT again while we continue growing, well okay then - I'll accept it

hogsanity

Quote from: Johnny Bobo on January 30, 2018, 02:14:57 pm
I'm with Joe

we don't need any Sweet 16 this year. As long as we make the Big Dance, I'm happy

If it's the NIT again while we continue growing, well okay then - I'll accept it

you Anderson above the program people would support 17-15 every year as long as Mike was on the sideline.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Johnny Bobo

Quote from: hogsanity on January 30, 2018, 02:16:39 pm
you Anderson above the program people would support 17-15 every year as long as Mike was on the sideline.

the last shall be first hogsanitor

hogfan10

January 30, 2018, 02:24:14 pm #170 Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 02:40:30 pm by hogfan10

Quote from: zebradynasty on January 30, 2018, 01:43:22 pm
It most certainly did expose institutionalize racism in the athletic department. Nolan lost because he couldn't prove that was the reason for his dismissal. Had he not made that statement about firing him....his chances of winning go way up. But it was not a landside, court victory for the UA it was close.

Really? Examples please.

EastexHawg

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 29, 2018, 12:59:46 pm
YOU LOST!

That's right, the people who want Arkansas to be a national power lost.  It must give you great pride and joy to know that Razorback basketball is free to flounder in mediocrity for several more years under Coach Mediocrity himself.  Enjoy hoping to get to the tournament.  It's a wonderful accomplishment since only 65 or 66 teams every year do it.

Little Lady Back

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 30, 2018, 12:14:55 pm
A bash Mike Anderson thread. How creative!

Yes, very... What's worse though is that individual players are being bashed on many threads on Jump Ball which should never be allowed.
#NolanRichardsonCourt

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: zebradynasty on January 30, 2018, 01:43:22 pm
Nolan didn't prove jack squat.
He won at a big level, stopped winning, had a public meltdown, and was fired. He had no case whatsoever. This is college sports. Win or you're gone.

Why didn't Lou Holtz file a lawsuit? He was fired too.
Why didn't Stan Heath file a lawsuit? He was fired too, and was black. Surely he was discriminated against too.
Why didn't Jeff Long complain about something? Surely he can claim unfair treatment in some way.
Why didn't Houston Nutt complain?

Nolan was not an ounce different than a long line of coaches who have come and gone. They all can find grounds for complaint if they really wanted to.

I have ZERO sympathy for any of these guys. They all make millions of dollars, and if they don't like the high-pressure business they are in, then they shouldn't have been in it. As it's been said many times, coaches are hired to be fired.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: zebradynasty on January 30, 2018, 01:58:49 pm
So as long as I pay you, I can do wrong and you better not say anything.  If I am not paying you then you're free to report any and all wrong doing. :-\
You think Lou Holtz was treated fairly?
He had arguably the greatest win in Arkansas history(the '78 Orange Bowl), a #3 ranking, and five seasons later was shown the door after going 6-5.

The one thing in common Nolan and Lou's cases have in common is that they both involved a demanding AD in Frank Broyles who was not afraid to make changes. In other words, Nolan's case is not unique in any way. You can argue that in both cases Frank was wrong(or right), but you CAN'T argue either one was unique. Broyles simply wanted to win.

zebradynasty

Quote from: hogfan10 on January 30, 2018, 02:24:14 pm
Really? Examples please.

You may still be able to find the transcript of the judges ruling.

zebradynasty

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on January 30, 2018, 02:38:16 pm
Nolan didn't prove jack squat.
He won at a big level, stopped winning, had a public meltdown, and was fired. He had no case whatsoever. This is college sports. Win or you're gone.

Why didn't Lou Holtz file a lawsuit? He was fired too.
Why didn't Stan Heath file a lawsuit? He was fired too, and was black. Surely he was discriminated against too.
Why didn't Jeff Long complain about something? Surely he can claim unfair treatment in some way.
Why didn't Houston Nutt complain?

Nolan was not an ounce different than a long line of coaches who have come and gone. They all can find grounds for complaint if they really wanted to.

I have ZERO sympathy for any of these guys. They all make millions of dollars, and if they don't like the high-pressure business they are in, then they shouldn't have been in it. As it's been said many times, coaches are hired to be fired.

All I know is the Judge himself said " it was not unreasonable for Richardson to feel he was treated differently because of his race, and communication between him and the UA could have been better". Nevertheless, Nolan couldn't prove that he actually was treated differently because of his race.

hawg66

Quote from: zebradynasty on January 30, 2018, 03:01:11 pm
You may still be able to find the transcript of the judges ruling.
Yes. Lots of ugly stuff was exposed. To think otherwise is simply uninformed. If I recall one UA witness was dressed down pretty good by the judge. You can win at trial and still lose. That's what happened to the UA in the lawsuit.
Most folks have moved on and some never will. That's true on both sides, unfortunately. 

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: zebradynasty on January 30, 2018, 03:21:23 pm
All I know is the Judge himself said " it was not unreasonable for Richardson to feel he was treated differently because of his race, and communication between him and the UA could have been better". Nevertheless, Nolan couldn't prove that he actually was treated differently because of his race.
Because that's the world we live in.
No judge can take a racial case and instantly dismiss it. Because then he runs the risk of himself being accused of being 'racist'.
So they go through all the motions and in the end dismiss the case and throw a bone 'well, I don't doubt you may have felt that way...'

All the UA has to point to is a long list of coaches who have been dismissed as evidence of no favoritism. The outrage is Nolan claiming his case was somehow different.
Slam dunk case.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on January 30, 2018, 03:37:33 pm
Because that's the world we live in.
No judge can take a racial case and instantly dismiss it. Because then he runs the risk of himself being accused of being 'racist'.
So they go through all the motions and in the end dismiss the case and throw a bone 'well, I don't doubt you may have felt that way...'

All the UA has to point to is a long list of coaches who have been dismissed as evidence of no favoritism. The outrage is Nolan claiming his case was somehow different.
Slam dunk case.

Nolan's case wasn't about the dismissal. It was about a long period of harassment.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: hawg66 on January 30, 2018, 03:23:39 pm
Yes. Lots of ugly stuff was exposed. To think otherwise is simply uninformed. If I recall one UA witness was dressed down pretty good by the judge. You can win at trial and still lose. That's what happened to the UA in the lawsuit.
Most folks have moved on and some never will. That's true on both sides, unfortunately.
I'm laughing trying to think of all these 'ugly' things were exposed.

By the way, no one has responded to me asking why Lou Holtz, who was white, couldn't claim unfair treatment too after he was fired. Highly successful coach. Broyles fired him too

ShadowHawg

Quote from: hogfan10 on January 30, 2018, 02:24:14 pm
Really? Examples please.

Frank Broyles was witnessed on more than one occasion referring to Nolan as "that Ni...r" openly in public.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: ShadowHawg on January 30, 2018, 03:40:20 pm
Nolan's case wasn't about the dismissal. It was about a long period of harassment.
You mean the same way Frank Broyles harassed Lou Holtz, Ken Hatfield, Jack Crowe, Nolan Richardson, Eddie Sutton...on and on. All of whom had 'run-ins' with Broyles.
Even John McDonnell, after Broyles died last year, said he was a tough guy to work for, but fair. And he had 40 national championships. That stood out to me when he said that.

Broyles treated everyone the same. Demanding, but just wanted to win.

You can accuse him of that, but don't bring up the tired old crap that Nolan was 'mistreated'. Well, if he was, they were too. Maybe there were all mistreated. I might agree with that.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: ShadowHawg on January 30, 2018, 03:43:50 pm
Frank Broyles was witnessed on more than one occasion referring to Nolan as "that Ni...r" openly in public.
Link?

ShadowHawg

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on January 30, 2018, 03:45:39 pm
You mean the same way Frank Broyles harassed Lou Holtz, Ken Hatfield, Jack Crowe, Nolan Richardson, Eddie Sutton...on and on. All of whom had 'run-ins' with Broyles.
Even John McDonnell, after Broyles died last year, said he was a tough guy to work for, but fair. And he had 40 national championships. That stood out to me when he said that.

Broyles treated everyone the same. Demanding, but just wanted to win.

You can accuse him of that, but don't bring up the tired old crap that Nolan was 'mistreated'. Well, if he was, they were too. Maybe there were all mistreated. I might agree with that.

No, Broyles never felt led to comment on the race of his white coaches as if it were a pejorative that I am aware of. He did with Nolan for some reason.

Perhaps you can expound on that.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on January 30, 2018, 03:47:58 pm
Link?

How old are you? It was in every paper in Arkansas at the time and reported on tv news.

Were you in kindergarten? Find a link to the transcript yourself. It's a matter of public record.

Just because you believe something doesn't exist or didn't happen isn't proof of anything other than your own ignorance.

sadhogfan

Two points here:

Quote from: hogsanity on January 30, 2018, 11:26:46 am
Neither Sutton or Richardson were HOF coaches WHEN THEY TOOK THE ARKANSAS JOB. They turned into great coaches after they took the job. 

That's fine; it also doesn't change anything. By definition, when looking for a coach, there are not that many out there who will turn out to be HOF coaches.

If you look at our previous 4 hires:

–Stan Heath: "up and comer" with a good pedigree who didn't pan out.
–Dana Altman: established coach who may end up in the HOF but took one good look at the program and left.
–John Pelphrey: "up and comer" with a pretty good pedigree who didn't pan out.
–Mike Anderson: established coach who doesn't look like a HOFer at this point, but is an above average coach.

The point being, it's not exactly EASY to find a future HOFer as your coach. We either did a great job at finding talent, got incredibly lucky, or a combination of both, with Sutton and Nolan. Since then, the best coach we hired didn't want us and the second best coach (MA) people like you want to ride out of town on a rail.

Your post implies that it is easy to hire future HOF coaches. That is beyond ignorant.

Quote from: hogsanity on January 30, 2018, 11:26:46 am
Mike has not turned into anything other than what he always was, a average coach.

It is statements like this that make it exceptionally hard to take you seriously. The fact that you insist on calling MA average when his record clearly shows that he is not reveals that you are too biased to evaluate the situation with any objectivity.

Is he great? No, but I don't think many (if any) are arguing that. He is an above average coach, who has brought our program to its best level of success in two decades.

That might not be enough for you, which is fine. Frankly, I want us to be better than we are as well. But trying to make your point by claiming that things are worse than they are or by pretending that MA has made no progress since he has been here just makes you look foolish.

hogfan10

Quote from: ShadowHawg on January 30, 2018, 03:43:50 pm

Really, by who?
I remember a bad joke that was attributed to FB with that word in it, when in actuality it was made clear that he was repeating something that someone else had said. I have no doubt that FB has/had used that word in his lifetime, maybe daily; but I doubt he ever used it in the presence of anyone he didn't know or at work or at work functions. Just don't think he was that careless with his words/thoughts. Remember this is the man that integrated Missouri football, Arkansas football, made NR the first AA head coach of a major sport in the south, and provided NR with everything he need to succeed while here. He also made NR one of the highest paid coaches in college basketball at the time. I just don't see a devout racist (as NR and others would have us believe) would have done the progressive things above, when it would have been just as easy for him not to.
And, with all of that above, NR never left the UofA for any of the other offers (NBA, etc.). Why if it was so bad did he stay, it just doesn't add up.

Randohoggie

Quote from: Deep Shoat on January 30, 2018, 01:32:21 pm
If the folks who constantly act like Mike is the greatest coach since John Wooden would admit to these thoughts, the folks who pretend Mike shouldn't be coaching Little Dribblers would probably find agreement.

The ridiculous extremism by both groups is the problem, and that problem stifles the people like you and me who see both sides clearly.

Except that the reality is that the ridiculous extremism only happens on one side.  I never see anyone claiming Anderson as the greatest coach ever.  I see people saying he is doing a good job, some people may even think he is doing a great job.  So?  Heaven forbid people support the team and coach in the middle of a season. 

Not everyone who thinks he is doing a good job is FCJ level crazy.

Randohoggie

Quote from: sadhogfan on January 30, 2018, 03:54:08 pm
It is statements like this that make it exceptionally hard to take you seriously. The fact that you insist on calling MA average when his record clearly shows that he is not reveals that you are too biased to evaluate the situation with any objectivity.

Is he great? No, but I don't think many (if any) are arguing that. He is an above average coach, who has brought our program to its best level of success in two decades.

That might not be enough for you, which is fine. Frankly, I want us to be better than we are as well. But trying to make your point by claiming that things are worse than they are or by pretending that MA has made no progress since he has been here just makes you look foolish.

This.  This.  And this.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: hogfan10 on January 30, 2018, 04:08:58 pm
Really, by who?
I remember a bad joke that was attributed to FB with that word in it, when in actuality it was made clear that he was repeating something that someone else had said. I have no doubt that FB has/had used that word in his lifetime, maybe daily; but I doubt he ever used it in the presence of anyone he didn't know or at work or at work functions. Just don't think he was that careless with his words/thoughts. Remember this is the man that integrated Missouri football, Arkansas football, made NR the first AA head coach of a major sport in the south, and provided NR with everything he need to succeed while here. He also made NR one of the highest paid coaches in college basketball at the time. I just don't see a devout racist (as NR and others would have us believe) would have done the progressive things above, when it would have been just as easy for him not to.
And, with all of that above, NR never left the UofA for any of the other offers (NBA, etc.). Why if it was so bad did he stay, it just doesn't add up.

Read the transcript. He used the term Ni....r at a Hawgs Illustrated banquet. Then claimed it was the only time in his life he had ever used the term.

He was trying to get Clay to write a negative piece about Richardson, another fact that Frank would deny.

zebradynasty

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on January 30, 2018, 03:41:00 pm
I'm laughing trying to think of all these 'ugly' things were exposed.

By the way, no one has responded to me asking why Lou Holtz, who was white, couldn't claim unfair treatment too after he was fired. Highly successful coach. Broyles fired him too

No one responded because your question is not really making sense. IF Holtz or any employee believe they were fired because of race or any other protected categories by LAW they have a right to file lawsuit. So one can only assume Holtz, Nutt, Heath...didn't feel that way. Which is fine but that doesn't preclude Nolan from filing especially if he felt that he was and had evidence.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: ShadowHawg on January 30, 2018, 03:50:50 pm
How old are you? It was in every paper in Arkansas at the time and reported on tv news.

Were you in kindergarten? Find a link to the transcript yourself. It's a matter of public record.

Just because you believe something doesn't exist or didn't happen isn't proof of anything other than your own ignorance.
Then he should be easy for you to find all this 'evidence' and give it to me, right?

zebradynasty

Quote from: hogfan10 on January 30, 2018, 04:08:58 pm
Really, by who?

I don't remember if it was said he used the term to describe Nolan but several people (all white) did under oath say they heard Frank use the term publicly.

hogfan10

Quote from: ShadowHawg on January 30, 2018, 04:15:41 pm
Read the transcript. He used the term Ni....r at a Hawgs Illustrated banquet. Then claimed it was the only time in his life he had ever used the term.

He was trying to get Clay to write a negative piece about Richardson, another fact that Frank would deny.

That sounds like one occasion, not many. And, it's been a while, but I think that's the conversation I was referring to; where FB was repeating something that someone else had said. Course I'm sure NR never used any colorful words (that some might consider to be racist) to describe FB or others that he didn't like.

It's really all beside the point anyway, because FB wasn't NR's boss when NR blew his lid. JW per NR's request had become NR's superior several years prior to his firing.   

zebradynasty

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on January 30, 2018, 04:17:46 pm
Then he should be easy for you to find all this 'evidence' and give it to me, right?

The case is so old stories are probably archived. Dude google Frank Broyles used the N-word and you will see several articles where it was discussed in court and in news reports.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: zebradynasty on January 30, 2018, 04:16:03 pm
No one responded because your question is not really making sense. IF Holtz or any employee believe they were fired because of race or any other protected categories by LAW they have a right to file lawsuit. So one can only assume Holtz, Nutt, Heath...didn't feel that way. Which is fine but that doesn't preclude Nolan from filing especially if he felt that he was and had evidence.
The difference is that Nolan always had a chip on his shoulder and wanted to go that route. Stan Heath did not. Mike Anderson doesn't either, if it came to that. MA would never file a lawsuit.
And that's kinda the point, anyway, If you're a minority, no matter what the circumstances are, you can always file a lawsuit and claim bias.
Lou Holtz couldn't go that route, obviously. He didn't have that card to play.
Nolan WANTED to napalm the UA. And we're still feeling the effects in the basketball program today.
Nolan didn't even want the job anymore. He was just trying to do damage.

Actually, I never think about Nolan or the lawsuit. But since this discussion came up, the more I think about it, the more peeved I get. Most people forget all that and move on and just remember the good times, which I do too mostly. But a banner in the arena is enough. Anything more would be inappropriate, all things considered.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: zebradynasty on January 30, 2018, 04:27:01 pm
The case is so old stories are probably archived. Dude google Frank Broyles used the N-word and you will see several articles where it was discussed in court and in news repots.
And surely you will also remember Nolan using the perjorative terms 't****' and 'a*******' talking about all our cracker, white fans. Remember that racist remark?

GuvHog

Quote from: zebradynasty on January 30, 2018, 01:58:49 pm

It's all in how one does it or how one says it. Filing that lawsuit against the U of A has kept Nolan from getting some of the accolades he earned. The day he stands before cameras in a press conference and apologizes for filing that lawsuit is the day plans start being made to either name the BWA court after him or to change the name of BWA to:

Walton
Richardson
Arena.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

zebradynasty

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on January 30, 2018, 04:32:49 pm
And surely you will also remember Nolan using the perjorative terms 'turds' and 'posters' talking about all our cracker, white fans. Remember that racist remark?

What does that have to do with the price of tea in China? IF UA had wanted to they could have discipline him they didn't.