Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Meltdown....

Started by majestic, August 24, 2017, 05:35:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

majestic

Have you ever had a round where you just couldn't hit a single freaking club? I just got back into the game about a month ago. Got fitted for all new clubs and have been spending some time at the range. I played Saturday and felt like my swing was really starting to come "on-line". I had three consecutive pars to end that round and was hitting everything pretty flush. I went to the range at PV yesterday and was just killing everything; in a good way. Driver was straight and about 250. Irons were all solid and straight, too.

So I play for the first time at PV today and just absolutely stunk the place up. My best hole was a bogey and I had more snowmen than I care to admit. It felt like I'd never picked up a club before at times. I was hitting the darned ball 90 degrees to the right on par 3s a couple of times.

You ever have a round like this, and what do you do to fix it? I'm kind of nervous about playing in an upcoming scramble if I hit it like that again.
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: majestic on August 24, 2017, 05:35:12 pm
Have you ever had a round where you just couldn't hit a single freaking club? I just got back into the game about a month ago. Got fitted for all new clubs and have been spending some time at the range. I played Saturday and felt like my swing was really starting to come "on-line". I had three consecutive pars to end that round and was hitting everything pretty flush. I went to the range at PV yesterday and was just killing everything; in a good way. Driver was straight and about 250. Irons were all solid and straight, too.

So I play for the first time at PV today and just absolutely stunk the place up. My best hole was a bogey and I had more snowmen than I care to admit. It felt like I'd never picked up a club before at times. I was hitting the darned ball 90 degrees to the right on par 3s a couple of times.

You ever have a round like this, and what do you do to fix it? I'm kind of nervous about playing in an upcoming scramble if I hit it like that again.

I took two weeks off, then gave up the game.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

majestic

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on August 24, 2017, 05:48:40 pm
I took two weeks off, then gave up the game.
Ha! I did that once, too. I don't want to do that this time around, at least not this soon, as I have about $4k sunk into this game at this point. I'm going to take a day or three off before I even look at my clubs again. I simply can't understand what happened to my swing from yesterday to today.

Dillar Dog

ricepig

August 24, 2017, 06:35:30 pm #4 Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 06:50:07 pm by ricepig
Quote from: majestic on August 24, 2017, 06:24:32 pm
Ha! I did that once, too. I don't want to do that this time around, at least not this soon, as I have about $4k sunk into this game at this point. I'm going to take a day or three off before I even look at my clubs again. I simply can't understand what happened to my swing from yesterday to today.

I start with a 7 iron, a club I can always hit, on the range and may hit 10 punch shots with it before hitting full shots. If I'm hitting it well, I'll hit a few wedges and at most a handful of drivers, just to see which way it's going that day, usually to the right. Those 7 irons may start off as one arm swings, concentrating on ball-divot. If it's all terrible, I go back home, haha. I don't ever sweat a scramble, unless I'm suppose to be the "A" guy, if then, plenty of aiming fluid in the cart!

majestic

Quote from: Dillar Dog on August 24, 2017, 06:31:40 pm
What PV?

Paradise Valley. And man, that course eats balls if you aren't in the fairway. I bet I donated a dozen today.

HognitiveDissonance

Sure, I have rounds where I can't get it fixed on the course.
What's odd is usually I can go to the range and get it figured out within 10-15 balls. I have an idea of what's wrong.

I once shot 65 at War Memorial in Little Rock, which is +1, and probably a month later I had a round there so bad I finally quit counting. It was heading north of 90.

Thankfully that doesn't happen often, but that one stands in my mind.

onebadrubi

Play as soon as you can following that round.  Make sure you are addressing the same each time. 

GolfNut57

Seriously? You are a hacker like everyone else on here. Unless you are on the verge of joining a pro tour rounds like that are going to happen once in awhile to you just like they happen to us all. Look at the bright side......you got your crap round of the group of ten rounds out of the way. Now go enjoy your next nine rounds.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

TheJoeyBucketz

Absolutely. Everybody has em.

When I'm having one I just keep making my backswing shorter and shorter until I can keep it in play. My main issue now is that I get too long and lose control of the club.

A few years ago I worked up a nasty case of the shanks. Finally figured out I was humping the goat pretty bad, so I had to make my swing thought about keeping my weight back on my heels.

You just need to figure out what your main swing flaw is and have a ready made band aid for it.

If all else fails drink beer.

Dominic Fletcher following his homerun against Texas Tech in Omaha, "I thought they said this park was big?!"

EastexHawg

I played in a four man scramble a couple of weeks ago and I was so terrible for the first 6-8 holes that I offended myself.  I honestly played better the first time I played nine holes as a 16 year old.

Twice that I can remember I played my first round after 3-6 months off and shot 80.  For me it is completely unpredictable.

Boarcephus

That's the thing about golf, the bad times don't last and neither to the good. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Ex-Trumpet

Best thing to do is pack a fishing pole in the bag where the 2-iron would have been.  Especially at PV.  I've seen some nice fish there over the years...especially where I've hit it.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

RagingHawgOn

Quote from: golf2day on August 25, 2017, 09:03:15 am
When I'm having one I just keep making my backswing shorter and shorter until I can keep it in play. My main issue now is that I get too long and lose control of the club.

^^^^^^ This

And, I keep a pint of vodka in my bag.  One very stiff drink tends to help, also.

Iwastherein1969

Worst round I've ever played in college was at LRCC, on top of (Hwy 10 or is it Cantrell Road) ? anyway, the wind was blowing about 30 mph on top of that God forsaken hilly plot of land in the middle of March in 1981...I shot 87 and was glad to have it....a month later when conditions were calm and there was green grass in the fairway I shot 71 on the same golf course...when the wind blows on top of that hill in Pulaski Heights, you can find your ball in some god-awful places
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on September 20, 2017, 12:15:51 am
Worst round I've ever played in college was at LRCC, on top of (Hwy 10 or is it Cantrell Road) ? anyway, the wind was blowing about 30 mph on top of that God forsaken hilly plot of land in the middle of March in 1981...I shot 87 and was glad to have it....a month later when conditions were calm and there was green grass in the fairway I shot 71 on the same golf course...when the wind blows on top of that hill in Pulaski Heights, you can find your ball in some god-awful places
One of the places I've never had a chance to play. Would love to try it...even on a windy day.