Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Swing speed...

Started by majestic, August 01, 2017, 04:43:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

majestic

I just got fitted for a new set of clubs. My 7 iron swing speed was 78 mph and got me out to around 160 yards. I thought that was low, but the fitter said, "you have many years of iron shafts left in you, don't worry about that speed."

Does that seem like a normal/decent speed for a mid 40s recreational golfer?
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

ricepig

Quote from: majestic on August 01, 2017, 04:43:41 pm
I just got fitted for a new set of clubs. My 7 iron swing speed was 78 mph and got me out to around 160 yards. I thought that was low, but the fitter said, "you have many years of iron shafts left in you, don't worry about that speed."

Seems slow, did you get one on your driver? As someone 15 years older, I quit worrying about swing speed, what I hit comparative to my playing partners, or how far they hit it. I probably swing harder, but that's a 6 iron to me, unless I want to go after one.

majestic

Quote from: ricepig on August 01, 2017, 04:53:07 pm
Seems slow, did you get one on your driver? As someone 15 years older, I quit worrying about swing speed, what I hit comparative to my playing partners, or how far they hit it. I probably swing harder, but that's a 6 iron to me, unless I want to go after one.
I didn't get a new driver. I also wasn't swinging hard as I was trying to get all the angles down. But he said high 60s to low 70s was about right for "my age group", haha.
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

Wildhog

160 for a 7i is about right.  I wouldn't worry about it.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

GolfNut57

160 with a 7I? You suck! It takes me a 26 degree hybrid, which is equivalent to a 5I to hit it 160.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

cc

My 7 iron swing speed is high 80's.  Carry is 170-172.  I was hitting the new Steelhead 186-188 but loft is basically my 6 iron plus low spin on the Steelheads.  Key is to find shaft and head that gives as predictable carry and spin numbers as possible.   I just gave half a club distance to go to stiffer shafts for more control.

Roctavious

I got fitted about 3-4 years ago and my swing speed with a 7i was in the low-mid 70's and I was 43. Then I hit my 7i about 135-140 and I was all arms. At 46, I hit it 145-155 depending how good of a day I'm having.

c-townfan

You didn't get fitted at Edwin Watts in Little Rock did you? I know their simulator shows about 10 mph slower than it actually is if so..

Boarcephus

Quote from: Wildhog on August 01, 2017, 05:32:32 pm
160 for a 7i is about right.  I wouldn't worry about it.

Ditto.  Swing speed is like handicaps, in the overall scheme of things it's not really that important but, you can't inflate a swing speed unless you grit your teeth, pucker your butt and swing like hell like you can dicker with your handicap.  ;)  I'm 63 and go 150 with the 8, 160 with the 7 and 170 with a 6 but the new clubs are also much stronger in the lofts.  Hitting the ball flush, IMO, is as important as swing speed if not more so. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Roctavious

Quote from: c-townfan on August 07, 2017, 12:31:35 am
You didn't get fitted at Edwin Watts in Little Rock did you? I know their simulator shows about 10 mph slower than it actually is if so..

No I live in Jonesboro and got fitted here

Dominicanhog

Fitted last week my  7 iron was 84 mph carry 162 ... Driver 103 mph carry 266...... at 58 years old my driver has gone up 5 mph over the last 6/7 years....  changed my swing to a more up right posture, longer and much slower back swing.... before I used the slide and smother technique...some of you may know it as the lung and stab... my friend said I had a Ginsu swing... swinging harder, definitely doesn't mean further... usually just the opposite