Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SOOIE!: Calling All 2018 Baseball Eligible Razorbacks

Started by BigBrandonAllenFan, June 06, 2017, 01:58:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BigBrandonAllenFan

June 06, 2017, 01:58:29 pm Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 02:08:31 pm by BigBrandonAllenFan
I have a question for you young guys that are "suddenly" draft eligible... If you walked in the house and told your parents, "I want to finish my college degree", would a single one of them argue with you, or would they smile real big and give you a big ole hug?

Just wondering.  Something to think about, to contemplate.  I'm a parent.  I know exactly what my reaction would be.  Often time the parent doesn't want to alter the course their grown child chooses, and will refrain from interjection, but I'll bet you ten to one I probably know the way 95% of parents think.

Put yourself in the parents shoes of having a kid that is going to be drafted.  What are the most important factors?  Why?  And there are a probably few here that can even comment first hand.   

Grizzlyfan

As a parent my answer would be, "one major injury and your draft stock is now zero.  Live the dream while you can."

PintailKiller

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on June 06, 2017, 02:04:58 pm
As a parent my answer would be, "one major injury and your draft stock is now zero.  Live the dream while you can."

This...
"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don't move."

BigBrandonAllenFan

Interesting.  Markable.

311Hog

mine would be, you probably aren't going to make it to the MLB so get as much $$$ as you can upfront and take this thing as far as you can before finishing school.

If you are a marginal MLB prospect and draft eligible IMHO you are looking at getting some bonus money as you have the leverage, play a year or two what ever you are required and if it isn't looking good at least you had fun, and can now finish up and move on.

I mean if you aren't going to get drafted anyway i would try and stay in school and play as long as i could.

BigBrandonAllenFan

My question would be, "What part of playing college baseball and getting a degree in the process is not living the dream?"  Was that not the original dream of the hopeful parent?  Did the parent not "suddenly" jump ahead of themselves? 

PintailKiller

It's not the dream of the parent, but the dream of the kid.  If my kid wanted to play professional baseball and had an opportunity, then take it.  I will never tell my kid he cannot pursue HIS dream.
"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don't move."

rolyat_2008

When you have leverage use it. That means don't return as a senior unless drafted late and not offered much money.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Take Carson Shaddy for instance.. And this is not a knock.  I love the guy as a player.  He has fire in his belly.  It's simply a percentages assessment.

Shaddy was the number 450 prospect nationwide coming out of high school.  I'm not a draft pro, but Carson is probably projected somewhere around 250 to 300 in the draft.  Or about the ninth or tenth round.  I may be wrong.  Given his 5' 11", 185 lb. size, most gurus would assess that he has lower than average chance of working through the minors into the majors.  In other words, Shaddy is in that list of players that 4 out of 5 drafted never make the major league.  That probably doesn't change for Shaddy even with another year in college.

So why would Shaddy choose to sacrifice a senior season?  If he has his degree already as I think someone mentioned he may have in another thread, he can complete his bachelors in the process.  But I can fully understand if he has completed his degree his desire to move ahead. Just not on the pretense that I am headed for the big bright lights.  That will be a tough row to hoe.  I'll be pulling for him though.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: PintailKiller on June 06, 2017, 02:18:17 pm
It's not the dream of the parent, but the dream of the kid.  If my kid wanted to play professional baseball and had an opportunity, then take it.  I will never tell my kid he cannot pursue HIS dream.

That is what I was saying in the OP, how the parent in our society does not want to alter the course chosen by their grown child.

So I'm thinking you would feel near the same if your kid came in and said he was finishing his degree?  Good either way? 

spe450

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on June 06, 2017, 02:11:36 pm
My question would be, "What part of playing college baseball and getting a degree in the process is not living the dream?"  Was that not the original dream of the hopeful parent?  Did the parent not "suddenly" jump ahead of themselves? 

Most baseball players have to pay their own way or take out loans.  They can always come back and finish a degree once they test the limits of their ability and get paid to do so.

PintailKiller

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on June 06, 2017, 02:33:05 pm
Take Carson Shaddy for instance.. And this is not a knock.  I love the guy as a player.  He has fire in his belly.  It's simply a percentages assessment.

Shaddy was the number 450 prospect nationwide coming out of high school.  I'm not a draft pro, but Carson is probably projected somewhere around 250 to 300 in the draft.  Or about the ninth or tenth round.  I may be wrong.  Given his 5' 11", 185 lb. size, most gurus would assess that he has lower than average chance of working through the minors into the majors.  In other words, Shaddy is in that list of players that 4 out of 5 drafted never make the major league.  That probably doesn't change for Shaddy even with another year in college.

So why would Shaddy choose to sacrifice a senior season?  If he has his degree already as I think someone mentioned he may have in another thread, he can complete his bachelors in the process.  But I can fully understand if he has completed his degree his desire to move ahead. Just not on the pretense that I am headed for the big bright lights.  That will be a tough row to hoe.  I'll be pulling for him though.

It may be his lifelong dream to play professional baseball, if it is and he gets the opportunity, he needs to take it.  That degree can wait.  With most baseball scholarships being less than 50%, other than being a Hog for another year, what does he gain by staying?  There is a chance that he gets beat out for a position, gets hurt, etc, and never gets the opportunity again.

311Hog

Carson Shaddy is a perfect example for the counter to your argument.  I am not sure you understand that baseball players do not get much financial support from the school to play baseball.  Not like basketball or football players.

Also the reason players get significant $$ bonus's is because they "could" do something else then be in the team's minor league farm system (a human asset if you will).  once a player has nothing else he could be "within" baseball that player loses all leverage unless they are supremely talented.

it is a numbers game.  Is it impossible for Shaddy to come back to school and drop .340  23 HR 70 RBI and drastically improve his defensive play at 2b ? no it isnt,  he could and in that scenario he could earn himself a higher draft pick and more money greater shot at success in the MLB and probably complete his degree for sure.

But what is "more likely" is that he may have another season like he just had and make some improvements but not enough for scouts etc. to elevate his draft stock enough to overshadow that he is a senior and can only go to the minor leagues etc. (the only game in town) if he wants to continue to play baseball, and in that case the team will set the terms and there isn't alot he can do about it.

This is my  understanding of the way it works now i could be wrong, but basically if you get drafted in the first 10 or 20 rounds are a JR, don't have alot of "upside" if you will or room for improvement you use your leverage, get the biggest bonus you can, then try and make your mark in the minors if you are dead set on playing ball, or you get it a shot and if doesn't work out well then you got a nice little pile of cash to start you off and college isn't going to be anymore expense then it was when you were a player.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: PintailKiller on June 06, 2017, 02:44:04 pm
It may be his lifelong dream to play professional baseball, if it is and he gets the opportunity, he needs to take it.  That degree can wait.  With most baseball scholarships being less than 50%, other than being a Hog for another year, what does he gain by staying?  There is a chance that he gets beat out for a position, gets hurt, etc, and never gets the opportunity again.

Makes good sense in Shaddy's case.

Other than the injury thing that everyone always focuses upon, over focuses I think.  If you sign in the tenth round, or the first round for that matter, and get a career ending injury after signing, you don't have a job the next season anyway.  Injuries happen at all levels and can never be ruled out.  To bank upon injury/non-injury is just not rational.

Oh, I don't think he would have to worry about anyone taking his position either.

PintailKiller

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on June 06, 2017, 02:50:16 pm
Makes good sense in Shaddy's case.

Other than the injury thing that everyone always focuses upon, over focuses I think.  If you sign in the tenth round, or the first round for that matter, and get a career ending injury after signing, you don't have a job the next season anyway.  Injuries happen at all levels and can never be ruled out.  To bank upon injury/non-injury is just not rational.

Speaking from experience with the injury thing - blew my arm out my Jr year, never got another chance to play competitively.

jry04

You are wrong. Shaddy isn't even in the top 500. Your scenario doesn't add up. You claim Shaddy isn't a good prospect, but that he may be a 9th or 10th rounder. There are 49 rounds in the draft. If Shaddy goes in the top 10 he is considered a pretty solid prospect, and will have a signing bonus in the 6 figures. If he has his degree and gets drafted he might as well take the money to go pro for a year or two. The money he gets from his signing bonus combined with what little he makes annually ($25k-$30k) will equal or exceed what he would make in an entry level position in most fields for a few years.

BTW, I do agree with your assessment on him being an average at best prospect, but your numbers are way off.

BigBrandonAllenFan

June 06, 2017, 03:06:54 pm #16 Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 04:14:55 pm by BigBrandonAllenFan
Quote from: PintailKiller on June 06, 2017, 02:52:53 pm
Speaking from experience with the injury thing - blew my arm out my Jr year, never got another chance to play competitively.

I hate that for you.  Unfortunately a large percentage of good athletes wear your shoes.  Which is why injury can't be a main focus point.  Either you'll suffer an injury or you won't.  This is no immunity.  Some would argue the longer you play the more chance you have of injury, which by statistics would ring true I'm sure, so take the money and run, which doesn't lessen the chance of injury.

I do understand in the case of pitchers coming out early for good money.  Arms are a delicate kinda thing. A pitcher lives by his arm, and can't perform without it being in good shape, whereas a fielder can have a sore ankle and you tape it up and play. Big difference.

But take a look at Alex Lange at LSU.  He came back because he wanted to be a NCAA champion, injury wasn't even figured in the equation.  If it happens it happens.  You stay in the best of shape and steer clear of injurious situations as best you can.  I applaud Lange for that.  And now he is a top 3 draft prospect after his senior campaign.

jry04

Quote from: 311Hog on June 06, 2017, 02:47:13 pm
Carson Shaddy is a perfect example for the counter to your argument.  I am not sure you understand that baseball players do not get much financial support from the school to play baseball.  Not like basketball or football players.

Also the reason players get significant $$ bonus's is because they "could" do something else then be in the team's minor league farm system (a human asset if you will).  once a player has nothing else he could be "within" baseball that player loses all leverage unless they are supremely talented.

it is a numbers game.  Is it impossible for Shaddy to come back to school and drop .340  23 HR 70 RBI and drastically improve his defensive play at 2b ? no it isnt,  he could and in that scenario he could earn himself a higher draft pick and more money greater shot at success in the MLB and probably complete his degree for sure.

But what is "more likely" is that he may have another season like he just had and make some improvements but not enough for scouts etc. to elevate his draft stock enough to overshadow that he is a senior and can only go to the minor leagues etc. (the only game in town) if he wants to continue to play baseball, and in that case the team will set the terms and there isn't alot he can do about it.

This is my  understanding of the way it works now i could be wrong, but basically if you get drafted in the first 10 or 20 rounds are a JR, don't have alot of "upside" if you will or room for improvement you use your leverage, get the biggest bonus you can, then try and make your mark in the minors if you are dead set on playing ball, or you get it a shot and if doesn't work out well then you got a nice little pile of cash to start you off and college isn't going to be anymore expense then it was when you were a player.
This is pretty much the gist of it. You maximize your signing bonus when you can to make as much money off your talents while you can. If it doesn't work out, you have a nice head start at life that most 24-26 year old college graduates wish they had. You also get to say you played professional baseball and lived out your dream, no matter how long it was.