Hogs & MSU pitch counts for the regional

Started by bighog2255, June 05, 2017, 11:11:16 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bighog2255

Arkansas:

Stephan - 116 on Friday
Knight - 105 on Saturday
Murphy - 74 on Sunday
Reindl - 62 TOTAL (18 Saturday, 18 Sunday, 26 Sunday G2)
Tacco - 58 TOTAL (24 Saturday, 34 Sunday G2)
Kopps - 54 TOTAL (20 Friday, 34 Sunday G2)
Alberius - 40 Sunday G1
Cronin - 36 TOTAL (6 Friday, 6 Saturday, 24 Sunday G2)
Rogers - 24 Sunday G2
Loseke - 20 Sunday G2
Chadwick - 13 Sunday G2
Lee - 5 Sunday G2

MSU:

Coleman - 102 Saturday (#2 starter)
Fromson - 78 TOTAL (40 Friday, 19 Saturday, 19 Sunday) - set-up guy
Still - 72 Friday (#1 starter)
Knutson - 69 TOTAL (5 Friday, 36 Saturday, 28 Sunday) - #3 starter
Witherspoon - 65 Sunday (#5 starter)
Knight - 61 Sunday (#4 starter)
McAlister - 19 Sunday
YOUNG - 19 Friday (CLOSER)

For Arkansas, I would expect Loseke or Alberius to get the start. Hopefully, one of them can give us 2-3 innings. I would think Stephan and Knight would be available for 1 inning at the max. I expect Chadwick and/or Tacco to have a shot at a few innings if they can find a groove. Lee has the freshest arm, but hasn't been stretched out all season. Reindl, Kopps, Murphy may be able to matchup with a batter or 2.

For MSU, Still makes the most sense. I wouldn't expect more than 2-3 innings for him. You would think Fromson and Knutson are both unavailable after pitching 3 straight days. I believe they have a few pitchers on their roster who haven't thrown yet this weekend. If they can get into the 6th or 7th with a lead somehow, I think they turn it over to their closer (Young), who is fresh.

jry04

Quote from: bighog2255 on June 05, 2017, 11:11:16 am
Arkansas:

Stephan - 116 on Friday
Knight - 105 on Saturday
Murphy - 74 on Sunday
Reindl - 62 TOTAL (18 Saturday, 18 Sunday, 26 Sunday G2)
Tacco - 58 TOTAL (24 Saturday, 34 Sunday G2)
Kopps - 54 TOTAL (20 Friday, 34 Sunday G2)
Alberius - 40 Sunday G1
Cronin - 36 TOTAL (6 Friday, 6 Saturday, 24 Sunday G2)
Rogers - 24 Sunday G2
Loseke - 20 Sunday G2
Chadwick - 13 Sunday G2
Lee - 5 Sunday G2

MSU:

Coleman - 102 Saturday (#2 starter)
Fromson - 78 TOTAL (40 Friday, 19 Saturday, 19 Sunday) - set-up guy
Still - 72 Friday (#1 starter)
Knutson - 69 TOTAL (5 Friday, 36 Saturday, 28 Sunday) - #3 starter
Witherspoon - 65 Sunday (#5 starter)
Knight - 61 Sunday (#4 starter)
McAlister - 19 Sunday
YOUNG - 19 Friday (CLOSER)

For Arkansas, I would expect Loseke or Alberius to get the start. Hopefully, one of them can give us 2-3 innings. I would think Stephan and Knight would be available for 1 inning at the max. I expect Chadwick and/or Tacco to have a shot at a few innings if they can find a groove. Lee has the freshest arm, but hasn't been stretched out all season. Reindl, Kopps, Murphy may be able to matchup with a batter or 2.

For MSU, Still makes the most sense. I would think their plan is to get into the 6th or 7th with a lead somehow, and then turn it over to their closer (Young), who is fresh.

Good thread.

I think Reindl is available again for an inning or two if necessary. I know he has appeared in 3 games for over 60 pitches, but 2 of those games were relatively stress free. His 18 pitch 7 out performance v ORU was magnificent.

Realistically, we have a lot of options. I think we have more guys available who can throw 2-3 innings at a time than Missouri State does. MSU really has McAlister, Young, and potentially Still who you could see throwing 30-40 pitches and eating up 2-3 innings each. After that all their guys have thrown 60+ pitches, with 2 of them throwing 60+ last night. Young is a beast, but he hasn't been stretched out much. Friday against OSU they pulled him after 19 pitches and brought in Knutson. He is usually good for 20-30 pitches and then they have to bring in someone else. It would be unusual for him to throw multiple innings.

bighog2255

Quote from: jry04 on June 05, 2017, 11:17:18 am

Realistically, we have a lot of options. I think we have more guys available who can throw 2-3 innings at a time than Missouri State does. MSU really has McAlister, Young, and potentially Still who you could see throwing 30-40 pitches and eating up 2-3 innings each. After that all their guys have thrown 60+ pitches, with 2 of them throwing 60+ last night. Young is a beast, but he hasn't been stretched out much. Friday against OSU they pulled him after 19 pitches and brought in Knutson. He is usually good for 20-30 pitches and then they have to bring in someone else. It would be unusual for him to throw multiple innings.

Seems we are in a lot better spot than MSU. Do they not carry as many pitchers as Arkansas? Or do we carry so many because of our issues in the bullpen?

I saw where Young has pitched 2.2 innings on a few occasions this year, and as many as 48 pitches. I think we see him in he 6th or 7th if MSU has a lead

SPAL

parallaxpig

I see Denton getting shot if he gets to pitch to right part of Mo St line-up. Question, DVH mentioned using a position player to pitch. Was he kidding or do we have someone who pitched in high school. 
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

SPAL

Quote from: parallaxpig on June 05, 2017, 11:28:53 am
I see Denton getting shot if he gets to pitch to right part of Mo St line-up. Question, DVH mentioned using a position player to pitch. Was he kidding or do we have someone who pitched in high school. 

Evan Lee...😉

dotnet

parallaxpig

noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

HawgTrough

Quote from: parallaxpig on June 05, 2017, 11:28:53 am

I'm sure most of these guys pitched some in high school.
WPS

dotnet

People say Arkansas is in a better position, but I am not so sure about that. 

In a perfect world for MSU, Still gives them 3-4 and Young gives them 3.  That is 6-7 innings of 2 of your top end pitchers in an elimination game. 

Best case for Arkansas is one from Stephan and one from Reindl.  I get that Arkansas is better on the quantity side, but I'm not so sure on the quality. 

Granted, if you get Young and Still out after 3 innings combine, which is possible, then advantage Arkansas for the other six innings. 

dotnet

Lee is a gamer.  He competes every at bat and never seems over matched.  And he always seems in control when he is on the mound. 

I would love for Lee to go 3-5 innings tonight and cement his place in the rotation for next year. 

Two of Lee/Cronin/Chadwick have to come up big tonight in my opinion. 

rzrbkman

Fromson is similar to the former Razorback reliever Jay Sawatski who could/would pitch everyday if needed so I expect him to be ready. Young has been hurt and was not effective at all on Friday so he may not be available.

dotnet

It was raining, but Fromson looked like a shell of himself last night.  they can throw him again, but unless he does some kyrogenic stuff... it may not go well for them. 

If Young is hurt, then that is a big plus for Arkansas (though not as big of a plus as McKinney and Campbell being hurt)

bighog2255

Quote from: dotnet on June 05, 2017, 11:35:49 am

In a perfect world for MSU, Still gives them 3-4 and Young gives them 3.  That is 6-7 innings of 2 of your top end pitchers in an elimination game. 

Best case for Arkansas is one from Stephan and one from Reindl.  I get that Arkansas is better on the quantity side, but I'm not so sure on the quality. 

Granted, if you get Young and Still out after 3 innings combine, which is possible, then advantage Arkansas for the other six innings. 

Quote from: dotnet on June 05, 2017, 11:38:26 am
Lee is a gamer.  He competes every at bat and never seems over matched.  And he always seems in control when he is on the mound. 

I would love for Lee to go 3-5 innings tonight and cement his place in the rotation for next year. 

Two of Lee/Cronin/Chadwick have to come up big tonight in my opinion. 

Those are good points.

I love Lee too, but hoping for 3-5 innings seems like a huge stretch for a guy with 14 innings for the season. Plus, DVH loves to have him available to pinch hit/pinch run.

Who would you start? And more importantly, who does DVH start? I know it doesn't matter since he will only 2-3 innings, but curious

jry04

Reindl could potentially go more than 1. His pitch count for the weekend is decent, and most of his innings have been very easy. If he comes out and has an 18 pitch 2 innings like he did v ORU, then he could definitely go longer than 1. Still going 4 would be in a very perfect world. I think 40 pitches is probably his max, so he would have to have 4 quick innings of work. If we get any base runners on v him he is probably going 2 or 3.

bighog2255

Quote from: rzrbkman on June 05, 2017, 11:38:36 am
Young has been hurt and was not effective at all on Friday so he may not be available.

Where did you see/read this? He gave up a single and a bomb, but struck out 2 guys. It happens. I think they just took him out because he lost the lead and they didn't want to burn him up for the rest of the weekend. Fortunately for them, they came back and won

dotnet

Quote from: bighog2255 on June 05, 2017, 11:43:00 am
Who would you start? And more importantly, who does DVH start? I know it doesn't matter since he will only 2-3 innings, but curious

No idea, and I'm not sure that it matters either.  Maybee a lefty just to get through the leftys at the top of their order. 

onebadrubi

This is my line of thinking as well. 

I basically think Murphy, reindl, knight are not usable.  Stephan for 3 or less outs, probably more likely 1-2 outs in a jam.  Chadwick has shown me nothing to think he can get us outs.   Jury is out Cronin after his fall. Taco might be a little tired but I bet adrenaline and being a senior he can patch together some.  I just keep lookin at alberius for hoping for 5 innings.   

rzrbkman

Quote from: bighog2255 on June 05, 2017, 11:43:00 am
Those are good points.

I love Lee too, but hoping for 3-5 innings seems like a huge stretch for a guy with 14 innings for the season. Plus, DVH loves to have him available to pinch hit/pinch run.

.                  I believe the year
was 2000 and in the SECT semifinals Arkansas started Brad Bohannon who had only thrown about 7 innings all season and he threw 5.2 innings of effective ball and in the championship game reserve infielder Travis Daniel started. You never know...

dotnet

Quote from: jry04 on June 05, 2017, 11:43:31 am
Still going 4 would be in a very perfect world.

I think him going 4 is a pipe dream.  But 1 inning is probably a little light for my "best case scenario". 

The 18 pitch outing was unique.  It would be great if he did it again, but you can't expect that.  Not playing ORU any longer... 

TheEnemy

They also have a young guy who hasn't pitched they might give a look at

Alex Moore

onebadrubi

Quote from: dotnet on June 05, 2017, 11:47:44 am
No idea, and I'm not sure that it matters either.  Maybee a lefty just to get through the leftys at the top of their order.

I've thought about this too but don't like using a lefty early unless it's Murphy just for matching up later in the game.  I think Lee and or Cronin might be saved for late game situation against the top of the order. 

TheEnemy

Also Bryan Young threw 19 pitches Friday vs Okie st

MSUDuo

Quote from: bighog2255 on June 05, 2017, 11:26:11 am
Seems we are in a lot better spot than MSU. Do they not carry as many pitchers as Arkansas? Or do we carry so many because of our issues in the bullpen?

I saw where Young has pitched 2.2 innings on a few occasions this year, and as many as 48 pitches. I think we see him in he 6th or 7th if MSU has a lead

We don't carry as many players period. We have a self imposed limit. Max number allowed is 35 and we stop at 33 for whatever reason. Guttin/MSU has always done that.

bighog2255

Quote from: MSUDuo on June 05, 2017, 11:58:06 am
We don't carry as many players period. We have a self imposed limit. Max number allowed is 35 and we stop at 33 for whatever reason. Guttin/MSU has always done that.

Interesting. Thanks for the info. Although we may carry 35, one of those 35 is out for the season, and there are several others who haven't even played in a game this year

elksnort

I don't want to take away from a very good thread, but I am thinking that our batting will be the key. Murphy pitched pretty darn well but got no run support yesterday. Seems like Arledge got it going yesterday and the rest followed suit.

Let's just out hit them.

jry04

Quote from: elksnort on June 05, 2017, 12:10:41 pm
I don't want to take away from a very good thread, but I am thinking that our batting will be the key. Murphy pitched pretty darn well but got no run support yesterday. Seems like Arledge got it going yesterday and the rest followed suit.

Let's just out hit them.
No doubt. This will be another slugfest.

RaisinHog

Quote from: elksnort on June 05, 2017, 12:10:41 pm

Let's just out hit them.

This is key .. it will be up to the bats

jry04

Rogers did a decent job when he was in getting a few outs. His outing was cut short due to the rain, but I bet we see him again. MSU has a few left-handed hitters, so going with LHP may work out. We could throw Rogers for 1-2, Cronin for 1-2, Murphy potentially for a Lefty v Lefty matchup in a jam, and Evan Lee for an inning. That is potentially 3-5 innings of lefties pitching, and then we still have Alberius, Chadwick, Reindl, Loseke, Kopps, Taco to try and eat up the other 4-6 innings. I could definitely see us bring Stephan in the 9th if we have a lead to close it out, too.

Cronin looked great until he fell on the mound. Rogers got a ground ball out of the pen, then left the game with 2 outs and 2 on and we got out of the inning. Evan Lee struck out the 1 lefty he faced.

I honestly think I may start Rogers or Cronin. Have them face the two lefties to start the game. Have them go 2 innings and hope we have the bottom of the order up in the 3rd. Come in with Alberius or Chadwick to get them. Then, when it rolls back over to the top of the lineup in the 4th bring in whoever didn't start out of Cronin/Rogers and have them face the 2 lefties again. Play matchups all game long, and don't let their lineup see a guy more than twice.

HawgTrough

Quote from: RaisinHog on June 05, 2017, 12:28:18 pm
This is key .. it will be up to the bats

Agreed. Lets drop a baker's dozen on them and not make any errors.
WPS

jry04

Quote from: bighog2255 on June 05, 2017, 11:46:25 am
Where did you see/read this? He gave up a single and a bomb, but struck out 2 guys. It happens. I think they just took him out because he lost the lead and they didn't want to burn him up for the rest of the weekend. Fortunately for them, they came back and won
He actually gave up a single and then the triple to Benge for the cycle. He had 2 K, 2H, 2 ER in 1 inning of work.