Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

NCAAT REGIONAL FINAL GAME THREAD:#1 ARKANSAS (45-18) vs #2 Missouri State 42-18

Started by Razorbacks#1, June 05, 2017, 06:21:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruinstyle2001

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on June 06, 2017, 12:51:44 pm
I took my 2 boys to the first game of that Waco Super Regional. Interesting tournament...

A little tidbit…the Hogs had just swept the Houston Regional 3-0. In the first game vs Baylor at the Super, we got KILLED. Baylor sent several balls into the Brazos. Things didn't look good for us. Baylor had the next game—and a trip to Omaha—wrapped up. But then something crazy happened. Can't remember exactly what it was…something like a series of pitching mistakes. They may have balked a run in, loaded the bases then hit our batter, it was dumbfounding we got back in that game, tied it up, then won it. The deciding game went into extras, and we won.

We got to Omaha and won the first 2 games, the second being against South Carolina. I remember hoping that I could brag about seeing the ONLY LOSS we had in the entire NCAA Tournament. But then SC beat us 2 straight.

Conclusion…form holds mostly. After we got knocked out of the SEC Tourney, we got super hot in the NCAAs. Bounced back from our only loss (until we were eliminated), got a little lucky (always an important ingredient), then kept playing some really good ball. We were 7-1, but finally just ran out of steam.

In that Friday game at Baylor in 2012, DJ Baxendale pitched possibly his worst game of the year and served up several long balls.

Then in the Saturday game, we loaded the bases and there was two consecutive HBP that led to the tying and game-winning runs scoring.

But the best part of the deciding game was that Baylor pulled their SS for a pinch hitter (that ended up not paying off).  When he took to the field, he ended up booting what should have been a double play and it ended up costing them the game.

HawgTrough

Quote from: fullfan on June 05, 2017, 09:26:28 pm
Best team won the regional.  Faced an awesome crowd and played near perfect.  MoSt tough at top of line up.

Great season Hogs!!
Yep. They were just flat out better. Gonna be a really tough out for TCU
WPS

CJ HOG

Quote from: Bruinstyle2001 on June 06, 2017, 01:24:55 pm
In that Friday game at Baylor in 2012, DJ Baxendale pitched possibly his worst game of the year and served up several long balls.

Then in the Saturday game, we loaded the bases and there was two consecutive HBP that led to the tying and game-winning runs scoring.

But the best part of the deciding game was that Baylor pulled their SS for a pinch hitter (that ended up not paying off).  When he took to the field, he ended up booting what should have been a double play and it ended up costing them the game.
This is close. After looking back, the SS booted the DP ball in game 2 Hogs trailing 4-3, and the HBP's put us ahead. Game 3, the groundball went through the SS legs with 2 outs allowing Anderson to score in the 10th. That's definitely a series would probably should have lost when looking back at it. It was awesome for the Hogs to get to Omaha no matter how it happened.

toxichog

It was a great season when viewed from the turnaround standpoint.  I don't think that anybody that was honest thought we could go from what we saw last year.....to one of the better teams in the SEC.  In some ways it was even better than that.......best hitting, especially for power teams that I can remember at Arkansas.  By season end literally had two Friday Night starting pitchers......which makes you a legit National Title contender........that is why some are disappointed.  The only thing that team lacked by season end was a true "closer"........

Hogwild

Quote from: HawgTrough on June 06, 2017, 01:25:21 pm
Yep. They were just flat out better. Gonna be a really tough out for TCU

going to be a good series, odds are 60%-40% TCU advances
only 3 regionals have closer odds

DLUXHOG

"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

hogsanity

Arkansas this season reminded me of my Braves in the 90's and early 2000's, built for the long haul, but the couple weak spots they had could be exploited in the post season. That and Mo St has a couple really really good guys at the back end of their pen.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

BroyledNutts

Quote from: DLUXHOG on June 06, 2017, 03:36:58 pm
What if though....  Mo State goes all the way??

My opinion only :     TCU will send them home in 2 ... Meth State will not be able to handle TCU's pitching depth.