Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tell us about your playing days.....

Started by SPAL, May 30, 2017, 09:02:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Snoutman

Played from 8-15 many years ago. Played little league in England and Pony league/Babe Ruth in Rose city. My fondest memory was playing in the State tournament with Deese Hardware when I was 14 at Lamar Porter field. Warmed up walked to the dugout getting ready for the game, looked at the wall of the dugout and there was Brooks Robinson's name carved in the wall. I'm 64 now and I still remember how it made me feel. But the best memories are of my Dad coming home after working all day and seeing us 3 little boys waiting on him with our gloves and a bat. Dad would get out of the car put his lunch box on the hood grab the bat and we would play Flies and Skinner's until supper time. Sure miss him.

Fairview76

I only made it to Tee shirt league growing up; wished I was good enough to play Little League but was scrawny, short, slow and non athletic.  I didn't hit my growth spurt until I was a junior in high school.  My son started out playing with his buddies when he was 5 on the t-ball fields.  Unfortunately, he inherited my genes and by the time he started high school, he was much shorter than his other classmates.  He was the last player picked for the freshman high school team and the coach told him he probably wouldn't last the year (I had to sell a lot of team chocolate to keep a place on the team for him).  But luckily for him, he hit his huge growth spurt after his freshman year and he came back as a 6'-2" sophomore and eventually ended up at 6'-3" as a senior.  My favorite memory was picking up my parents down in South Arkansas and driving them over to Taylor Field in Pine Bluff when he was a senior in high school.  That was the first time my parents had a chance to see him play.  We arrived a little late and the game had already started.  My mother was a little feeble so I was helping her up the ramp to her seat.  My son was hitting cleanup back then and I noticed he was just up to bat when we arrived so I told my mom to wait and watch from the ramp and not get in the way of people seated.  He already had a 1-2 count and I was thinking the first time for my parents to see him bat, he was probably going to strike out.  The next pitch was a breaking ball and he sent it over the left field scoreboard for his very first home run.  And you know, the next time he came up to bat, he hit the scoreboard in left for his second home run.  I was able to retrieve both home run balls and he gave his first one to me as a Father's Day gift a few years later.  An article was written the next day after the game in the Pine Bluff Commercial Appeal and his coach told the reporter that he was going to buy a ticket for my parents for all of the rest of his games, especially if he was going to be hitting multiple home runs.  He competed against DJ Baxendale, Tyler Spoon and Brandon Moore in high school and he stopped playing baseball after the Legion season ended the summer before his freshman year of college.  He decided to go the academic route at the UofA in Engineering.  That was my baseball memory!

dcrback

Mid 50's.  Pitcher and shortstop in the little league.  My coach said I had the distinction of being the only player in his 20+ years of coaching to have been ejected from the game. ;D  (long story there... :'(
Life is simpler when you plow around the stumps...and yes, I would have sold guns to the Indians!

Dr. Starcs

Pitcher
High school
Consistent strike thrower, crafty southpaw, blazing 75 mph fastball

One of my best memories was being told right before a game with Bentonville that I was getting the unexpected start on the mound. Proceeded to throw 5 no hit innings till the ump started squeezing me. Walked the bases loaded then got yanked still with a no hitter. My teammate came in and got out of the jam and we ended up getting the win.

SPAL

Quote from: Surfing8 on May 31, 2017, 02:38:10 pm
Played from the time I could run up mid-way thru HS before focusing solely on football... always enjoyed hitting people... sometimes I even wrapped up.  :) 

I was on 3 state champ teams in LL and Pony... played every position but catcher... found a home in CF because I was fast with a strong arm. 
Curve balls were never fun... I could hit for power but struggled with consistency in later years. 

I've coached my son since we started throwing nerf balls around the house, but sadly see that coming to an end this summer after I manage our LL Majors All-Star team.  I do enjoy just being a parent and watching him play travel, and will be thankful for however far he's able to go in the game.   

I can always guage age range by those who use the term pony league.

SPAL

I played for a AA high school and Arkansas Baptist was the LSU of double A. I remember my junior year thinking this was our best chance to finally beat them.

Our senior class was loaded with talent. My junior class was pretty good and we had a couple of sophomores that were expected to contribute.

First game against them was at our park. And just like LSU, they got all the calls. We took a lead into the 7th and our starting pitcher had been on. They managed a couple of base runners and had something going with 2 outs.

Our pitcher was ahead in the count 0-2 but the batter battled back to even it at 2-2. The next pitch is a coffee can strike right down main Street and it's taken....ump calls it ball 3.

Next pitch is driven a mile to left , I don't move, and I watched it sail over my head to give them the lead. Our pitcher got tossed, our coach got tossed, and we couldn't score in our half and they beat us again.

DEVIL DOG HOG

In Michigan. Played LL until Jr high. Then played football.
"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

barzrback

Didn't play but married to someone that did! 
High school, college (Razorback!) and a little pro ball. 
Looking forward to this regional, super then on to Omaha!
WPS!!! GOHOGS!!!

Flatline

I played third base until I destroyed my arm and moved to first.  I was known for not allowing many balls through even in the dirt.  Had a great stretch.

I could crush a ball but I also swung for the fences every time so you can imagine how that went with the coaches.  I loved it and still play softball just to be a part of the game in some way.

reptilehog

Played 1 or 2 years back in the late 60's, left field, I think.  My mom said I spent more time in the creek beyond the outfield catching frogs, snakes, and turtles during the games.  Thus the name.....

Amityvillehogger

Played 4 years of college ball. Coach HS baseball now. Lots of lifelong memories in and around this game.
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

hogwild32

Played from T-ball to my Junior year in High School. Had to quit with 6 games left in the season in order to afford my truck payment and insurance. Missed out on a state title that year. (Malvern 2001). I don't regret it. Needed that truck. Girls don't like a guy with no vehicle

thebignasty

T-ball through 15 or so. In t-ball, a kid caught a pop up, I was begging him to throw me the ball so we could double off the runner from first,  who I guess was off confused in left or something, couldn't get the kid who caught it to throw it to me through his own confusion, so i went and picked up the kid with the ball and carried him to and placed him on first- success. I turned an unassisted triple play once, caught a line drive at short, stepped on second, and tagged the runner from first. I was pretty proud of myself for that. I was one of the few kids who could actually throw strikes when kid pitch started up so I got to pitch a lot but never really had 'stuff.'  Hurt my shoulder as a teenager and the last couple of years of baseball were misery for me.

Knot2brite

Played at a small school in high school...had a chance to play at A State but blew my knee...rehabbed for a year and tried out for Tech and blew my knee again..got married graduated from college..got a divorce..went back to school and walked into Coach Harpeneau's office and asked to volunteer with the baseball team for the experience...he let me and I learned a lot about baseball and life...coaches high school baseball for ten years and legion ball for 13 years...moved jobs and I have coached high school softball for ten years now because I have a little girl that is neck deep in it...
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

tennesseehogwild

Played all the way from 7 thru 3 years of American Legion.Pitched and played SS and some OF occasionally. Fastball in low 80's on my best day with a pretty good slider and curve. Unfortunately I was same age and in same District as Former Hog Michael Loggins of Crossett. I remember pitching against him from 12 years old all the way through Legion. I honestly don't remember ever getting him out.

Hogs49ers

After reading a lot of these, I want to play right now!  How do I go about getting on a softball team?  I do not care who is on it, I just want to play.  It would be cool if we could create a Hogville team!
SCREW Vandy!

Wisco Pig

Grew up on a cul-de-sac in Southwest Little Rock.  Our front yard was the infield and the circle beyond was the outfield.  Any balls hit over the circle were home runs.  The only things that stopped play were rain, lunch, and a neighbor's German Shepherd that would occasionally get loose and send the players screaming back to their homes.

Played Little League out in Mabelvale.  Dad would help coach the team when he had time; otherwise, he'd sit in the stands and offer constructive hints like "Straighten it out this time!" or "Keep your butt down!" in his booming bass-baritone.

Mom was very late in picking me up after practice one day.  She was in hysterics; a careless motorcyclist had collided with our station wagon and hurt himself badly.  She kept exhorting me to pray as we drove to the hospital.

Moved to East Texas, where I remember my brother and I hit back-to-back home runs one humid summer night.

Another summer I recall Dad driving me out to practice, and the team was gone.  The other players had quit en masse, we found out later, in protest of the coach.  He didn't seem like a bad guy to me.

My brothers became much better players than I ever was, and enjoyed good high school careers.  One of them briefly considered walking on at LSU but realized he would have been in way over his head.  Another brother pitched for a semester at a small Southern college but forgot to study for classes.  After his one and only win (I think), the local daily, for which I was then working as a reporter, botched the game story by getting his name wrong — the sportswriter, an acquaintance, absent-mindedly gave me credit for the win instead and the editors were asleep at their desks, as usual.

My brother would later forgive me.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: Snoutman on May 31, 2017, 03:36:10 pm
Pony league/Babe Ruth in Rose city. My fondest memory was playing in the State tournament with Deese Hardware when I was 14...

I remember Deese Hardware. They were one of the first team sponsors in the Rose City area. Coleman Dairy was a big time team sponsor in Rose City back then. Shipley Donuts, Derryberry Auto Parts, and Norman Clifton Auto Salvage were other great sponsors in that era.

pccmizuno24

Verbally Committed To Wichita State after Sophomore year (infielder)
Tore ACL  late in Junior year of Football
Missed Junior year of Baseball
Tore ACL again first game of Football Senior year
busted tail and put together a decent Senior year of baseball
ended up at D2 school over JC.
quit school after they moved me to pitcher and no longer let me hit..

joined military
have had 5 other kneed surgeries since....
bad knee genes i suppose.

Was AAU teamate for years with
Jay Sawatski
Clay Goodwin
Jon Richmond (only played a year for hogs)

had several other kids off that team play D2 ball as well
another kid played at Baylor and one at Missouri

pccmizuno24

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on June 01, 2017, 07:23:54 am
I remember Deese Hardware. They were one of the first team sponsors in the Rose City area. Coleman Dairy was a big time team sponsor in Rose City back then. Shipley Donuts, Derryberry Auto Parts, and Norman Clifton Auto Salvage were other great sponsors in that era.

I remember a Hum's hardware from RC

HAWG MAFIA

I didn't play enough to mention, but I loved the game as a kid. Me and a few friends played wiffle ball all the time. Spent many nights laying on my bed with head at the foot and tossing a tennis ball off the wall, while listening to Jack Buck (GOAT imo) call the Cardinals games. That constant thump drove my sisters crazy, lol. Great memories!!!

One memory from early in my officiating career. Calling and 10&under boys tournament game. Prior to the game the Coach in the 3rd base dugout just kept telling me how good his team was. Blah, blah, blah, wasn't modest or humble at all. I graciously excused myself, went to the 1st base side and Coach comes up to talk, very laid back, says his kids are just in it for fun. You can tell they're not taking it seriously. Well as the game goes along I have to warn the team in the 3rd base dugout to put their bats in the dugout, don't lean them against outside the dugout.

Bottom of the 7th, the GOOD team is down 1, 2 outs, tying run on first. Batter hits line drive to left, LF misplays it, gonna be a close play at 3rd, throw comes into 3rd, gets away from 3rd basemen and rolls towards dugout. Runner heads home, 3rd basemen chases after the ball, it rolls behind some bats leaning against the fence outside the dugout, he can't make a play. So I call the lead runner out, interference, ball game over.

Crowd is going nuts because they think they've tied the game, and would probably end up winning up from there. They got even crazier when they realized I called the runner out. Coach goes nuts, a couple of dads start onto the field, they're between me and the direction I need to go to leave the field. I'm in a jam!!!! It's getting outta hand quickly.

Suddenly a guy step around me from behind and puts his hands on my shoulders and says " I'm ____ ____ AR State Trooper, I got this." I reply '"It's all yours ____". Turned and walked off. Got a call from his Sgt several months later asking for my side of the story, which matched his.

He go into officiating later and we've actually called a few games together. It's been fun.

Pig Power

Baseball is a family affair for me. Mom, Uncles, and Grandfathers all coached in various leagues and it clear to me early that baseball would be the biggest part of my Spring/Summer activity. Even Clay Henry wrote a piece on my mother because she became one of the best little coaches in the history of NWA. Happy to say, being the oldest of three brothers that I was part of the beginning of the "Royal" dynasty that my brothers and cousins continued for many years.
Played HS baseball at a small HS in NWA and didn't get a ton of exposure back in the day. Went to JUCO and they immediately moved me full time to the bump. Only bat I picked up for the next five years was that damn fungo (hated it). Kind of found my true calling there after a medical redshirt year and had offers from SMSU (at the time) WSU, SEMO, and some other regional schools. Mulled it over and then one of my best friends called me and needed a ride down to old AIC school ATU in Russellville. I had nothing to do that weekend and little did I know he promised coaches there I would throw a bullpen. Ended up signing with them, met the love of my life there, and made life friends. I don't know what all conference in the AIC meant back then, but I was a proud to represent the Wonderboy Nation.
Had a choice after college, but the arm was tired after logging so many innings and ended up going to work for WMT.
Still around the game having coached all of my boys through rec ball and into travel and find myself watching it every night . It really is an addiction that I gladly accept much to my wife's displeasure. Now I get to be a fan only and love it.

Thanks for starting this thread-  just took a ride down memory lane.

BigBrandonAllenFan

June 01, 2017, 08:09:05 am #72 Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 08:20:50 am by BigBrandonAllenFan
Quote from: pccmizuno24 on June 01, 2017, 07:37:03 am
I remember a Hum's hardware from RC

Yep. Them too. I was good Friends with PJ Hum. We were the same age. He married Tina Caldwell. Tina was one of the prettiest girls in Rose City. Last I heard they are still in love 40 years later.  PJ and his older brother AJ were good guys. They all worked at their hardware store in Rose City.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on May 31, 2017, 12:41:33 pm
Those can be more cutthroat than any other type of league.

No doubt. There are some really stupid rules in them as well.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on May 31, 2017, 04:27:43 pm

Lol. I was a pony leaguer. I used babe ruth in my post because the newer generation doesn't relate to the pony league age group.

SPAL

Quote from: HAWG MAFIA on June 01, 2017, 07:59:48 am
I didn't play enough to mention, but I loved the game as a kid. Me and a few friends played wiffle ball all the time. Spent many nights laying on my bed with head at the foot and tossing a tennis ball off the wall, while listening to Jack Buck (GOAT imo) call the Cardinals games. That constant thump drove my sisters crazy, lol. Great memories!!!

One memory from early in my officiating career. Calling and 10&under boys tournament game. Prior to the game the Coach in the 3rd base dugout just kept telling me how good his team was. Blah, blah, blah, wasn't modest or humble at all. I graciously excused myself, went to the 1st base side and Coach comes up to talk, very laid back, says his kids are just in it for fun. You can tell they're not taking it seriously. Well as the game goes along I have to warn the team in the 3rd base dugout to put their bats in the dugout, don't lean them against outside the dugout.

Bottom of the 7th, the GOOD team is down 1, 2 outs, tying run on first. Batter hits line drive to left, LF misplays it, gonna be a close play at 3rd, throw comes into 3rd, gets away from 3rd basemen and rolls towards dugout. Runner heads home, 3rd basemen chases after the ball, it rolls behind some bats leaning against the fence outside the dugout, he can't make a play. So I call the lead runner out, interference, ball game over.

Crowd is going nuts because they think they've tied the game, and would probably end up winning up from there. They got even crazier when they realized I called the runner out. Coach goes nuts, a couple of dads start onto the field, they're between me and the direction I need to go to leave the field. I'm in a jam!!!! It's getting outta hand quickly.

Suddenly a guy step around me from behind and puts his hands on my shoulders and says " I'm ____ ____ AR State Trooper, I got this." I reply '"It's all yours ____". Turned and walked off. Got a call from his Sgt several months later asking for my side of the story, which matched his.

He go into officiating later and we've actually called a few games together. It's been fun.

Very cool

SPAL

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on June 01, 2017, 08:15:25 am

Lol. I was a pony leaguer. I used babe ruth in my post because the newer generation doesn't relate to the pony league age group.

I would guess you played in the 70s or early 80's

BigBrandonAllenFan

June 01, 2017, 08:44:22 am #77 Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 08:58:03 am by BigBrandonAllenFan
Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on May 31, 2017, 04:27:43 pm

My one shining moment came in pony league. It was my first pony league year at age 13. We were playing against Dover I think it was, in the state championship game being held at Burns Park. I had been trying to get my dad to buy me a Honda 100 motorcycle.  I came to the plate in the first inning with the bases loaded and two out and the score was 0-0.  As I came to the plate, my skinny presense caused the opposing coach to draw his outfield in about 5 steps. My dad was sitting with his best friend, and told him, "if Michael will just knock that ball over the left fielders head I'll buy him that motorcycle he wants". Lo and behold, first pitch, I hit the fence, straight over the left fielders head.  Mr . Whitlock told dad, "Bill, I hope you've got $400."  He said dad just sit there with his mouth wide open, speechless. Mr. Whitlock was down at the dugout pretty quickly informing me of my dad's declaration.  We went on to win the game. Dad bought me that Honda 100 the next day..

Dominicanhog

Quote from: ricepig on May 30, 2017, 09:09:31 pm
I had one hit as 12 year old, my last year to play baseball, but I could hit a golf ball about 230 yards, which was pretty good for a 12 year old with persimmon woods.

sorry, quoted wrong post...

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on June 01, 2017, 08:43:35 am
I would guess you played in the 70s or early 80's
first year was 1965 as a new teenie leaguer. I'll be 58 next month.

bosshog84

I was 11 playing for our all star team in the state tournament. We had lost the first game of the tournament but came back and won the next 2. We were playing against Star City and they came out of the gates blazing. We found ourselves down 10-1 in the 4th inning. During our 4th inning at bat we came storming back with 8 runs and found ourselves only down a run. We held them to no runs in the 5th. I had been watching the game from the bench all day when coach comes up to me and tells me to get a bat because I would be hitting 2nd that inning. First batter up that inning lines a single into right. I make my way up to the plate sweating and shaking. We are playing in Russellville and the chain-link fences in the outfield are about 30 feet high. I get a pitch right down the pipe and swing as hard as I can and blast it into right and the ball goes over everything! It was the first and last home run over the fence for me. We end up scoring 2 more and win the game 13-10 advancing to the state title game which we got smoked by a team from LR.

Jackrabbit Hog

Played teeny league, little league, pony league (same as Babe Ruth), American Legion.  We didn't have high school ball back then so Legion ball was our big thing.  Our small town wasn't enough to draw a competitive Legion team, so we drew from Carlisle, Hazen, Des Arc and England too.  That was kinda neat because guys you had played other sports against from those towns were your summer teammates and you got to make a lot of lasting friendships.  We were in the same district as all the NLR Legion programs like BJ McAdams, Dejanis, Sylvan Hills, etc.  A good season for us was usually .500.  But my second season we got hot for some reason, just before tournament time, and we made it all the way to the district championship game.  Had we won that game, we would have made the state tournament (but we didn't).  My last year, we were in district and several guys had college testing commitments and we had to forfeit because we didn't have enough to play.  I drove like a bat out of he11 to get to the field in Jacksonville on time because I would have been the 9th man there, but as I got to the parking lot I saw everybody else loading up to go home.  I felt horrible. 

I walked on at UCA my sophomore year but picked a lousy year to do that.  Defending AIC champs, had only lost a handful of seniors and only had one spot open for a walk on.  40 guys tried out for that one spot.  I made the first and second cuts, but that was it and my career was officially over, other than years of softball after that.  Oh, and the one guy that made it as a walk on ended up starting and making All AIC that year.

I was a second baseman.  If I had to grade myself, I'd say hitting D, arm D, fielding A-, baserunning and bunting A.  I had to scrap because I wasn't that great.  But I loved the game, still love the game, and coached my son for about 10 years in the Sylvan Hills optimist leagues. 

Hands down, the best player I ever played against was Kevin McReynolds.  I played two years of legion ball against him and he was just so much better than everybody else.  Just a natural.  He hit 3 home runs at our little band box field one year - one to left, one to center and one to right.  When he came up a fourth time, we intentionally walked him even though there was nobody on base. 

And, hands down, my greatest memory from baseball wasn't my own.  It was when my son's high school team won the state championship in 2007 at Baum.  Tiny little private school from Sherwood, the first title in any sport.  And he had a great championship game with 3 hits (one a triple that started the winning rally), two runs scored and three RBI's.  He caught the last out of the game so the dogpile was on him, and the next morning there was a huge photo in the Democrat-Gazette's sports page that clearly shows him at the bottom of the pile, looking up and grinning like a possum.  I blubbered like a baby after the game.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

JHicks3636

When you read these posts you understand the love of the game that our members have and why this forum is such a special place.

Razorback_Mack

Started at 7 played through high school. Love the game with a passion. I can remember playing every position in a baseball game. Mostly played 3rd and pitched. I can remember throwing a couple of no hitters through the years. I was mainly a line drive and hard ground ball type of hitter. Considering I had terrible vision in my left eye I think I played pretty well. I had lasik eye surgery when I got older and was able to pay for it. I'd like to know what might have been if I'd have had it younger.

PintailKiller

Quote from: JHicks3636 on June 01, 2017, 09:35:26 am
When you read these posts you understand the love of the game that our members have and why this forum is such a special place.

YES!
"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don't move."

SPAL

Found out through this thread that one of my favorite regulars here (knot2brite) coached me when I was in 9th grade.

dc10x1103

pony league in 1953.  our all star team won in longview, texas and then won in san Antonio.  willis callaway and Norris guinn wrote a book about us playing at lamar porter field in little rock.  American legion in 1954, 55, 56 in north little rock. prep league in little rock.

woodrow hog call

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on June 01, 2017, 11:29:20 am
Found out through this thread that one of my favorite regulars here (knot2brite) coached me when I was in 9th grade.

If he could have just realized your true potential, you would probably be in the majors today.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

SPAL

Quote from: woodrow hog call on June 01, 2017, 12:19:58 pm
If he could have just realized your true potential, you would probably be in the majors today.

Lol. I was Ken freaking Griffey

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: dc10x1103 on June 01, 2017, 11:44:27 am
pony league in 1953.  our all star team won in longview, texas and then won in san Antonio.  willis callaway and Norris guinn wrote a book about us playing at lamar porter field in little rock.  American legion in 1954, 55, 56 in north little rock. prep league in little rock.

That's cool. I think you may have just claimed this thread's patriarch award.

yraciv

I played from tball up until 7th grade, when knowledge of the game was becoming less beneficial and athleticism was starting to take over. In my last game, made a diving catch with the bases loaded, late in the game, to help win us a championship, so that was a very fond memory. I was a contact hitter with no pop, but still hit for a decent average because I was quick and could find the gaps. I would usually play 2nd or LF most of my career.

Umped throughout high school to make some cash. Fondest memory doing that, was not a positive one. Called a pitching machine championship game, and was in the field when a coach asked for time. The ump on the mound was in the zone, didn't acknowledge I put my hands up and yelled for it, and put the ball in the machine. Kid proceeds to clear the bases loaded with a triple. Team wants a repitch, but play stands because the players reacted like normal and time wasn't granted.  It costed one team an undefeated season. Never seen so many adults screaming & yelling at umpires "high school kids".

yraciv

My 5th/6th grade league was considered Pony and I'm 29, so we must have been grandfathered into the old terms.  Still is in the league.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: yraciv on June 01, 2017, 12:37:44 pm
I played from tball up until 7th grade, when knowledge of the game was becoming less beneficial and athleticism was starting to take over. In my last game, made a diving catch with the bases loaded, late in the game, to help win us a championship, so that was a very fond memory. I was a contact hitter with no pop, but still hit for a decent average because I was quick and could find the gaps. I would usually play 2nd or LF most of my career.

Umped throughout high school to make some cash. Fondest memory doing that, was not a positive one. Called a pitching machine championship game, and was in the field when a coach asked for time. The ump on the mound was in the zone, didn't acknowledge I put my hands up and yelled for it, and put the ball in the machine. Kid proceeds to clear the bases loaded with a triple. Team wants a repitch, but play stands because the players reacted like normal and time wasn't granted.  It costed one team an undefeated season. Never seen so many adults screaming & yelling at umpires "high school kids".

Funny in hindsight. 

I umped from 15 y/o for a few years.  Some extreme type parents expected you to be a major league pro.  When I was 16 I was umping behind the plate at a teenie league game at Rose City, and a 40's looking guy took it over the edge on my balls and strikes and I tossed him from the park. He shouted, "you can't do that." When he looked around several dads had suddenly moved around him and one of them said, "yes he can, do we need to get the police?" The guy stepped down off the bleachers and headed for the gate.  I think they were just about ready to toss him on their own anyway. I remember the relief I felt when those dads stepped up to the plate in that situation. That had to look funny, a skinny 16 y/o kid tossing the old guy. 

TexasDad

I have a close friend that was a wire to wire ballplayer (a stud at 6 and a stud at 18 – played for OU, drafted by the Cardinals but never got above of AA ball). He was nearly 50 when we had this conversation – my son was 10 or 11 at the time and heavy into baseball.

"What was your favorite thing about playing baseball for nearly 20 years?"  - Without hesitation, he said the relationships and escapades with his teammates and coaches. He said, the individual moments on the field fade, but he still misses the special connection with his teammates every day.

"What was your least favorite thing about playing baseball for nearly 20 years?" - Without a thought, he said the behavior of my dad in the stands. Then he recounted a Little League game where he K'd for the final out with bases loaded down by one. "My dad called me pathetic!".  At 50, instant recollection and there was still pain/resentment in the recount.

I remember thinking – please God, don't let me give my kid a lifetime memory like that...

Either you get baseball or you don't – there's certainly something special about it – a comfortable feel that defies definition – a pull that can't be explained to those untouched by it, and a kinship with those who are...

Go Hogs!

rudebaker

Played on some great teams growing up.  High school in Ashdown and American Legion in Texarkana.  Had some pretty good teams in the late 80's, early 90's.  Don Bearden was a class act, favorite coach I ever had.

Boog41

Quote from: TexasDad on June 01, 2017, 01:37:54 pm
I have a close friend that was a wire to wire ballplayer (a stud at 6 and a stud at 18 – played for OU, drafted by the Cardinals but never got above of AA ball). He was nearly 50 when we had this conversation – my son was 10 or 11 at the time and heavy into baseball.

"What was your favorite thing about playing baseball for nearly 20 years?"  - Without hesitation, he said the relationships and escapades with his teammates and coaches. He said, the individual moments on the field fade, but he still misses the special connection with his teammates every day.

"What was your least favorite thing about playing baseball for nearly 20 years?" - Without a thought, he said the behavior of my dad in the stands. Then he recounted a Little League game where he K'd for the final out with bases loaded down by one. "My dad called me pathetic!".  At 50, instant recollection and there was still pain/resentment in the recount.

I remember thinking – please God, don't let me give my kid a lifetime memory like that...

Either you get baseball or you don't – there's certainly something special about it – a comfortable feel that defies definition – a pull that can't be explained to those untouched by it, and a kinship with those who are...

Go Hogs!

When was your friend at OU?

Jackrabbit Hog

A few years ago I realized that a couple of guys who post regularly were kids who lived on my street when I coached youth league baseball in Sherwood back in the '90s.  The funny thing is, they were disagreeing on something and had no idea they knew each other or had been basically neighbors 20 years earlier. 
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

NEA_HogFan

I remember playing 1 year of tball, and didn't pick it up again until I was 11. But I was always a natural athlete. Led my summer league in home runs that first year back and developed a love for pitching. I sat the bench my freshman year of high school. I was an average high school hitter hitting around .375 with a 3-4 homeruns a year. Sophomore year I was really good on the mound hitting 84-86 with a sharp curve. Had multiple 13,14,15 strikeout games.
Got invited to the Extra Innings Underclassman showcase at UALR that summer. I paid the money and went. Got to pitch one stinking inning and bat twice. It was a joke. All about whos kid you are.
Was all conference and all Region 3 times and All State my senior year.
The thing that I look back at now is I hardly ever hit the weight room or did the extra things that separates good high school players from the elite D1 prospects. And it is simply because I didn't know. I didn't know anything about the recruiting process or how to train to get where I needed to be. I was a big athletic kid. 6'3' 200lbs and touchced 88-89 a few games my senior year but mostly sat 84-86. I just wonder how good I could have been if I had the knowledge to better myself.

Hooter

I shared a baseball memory....now an umpiring memory that I am not so proud of.  I was 19 years old and took care of the fields during the summer after college ball was done.  Part of my job was to umpire behind the plate for the Pony League games.  I was a college pitcher and knew the strike zone...and told the kids and coaches that I was a pitchers ump.  If it is close it is a strike.  There was a coach from a private school that was butt hurt that I would not attend his school in high school and gave me the business every game.  His pitchers thought they could follow suit and after warnings several times, I kicked the pitcher out of the game, kicked the coach out of the game and kicked him out of the park.  He stood behind the fence about a foot out of the park and continued to mock me.  I was at that time 6'2" and an athletic 225 lbs.  I stopped the game and told him that as soon as the game was over I was going to whip his a$$ in front of his wife.  I followed him to his house and thankfully he was scared to get out of his car.  I am so glad that I did not have the opportunity to do what I told him I was going to do....even though he probably had it coming.  That did cure his mouthing from that point on though....

Knot2brite

Well I can vouch for the catch and tell every one that you were a good player. You might not have been able to crush the ball but you had a good swing...amazing that it was almost 20 years ago since all of that happened....I remember it as if it was just a couple months ago...good to hear from you again...not to get all sappy but I am proud that you have turned into a fine young man ...always a pleasure to see a kid that you coach turn out so well
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required