Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

PAT BRADLEY OUT AT 103.7 THE BUZZ?

Started by centar, February 04, 2013, 11:55:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

cypert2

Listened to Matt Jones show this afternoon. Not real good but they do talk about the Razorbacks. But, who calls in? None other than Tommy Smith! Can't get away from him.
Swinging on the two and the four.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Nothing against Bradley, but you know it's slow in Hog Sports when there's 5 pages about him and other radio personalities.

Just not enough discussions or news.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on February 22, 2013, 07:52:01 am
Hmm...well, I don't listen to it regularly, but Bo's show is on 92.1 in NWA unless it was taken off in the last week or so if that's what you're looking for in particular.  If not, then 1190 is about the only game in town. 

I invite you to listen to my show on 1190 while you are in NWA.  My newest station is KEWI 690 in Benton/Little Rock.
Retired Radio Host

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: LedZepHog on February 25, 2013, 06:03:35 pm
I agree, but how often does that happen on Acri's show?

Not that often, but I think maybe I'm confused.  I liked Bradley on there, because he not only had insight about at least basketball, but he had a good sense of humor that complemented Acri.  There wasn't any cutting edge sports stuff on there, but have nothing against the content on the show. 

I listen to 93.3 a lot too, but at times I just get tired of hearing old rock and roll songs that I know every guitar lick and lyric to.  I listen to UU's show quite a bit too.  I have nothing against Bo, but for whatever reason I've just never been a huge fan.  I listen occasionally.  I don't really have a reason, anymore than other people have a reason for not liking Acri.  It's just one of those things. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on February 25, 2013, 08:25:50 pm
I invite you to listen to my show on 1190 while you are in NWA.  My newest station is KEWI 690 in Benton/Little Rock.

Ched...I listen to your show all the time on the fan.  We've even had discussions on the board about it in the past.  I know the whole cast of characters, and callers.  I've listened since you first came on The Fan in the 1-4 slot following Acri, and before Drive Time.  I've never called in, but I started to a few times when you were on your Jeff Long hater kick, and it seemed like the whole program was dedicated to running him down.  Those were your dark days to me. 

You almost got removed from my listening lineup on the call to the Joplin car lot.  While the sign was funny about "I bet Petrino scored on Saturday," after we were destroyed by Bama, you were teetering on bashing the program.  What saved you was when it became apparent that the guy was actually a Mizzou fan, and was in fact making fun of us, and you bristled a little and said it wasn't as funny since he wasn't a Hog fan.  I realize you were against the BP firing, but that was a little too much for me.     

You keep it real...I give you that.  However, I know since then you've patched things up with JL, and I hope it will at least give you some pause the next time you really go overboard with an opinion and turn it into what appeared to be a crusade. 

One day you had a female in studio from NE Arkansas...can't remember her moniker now.  She went off about JL being a Carpet Bagging Yankee, and not only did you agree, but two other callers called in and agreed with her and joined in the bash session.  That went on for a few hours, and then just before your show went off, you mentioned Franklin as a possible HC candidate and what she thought.  She proceeded to say that we certainly didn't need a coach who would make comments about the assistant coaches wives, and she wouldn't be in favor of him even being considered.  I almost had to pull over.  Here's a woman who was siding with Petrino over Jeff Long, willing to overlook his affair, his lying, and breaking UA policy...but was appalled that Franklin would make one poor joke that he immediately regretted and recanted.  I admit...I didn't listen for a week.  You were on timeout in my car.   ;)   
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

OldCoot

Quote from: cypert2 on February 25, 2013, 07:46:28 pm
Listened to Matt Jones show this afternoon. Not real good but they do talk about the Razorbacks. But, who calls in? None other than Tommy Smith! Can't get away from him.

Matt has only been doing radio for a few weeks, he will get much better.  He has an identifiable, easy to understand voice and he's someone we know.  As long as he works on his flow and builds his knowledge base (quickly), he will do good.

NaturalStateReb

One thing that I wish that radio (and the Democrat, too, for that matter) would do more of is putting Arkansas stories into context.  Razorback stories don't happen in a vacuum.  How does what's happening on the Hill alter the chemistry in the rest of the SEC?  How does what's happening at other SEC schools alter things for the Razorbacks? 

It's hard to figure out what a story means when you don't really have any larger picture to fit it in.  Sometimes the focus is so local that we don't get a conference-wide view of what's going on and how the local story is affected.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

whiskeyNwater2.0

Quote from: Wildhog on February 25, 2013, 02:16:28 pm
Overtime is an abomination, but I appreciate a Razorback related show.  The thing that pisses me off here is that they ran off Bo in that time slot, whose show is infinitely better. 

Bo wasn't ran off. Bo surprised everyone at the Buzz when he told them he was leaving. Nothing against Bo or anything. He left so he could be on during prime time which is when everyone is the 4-7 slot when everyone is getting off work.

I don't understand why people keep saying Bo was ran off when the Buzz wanted him to stay.

OldCoot

Quote from: whiskeyNwater2.0 on February 26, 2013, 07:15:19 pm

Bo wasn't ran off. Bo surprised everyone at the Buzz when he told them he was leaving. Nothing against Bo or anything. He left so he could be on during prime time which is when everyone is the 4-7 slot when everyone is getting off work.

I don't understand why people keep saying Bo was ran off when the Buzz wanted him to stay.

I believe you.  I don't think it was in Bo's best interest to do that at this time in his career.  In fact it could have kept him from being bigtime.

Wildhog

Quote from: whiskeyNwater2.0 on February 26, 2013, 07:15:19 pm

Why 93.3?  I believe you, but it just doesn't make a lot of sense.  Seemed like he had a good thing going at the Buzz.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

MBA Hog

Quote from: Wildhog on February 27, 2013, 09:57:52 am
Why 93.3?  I believe you, but it just doesn't make a lot of sense.  Seemed like he had a good thing going at the Buzz.

Because he could air his entire program.  He was on 1-4 in LR, and 2-6 in NWA.  This allowed his program to go statewide from 2-6, and probably have more say in what is programmed around him.

aaronpjones21

Quote from: MBA Hog on February 27, 2013, 11:13:34 am
Because he could air his entire program.  He was on 1-4 in LR, and 2-6 in NWA.  This allowed his program to go statewide from 2-6, and probably have more say in what is programmed around him.

Bo being off of 103.7 isn't a huge deal to him. Yes, it's a big station with a strong signal but he is on a lot of affiliates throughout the state. 93.3 LR, 96.3 Mena/Ft.Smith, 104.3 Harrison/Mtn. Home and lots of others I'm failing to mention. I'm not sure if you can 100%, but you can get Bo pretty much anywhere in the state.

LZH

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on February 26, 2013, 12:35:11 amI don't really have a reason, anymore than other people have a reason for not liking Acri.

I like Acri OK.  I have a relative that works for the LRCVB that knows him a little and she thinks he's a hoot.  It's just that I think he dogpaddles thru the show most of the time, and without Bradley it's flat as a pancake.  That, and the content is a mix of the E Channel and one big infomercial.

Chic-Hog-Oh

I think many people understand that.  It's the fact that the Show with No Name ISN'T Razorback related.  It's not related to anything.  It's terrible.  It's just a bunch of washed up hacks jerkin' each other off for a few hours. 

The Zone is okay I guess.  I think Acri is good at what he does.

Overtime is an abomination, but I appreciate a Razorback related show.  The thing that pisses me off here is that they ran off Bo in that time slot, whose show is infinitely better. 

And then there's Drive Time...  Randy Rainwater apparently does absolutely ZERO research before any show, ever.  He can't pronounce names.  He doesn't know schit about current events on the hill.  Anytime a question is asked, the answer is almost invariably, "I'm gonna write that down and ask Trey Biddy."  Can we get a more knowledgeable host? 

It's just bad radio, and it could be better.  I'm not lowering my expectations based on other states.  We've got a good foundation for local sports radio, but it seems they don't do a whole lot of work to improve it.  THAT's what bothers me.

True, but remember Mike Irwin's explanation for the low level of quality in the hosts/content:  Most of them receive very little pay. Some get NONE. Some are only doing it to promote a website or other media outlet. Or doing it for other non-financial reasons. That being the case, what person in their right mind would spend 2-3 hours each day prepping, when the show(s) themselves take up 2-4 hours of their time already, and they also have to make a living/feed their family?

Hawg Balling

I think many people understand that.  It's the fact that the Show with No Name ISN'T Razorback related.  It's not related to anything.  It's terrible.  It's just a bunch of washed up hacks jerkin' each other off for a few hours. 

The Zone is okay I guess.  I think Acri is good at what he does.

And then there's Drive Time...  Randy Rainwater apparently does absolutely ZERO research before any show, ever.  He can't pronounce names.  He doesn't know schit about current events on the hill.  Anytime a question is asked, the answer is almost invariably, "I'm gonna write that down and ask Trey Biddy."  Can we get a more knowledgeable host? 

It's just bad radio, and it could be better.  I'm not lowering my expectations based on other states.  We've got a good foundation for local sports radio, but it seems they don't do a whole lot of work to improve it.  THAT's what bothers me.

Agreed, especially with your last paragraph.  I honestly think the foundation and demand is there statewide for Razorback sports talk, but we're really just getting bits and pieces.  My problem with 103.7 is that it's marketed as a sports station, but it's turned into a weird mixture of entertainment and sports talk.  The Buzz is essentially the Pittsburgh Pirates pre-2011 in that the owners didn't care about turning a good product and your options are limited – it's almost as if The Buzz understands it has the monopoly on local sports talk and that they don't particularly care if you dislike programming. 

I agree with your sentiments on all the shows, though I find the Zone to be insufferable and pretty much unlistenable.  Acri strikes me as someone who's good on the radio, but he's much better suited general radio and not the sports talk genre, especially if he wants to talk entertainment and pop culture on a daily basis.  People tuning in during lunch, especially in this state, don't particularly care about Lindsay Lohan's latest arrest or celebrity birthdays or the Oscars. 

TSWNN is like when you walk out of a movie aren't really sure whether it was a chick-flick, comedy, rom-com, drama, or action movie, but you know that you didn't really like it. 

Agreed about Drivetime – I understand the call-driven angle, especially given that it's during rush hour(s), but they have to get people on there who understand what they're talking about.  Aside from Biddy, the only person (love him or hate him) who brings anything to that show in terms of knowledge is Rick Schaeffer.  Marcus Elliott and Rainwater are empty headsets. 

The Buzz is like a mom and pop software company that isn't going anywhere because there's no vision or aspiration, but it could be the next Microsoft if sold to the right person.

FATHAWG08

Trey is the worst Radio personality in the business. He's boring as hell. The guy sounds like he talking out of his nose. He's the worst but that's my opinion. Bradley was funny, you never knew what he would say. Very entertaining.!! Trey vs. Bo is no contest.
I love off season Football!!

The NewEra

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on February 25, 2013, 08:25:50 pm

I have, and not meaning to offend you (just giving listener feedback) your show is not very good.  You really don't have a voice made for radio and you do oppinionated things like trounce on Jeff Long then have to come on here to post a thread asking for forgiveness.

You are obviously a very passionate fan and do a great job of updating on spring and fall practices.  I wish you well, but don't think it's going to be as a voice on the radio.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Chic-Hog-Oh on February 27, 2013, 01:18:31 pm
True, but remember Mike Irwin's explanation for the low level of quality in the hosts/content:  Most of them receive very little pay. Some get NONE. Some are only doing it to promote a website or other media outlet. Or doing it for other non-financial reasons. That being the case, what person in their right mind would spend 2-3 hours each day prepping, when the show(s) themselves take up 2-4 hours of their time already, and they also have to make a living/feed their family?
Let me clarify. There are some hosts who make decent money but for the most part you need to sell your own show to do it. Rainwater makes a bundle. Bo is getting there.

jcharkansas

Quote from: Mike Irwin on February 27, 2013, 04:57:57 pm
Let me clarify. There are some hosts who make decent money but for the most part you need to sell your own show to do it. Rainwater makes a bundle. Bo is getting there.
Hey mike are you on game on also? Most times that I get to listen you are on there so I was just curious if it was permanent or just sometimes.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: jcharkansas on February 27, 2013, 05:15:39 pm
Hey mike are you on game on also? Most times that I get to listen you are on there so I was just curious if it was permanent or just sometimes.

Permanent, 12 to 1pm M-F. 

It's a good time for me. Don't have to wake up before the roosters. Don't have to stop in the middle of the afternoon during my TV job and do some radio.

OldCoot

February 27, 2013, 06:44:24 pm #220 Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 07:06:38 pm by Hogbeaver
Quote from: MBA Hog on February 27, 2013, 11:13:34 am

While actual reach and number of listeners decreased DRASTICALLY.  Would you rather have a show on KATV, just a half hour a day or a show on PBS for 2-3 hours?

I actually think Trey's voice is pretty good for radio.  A little work and he will do well too.  I know the pay for tv is crazy low.  Some of the people you see on TV don't make 35K a year.  I wonder how much a top DJ like Tommy Smith or Bob Robbins makes?  70K?  Can't be much more can it?

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: #1PetrinoFan on February 27, 2013, 02:01:06 pm
I have, and not meaning to offend you (just giving listener feedback) your show is not very good.  You really don't have a voice made for radio and you do oppinionated things like trounce on Jeff Long then have to come on here to post a thread asking for forgiveness.

You are obviously a very passionate fan and do a great job of updating on spring and fall practices.  I wish you well, but don't think it's going to be as a voice on the radio.

Nah, it is cool man.  I appreciate your opinion.  Fully admit my show isn't for everyone.  Seems that a lot do like it though and I sure am having fun.
Retired Radio Host

bigstyx

Quote from: Mike Irwin on February 27, 2013, 05:38:49 pm

Permanent, 12 to 1pm M-F. 

It's a good time for me. Don't have to wake up before the roosters. Don't have to stop in the middle of the afternoon during my TV job and do some radio.
Sorry Mike, but I have to chuckle. If I know one thing about radio, it is that nothing is permanent.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: bigstyx on March 01, 2013, 04:42:35 am
Sorry Mike, but I have to chuckle. If I know one thing about radio, it is that nothing is permanent.
I was referring to the fact that I'm not a guest on the show. I'm on every day that the show airs.

OldCoot

Quote from: AdriAnn on March 02, 2013, 10:40:54 am
I don't listen to the Buzz, by choice.

Half of them are DUI offenders (who could give a cr@p less who they may kill on the road), and a drug offender that hits and runs and definitely did/does not care who he hurt, and then the station allows his "I'm sorry I was sick" BS to stand.

Lindy is about to get swallowed in the muck she has allowed to remain in her cesspool.

Don't get it wrong, some of the guys are good folks.  David is straight up, Randy and Marcus are good folks.  Rick is a brown nose, but he is alright.  Roger was one of the few good guys and they got rid of him.  Shotty management in the first degree.

[attachment deleted by admin]

presidenthog

Quote from: AdriAnn on March 02, 2013, 10:40:54 am
I don't listen to the Buzz, by choice.

Half of them are DUI offenders (who could give a cr@p less who they may kill on the road), and a drug offender that hits and runs and definitely did/does not care who he hurt, and then the station allows his "I'm sorry I was sick" BS to stand.

Lindy is about to get swallowed in the muck she has allowed to remain in her cesspool.

Don't get it wrong, some of the guys are good folks.  David is straight up, Randy and Marcus are good folks.  Rick is a brown nose, but he is alright.  Roger was one of the few good guys and they got rid of him.  Shotty management in the first degree.
Alcoholism and drug addiction isn't something someone chooses. But a slow creeping demon that enters your life and is impossible to see while its happening until its too late. I agree that its bad how they let him back on but I also see the kind heartedness of the act and you can't imagine how amazing it is for someone to not kick a man while he is down. But I must say tommy could have got a better drug than xanax to be addicted to... lol

OldCoot

Quote from: presidenthog on March 03, 2013, 01:02:13 am
Alcoholism and drug addiction isn't something someone chooses. But a slow creeping demon that enters your life and is impossible to see while its happening until its too late. I agree that its bad how they let him back on but I also see the kind heartedness of the act and you can't imagine how amazing it is for someone to not kick a man while he is down. But I must say tommy could have got a better drug than xanax to be addicted to... lol

He wasn't addicted to xanax.  My best guess is that he was a hard-core alcoholic who was using xanax to try and control the withdrawals.  Alcohol withdrawals (DT's) can kill you quicker than just about any other type of drug, especially trying to do it cold turkey.

I hear that benzos are one of the toughest to get off as far as misery from withdrawal.  I'm not sure if it is fatal though.

For me the toughest thing to ever kick is nicotine.  The withdrawals from nicotine coupled with easy and cheap access to the thing that prevents the withdrawals makes it a beotch to stop.

Wildhog

Benzo withdrawals are horrific.  Been there.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

presidenthog

Quote from: Hogbeaver on March 03, 2013, 09:52:11 am
He wasn't addicted to xanax.  My best guess is that he was a hard-core alcoholic who was using xanax to try and control the withdrawals.  Alcohol withdrawals (DT's) can kill you quicker than just about any other type of drug, especially trying to do it cold turkey.

I hear that benzos are one of the toughest to get off as far as misery from withdrawal.  I'm not sure if it is fatal though.

For me the toughest thing to ever kick is nicotine.  The withdrawals from nicotine coupled with easy and cheap access to the thing that prevents the withdrawals makes it a beotch to stop.
Xanax affects the brain quite the same as alcohol. The only other withdrawals I know to be worse on you besides xanax. Is opiates. I've been down that dark path so I know personally.

OldCoot

Quote from: presidenthog on March 03, 2013, 01:26:04 pm
Xanax affects the brain quite the same as alcohol. The only other withdrawals I know to be worse on you besides xanax. Is opiates. I've been down that dark path so I know personally.

I know we are straying but I do have some advice if someone is fighting the opiate dragon.

Modern substance abuse care can completely eradicate the problems that opiate dependency causes.  No more withdrawals and a new life where you aren't chained by when your next "dose" is.

If someone is really interested in getting better and off opiates with NO withdrawals, send me an IM and I will point you the way.  The only caveats are they must be truly done with the pills and they must be willing to visit a shrink once a week at least for the first three months.  This is also done in a way that your insurance "profile" will never have this information noted in your medical records.  (Insurance not accepted).  Many medical professionals  and executives who don't desire a paper trail mandated this.

I've been there and I can show you what worked for me.  I promise if you do what you are supposed to do, it will work for you too. 

Sorry for the evangelical spiel. :D

Sivad

On his dope, off his dope; drunk or sober; Tommy Smith just isn't funny anymore. Actually he's boring and dull.