Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Finally! A trip out west...

Started by Hankweb, October 01, 2013, 04:51:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hankweb

But a short one.
Leaving Friday and headed out west to visit and make several stops for a look at possible business opportunities.
LIT to SAF (Santa Fe) on Friday with a likely fuel stop near or at BGD (Hucthison County/Borger) or DUX (Dumas) which would make a first leg of around 460 miles and a second of about 230 into SAF at about 6350 ft. Flight time typically just over 4 hours with a light headwind plus fuel stop time.
On Saturday I'll make a quick hop up the wide Rio Grande valley just off to the west of Taos (SKX) with some beautiful 10,000+ footers to west and east and land at Monte Vista(MVI) just West of Alamosa (ALS) at 7600+ feet.
After just a couple of hours there and in Alamosa head west for a great flight over and through the mountains from MVI into my buddy's 5500 ft grass strip about 15 miles west of Durango (DRO) near Mancos CO at an elevation of about 7800 ft. He has the most beautiful hangar I've ever seen that accommodates his gliders, T206, and 1 sometimes 2 guest planes (he keeps his cabin class twin at the airport and owns and leases Caravans to FEDEX and others for a living....and yes, I want to grow up to be him!). All of these looking out through the massive glass hangar doors toward Mesa Verde and the mountains! This leg is between 95 and 120 miles or so depending on whether you choose Wolf Creek pass at 10,870 ft , the Southern pass right at 10,000 (unnamed but basically follow the road over Summitville at 10,000 and down into Pagosa (PSO) navigating multiple 12500-13,300 peaks) but which is in a bit tighter confines and a bit more maneuvering. The winds will determine which one. Flight time will be under an hour.
Sunday morning an early start and head up to MTJ (Montrose) via TEX (Telluride). A spectacular trip which will go up through Lizard Head pass just east of two 14,000+ ft peaks, over TEX (9070 ft) and just west of another 14er and into MTJ. Mancos to TEX is under 50 miles and then about another 35 to MTJ (about 5800) with a total flight time of 45-50 minutes accounting for sightseeing, oogling, and meandering.
My departure from MTJ back to Santa Fe will take me due east over Gunnison and then roughly South over Crede, near PSO and on into Santa Fe after about 220+ miles and an hour and 20 or 30 minutes.
Monday gets an early start back to LIT, 682 nm and with the typical winds 3 hours and 45 or 50 minutes or slightly less with just about 12 gallons to spare and back in the office no later than 10:30. GA is fantastic isn't it?!
Should be a blast!

gotyacovered

Wow... Jealous.

Likely to far south but this may be worth a look: http://redbirdskyport.com/

KHYI has $1 100LL
You are what you tolerate.

GusMcRae

It ain't dieing I'm talking about Woodrow,,,, It's living!

Being a pilot isn't all seat-of-the-pants flying and glory. It's self- discipline, practice, study, analysis and preparation. It's precision. If you can't keep the gauges where you want them with everything free and easy, how can you keep them there when everything goes wrong?

Hankweb

Quote from: gotyacovered on October 01, 2013, 09:28:07 pm
Wow... Jealous.

Likely to far south but this may be worth a look: http://redbirdskyport.com/

KHYI has $1 100LL

I saw an article about that...and that they had to put in some parameters because people were coming in and essentially tanking out huge amounts of fuel!
I do run all my cross country routes through AirNav though and also check local prices around destinations. If can save 70-100+ dollars on a fill up at a stop that doesn't increase my trip distance it's a no brainer for me.
A36 Gus.