Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Break the September silence

Started by GusMcRae, September 05, 2013, 01:30:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

GusMcRae

I can't believe it's been so dead around here. 
So, I'll try to get the conversation stirred up in here a bit.

Flew the C-150 today, first time it's been flown in several months. 
Dirt dobber's nest in the left air vent. 
I checked the fuel sumps, but it ran a little funny for the first few minutes in the air.  Was about to just go around the pattern and come right back down, but then it started running smooth. 

So, just a reminder to fly like they vote in Florida,,, early and often.  Early because it's so freakin hot, and often because that just what we need to do. 
Don't let those birds sit around idle. 
It ain't dieing I'm talking about Woodrow,,,, It's living!

Being a pilot isn't all seat-of-the-pants flying and glory. It's self- discipline, practice, study, analysis and preparation. It's precision. If you can't keep the gauges where you want them with everything free and easy, how can you keep them there when everything goes wrong?

Pistol Pete

I've been wearing mine out! went from SUZ to El Dorado AR F43 yesterday evening, then CDH, AGO, and back to F43... Flew back from F43 last night at about 9:30. It was absolutely beautiful! Cool, smooth, clear, engine running strong... seemed like a tail wind every direction I went.

Been to Gastons a couple times the last few weeks, Gurdon, 5M8, a few times (keep a car there, close to our farm).

Guessing 15 hours in 2 weeks, maybe 20. I'm loving it!

GusMcRae

"Been to Gastons a couple times the last few weeks"

I need the scoop on Gaston's.  I've been wanting to take my wife there for a fishing weekend.  Use their guide or line up someone else?  Is it standard to have 2 + the guide, or do some take 3 fishermen?  Any recommendations for guides?

It's a little less than a 3 hour flight from my home base.

You have been wearing it out.  Good for you PP.
It ain't dieing I'm talking about Woodrow,,,, It's living!

Being a pilot isn't all seat-of-the-pants flying and glory. It's self- discipline, practice, study, analysis and preparation. It's precision. If you can't keep the gauges where you want them with everything free and easy, how can you keep them there when everything goes wrong?

Matt Mustain

Honestly, I don't think you need a guide. There's a lot of great fishing to be had on the White. Just go find a mom and pop bait store, get the low down from the old man at the counter on what the fish are biting on, and go enjoy the day. If they're not generating a lot you can either wade or rent a canoe. If they are generating quiet a bit you can rent a riverboat.

As for Gaston's itself, I love flying in there. Just don't do it when the sun is setting low on the horizon... I've flown in before when it was and could see just enough to get me on the ground safely. Two Kodiak's w/floats were behind me and ended up circling until the sun went below the horizon since they'd never been in there.

RNC

Busy busy, did get a run in around the Buffalo River to take some friends picture'ing about a week ago, otherwise I've been doing just that, sitting idle.

As soon as my house is sold I'm almost convinced about going ahead and selling my bird and upgrading to a Commander 114, gonna have to check with gotya about insurance, though.  They're just too much airplane for too little money for me to keep passing up on them.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: Pistol Pete on September 05, 2013, 03:01:26 pm
I've been wearing mine out! went from SUZ to El Dorado AR F43 yesterday evening, then CDH, AGO, and back to F43... Flew back from F43 last night at about 9:30. It was absolutely beautiful! Cool, smooth, clear, engine running strong... seemed like a tail wind every direction I went.

Been to Gastons a couple times the last few weeks, Gurdon, 5M8, a few times (keep a car there, close to our farm).

Guessing 15 hours in 2 weeks, maybe 20. I'm loving it!

Just rent a boat and if you're a spin fisherman using bait just fish the shoals, if they're generating strong run up above the head of the shoals, cut the engine and drift down over them with enough split shot to get it down close to the bottom.

You don't need a guide on White River, it's filthy with fish.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Pistol Pete

Quote from: GusMcRae on September 06, 2013, 08:21:33 am
"Been to Gastons a couple times the last few weeks"

I need the scoop on Gaston's.  I've been wanting to take my wife there for a fishing weekend.  Use their guide or line up someone else?  Is it standard to have 2 + the guide, or do some take 3 fishermen?  Any recommendations for guides?

It's a little less than a 3 hour flight from my home base.

You have been wearing it out.  Good for you PP.

I couldn't tell you much about the fishing... I can tell you about the food and service, it's mediocre at best. The setting is very nice!!! The restaurant has a full glass wall overlooking the river, maybe 100 feet down. Lot's of antique bicycles and outboards hanging from the ceiling. A+ for scenery, C- for food and service.

The landing strip is an attention getter. Winds are erratic, flying between trees gives you the feeling you're going 150 mph. Not bad at all if you're expecting it... runway is a little rough.
Taking off is different, seems like the airplane never wants to get to rotate speed. I'd recommend short/soft field take off procedure. Plenty of room after airborne to gain altitude, if density altitude/weight aren't bad.

gotyacovered

I've had about 3 hours since 9/1... And 6 the weekend before.

Really got to see how awesome GA can be, took my wife and her sister to see their other preggo sister... Dropped them off Friday and picked em up Sunday... M18-suz-kcca-m18, repeat Sunday.

Then, last weekend, flew up to hot springs, just 'cause... And my mom (recovering from back surgery) felt something pop, dad called an ambulance. I hitched a ride to the airport, departed hot spring and was in the spring hill baptist emergency room (assisted by a loaner car) from kork within an hour of the call. Turns out she popped an internal stitch or something, false alarm--all hardware was intact.
You are what you tolerate.