Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cirrus chute deployed - Texarkana

Started by gotyacovered, August 19, 2013, 09:23:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

gotyacovered

be interesting to see what happened. wonder when he pulled the chute...? looks like the engine was still possibly running--i wouldn't think airflow (with the chute deployed) would make the prop turn... but i dont really know.

http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2013/08/cirrus-sr22-n21he-accident-occurred.html
You are what you tolerate.

GusMcRae

For me, I think that would be a pretty sick feeling to have to deploy the chute. 
It ain't dieing I'm talking about Woodrow,,,, It's living!

Being a pilot isn't all seat-of-the-pants flying and glory. It's self- discipline, practice, study, analysis and preparation. It's precision. If you can't keep the gauges where you want them with everything free and easy, how can you keep them there when everything goes wrong?

gotyacovered

Quote from: GusMcRae on August 19, 2013, 11:24:38 am
For me, I think that would be a pretty sick feeling to have to deploy the chute. 

i think it would be hard, also. there are a lot of room where he landed/crashed. i have heard that it is an instant total of the plane if you deploy the chute. cheap if your life is in danger, though.

this may sound overly critical since we dont know the details :but: he couldnt be that far away from the airport. no idea what the glide ratio is on a cirrus, but he would have to be pretty low to not make the field... just guessing <3000 agl. hard to get a good distance based on this, but you can see the airport south of the red pin (which is not his exact location), cant be to far... the other piece of critical info missing if he was arriving/departing. makes all the difference in the world.

i just hope he didnt run out of go juice.

GusMcRae

Quote from: gotyacovered on August 19, 2013, 12:03:31 pm
i think it would be hard, also. there are a lot of room where he landed/crashed. i have heard that it is an instant total of the plane if you deploy the chute. cheap if your life is in danger, though.

this may sound overly critical since we dont know the details :but: he couldnt be that far away from the airport. no idea what the glide ratio is on a cirrus, but he would have to be pretty low to not make the field... just guessing <3000 agl. hard to get a good distance based on this, but you can see the airport south of the red pin (which is not his exact location), cant be to far... the other piece of critical info missing if he was arriving/departing. makes all the difference in the world.

i just hope he didnt run out of go juice.

I'm probably sharing a lot of the same thoughts you are.  Hard to say what one would do if put into that situation, but from my "ouside looking in" view, I think I would try to put my engine out training to use, attain optimum glide speed, find an open grass field and land. 
But isn't there something with a Sirrus in regard to that, and that's the reason for the chute to begin with?

Being a pilot isn't all seat-of-the-pants flying and glory. It's self- discipline, practice, study, analysis and preparation. It's precision. If you can't keep the gauges where you want them with everything free and easy, how can you keep them there when everything goes wrong?

RNC

I thought the chute was a marketing gimmick, didn't know that it had any purpose for existing other than that.

bvillepig

I belong to the Cirrus Owners group. They have a very active and vocal group and there is a lot of info for any pilot. They anylyze every incident and accident with the plane. The Avidyne system captures a lot of data and that data is given to a member of the group after the NTSB finishes their part.

There have been 37 successful deployments that saved 74 lives. So far when the chute has been deployed withen the parameters of operation Altitude and speed  there have been 0 fatalities
Here is a brief report on the the repairs

There is no doubt this plane will fly again. The question is: Will the insurance company repair it and return it to the owner? Not sure if this has ever been the case. Rick?

9 Cirrus airplanes were repaired and flew again after a CAPS event.

Most owners seemed willing to take the settlement and buy a new plane. Some were repaired and returned to owner:

C-GEMC (CAPS save #2) was repaired by the owner (we believe it was self-insured)

N931CD (CAPS save #4) was repaired, returned to owner, who sold it to a friend

PP-CIE (CAPS save #27) was repaired and I believe returned to Cirrus Brazil

Pistol Pete

Gotya, I hate to say it, but the moment my airplane has an issue... it belongs to the insurance company.
Obviously, the best way to insure MY safety is to land the airplane safely and damage free. The parachute on a Cirrus has probably caused a lot of deployments without real need. I know they say to pull the parachute immediately if you encounter a spin, even though they can be recovered from a spin using the instructed techniques... that's what a Cirrus salesman told me.

GusMcRae

Quote from: Pistol Pete on August 22, 2013, 08:36:33 pm
I know they say to pull the parachute immediately if you encounter a spin, even though they can be recovered from a spin using the instructed techniques... that's what a Cirrus salesman told me.

This is what I remember reading, something about the difficulty in recovering from a spin was a major factor, or "the reason" in equipping them with a chute.

gotyacovered

Gotya, I hate to say it, but the moment my airplane has an issue... it belongs to the insurance company.
Obviously, the best way to insure MY safety is to land the airplane safely and damage free. The parachute on a Cirrus has probably caused a lot of deployments without real need. I know they say to pull the parachute immediately if you encounter a spin, even though they can be recovered from a spin using the instructed techniques... that's what a Cirrus salesman told me.

If one is paying for hull insurance then saving the airplane should be the last thing on your mind. That is why I buy it so I can focus on saving myself.

peace of mind, my brothers.

one caveaut... its shared risk, not free access to deep pockets! ;D in other words, if you have 10's of minutes (and altitude) save as much as you can... if you have seconds... or even mins... there is only one concern.

gotyacovered

Quote from: GusMcRae on August 23, 2013, 08:12:36 am
This is what I remember reading, something about the difficulty in recovering from a spin was a major factor, or "the reason" in equipping them with a chute.

they have a highly loaded wing, spin recovery is ok, from what i understand, you just need to know what you are doing, cause that sucka falls outta the sky, quick. its a slick airplane. the are known not land off field well... i am sure all of these are factors in equipping with a chute.

its pretty plain a simple really... i believe with all my heart if the pilot in this case is in a Cessna 1xx/2xx variety airplane, he lands off field with the same result--no injuries. and very likely a lot less damage to the aircraft.

in his shoes, in a cirri--im pulling the chute.

Pistol Pete

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmYT1UssVss&list=UUFqxwP5I1WUWzvGRBdClstA

I see the light now... if you have a few minutes to listen to a 3,000 plus hour Cirrus pilot discuss the CAPS, it's interesting. Gave me a new perspective on it.

FaytownHog

As long as you're over a field and not some houses right? Would suck to bail early on a plane just to put it through a roof and kill some innocent family. A lot to think about up there. A lot of responsibility.

bvillepig

I have belonged to the Cirrus owners group for years and they are very active with a wealth of info . Not only for Cirrus but for all ov aviation.

That's where I found That Champion has been having all kinds of Qc problems.

I have a good friends who has well over 10000 hours in a lot of aircraft . He got rid of his 340 a few years ago and I talked him into doing a demo . He bought in and now has over 3000 hrs on the Cirrus . He flies all over the east northeast and some out west .a lot at night over the Smokies . The chute and the economy of the single engine sold him.

Pistol Pete

Quote from: bvillepig on October 01, 2013, 11:21:45 pm
I have belonged to the Cirrus owners group for years and they are very active with a wealth of info . Not only for Cirrus but for all ov aviation.

That's where I found That Champion has been having all kinds of Qc problems.

I have a good friends who has well over 10000 hours in a lot of aircraft . He got rid of his 340 a few years ago and I talked him into doing a demo . He bought in and now has over 3000 hrs on the Cirrus . He flies all over the east northeast and some out west .a lot at night over the Smokies . The chute and the economy of the single engine sold him.

Do you own a Cirrus?
I know you have a 'toga... I looked at your flight times on that thread, I see you've flown a Cirrus. You seem to like them???

gotyacovered

Quote from: Pistol Pete on October 01, 2013, 11:39:50 pm
Do you own a Cirrus?
I know you have a 'toga... I looked at your flight times on that thread, I see you've flown a Cirrus. You seem to like them???

He owns a Saratoga, an awesome one at that. He would've bought a Cirrus had his family not grown... grandkids. Or that's my impression anyways.;D

bvillepig

Quote from: gotyacovered on October 02, 2013, 01:59:53 pm
He owns a Saratoga, an awesome one at that. He would've bought a Cirrus had his family not grown... grandkids. Or that's my impression anyways.;D
I don't own a Cirrus but do have a few hours in one  it is a very good airplane  lol but most are . The Cirrus feels like a sports car compared to my toga
SUV. It climbs way better than the Toga and cruise is about 175 to 180 on the normaly aspirated engine. Cabin is very big and the view is ver good. Cirrus hired some engineers from Mercedes to design the seats and interior