Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avionics/Electrical Questions

Started by MDH, November 01, 2012, 05:47:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

gotyacovered

Quote from: gotyacovered on February 27, 2013, 04:25:56 pm
MDH - i ran a friend to get some work done on his autopilot and while we were waiting i was looking around the shop and poked my head into a nice saratoga that was getting a 750 installed... they were replacing a 530W that was only installed 18-24 months ago-new. a conversation sparked up with the shop owner and he said that he was going to buy the 530W from the owner and try to sell it. got my wheels turning and he ended up looking in my plane and quoted me the following:

move kx-175b com/nav #1 and drop down in #2 nav/com slot, as well as drop the VOR head with GS down
remove nav/com #2, vor #2
remove loran
remove adf and all accompanying equipment
remove DME
remove a boomerang antennae and replace
remove old sigtronics intercom

install 530w
install new head with GS
install new intercom--cant remember which one, i think was about $1200

$15,200 including everything but tax.

thoughts?

so i talked to the shop owner again yesterday and he was wanting to know what we decided on this (i am still dragging my feet...) and he said he had another guy that was wanting it. he gave me a couple more days, but he said something that got my attention. he mentioned that i could get a GTn650 installed for the same money.

with sacrificing some screen real estate being the only negative i can think of, wouldnt that be a 'no brainer' ??? ;D
You are what you tolerate.

GusMcRae

Quote from: gotyacovered on March 13, 2013, 09:50:08 am
so i talked to the shop owner again yesterday and he was wanting to know what we decided on this (i am still dragging my feet...) and he said he had another guy that was wanting it. he gave me a couple more days, but he said something that got my attention. he mentioned that i could get a GTn650 installed for the same money.

with sacrificing some screen real estate being the only negative i can think of, wouldnt that be a 'no brainer' ??? ;D

I think MDH is MIA. 

My only thought is,, if you are definitely going to do one or the other, I would go with the more modern 650.
Not exactly sure what the price tag is on it or the 530W, but I kinda know what they cost, and I don't think your quote is out of line. 
What I would think about is, if you're going to upgrade your plane (trade planes) in the not too distant future, how much of this upgrade expense can you re-coupe when you sell?   
It ain't dieing I'm talking about Woodrow,,,, It's living!

Being a pilot isn't all seat-of-the-pants flying and glory. It's self- discipline, practice, study, analysis and preparation. It's precision. If you can't keep the gauges where you want them with everything free and easy, how can you keep them there when everything goes wrong?

gotyacovered

Quote from: GusMcRae on March 13, 2013, 11:15:22 am
I think MDH is MIA. 

My only thought is,, if you are definitely going to do one or the other, I would go with the more modern 650.
Not exactly sure what the price tag is on it or the 530W, but I kinda know what they cost, and I don't think your quote is out of line. 
What I would think about is, if you're going to upgrade your plane (trade planes) in the not too distant future, how much of this upgrade expense can you re-coupe when you sell?   

ive doen some research since posting... Pixel wise the GTN650 is 600x266, the 530 is 320x234, so you have a bigger screen showing you less on the 530.

i was told, not sure how reliable this is, but that a $15k 530WAAS upgrade will return $10k if it was sold the next day. the discussion didnt have about the 650, but i would imagine the ROI would be a little better.

he also noted it is abundantly more attractive from an acquisition standpoint. i am going to get him to give me an official number on the 650 to verify the cost is as equal as claimed.

i really wish MDH was around to provide input. on a new install i would prefer NOT to use the avionics shop that offered the 530...

rnclittlerock

I do know that EOL was declared on the 530 as of November last year.

So while they'll still support them they're not selling them anymore.

GusMcRae

Sent my DG off to Aircraft Quality Instruments in Wichita, KS on Monday.  Got a call from them today, it's fixed and they're shipping it back to me today, should be here Monday.  $425 to overhaul.  Not sure what the guy is charging me to take out/put back in, but think it will be about $150. 

Being a pilot isn't all seat-of-the-pants flying and glory. It's self- discipline, practice, study, analysis and preparation. It's precision. If you can't keep the gauges where you want them with everything free and easy, how can you keep them there when everything goes wrong?

GusMcRae

Quote from: GusMcRae on March 15, 2013, 12:15:46 pm
Sent my DG off to Aircraft Quality Instruments in Wichita, KS on Monday.  Got a call from them today, it's fixed and they're shipping it back to me today, should be here Monday.  $425 to overhaul.  Not sure what the guy is charging me to take out/put back in, but think it will be about $150.

The guy only charged me $50 to take out/put back in, which seemed crazy cheap.  So, I'm back in business. 

Pistol Pete

Quote from: GusMcRae on March 20, 2013, 02:55:57 pm
The guy only charged me $50 to take out/put back in, which seemed crazy cheap.  So, I'm back in business. 
I had my DG overhauled at Hot Springs, forgot the name of the place. Had my plane at the A&P for other work, he pulled it out, walked it over to the repair shop. Seems like it was $400 or so for the overhaul.

gotyacovered

Quote from: GusMcRae on March 20, 2013, 02:55:57 pm

Winner!!!

Pistol Pete

March 23, 2013, 07:25:07 pm #58 Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 04:55:01 pm by gotyacovered
Showing my total ignorance here, but I have a question about autopilots...
I've been looking at Cirrus airplanes, autopilots, and ILS landings. There are several videos on youtube that show the autopilot capturing the ILS both horizontally and vertically. Most of these videos show all the info on a glass panel.
What is the minimum autopilot and avionics needed to fly the airplane on course, and on glideslope for an ILS approach?

gotyacovered

"needed"... good question, i guess the most basic 3 axis slaved will do it for any precision approach... you WANT one (AP) with altitude hold fashizzle. its awesome...

for the record.... CAT 1, 2 and 3 they go to 200/100/0 feet (i think) and if runway (or approach lights) are in sight and the minimum RVR standards are met... you land the plane. i think with CAT 3, theoretically, a plane can land with zero rvr/viz but getting cleared for that i am sure never will happen but in the utmost emergencies, just a guess. either way those CAT approaches are for the jetzzzz, and the have autoland.... this will be a good thread if some of the pros chime in (just dont make me look stupid... i am still an instrument student;D)

anything in a single GA aircraft i believe you will take it off autopilot when runway is in sight/final; or you will execute the missed (MAP)...with same auto pilot ;D.

i dont have to worry about it since i have no autopilot;D that is for the fancy pilots like bvillepig;D

Pistol Pete

I'm certainly looking for an autopilot to fly down to minimums. Just guessing that anything lower than that would cost BIG $$$,$$$.$$

Really, the info I'm looking for is, can an autopilot be coupled to an HSI, or VOR with a glideslope? What about the Aspen MFD?  But mostly, can it be coupled to a VOR w/glideslope?

bvillepig

Quote from: gotyacovered on March 25, 2013, 04:59:11 pm
"needed"... good question, i guess the most basic 3 axis slaved will do it for any precision approach... you WANT one (AP) with altitude hold fashizzle. its awesome...

for the record.... CAT 1, 2 and 3 they go to 200/100/0 feet (i think) and if runway (or approach lights) are in sight and the minimum RVR standards are met... you land the plane. i think with CAT 3, theoretically, a plane can land with zero rvr/viz but getting cleared for that i am sure never will happen but in the utmost emergencies, just a guess. either way those CAT approaches are for the jetzzzz, and the have autoland.... this will be a good thread if some of the pros chime in (just dont make me look stupid... i am still an instrument student;D)

anything in a single GA aircraft i believe you will take it off autopilot when runway is in sight/final; or you will execute the missed (MAP)...with same auto pilot ;D.

i dont have to worry about it since i have no autopilot;D that is for the fancy pilots like bvillepig;D

Ha Ha gotya     I need to get back to Hope and buy your lunch. 

Cirrus has used the  Stec 55x . It will capture the localizer, glideslope and fly it into the ground on a 3 degree angle.  I believe any 2 axis auto pilot will capture the localizer and fly the glideslope if coupled to an HSI.

gotyacovered

Quote from: bvillepig on March 25, 2013, 08:43:24 pm
Ha Ha gotya     I need to get back to Hope and buy your lunch. 

Cirrus has used the  Stec 55x . It will capture the localizer, glideslope and fly it into the ground on a 3 degree angle.  I believe any 2 axis auto pilot will capture the localizer and fly the glideslope if coupled to an HSI.
Quote from: Pistol Pete on March 25, 2013, 08:40:05 pm
I'm certainly looking for an autopilot to fly down to minimums. Just guessing that anything lower than that would cost BIG $$$,$$$.$$

Really, the info I'm looking for is, can an autopilot be coupled to an HSI, or VOR with a glideslope? What about the Aspen MFD?  But mostly, can it be coupled to a VOR w/glideslope?

Ah... Ya... 2 axis;D

I think we are using diff terminology for the same thing (coupled/slaved)... But not sure. I think AP ops down to DH is pretty much SOP, no?

Anyways... A few weeks ago I flew my first approach in legit IMC... Had a very experienced CFII and trust him almost as much as my dad... anyway, originally we were cleared for the circle to land ILS RWY 36 and a biz jet had some sort of emergency sucking regional app and the tower resources, add in my experience level, one push to talk switch, solid IMC with light precip and the fact we were aggressively vectored to the final approach course requiring nonstandard control inputs... And man, an AP would have been nice. I'll provide more details (mainly weather) when bvillepig buys lunch;D

just as we are able to call the field the controller clears us for 18 we were expecting circle to land RWY 36... i thought he made a mistake and i ask if he wanted us to circle east or west, and he clears me to land (18) AGAIN, so... Naturally ;D I have to ask him, AGAIN if I was cleared for 18 or 36 and he got very impatient with me from that point on. it was crazy. It can get crazy up there. It was a real eye opener for me. I am glad the same CFII let's me ride right seat and run the radios for IFR ops so much, I was able to speak the language with only 1 or 2 "moments".

flightaware link: http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N42653/history/20130205/2045Z/M18/KTKI

gotyacovered

here is a follow up for all who care.

had a chance to swing by the avionics shop and get a formal quote regarding total (including labor) cost of installing a used 530W vs GTN650.

about a 2 year old 530W unit installed in my very outdated 182L+a new intercom, removing my ADF, Loran, NAV/COMM #2, moving NAV/COMM#1 down, remove DME and removing all assocaited equip=$15,200+tax.

brand new GTN650 and several other pieces of required equip, new intercom, removing my ADF, Loran, NAV/COMM #2, moving NAV/COMM#1 down and removing all assocaited equip and panel mounting my 696=$15,900+tax.

between  he 2 quotes i decided not to take out the DME and panel mount the 696, so its not exactly apples to apples, but close.

if anyone is looking for a very nice, very new 530W i know where you can get a good deal on one!

we are going to wait until closer annual, but i am looking/hoping to have some new goods for my summer trips ;D ;D ;D

GusMcRae

That sounds in line with the Avionics shop I use.  Taking off the price of the 650, seeing what's left and the labor involved sounds similar. 
I spent about $2400, which included: to have everything moved down(which you're doing), install an airgizmo panel mount for my Garmin aera 560 at the top (which you're doing with the 496), he had to re-rack everything of mine due to sagging, swapped out transponders with my other plane (which probably only took 5 minutes), installed me a music input plug for my i-pad, made and existing cig lighter hot with an in-line fuse (not for lighting ciggys), new circuit breakers for all avionics, and installed a master avionics switch.
It would have cost me another $1000 to have him clean up the obsolete antennas on the belly, (which it sounds like you're doing). 
All that labor is working in tight places, almost standing on their head at times.
$15,900 doesn't sound bad if you say it real fast....

gotyacovered

Quote from: GusMcRae on March 27, 2013, 03:55:09 pm
That sounds in line with the Avionics shop I use.  Taking off the price of the 650, seeing what's left and the labor involved sounds similar. 
I spent about $2400, which included: to have everything moved down(which you're doing), install an airgizmo panel mount for my Garmin aera 560 at the top (which you're doing with the 496), he had to re-rack everything of mine due to sagging, swapped out transponders with my other plane (which probably only took 5 minutes), installed me a music input plug for my i-pad, made and existing cig lighter hot with an in-line fuse (not for lighting ciggys), new circuit breakers for all avionics, and installed a master avionics switch.
It would have cost me another $1000 to have him clean up the obsolete antennas on the belly, (which it sounds like you're doing). 
All that labor is working in tight places, almost standing on their head at times.
$15,900 doesn't sound bad if you say it real fast....

i say it like this... seventy nine hundred, really fast and it works ;D

($7950 since i have a partner)

gotyacovered

merged PistolPetes's avionics question thread into this one, figure it might be more productive...

no offense intended.

Pistol Pete

Quote from: gotyacovered on March 27, 2013, 05:01:47 pm
merged PistolPetes's avionics question thread into this one, figure it might be more productive...

no offense intended.

No problem Gotya... I think my question is basically answered.
I am wondering, does an autopilot (Stec 55) require a special HSI or ILS/Glideslope indicator to be coupled to?

gotyacovered

Quote from: Pistol Pete on March 27, 2013, 09:27:17 pm
No problem Gotya... I think my question is basically answered.
I am wondering, does an autopilot (Stec 55) require a special HSI or ILS/Glideslope indicator to be coupled to?

Don't think it's required but you need one with flight director (think turn heading bug and autopilot takes turns to that heading/LNAV)... That's when we're were interchanging terms coupled/slaved. same is true with the glodeslope/verticle guidancd/VNAV. I know that's what slaved means... Thats kinda old school... On all the cirrus aircraft I believe it's done through the PFD/MFD (not sure which to be completely honest). Same setup type bvillepig has... Avadyne (sp?) PFD/MFD and a fancy autopilot. It's sweet.

RNC

March 30, 2013, 12:48:52 pm #69 Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 12:59:35 pm by RNC
On that topic consider there's also two basic choices on those most common aftermarket autopilots.

The STEC units fly via the turn coordinator, most Century autopilots for the alternative example are attitude based.

On the one hand the turn coordinator based autopilots are theoretically more reliable, since the underlying data has less points of failure (one electronic instrument), versus two points of failure (vacuum pump and the attitude gyro). 

On the other hand attitude based autopilots will theoretically have less trouble flying in turbulence or otherwise rough conditions, since the instrument and therefore data it is tied to is more accurate (attitude indicator better than turn coordinator).

I have no experience with turn coordinator autopilots personally, the old factory autopilot in mine is attitude based.  I can tell you that my old attitude based autopilot can fly through moderate turbulence better than I can, fwiw.

http://www.midwestflyer.com/?p=2954

gotyacovered

Oh... I was reading up re: 2/3 axis AP's...

2 axis=heading and altitude, but no pitch control... It'll hold altitude, but won't climb/decend with turning a dial/pushing a button...
3 axis=heading and altitude but you can select altitude and it'll climb descend.

I think.

Useless info for the day: G1000 equipped cessnas with the KA140 AP's actually have a turn cooridinator to keep the wings level. its behind the panel (you can't see it)

RNC

March 30, 2013, 04:46:03 pm #71 Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 05:33:05 pm by RNC
3rd axis would be a yaw damper.

1 axis = roll
2 axis = pitch + roll
3 axis = rudder + pitch + roll

What you're talking about is altitude pre-select, which is reserved for higher end systems because lesser systems may or may not have the oomph necessary to hold the altitude itself, just pitch it via the elevator assuming there isn't too much pressure.  Speaking of that...

Honestly, a lot of people spend a lot of money on pitch control systems that aren't really all that (I'm looking at you STEC-30)...

Read the manual on the STEC-30 ALT add on, for instance.  What's the solution if it is too weak to hold the altitude you want?  It beeps at you to trim it yourself.  I can do that for free with my eyeballs and the altimeter, last I checked.  Don't get me wrong if you're gonna fly in IMC all the time I can see the need/want for a complete autopilot that can fly the entire approach including the descent and can trim the plane on its own.

But it's an awful lot of money for not a lot of functionality in the lesser options, imo.  If you're talking about a complete system like the 55x that's another matter.

Yaw dampening is equally dubious in cost/benefit, imo, depending on the aircraft.  How many times in the places you fly to are you getting difficulty in trimming the rudder?  Is it worth the money for a box to do it for you?

From all of my questioning of avionics shops and other people I've flown with or know who fly, the preference seems to be for the Century style attitude based autopilots vs the STECs.  They are also cheaper, so that might be some of it, for what that's worth.

If I were putting in something from scratch, the Century 2000 for 20k looks a lot better deal to me than the 55x for 30k.  I also would consider the 'reliability' factor of the turn coordinator APs vs attitude APs a loaded question of sorts too.  If you're flying IMC loss of attitude indicator is an emergency whether your AP flies by it or not, imo.

Pistol Pete

Quote from: RNC on March 30, 2013, 04:46:03 pm
3rd axis would be a yaw damper.

1 axis = roll
2 axis = pitch + roll
3 axis = rudder + pitch + roll

What you're talking about is altitude pre-select, which is reserved for higher end systems because lesser systems may or may not have the oomph necessary to hold the altitude itself, just pitch it via the elevator assuming there isn't too much pressure.  Speaking of that...

Honestly, a lot of people spend a lot of money on pitch control systems that aren't really all that (I'm looking at you STEC-30)...

Read the manual on the STEC-30 ALT add on, for instance.  What's the solution if it is too weak to hold the altitude you want?  It beeps at you to trim it yourself.  I can do that for free with my eyeballs and the altimeter, last I checked.  Don't get me wrong if you're gonna fly in IMC all the time I can see the need/want for a complete autopilot that can fly the entire approach including the descent and can trim the plane on its own.

But it's an awful lot of money for not a lot of functionality in the lesser options, imo.  If you're talking about a complete system like the 55x that's another matter.

Yaw dampening is equally dubious in cost/benefit, imo, depending on the aircraft.  How many times in the places you fly to are you getting difficulty in trimming the rudder?  Is it worth the money for a box to do it for you?

From all of my questioning of avionics shops and other people I've flown with or know who fly, the preference seems to be for the Century style attitude based autopilots vs the STECs.  They are also cheaper, so that might be some of it, for what that's worth.

If I were putting in something from scratch, the Century 2000 for 20k looks a lot better deal to me than the 55x for 30k.  I also would consider the 'reliability' factor of the turn coordinator APs vs attitude APs a loaded question of sorts too.  If you're flying IMC loss of attitude indicator is an emergency whether your AP flies by it or not, imo.

I brought this question up and gotya merged it into this thread.
My brother and I are looking at selling our 172 in a year or so, and getting a Cirrus SR20. Most come with the Stec 55x, a few come with the Stec 30. I was just wondering if it had to have the full glass panel in order to intercept the glideslope and the ILs. Admittedly, I'm very ignorant of the terminology and technology. I really don't want to purchase a 10-12 year old airplane with a glass panel, I'm afraid it may be close to the end of it's normal service life.
I fly with my buddy in his A36, it has a 3 axis with altitude preselect. He manually turns the yaw dampener off because it slows the plane a couple knots or so. The altitude preselect is the shizzle... absolutely awesome.

gotyacovered

Quote from: Pistol Pete on March 30, 2013, 09:59:50 pm
My brother and I are looking at selling our 172 in a year or so, and getting a Cirrus SR20. Most come with the Stec 55x, a few come with the Stec 30. I was just wondering if it had to have the full glass panel in order to intercept the glideslope and the ILs. Admittedly, I'm very ignorant of the terminology and technology. I really don't want to purchase a 10-12 year old airplane with a glass panel, I'm afraid it may be close to the end of it's normal service life.
I fly with my buddy in his A36, it has a 3 axis with altitude preselect. He manually turns the yaw dampener off because it slows the plane a couple knots or so. The altitude preselect is the shizzle... absolutely awesome.

Unless you have altitude preselect and a 3 axis there is no.... Set decent rate or climb rate and altitude and push ARM; so, your 2 axis won't fly your approach vertical profile, per say. It'll intercept the localizer, or fly any heading you want, (via flight director/heading) but you will have to step her down, I think.... Extended decents with vectors to the ILS are when you will fall I love with the AP, based on my experience anyways....

RNC

Quote from: Pistol Pete on March 30, 2013, 09:59:50 pm

Considering the cost of adding it yourself I would limit the shopping to those that already have a 55.

The 30 can't trim the plane, it beeps at you to do it.  The 55 can.

Pistol Pete

Quote from: RNC on March 31, 2013, 06:22:27 pm
Considering the cost of adding it yourself I would limit the shopping to those that already have a 55.

The 30 can't trim the plane, it beeps at you to do it.  The 55 can.

I see, thanks. The used planes sold through Cirrus that have a 55 are upgraded to a DFC 90. From what I understand, that's the hot ticket these days.

gotyacovered

Quote from: Pistol Pete on March 31, 2013, 07:54:04 pm
I see, thanks. The used planes sold through Cirrus that have a 55 are upgraded to a DFC 90. From what I understand, that's the hot ticket these days.

ya, buying any of the SR-20's that are newer than 2002, i wouldn't think it'll be an issue.

as an aside, i would offer that the value of the altitude preselect is much higher, maybe, than RNC thinks. and when i say value i am not really talking about money;D would it be resonable to add it to an existing autopilot? i have no idea, but if you are getting one installed? worth it. but PP.... i dont think its gonna matter to you, i bet most of them will have it...its really nice to input the altitude and decent rate and hit the ARM button... much more fun rolling the pitch dial on the AP--its a lot easier to bust an assigned altitude that way--also.

i should probably shut up since a I have a whopping 4 approaches and only about 6 hours in planes with AP's (one had altitude preselect and one did not) ;D

RNC

Yeah I don't really care about it, cost considered.  2 axis for flying the approach by itself, preferably with the ability to trim itself?  Great, I can see the value in that.  But I don't need it to climb for me. 

gotyacovered

Quote from: RNC on April 01, 2013, 05:33:07 pm
Yeah I don't really care about it, cost considered.  2 axis for flying the approach by itself, preferably with the ability to trim itself?  Great, I can see the value in that.  But I don't need it to climb for me. 

It's not the trim I want altitude preselect for... It's the ability to select an altitude, set decent rate and hit ARM. every AP I've seen that is two axis there is a roller (for lack of a better word) and when you want to descend/climb it'll take you down at a rate depending on how much you roll the dial... And when you get to your desired altitude you have to neutral it back out, including leading the decent, You cannot pre-select the altitude you desire.

gotyacovered

Correction: you can have altitude preselect on a 2 axis pilot... I was wrong about that, as I am sure other items in this thread;D

Point is without altitude preselect you have to tell it when to stop climbing/descending... So while in precision approach mode I am not sure it will fly the whole approach without constant input, and the non-prescion approach can be flown, although prob not advisable, with altitude preselect. It is awesome on the MAP, I can attest to that.

Sorry for showing my ignorance on the subject.

RNC

Only reason I have studied more is my dad is paranoid about it enough that he was offering to pitch in the 30k for me to buy a new autopilot, I talked him out of it.

Initially we were looking at adding an stec30 just for alt hold, but decided against that too based on the 30's limitations.

I have the original factory autopilot which is just a rebranded single axis Century system.

I see it as falling under the same category as GPS/NAV/COMM units.  They cost too much.  They look a lot better for half/third price on a used plane.  Makes a lot more sense to just sell your plane and buy one with the stuff you want, rather than eat the 30-35k hit.  If shopping for another plane anyways it's a no brainier, limit the search to those with a full ap/flight director setup and accept nothing less.

gotyacovered

Quote from: RNC on April 01, 2013, 08:44:02 pm
Only reason I have studied more is my dad is paranoid about it enough that he was offering to pitch in the 30k for me to buy a new autopilot, I talked him out of it.

Initially we were looking at adding an stec30 just for alt hold, but decided against that too based on the 30's limitations.

I have the original factory autopilot which is just a rebranded single axis Century system.

I see it as falling under the same category as GPS/NAV/COMM units.  They cost too much.  They look a lot better for half/third price on a used plane.  Makes a lot more sense to just sell your plane and buy one with the stuff you want, rather than eat the 30-35k hit.  If shopping for another plane anyways it's a no brainier, limit the search to those with a full ap/flight director setup and accept nothing less.

Welp, that's one way too look at it ;D

I think the good airframe/engine route will be the direction for me when the next purchase comes... Good plane with dated avionics and put what I want in it....

$30k!!! You could almost put in a 750/650 for that, def dual 650's!!!

Dude at that avionics shop said $15k in new avionics will return $10k on sale price day after install. Have no idea if that's true. I know my plane with a 650 in it is ALOT more marketable with a 650... Either way, I wouldn't want to try and sell right now, would be miserable.

Pistol Pete

Quote from: RNC on April 01, 2013, 08:44:02 pm

That's one of the reasons we're looking at Cirrus. Their used ones are pretty affordable (since I have my brother as a partner), and they're all equipped with recent avionics and such.
I think it's better for me to purchase the next one the way I want it... However, I don't really know if Cirrus has many problems with their 10 year old avionics.

gotyacovered

Quote from: Pistol Pete on April 01, 2013, 10:18:31 pm
That's one of the reasons we're looking at Cirrus. Their used ones are pretty affordable (since I have my brother as a partner), and they're all equipped with recent avionics and such.
I think it's better for me to purchase the next one the way I want it... However, I don't really know if Cirrus has many problems with their 10 year old avionics.

Just make sure everything's WAAS and you'll be fine, from what I understand. The cost with that stuff is keeping it up to date.

RNC

Quote from: gotyacovered on April 01, 2013, 09:29:10 pm
Welp, that's one way too look at it ;D

I think the good airframe/engine route will be the direction for me when the next purchase comes... Good plane with dated avionics and put what I want in it....

$30k!!! You could almost put in a 750/650 for that, def dual 650's!!!

Dude at that avionics shop said $15k in new avionics will return $10k on sale price day after install. Have no idea if that's true. I know my plane with a 650 in it is ALOT more marketable with a 650... Either way, I wouldn't want to try and sell right now, would be miserable.

Yep, I've looked through the previous owner of mine's invoices.  530, sl30, gtx330, two Garmin glide slope receivers, GPS coupling to the factory autopilot, and the upgrade of the 530 to WAAS later on....about 45k all total.

I gave him 25k for all of it on the resale above the base value of the plane....3 blade prop was on the house...

GusMcRae

I'm having a couple of issues with my Garmin aera 560.

Issue #1:  Data fields that I have set up in the corners, none of the data shows up,,, it shows a title of what is supposed to be there i.e. Desired Tracking (DTK), Estimated Time Remaining, Distance Remaining are the ones that are missing.  Only think it is showing is the actual heading, and the ground speed.

Issue #2:  XM has a big red X through it,,, no communicado.
Really ticks me off that I pay for that service every month,, and when there is actually some weather popping up that I want to monitor, damn thing doesn't work.

I have not checked behind the panel to see if the antenna has come un-plugged.
Also, have not had a recent software up grade. 

Those are the two things I've been told to check.

gotyacovered

Quote from: GusMcRae on June 17, 2013, 01:16:53 pm
I'm having a couple of issues with my Garmin aera 560.

Issue #1:  Data fields that I have set up in the corners, none of the data shows up,,, it shows a title of what is supposed to be there i.e. Desired Tracking (DTK), Estimated Time Remaining, Distance Remaining are the ones that are missing.  Only think it is showing is the actual heading, and the ground speed.

Issue #2:  XM has a big red X through it,,, no communicado.
Really ticks me off that I pay for that service every month,, and when there is actually some weather popping up that I want to monitor, damn thing doesn't work.

I have not checked behind the panel to see if the antenna has come un-plugged.
Also, have not had a recent software up grade. 

Those are the two things I've been told to check.

Have you hooked her up to the computer lately? May need a software update...

You check antennae continuity for XM?