Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My dad just soloed at 78 years young!

Started by GusMcRae, March 03, 2012, 10:58:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

GusMcRae

He just sent me a text about 30 minutes ago.  I was grinning from ear to ear!  So excited for him.  I will see him in a little while and get the rundown.  Hopefully our CFI will send me a picture.  I wish he would cut his shirt off but he doesn't do the shirt thing.
Couldn't wait to post it here.
It took him up around 40 hours or so to get there,,, and had about a month layoff.  He got over 3 hours of lessons in yesterday, and then back out again today.  I had no idea that today would be the day.
I think this is worthy of his picture and short solo story in AOPA's "FLIGHT Training" magazine. 
I'M STOKED!
It ain't dieing I'm talking about Woodrow,,,, It's living!

Being a pilot isn't all seat-of-the-pants flying and glory. It's self- discipline, practice, study, analysis and preparation. It's precision. If you can't keep the gauges where you want them with everything free and easy, how can you keep them there when everything goes wrong?

bvillepig

gotyacovered

Good stuff, wish he would cut his shirt!
You are what you tolerate.

Flying Razorback

Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

GusMcRae

March 05, 2012, 12:29:02 pm #4 Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 07:31:59 am by gotyacovered
He said he wasn't nervous,,, but he was excited after he did it.  I can tell it gave him a shot of confidence.  I think he must've been getting discouraged.  He's all pumped to get to work on his written.  He had already gotten his medical shorty after he started lesson.  Anyway, I can tell it's given him a boost.  I don't have any pics yet.

Being a pilot isn't all seat-of-the-pants flying and glory. It's self- discipline, practice, study, analysis and preparation. It's precision. If you can't keep the gauges where you want them with everything free and easy, how can you keep them there when everything goes wrong?

GusMcRae

A few weeks after I posted this, my Dad took a long break from lessons (1 year and 8 months or so).
He's back up in the air as we speak.  He'll be 80 in about a month.

gotyacovered

that is cool gus, something you can spend time with your pops doing, you both love.
You are what you tolerate.