Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

All A-State to Somewhere Post

Started by BPsTheMan, June 06, 2016, 10:13:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HogCzar1

I don't think it would be a let down. And, to be fair, once practice starts, my attention will shift.

But, from what has been said publicly and privately from key ASU supporters, they do not think in any way that ASU is inferior to any Big 12 potential candidate. We have learned this summer, from ASU's own AD, that their revenue will increase from 28 to over 40 million dollars. The moderator has confirmed this.

That growth exceeds any of the potential candidates. Mohajir, nor many of the key ASU boosters, will be satisfied with what some think is a better future with the AAC. By the time the Big 12 expands, the fallout will leave the AAC looking as attractive as Conference USA does today. And that is, not nearly as attractive as it used to be.

The ASU ultimate goal is SEC admission. They do know that isn't likely soon. They know that Big 12 admission is a great stepping stone to what they seek in the future.

As far as this season is concerned, ASU is so far ahead of most everyone on their schedule in terms of talent that I don't expect much more than lopsided games every week. And with a team that is expected to be the best G5 team in America this fall, ASU should not lose to Auburn. Even on the road. Any prediction that ASU would lose to Auburn would be inconsistent with the prediction of being the premiere G5 team.

I think the only real interesting issue about this season is whether at the end, an undefeated ASU squad is more appropriately suited for the Cotton Bowl or the National Championship game.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on July 30, 2016, 04:39:23 pm
Definitely Herbstreit. I bet that's Corso disguised as the food cart.

That rolled up thing he's holding in his left hand?  The B1G Ten's master plan for replacing Purdue with AState.  It's top secret and written in hieroglyphics.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Jackrabbit Hog

Mezzanine Report is reporting that Jim Harbaugh is strongly considering reneging on the upcoming series with Notre Dame because of a chance for a home-and-home with the Red Wolves.  Normally I don't put much credence into such stories - and Mezzanine Report is one of the worst - but this story actually makes sense if you think about it.

At this point, Notre Dame is essentially an ACC team.  Michigan is, of course, a cornerstone program of the B1G Ten - the SAME B1G TEN THAT IS ABOUT TO OFFER MEMBERSHIP TO ASTATE!  Htarbaugh is a forward thinking guy, and it would be a shrewd move for him to get a couple of games against the Red Wolves under his belt as a non-conference foe before having to gear up to play them every year in the conference.  It's brilliant really. 

I hear Michigan will have to pay Notre Dame $10.5 million to get out of the contract, but that's a small price to pay for the prestige and national spotlight potential of a UM-ASU series.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Seminole Indian

It's really a rigged system, so there is no chance any G5 will be in the NC game ever, so that is off the table.

It's not impossible I guess that they could be in the hunt for the G5 spot this year. Not likely but not impossible, but probably would have to go 12-0.

B12? Read somewhere where a coach over there said a couple of former member schools wanted back in, so I'm still holding out hope Arkansas shocks the world and makes the move. Just a better fit. 

SEC? No Arkansas school needs to be in a league where Texas ain't, and Alabama is. Just ain't right.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

Seminole Indian

Quote from: HogCzar1 on July 30, 2016, 09:39:34 pm
Playing the Razorbacks is the ultimate goal. Becoming part of the SEC is how they can guarantee it. They want Arkansas to become a mirror image of Mississippi with Ole Miss and MSU. And, no, they haven't lowered the bar.

There are some ASU supporters that do believe that the only reason that ASU isn't already at that level is Frank Broyles. And that isn't an exaggeration.
All that would guarantee is Arkansas to the  B12, and fast.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

Seminole Indian

Seminole Indian

I heard something different. He found out that Notre Dame was trying to arrange a game with A-State but would not agree to a home and home with the Red Wolves. Of Course A-State said no to their request for a non-return game , but the idea that any school though they were to good to play the mighty Red Wolves at their place just rubbed him the wrong way. Just ain't the American way.

thebignasty

I'm hearing that the meeting was in the secret room at Chick fil a and that it went very very well, Herbie was impressed with the wolfs presentation.

BPsTheMan

Quote from: thebignasty on July 31, 2016, 04:45:44 am
I'm hearing that the meeting was in the secret room at Chick fil a and that it went very very well, Herbie was impressed with the wolfs presentation.

I just love that place

now it could possibly go down in ASU lore

Seminole Indian

HogCzar1

Quote from: Seminole Indian on July 30, 2016, 11:21:41 pm
All that would guarantee is Arkansas to the  B12, and fast.

No, it wouldn't. To leave the SEC for a Big 12 for any reason would be one of the worst business decisions in history.

In spite of the moderator's wish for Arkansas to go to the Big 12, that is never going to happen.

And also, when ASU is given the opportunity to join a major P5 conference, we will see if the argument that being the big fish in a smaller pond (G5) wins out over being a part of a P5 conference.

We will wait and see if Mohajir turns down that invite.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: HogCzar1 on July 31, 2016, 08:21:33 pm
No, it wouldn't. To leave the SEC for a Big 12 for any reason would be one of the worst business decisions in history.

In spite of the moderator's wish for Arkansas to go to the Big 12, that is never going to happen.

And also, when ASU is given the opportunity to join a major P5 conference, we will see if the argument that being the big fish in a smaller pond (G5) wins out over being a part of a P5 conference.

We will wait and see if Mohajir turns down that invite.
Business maybe, athletic program I respectfully disagree, and while I know I'm in the minority, I do feel that the B-12 is a better fit for Arkansas, but I don't think Arkansas will go to the B-12. That would not go over well with the people that made the decision to join the SEC who are still forces to be dealt with when it come to all things Razorbacks.

Last I heard from the A-State AD, if the AAC invites them they are excepting in a heart beat, so I assume he would do the same if a P5 invited them.

Now Dallas or bust!!!

Seminole Indian

Among the 17 schools that will make their presentations to the Big 12 are? Cincinnati, Houston, BYU, South Florida,? UCF, UConn, Memphis, Colorado State, Boise State, Tulane, Temple, East Carolina, SMU,? New Mexico,? Northern Illinois, San Diego State?and Arkansas State, sources said.

No UCA? Typo I'm sure.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/big-12-interview-17-schools-expansion-sources/story?id=41327993

https://twitter.com/McMurphyESPN?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Seminole Indian

Looks like the B12 is sizing teams up for the post Texas/Oklahoma era, and A-State is jockeying for position in the AAC post who ever goes to the Big-12 era.

HogCzar1

The ASU AD is not going through this exercise simply to make ASU look attractive to the AAC. Some laughed when I mentioned how serious the ASU AD is about becoming a P5 school.

Last week it was reported that he had made comments that he thought ASU was better than most all Big 12 candidates in every sport.

I still am not sure why ASU supporters think this is a way to garner interest for AAC membership. Again, if the top 4-5 schools out of the AAC leave for the Big 12, then how much better off would ASU be in the AAC compared to where they are now? In fact, their travel costs would be substantially higher. And, they would still be a G5 school.

Mohajir knows that he and the select group that are leading ASU have to get to a P5 level. They also know that their is another shakeup of conferences in the future.

The one thing that ASU supporters and fans are going to have to realize is that in order to play at this level the fans are going to have to accept and deliver on much higher ticket prices, and a much higher level of area support. They realize that those who openly complained about the cost of Missouri tickets last year ( one explanation for failing to sell out their own stadium against a SEC team) are simply going to have to get ready for $60-80 dollar tickets.

ASU is not going through all this "to increase brand awareness". Decisions on conference membership are not made on that basis. Rather, they are made on cold hard business decisions. Mohajir made the statement that the reason they aren't higher in the perceived pecking order was that they haven't yet beaten one of the big boys. That didn't help ULM when they beat Alabama early in the Saban tenure.

Seminole Indian

August 13, 2016, 02:40:56 pm #66 Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 02:53:12 pm by Seminole Indian
https://twitter.com/TroySchulteADG/status/764222625505697792/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Bottom line for A-State is they wants to take advantage of the success of their football program and keep their name out there, if and when when change comes.

Not sure if they would leave the SBC for any other G5 but the AAC, and no one associated with A-State anticipates a P5 invite unless the Big-12 were to totally collapse at some point in the future, and it may, and then there would not be a P5 any more. A P4, and a G5 with what ever name the old Big 12 re-branded itself as, and the current G5 minus one.

asuato

AAC is the only conference ASU would leave the Belt for. CUSA is Sun Belt redux.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: asuato on August 13, 2016, 10:07:14 pm
AAC is the only conference ASU would leave the Belt for. CUSA is Sun Belt redux.
Had everyone known where college football was going early on in realignment, A-State would almost certainly be in CUSA, along with a slightly different mix of schools, and everyone associated with  CUSA wishes they had a reset button.

A-State has accomplished what it wanted, growing their program to where they can win consistently, and compete for a Conference every year, and improve their brand ( which is everything in college football).

They are as well positioned as any G5 to take advantage of the next round of realignment if it happens, and there is not a G5 Conference out there that will not consider them as a very attractive candidate, if they chose to leave the SBC.